ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KANSAS NCAA TOURNAMENT ELITE 8 OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I love this team and have loved watching them all year. I think our inability to stop the corner 3 is what does us in today.
Kansas 74
Duke 67

duhon you make a good point about that corner 3. Very frequently we get so caught up in covering the wing(Grant noted the other nite at times our zone looks like a "4-1")the corner becomes a blind spot for unmolested jumpers. Somehow we've got to contest that shot better! OFC

I’m just glad we are playing..nice to watch and cheer regardless what you think is going to happen...

Kansas reminds me a lot of the unc team that we had tons of problems with this year...I think they really exploit our zone today...we may have to change defenses in this one....

Duke 71
Kansas 77

I've heard that comparison too K, and its a very valid one. Hopefully we shoot the ball better than in those UNC losses and/or dont turn the ball over as much in those contests.

OFC

This game I think will keep me on the edge of my seat, but I think our guys come out with the close W and advance to the final four.

Duke: 76
KU: 71

Let’s go Duke!!!

Reactions: hart2chesson
UNC struggled against our zone when we played it fully the first time (2nd matchup). So hopefully, this Kansas team IS like UNC. :)
This is good too..also a lot harder to prepare for in a day as opposed to having the entire week...

Reactions: tripleb71
This is good too..also a lot harder to prepare for in a day as opposed to having the entire week...

This is what I am hoping. I've definitely heard analysts and coaches mention that you can't imagine or practice for the length Duke has in their zone until you line up and see it for the first time.

Since we switched to zone, our biggest struggles were against UNC who performed well when they saw it a second time after also playing Syracuse recently) and Virginia Tech (who also had seen it a few weeks prior and struggled first go around).

The corner 3 may very well be open as it has been. That isn't an easy shot though and no guarantee Kansas can figure out getting it there the first time they have seen it.

If anything beats us, I think it will be our #2 offense not showing up which it has to do against a Kansas team that gives up lots of points.

I think I mentioned earlier that I sat down and watched the entire Kansas vs. Syracuse game earlier in the season. Kansas basically posted someone in the middle who never moved. I almost couldn't believe that was the same exact Syracuse team we played in the tourney...their defense was lazy as Kansas got the ball in the middle every time with very little contest. The lobs were attempted a few times to Azabuke as well.

To me, if Duke can score over 70, we'll win. If we trend toward the 60's, then that tells us Kansas can statistically score right at or below 70 and we're in for a dogfight. Kansas, in my opinion, won't win any game they don't score 70 in.

Self did not go into detail (why would he?) about plans to defend Bagley tomorrow in Omaha. When a reporter alluded to a lack of bodies to defend him, Self shot back with, “have you not seen how big Svi (Mykhailiuk) is?”

-Self addressing the Bagley matchup

Reactions: christophero
Has Kansas played any teams that use a zone? Supposedly they’re the top zone busting teams since they shoot so well from 3. I’d like to see a junk zone, where Allen and duval play man and the rest play zone tonight. I just hope k has a plan to limit their 3s and attack uzubuike. As soon as he fouled out Clemson made a huge run. Uzubuike is what holds Kansas together

Has Kansas played any teams that use a zone? Supposedly they’re the top zone busting teams since they shoot so well from 3. I’d like to see a junk zone, where Allen and duval play man and the rest play zone tonight. I just hope k has a plan to limit their 3s and attack uzubuike. As soon as he fouled out Clemson made a huge run. Uzubuike is what holds Kansas together
They played Syracuse this year

The zone by itself makes 3's tougher since it puts you back a step. Plus, K has utilized some 3-2 against our earlier opponents.

The good news: we're one win away from the Final Four.
The bad news: that team is one seed Kansas
This one could go either way. My prediction Duke 77, Kansas 72. As a 2 seed we've done our job. Now let's go get that Final Four!

You know, the one thing about our zone defense that no one speaks about is how it keeps our players out of foul trouble. When folks complain about we don't get production from the bench, actually there is no need for that much production. Now, I'm not saying don't want to see production from the bench, it's just that it isn't needed because our star players aren't in foul trouble that much.

You know, the one thing about our zone defense that no one speaks about is how it keeps our players out of foul trouble. When folks complain about we don't get production from the bench, actually there is no need for that much production. Now, I'm not saying don't want to see production from the bench, it's just that it isn't needed because our star players aren't in foul trouble that much.
Good point. I think we see primarily a 6 man rotation today, with Javin and AOC playing a few minutes based on need. Today ain't the day to develop the bench.

Last edited:

Our guys get winded though. Carter is one that shouldn’t be playing the entire game. He’s shown signs of fatigue. Bolden does an excellent job when he goes in for him

We don’t get blown out so worst case scenario we will be behind in a tight game at the end and have to make a few big plays. Kansas has lost 5 games by 9 or more this year. It’s either a tight game at the end or we win big. I like our chances.

I hope you're right. Sometimes matchups are different than they look on paper. I'm looking at you Syracuse and RI.

Bolden is our X factor. Kansas does not have a guy like that off the bench. And Javin can give some fouls, which he probably will. :)

I wonder if they are gonna stick MYKHAILIUK in the middle of our zone. Will we come up and challenge or leave a dead zone like against UNC?
I’m more concerned about Vick and Newman running the baseline behind the zone like we did to Syracuse.

Last edited:
Our guys get winded though. Carter is one that shouldn’t be playing the entire game. He’s shown signs of fatigue. Bolden does an excellent job when he goes in for him

Yeah, big difference with subbing for players being tired or winded and players in foul trouble. By staying out of foul trouble, we get to control who is playing and by having our best players in the game at key moments. Big difference when you're constrained by foul trouble.

Carter isn't 100%, battling a heel/foot problem....

Yes but that has nothing to do with him clearly being winded at times. Haven’t seen it since the regular season though.

Yeah, big difference with subbing for players being tired or winded and players in foul trouble. By staying out of foul trouble, we get to control who is playing and by having our best players in the game at key moments. Big difference when you're constrained by foul trouble.

Yes but if our bench can produce while carter or bags is taking a quick break we don’t miss a step. Javin makes some plays but he really adds almost nothing offensively

Yes but that has nothing to do with him clearly being winded at times. Haven’t seen it since the regular season though.

Yes but if our bench can produce while carter or bags is taking a quick break we don’t miss a step. Javin makes some plays but he really adds almost nothing offensively
Unless we're playing Rhode Island. :)

Yes, if they can produce, that would be a bonus. I'm just saying they don't NEED to produce like in year's past when our starters were forced to sit due to foul trouble.

Nothing to do with being winded? Have you ever taken it lightly as compared to the gym for even 2-3 weeks, and then went full-tilt again? Lol, it has plenty to do with the injury. He didn't just suddenly become out of shape.

A couple of things, just so I feel better:
Grayson & Gary must come up big; Trevon limit TO's/play under control.
Limit Kansas 3 pt. shooting; Limit their transition baskets/they love to run.
Bags & Wendell play smart and win inside game.
Limit the TO's-Value every possession. Want & get every loose ball.
If it comes down to the last few minutes and things look desperate, please "K", tell them to take the piano off their backs and "go for it"! ;)
OK folks, I feel better, and thanks for listening. As you can see, I want to see these kids next weekend, and I pray to the "Basketball Gods" for Grayson and his team to get there. Amen
If we handle the things above, hey, just a walk in the park, and we survive and advance. I think Duke makes us proud today. We're 3-0 with 3 to go!
Go Duke!
OFC

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT