ADVERTISEMENT

Zion needs surgery

jrtplaya

Starter
Feb 25, 2006
Pelicans rookie star Zion Williamson underwent arthroscopic surgery for torn meniscus in right knee and will be out 6-to-8 weeks.

I have a fear that he's going to turn into a Greg Oden type player, where we never see his true potential due to constant injury. This is already the second time this off season that injury has kept him out of normal participation. After all, he is abnormally heavy for his height, that's a lot of weight/stress coming down on those knees time and time again.

Wow, this went from a knee strain to a torn meniscus quickly.

I'm sure he's getting the best of care and rehabilitation and hopefully he'll put this behind him.

Fornatuely or Unfornatuely, however you look at it, Zion knows only one way to play the game. As big as he is and as determined as he plays, I greatly worry about the lower parts of his body. College is rough enough but he must feel like he needs to play as hard as he can each and every time he's on the floor in the NBA. The stress on his body has to be beyond imaginable compared to us mortals.

Hate this for him! Tomorrow night was going to be a huge opening night in the NBA! Hope he gets healthy and comes up more explosive
Have tickets for tomorrow night and am devastated that he won't be playing. I'm also going to NO when the Raptors are there, but he'll still be on the IR then, so I guess it just wasn't meant to be this year.

Devastating. Given his physique and explosiveness + paired with 2 knee injuries within a year before his NBA debut.... I'm going to keep my mouth shut, but I just really hope that he sheds the odds. He's a once in a lifetime talent.

Reactions: skysdad
The Pelicans are @ the TrailBlazers on 12/23. There were 2 seats in the first row right behind the Pelicans bench on sale for a pretty penny a month or so ago. I had the tickets selected and was in the checkout screen when my conscious got the better of me and I closed the window without buying them. Mainly bc my wife would see the purchase and decide she gets to spend the equivalent amount of $ on something frivolous and I already loathe the sight of too many purses.

Turns out Zion might not even be back by then. Thank you, conscious!

Get well soon, Zion!

I bought tickets for when he and the rest of Duke South play at Charlotte on Nov. 9th. Sucks he won't be playing, but there will be plenty of brotherhood to cheer for.
Yup, sounds about right. You only go to a hornets game to watch the other team play.

OT thT really sucks. I hope he can stay injury free for the most part in the league. He has so much potential.

Can’t see how he stays healthy. I honestly wonder if the pelicans would be best served playing him no more then 40 games a year or something like that.

I really hope we get to see him healthy

Hate this for him. The NBA seasons are long af. Zion is going to *really* need to pace himself throughout his career.

He’s such a unique prospect. It’s rare to have someone that can be out 8 weeks...then come back and be tour best player without needing the ball in his hands or shoot at a high volume.

he’s a rare case IMO of a guy who could sit out long stretches of seasons and make an impact when it matters.

the playoffs are rough though...not sure we will ever see him go 70+ and playoffs

The Pelicans are @ the TrailBlazers on 12/23. There were 2 seats in the first row right behind the Pelicans bench on sale for a pretty penny a month or so ago. I had the tickets selected and was in the checkout screen when my conscious got the better of me and I closed the window without buying them. Mainly bc my wife would see the purchase and decide she gets to spend the equivalent amount of $ on something frivolous and I already loathe the sight of too many purses.

Turns out Zion might not even be back by then. Thank you, conscious!

Get well soon, Zion!

What if that ends up being Zion's first career game?

So sorry to hear about this for Zion. He was (and still is) on the precipice of becoming the next new face of the NBA. I hope he comes back strong.

As much as I hate the OAD system, I am glad Zion got his money from his shoe contract, even more so now. :(

Yeah, this sucks, but I'm not ready to succumb to the urge to proclaim he's going to be injury prone...yet. The shoe blowout was a pretty freaky thing (and not his body's fault), so I'm not so sure that one should count toward injury proneness. Other heavier than normal players (Barkley, Shaq, etc.) have had very productive careers without too many injuries. I know Zion is more explosive than almost anyone ever at his size, but I prefer to be optimistic at this point.
Make a quick and complete recovery, Zion!

OFC

Fornatuely or Unfornatuely, however you look at it, Zion knows only one way to play the game. As big as he is and as determined as he plays, I greatly worry about the lower parts of his body. College is rough enough but he must feel like he needs to play as hard as he can each and every time he's on the floor in the NBA. The stress on his body has to be beyond imaginable compared to us mortals.
He’s like a modern day Earl Campbell. He actually gives too much effort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT