ADVERTISEMENT

Your reaction if…

1. Anyone who thinks Jon is going to bring in anyone from outside Duke is delusional. That's just not how it's done at Duke, good or bad.

2. Jon did almost all of our recruiting so recruiting strategies aren't going to change. Honestly, I'm not expecting a whole lot to change in general (and I mean that with no shade towards Jon or K). I think K has been letting Jon handle most coaching duties the last couple seasons now and, as far as I've heard, even handles practices by himself. I noticed during the tourney that Jon was making substitutions independent of K.

Jon is kind of K's protege, and as the narrative goes, has the head coaching position because he'll act as an extension of K. This is supposedly why K didn't want someone like Amaker to come in and take the program over.

Having said that, I have no idea how much truth there is in it.

Jon is going to mix it up more. This is his team now. Expect some changes. The program will still be ran in a great way. But K wants Jon to run his own race. And he will. How that turns out remains to be seen.

Reactions: Baller224
Jon is going to mix it up more. This is his team now. Expect some changes. The program will still be ran in a great way. But K wants Jon to run his own race. And he will. How that turns out remains to be seen.
Do you have inside knowledge we don't have or are you just hoping? Not knocking Jon; we just have no idea what his plans are.

Do you have inside knowledge we don't have or are you just hoping? Not knocking Jon; we just have no idea what his plans are.
This is the first coaching change at duke in my life so yeah it’s defiantly new

No real inside knowledge. Just conjecture and speculation. Only Jon truly knows. I'm just going off of 3rd and 4th hand sources at this point. Don't put much stock in my information, haha That said, I would be shocked if we saw the exact same coaching philosophy. Jon is going to do it his way.

No real inside knowledge. Just conjecture and speculation. Only Jon truly knows. I'm just going off of 3rd and 4th hand sources at this point. Don't put much stock in my information, haha That said, I would be shocked if we saw the exact same coaching philosophy. Jon is going to do it his way.
With no intention of ill towards K, I hope Jon truly has the freedom to do it his way (whatever that may look like). Which, again, I’m not sure we haven’t seen a preview of Jon at the helm.

With no intention of ill towards K, I hope Jon truly has the freedom to do it his way (whatever that may look like). Which, again, I’m not sure we haven’t seen a preview of Jon at the helm.
I think we're going to find out. This is going to be a very interesting off-season. With the early declare date of April 24th, we will be seeing a lot of movement here in the next month. Jon is going to get everyone excited for next year even with all we're losing.

Nolan may have felt he was passed over, or maybe Louisville offered a big pay raise. But I don't see how Nolan would think he was passed over, as Jon has assumed more responsibility for a while now and was ahead of him in the pecking order.. It could not have been a huge secret that he was being groomed. It is a good opportunity for him.

Last edited:
Nolan may have felt he was passed over, or maybe Louisville offered a big pay raise. But I don't see how Nolan would think he was passed over, as Jon has assumed more responsibility for a while now and was ahead of him in the pecking order.. It could not have been a huge secret that he was being groomed. It is a good opportunity for him.
I read where Nolan will be paid $1M a year to be the head assistant at Louisville. I doubt this has anything to do with Jon.

I’m ready for Scheyer and new Duke era.

The torch has been passed . I wish Nolan well. He will get a head coaching job soon. I just don't like it when we have an assistant coach or player go into the ACC. We have three now with Brey, Capel and Smith. It has nothing to do with betrayal. I just don't think anyone is comfortable with it. Even when Johnny Dawkins' team played I for sure didn't want them to beat us but I didn't want a blow out. It's not gonna change for me with Jon at the helm. Just don't care to play against Dukies because they are still and always will be Dukies. OFC

That video of JWill may have been the dumbest shit I have ever heard.

He said (1) Coach K may return. No chance. (2) Nolan has been Duke's lead recruiter "for a WHILE." Nolan was an assistant coach for one season at Duke. One. And Jon was still the main recruiter by a mile. (3) Nolan may call Duke's incoming recruits to come to Louisville since they're both in the ACC. I guess this would be one way to be hated for life by your alma mater. And (4) that Duke may need to start recruiting 3 star players now. This is laughable, and I now think JWill is way out of touch.

Agree 100% Chris. JWill was an amazing player at Duke, I wish we had that type of point guard every year. Remember the miracle minute?!?!?!

But as an announcer he tries to be so alarming and controversial with things that it makes him look silly. These guys all want to make a name for themselves, and on some level I guess I get that. But so many seem to want to be Steven A Smith. Gimme a break.

There is ZERO chance K is coming back. That would be the dumbest move in sports history.

Reactions: christophero
If this Coach K story is not true, which it likely is, it is also a little tone deaf of Williams to say this. K is already getting criticism for a likely untrue rumor. I really don't know why he would say this unless it is for attention. he's becoming one of those guys I turn the channel when he is on, which is a shame because I loved him as a player.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT