ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SYRACUSE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

This was such a big time win. The Cuse was extra motivated for this game. I have friends who are Cuse fans so I'm soo glad they didn't sweep us. We survived and added a new weapon in AOC.

Last edited:
The ones that want to be right are fuming right now.
Is it just me, or do we seem to have guys post I never see except on game day and when Duke is not playing up to par? Then after they start handling business, they seem to disappear. I'm not going to mention the names tonight, but there are a few that I have noticed. Maybe it's their busy schedule that only allows them to come on game day and when duke is maybe struggling a little bit. Could just be me though.

Huge win tonight! Get some much needed rest and be ready to roll on Tues in Blacksburg! We get that one we are in good shape going into the Nose Dome I believe

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
We win by 20 if Javin converts half of those lobs. Great win by the guys!

These kids are not afraid of playing in front of large crowds!

Reactions: skysdad
Is it just me, or do we seem to have guys post I never see except on game day and when Duke is not playing up to par? Then after they start handling business, they seem to disappear. I'm not going to mention the names tonight, but there are a few that I have noticed. Maybe it's their busy schedule that only allows them to come on game day and when duke is maybe struggling a little bit. Could just be me though.

You are correct in your observation sir. OFC

And I understand that but there's been some comments made thathe Zion is gone because Baker is now playing. Things like that bother me. I know things like that are said out of frustration sometimes but every now and then one needs to hold their fingers off the keyboard. Gracious only knows what would be going on if we lost. We as a boaRd take care lot of pride in being not like thr and RR. But at times we sound like both of them . Positive thing is we won, Zion's coming back and nobody and I mean nobody wants to deal with Zion or Duke. Nothing would make teams happier to see Zion say I've had enough but that ain't happening. We need to stay as positive as he is. OFC

Ahhh, gotcha. I thought you were referring to people mentioning Tre or Cam’s poor shooting, or something of the sort. I was just thinking like hey now... I think anyone can agree that Tre shouldn’t be shooting 6 threes before halftime!!! Lol

I see what you’re saying and I agree. No sense in making negative Zion speculations because Baker suited up. Zion WILL be back, you are right about that!!!

Reactions: skysdad
Ahhh, gotcha. I thought you were referring to people mentioning Tre or Cam’s poor shooting, or something of the sort. I was just thinking like hey now... I think anyone can agree that Tre shouldn’t be shooting 6 threes before halftime!!! Lol

I see what you’re saying and I agree. No sense in making negative Zion speculations because Baker suited up. Zion WILL be back, you are right about that!!!

Thanks .OFC

Every team in the country can only hope to get us not at full strength. Gonzage caught us early in the season and struggled to hang on against these young guns, and the ACC, the only time Duke has lost was not at full strength. Next!!!!!!!

Gonzaga won because they stole Steph Curry’s shooting powers in the 1st half and part of the 2nd half shooting around 75% against solid defense. That’s fluke! — Once Curry’s powers were returned, Duke managed to nearly erase a 15pt deficit the last 15 minutes against normal percentages against a top 5 team. Would have won if they weren’t held scoreless the final 1:45 of the game.

The ranking committee has to “do their job” and lower us in the polls but there’s no doubt that we’re #1 when healthy.

Reactions: dukehokie
Bolden has played great and is a key to this game if we win.

I think the reason he doesn't get minutes is that he makes too many mental errors (stepping out of bounds; over the back; etc.). That's excusable if you are playing 30 minutes and making great plays. But, making those mistakes every game when he's only playing 10-15 minutes is just too problematic. K can't trust his consistency.

He got pushed out of bounds, and that over the back featured very little contact. A smaller guy had the inside positioning on the FT, and the ref anticipated contact.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Jack has missed his last 25 3PT attempts... This team didn’t need a defensive boost tonight, it needed an offensive one. I’m sure the gameplan wasn’t for Jack to sit the whole game but AOC was delivering too well to pull out of the game.

I'm not so sure on the game plan? I didn't look to me like Duke was planning on playing Jack. If they were planning on playing him why would he not come in when Baker came in? I wonder if he was hurt or sick? AOC is a really good shooter. I just think he needs more minutes so he can get in the flow and comfortable. I thought Bolden played really strong when he came in. Surely K didn't burn Baker's if he didnt haveva plan for him long term.

Doesn’t particularly have to do with tonight’s game but I’m not going to create a thread over it. I have an interesting statistic to share.

3PT attempts per game (senior / final yr)
Redick - 9
Scheyer, Trajan, Battier, Jay, Grayson - 7
Other prolific sharpshooters - 6 or less
Cam Reddish - 8

JJ’s fr/so years he was averaging around 7 attempts and shooting 39-40% — I just can’t help but to feel extremely bothered by what’s in bold compared to the stats above it. :confused:

Doesn’t particularly have to do with tonight’s game but I’m not going to create a thread over it. I have an interesting statistic to share.

3PT attempts per game (senior / final yr)
Redick - 9
Scheyer, Trajan, Battier, Jay, Grayson - 7
Other prolific sharpshooters - 6 or less
Cam Reddish - 8

JJ’s fr/so years he was averaging around 7 attempts and shooting 39-40% — I just can’t help but to feel extremely bothered by what’s in bold compared to the stats above it. :confused:

I think some of it has to do with this....I saw an interview with RJ, Zion and Cam, and they were asked, with the game on the line and needing a 3, who should shoot it? RJ and Zion immediately pointed and said Cam. I also remember someone in here once saying they were at either a practice or pre game shoot around and said Cam hit like 15 3's in a row. I guess what I'm getting at is when someone passes it to Cam at the arc, and he lets it fly, they both have confidence that it's going in. Seeing him drill so many in practice and at shoot around probably make them feel that way....just a guess though. We've seen him have games when he's deadly back there. And as a competitor and maybe having hit a ton in practice, I think he's just confident that they are gonna start falling. Also, K sees what's going on and he apparently doesn't tell him to stop shooting them, so he apparently has confidence in them also. It does get frustrating watching clang after clang though

I think some of it has to do with this....I saw an interview with RJ, Zion and Cam, and they were asked, with the game on the line and needing a 3, who should shoot it? RJ and Zion immediately pointed and said Cam. I also remember someone in here once saying they were at either a practice or pre game shoot around and said Cam hit like 15 3's in a row. I guess what I'm getting at is when someone passes it to Cam at the arc, and he lets it fly, they both have confidence that it's going in. Seeing him drill so many in practice and at shoot around probably make them feel that way....just a guess though. We've seen him have games when he's deadly back there. And as a competitor and maybe having hit a ton in practice, I think he's just confident that they are gonna start falling. Also, K sees what's going on and he apparently doesn't tell him to stop shooting them, so he apparently has confidence in them also. It does get frustrating watching clang after clang though

I’d say your guess is right on the money and that’s fair. We wouldn’t have won without him at Virginia or Fl St, even aside from the last second heroic shot, he banged ‘em that game. Heck I think he was 0-6 from 3 until he got hot at Louisville and won us that game. If we didn’t trust in Cam, we wouldn’t of won those games. He dropped in 7 or 8 against a weaker team earlier in the year, can’t remember who but that doesn’t matter. Still an impressive number. To add to the team’s confidence, I don’t ever expect a miss when he launches it. His shot selections are usually good and I know he’s capable of making it. Never really felt frustrated with him about it unless it’s happening multiple times in a string of possessions - which is rare.

I watch all of our games, if I look at the box score afterwards it’s just for decoration. Of course I’ve noticed the 1-8, 1-9, 3-12, etc. box scores but I usually look past it. We’re getting wins, so ultimately that doesn’t matter.

I guess just noticing tonight that he’s literally averaging 8 attempts per game made me curious about JJ’s numbers. Just kind of baffled me a little bit that he’s virtually shooting just as much as the greatest in history while averaging a percentage that’s below average.

I'll be the first to say that I didn't think we would win this game. Loved seeing us come out like we have something to prove and I love seeing Alex burn the net up.

It’s one thing to say, he has taken some bad shots and made bad decisions. Absolutely agree. But to insinuate selfishness is just plain wrong.

RJ presses a little bit, sometimes. He did it way more early on in the season, then he does now. To be such a skilled, dominate offensive player, and getting comfortable and adjusting to the college game will do that. He is by no means a ball hog, and is a very willing passer. He’s just use to dominating people, and probably is use to getting way more calls on the drive, then he does in college. He has done an anazing job adjusting his game, and is playing efficient, unselfish basketball! I love him, always have!

Rj was an assassin last night. Watching him shred the zone was something to behold, he reminds me of Kobe, he isn’t scared to be the guy. AoC had an amazing game but he’s gonna have to do that more than once every 20 games before I’m convinced. Javin just looks lost 90% of the time.

Bolden on the other hand.....what great minutes he’s giving us. He is a monster rebounder.

Rj was an assassin last night. Watching him shred the zone was something to behold, he reminds me of Kobe, he isn’t scared to be the guy. AoC had an amazing game but he’s gonna have to do that more than once every 20 games before I’m convinced. Javin just looks lost 90% of the time.

Bolden on the other hand.....what great minutes he’s giving us. He is a monster rebounder.

Someone put up a stat aboit Bolden leading us in rebounds in just 10' of play.....wow!

Reactions: bfort2223
I’m proud of them. Everyone that stepped on the court battled all night especially Javin and Bolden. Boys I don’t know how this season will end but buckle up and enjoy the ride. I’ll be at the VT game Tuesday as well. Go Duke!!

Hey......I just noticed something.
Where are @QC Dukie and @DukeDenver tonight???

They didn't pick Cuse in the challenge did they???
Heck no. I will never never never pick against Duke. I mean who would do that?
Nah I try to stay away from here when we aren’t playing well, unlike some that only show up at that time.
Big time win last night. Our boys showed huge onions.

And I understand that but there's been some comments made thathe Zion is gone because Baker is now playing. Things like that bother me. I know things like that are said out of frustration sometimes but every now and then one needs to hold their fingers off the keyboard. Gracious only knows what would be going on if we lost. We as a boaRd take care lot of pride in being not like thr and RR. But at times we sound like both of them . Positive thing is we won, Zion's coming back and nobody and I mean nobody wants to deal with Zion or Duke. Nothing would make teams happier to see Zion say I've had enough but that ain't happening. We need to stay as positive as he is. OFC
Zions body language and facial expressions on the bench last lead me to believe that he has shut it down for the season. It was fun while it lasted.

Reactions: DukefanKY and dbav
The way Zion was jumping up and down on the bench I wouldn't be surprised at all if he played against VA. Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT