ADVERTISEMENT

Your reaction if…

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
Middle of May, Duke calls a press conference. K and Jon together. K says he’s taken a lot of time to be with his family and talk with them and Jon and he agrees, it’s not time to hang it up and I’m coming back to duke for at least a year.. Jon will stay on as heir apparent

• Haha
Reactions: Mac9192
Middle of May, Duke calls a press conference. K and Jon together. K says he’s taken a lot of time to be with his family and talk with them and Jon and he agrees, it’s not time to hang it up and I’m coming back to duke for at least a year.. Jon will stay on as heir apparent
I'd be ok with it, but I do agree I'm interested in seeing what Jon can do.

No. God bless K and I love the man forever, but it's time to fight fire with fire again. Davis baited the refs all nite into getting calls. We need that YOUTH again and exuberance K had in his earlier years.

I will say this however. What Mike Krzyzewski did for Duke University will never be equaled again.

OFC

Agree with Hart. To add my 2 cents, I think Duke basketball has become its own sideshow. Definitely this season, but I think it’s been like this for several seasons now. A lot of attention, good and bad, that comes with it.
Sure, we want the talent, and you can’t win without it. I think in a lot of ways, we have put ourselves in a win or failure mentality. Not just the fans either. Duke is the lead story when we lose, plus the target on our backs is even worse these last few seasons. All due to the attention our recruits get, and the fact that K is our coach. He’s looked at as a ‘God’ in terms of basketball, and anyone is fooling themselves to not think coaches want to beat him as well as the kids want to beat us.

Fresh start is exactly what is needed. I only hope Jon will be willing to do things his way. Cause it will be him under fire from here forward, not K.

Agree with Hart. To add my 2 cents, I think Duke basketball has become its own sideshow. Definitely this season, but I think it’s been like this for several seasons now. A lot of attention, good and bad, that comes with it.
Sure, we want the talent, and you can’t win without it. I think in a lot of ways, we have put ourselves in a win or failure mentality. Not just the fans either. Duke is the lead story when we lose, plus the target on our backs is even worse these last few seasons. All due to the attention our recruits get, and the fact that K is our coach. He’s looked at as a ‘God’ in terms of basketball, and anyone is fooling themselves to not think coaches want to beat him as well as the kids want to beat us.

Fresh start is exactly what is needed. I only hope Jon will be willing to do things his way. Cause it will be him under fire from here forward, not K.
We don't always agree, Mac. But this is a great take. This is Jon's now. Right now it hurts us all. K's career has come to an end. He's forever the GOAT. But that is done. Jon needs to run his own race. And he will.

Agree with Mac, and Jon needs to put his own footprint on this program. I think K has said he will not hover over him, and there are some things we can and should do differently.

OFC

Noooo! We would get killed in the media, after his farewell tour. Turn the page, and thank you for the 5 titles.

Reactions: pisgah101
Yeah we need a change of pace. I'm super excited about Jon Scheyer taking the helm. I think with the talent he has coming in and his basketball I.Q. that we are in great hands. I'm glad we didn't get Hurley or Amaker, frankly.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Yeah we need a change of pace. I'm super excited about Jon Scheyer taking the helm. I think with the talent he has coming in and his basketball I.Q. that we are in great hands. I'm glad we didn't get Hurley or Amaker, frankly.
I, too, am curious how the program looks with Jon taking over. I think he will really bond with the kids.

Also, I'm glad it wasn't anyone else taking over. Nothing against guys like Hurley, Amaker, etc., but those guys have been away from Duke for a very long time and I'm not sure if they can recruit like Jon.

The only way I’d be ok with it is if the ENTIRE team came back as well. They’d all have to sign a petition saying K 1 more year please lol

• Haha
Reactions: toophly1124
The only way I’d be ok with it is if the ENTIRE team came back as well. They’d all have to sign a petition saying K 1 more year please lol
Lol. The pressure next year wouldn't even be close to the pressure they just went through.

Agree Coach has given his life to Duke and no other Coach will ever come close to what he has done will never be challenged. He is by far the best coach in the history of the game and no Dean Smith or Roy Williams even comes close. But it is time for a new chapter in Duke memoirs. Hopefully Scheyer can make a path and we can name a building after him or something when he runs his race.

I remember every player from Duke in the league. However it’s time for a change . Need Scheyer to show some love to the bench until that changes getting bench players to come will be hard . You’ll get one or two per class but nothing saying they will stay after the first year

I remember every player from Duke in the league. However it’s time for a change . Need Scheyer to show some love to the bench until that changes getting bench players to come will be hard . You’ll get one or two per class but nothing saying they will stay after the first year
I agree Shey, and that would at the least give us a bit more STABILITY in the program.

OFC

It was good to get their perspective, but I'm not buying this. Nolan Smith was instrumental getting these newest recruits to sign, but there is no way Nolan was the only reason or even the main reason. Jon and Chris were there as well, building relationships along the way. I do not see any way that Duke's top 3 kids decommit and look at Louisville. Duke has the national stage, the NIL, is a much stronger contender, etc.

Plus, I will point out what happened when Duran and Bates went to Memphis looking to play and get up as many shots as possible. They stunk for a good chunk of the season. I'm not saying that Kenny Payne cannot coach, but he is also a first year head coach, the same unknowns can be said about him. Then with Nolan, as much as I love him, he was only an assistance coach for one season.

We need an assistant who has virtually no connection to Duke. I would reach out to Brad Stevens or a successful NBA assistant...

We need an assistant who has virtually no connection to Duke. I would reach out to Brad Stevens or a successful NBA assistant...
Brad Stephens isn’t leaving the Celtics that ship has been sailed .

That video was pure BS. Maybe short short term. Big maybe. But the bandaid needs to be ripped off sometime.

I think Jay will kinda shows he doesn’t know what he’s talking about when it comes to duke
I hate to agree because I like Jay Williams, but what he said was nonsense. He went on and on about Nolan being the key to signing this class. Not saying he didn't do a great job helping, but him leaving will not take these recruits.

I said Stevens as an example of a young coach. We need someone outside the "brotherhood" bottom line

I hate to agree because I like Jay Williams, but what he said was nonsense. He went on and on about Nolan being the key to signing this class. Not saying he didn't do a great job helping, but him leaving will not take these recruits.
I mean yeah he did a great job no denying that but so did Scheyer . Sometimes though JWill can be a little bit spot on with out getting directly to the point .

Reactions: hart2chesson
I said Stevens as an example of a young coach. We need someone outside the "brotherhood" bottom line
Like who? Everyone is saying this but who ? I see names thrown out that fans want but give me a legitimate candidate that you can think of that wouldn’t mind being on Scheyers staff ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT