ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn't the bench play?l

No, not one. Not one college athlete was ever physically tired from playing in a game. Not one. Ever.
Most hyperbolic statement ever.
If you cannot observe with your own eyes that basketball athletes "tire" late in games and produce less effective results, l don't know what to tell ya.

Awesome, since you don't know what to tell us, head on back to THR and quit posing like a ten year old.

Reactions: pisgah101
Did I direct anything at you? Is it your agenda to sort and pick through every ones post that you feel the necessity to make everyone bow to your view?
No Dat, I don’t see you responding to any other posters post in reference to the bench so sorry it ain’t working.
Which is it? Am I responding to EV'RAYWAAAAAAAAAHN's post, or am I just picking on youyouyouyouyou?

No, on second thought, I don't care. I don't want to talk about you or me. My response was entirely about basketball and you flipped out over it. Stick to basketball.

No reason not play Jack White for a short period giving Trent time to rest.
1. Trent tired is still considerably better than Jack fresh.

That's one reason. There's no need for a second reason.

Cite some, please.

I've been suspended for using the abbreviation for curse words before, so I don't even type that traditional cheer we direct at UNC anymore, let alone anything like the one you used at the end here. You call me out then lie about what I actually say? Aw, heck nah. That won't fly.

No, what I'd tell you is to say something new or get over it. Whining about why Marty Pocius or Michael Gbinije or Chase Jeter or Jack White doesn't play more is the same thing with new names, year after year after year. And the answer is the exact same thing every year, yet some of you keep asking the exact same question, then getting huffy when the same answer is repeated back at you more loudly and less patiently than the year before. Get that answer through your thick skull or change your approach.

Case in point: You say there are all these articles talking about cumulative exhaustion and injuries these kids have by the time they get to the NBA. That's news to me. Okay, I'm listening. Cite some, pretty, pretty please.

1. I will cite some by later this evening I promise.

2. Lying? Come on sir, relax. I did not mean to say or insinuate that you LITERALLY said stfu. And mods as per Datts informative post I apologize and that’s the last time I will use it. But yes DATT, that abbreviation and just stop whining, be quiet about it, stop beating a dead horse are all pretty much synonymous. But so what, it’s not a big deal to me, just having a little fun and I somewhat agree. It truly is beating a dead horse. Sir I apologize at any rate.

Reactions: Dattier
I don't accept the tired legs excuse either. They get a tv timeout about every 4 minutes and then consider that each coach can use 4 timeouts, they should be able to handle 37-40 minutes. They're not sprinting for 40 straight minutes. Good grief they're 18-21 years old. If they can't handle the minutes, then the strength and conditioning coach needs to be fired.

Answer from K:

"If we want to win something really big, your best players have to play a lot of minutes," coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "And I think that's what the regular season's about, is preparing for -- hopefully, we're in it in March. So I think we learned a lot."
This is an example of adjusting right here. Several years ago, K's response would have been that you play each game to win. It was always about that specific game. His answer here sounds more like he is saying a loss today was worth the preparation for down the road. It may look like the same result on the surface -- a short rotation -- but the explanation has changed.

One reason people always give for why he should play more guys is to save the best guys' legs for March, at which point those posters would theoretically be cool with a short rotation and heavy minutes. Okay. K is saying the way you do that is by getting them used to heavy minutes, rather than "saving" them. Both of those approaches have plenty of precedent throughout college basketball for working. I cite our rival down the road and their current coach as one who does it differently w/ plenty of success. K has one approach. Some of y'all prefer Roy's.

I'd certainly be a few baby steps back toward the middle from K's approach if it were me, but it ain't, and I've accepted that. Part of acceptance despite some disagreement depends on respect. When some of y'all can't discuss this w/o taking the most extreme stance against K, it shows you don't respect him. We have one-post wonders showing up to claim the game has passed K by, regular posters claiming they'd trade K for Brad Stevens today, and still more regulars tempering their own words but liking those posts. They're all disrespecting K b/c they lack the maturity, self-control, or intellect, or some combination of all three, to express disagreement w/o condemnation and contempt for the other side. Then they have the nerve to claim anyone else must think K is perfect and is kissing his rings.

Reactions: Duke Blu
How many of your 18,000+ posts are sarcastic insults directed at new posters whose opinions are different than yours?
You have a total of 22 posts here. I know you've been quietly lurking since Al Gore invented the Internet, but we mere mortals just see those 22 posts. It just so happens that our loss to UVa was our 21st game of the season. If we give you a mulligan of sorts for this here 22nd post I'm quoting, since we can see what it's about and all, that means exactly one post per each game we've played this year. Of those 21 other posts, how many of them have been made in connection to the 3 games we've lost and how many have been made in connection to our 18 wins (conveniently enough, an exact 6:1 ratio, wins to losses)?

Reactions: Showenuff
You have a total of 22 posts here. I know you've been quietly lurking since Al Gore invented the Internet, but we mere mortals just see those 22 posts. It just so happens that our loss to UVa was our 21st game of the season. If we give you a mulligan of sorts for this here 22nd post I'm quoting, since we can see what it's about and all, that means exactly one post per each game we've played this year. Of those 21 other posts, how many of them have been made in connection to the 3 games we've lost and how many have been made in connection to our 18 wins (conveniently enough, an exact 6:1 ratio, wins to losses)?
Boom

Which is it? Am I responding to EV'RAYWAAAAAAAAAHN's post, or am I just picking on youyouyouyouyou?

No, on second thought, I don't care. I don't want to talk about you or me. My response was entirely about basketball and you flipped out over it. Stick to basketball.
You do the same! Yes I made a reference to the bench being needed down the road. You came back with a sarcastic post about the final four.
It’s clear Grayson is mentally and physically letting this season get to him and Duval has hit a freshman wall or learning curve. Everything I have posted is about basketball. Until my last post

You do the same! Yes I made a reference to the bench being needed down the road. You came back with a sarcastic post about the final four.
It’s clear Grayson is mentally and physically letting this season get to him and Duval has hit a freshman wall or learning curve. Everything I have posted is about basketball. Until my last post
It wasn't sarcastic. It was a rhetorical question using an extreme in order to establish some common ground, or so I thought.
Your last two posts, you mean. I've responded to what you said each time.

I would think the bench should have and should play more. Just stealing a minute in a few spots before media timeouts etc. To me it’s a low risk/reward. For example in the first half we really couldn’t have played worse. Maybe Bolden dives on the floor and gives us a spark or Goldwire hits a corner three.

I saw yesterday our bench played 6 total mins. The lowest of any game played this entire year. I just can’t think this should be the case at Duke or its a the very best formula. I’m not going blame the loss on this by any means but it is a bit of a head scratcher

Reactions: hart2chesson
It wasn't sarcastic. It was a rhetorical question using an extreme in order to establish some common ground, or so I thought.
Your last two posts, you mean. I've responded to what you said each time.
Did you not quote my post? Ok then. I’m not the other posters you attack with their limited posting. I’ve never disrespected K or questioned anything he does outside of him at times not using his bench. Yesterday I agree and new the starters would see the floor mainly however against lesser opponents I think a lot would rather see some bench contributions. How many minutes has Bagley logged since his shoulder injury? Do we not think even though he has still averaged a double double it’s not in his mind about reinjurying it.
K is K I get it. This is a message board so yes people will question K.no different then annylist do. I would go on to say your right the starters will always log the majority of minutes and then next season we meaning fans hope that the players that remain after this season will help the next core of OAD. It’s the same thing every year.

We have four to five first round draft picks starting for us.

Bolden has been consistently injured and produced to his talent level yet.

Javin hasn’t given much of a spark offensively or defensively. He fouls too much and hasn’t played well in big games.

AOC is a year away of being able to compete at high level due to his size.

Goldwire, Vrank, Robinson and White are not high level D1 talent that is why they were not recruited by any other power five schools.

K this year more than any other year has to ride his starters.

There is a huge talent gap between his starters and his bench. K knows it. I wouldn’t want to take Bagley or Carter Jr out of a tight game when they are not in foul trouble and sub in Javin.

K has been playing his bench more against lesser ACC completion not elite competition which makes sense.

Reactions: Dukeman and Dattier
Did you not quote my post? Ok then. I’m not the other posters you attack with their limited posting. I’ve never disrespected K or questioned anything he does outside of him at times not using his bench. Yesterday I agree and new the starters would see the floor mainly however against lesser opponents I think a lot would rather see some bench contributions. How many minutes has Bagley logged since his shoulder injury? Do we not think even though he has still averaged a double double it’s not in his mind about reinjurying it.
K is K I get it. This is a message board so yes people will question K.no different then annylist do. I would go on to say your right the starters will always log the majority of minutes and then next season we meaning fans hope that the players that remain after this season will help the next core of OAD. It’s the same thing every year.
That's 4.

Well, if kids don't get fatigued I am not sure why anyone would sub at any point. Why would you not keep the best 5 players on the court at all times?

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I feel when Bolden gets healthy and AOC is healthier they will log minutes down the stretch. Either way the experience that was gained in that loss yesterday will pay big dividends come March. Those are the kind of games that you will be in come March. Slow paced and every possession critical, they will grow from this.

Okay, good to know. So it wasn't really by choice, so much. Thank god.

Btw, what is the whole "tight hamstring" about? Is it an actual injury?

Javin did miss a couple weeks with the hamstring injury, I think this was his 3rd game back from the injury.. Hamstring injuries are so tricky to deal with!

Here are some answers
I doubt it does much good. Previous answers never have. What about Jack? What about Vrank? What about Goldwire? What about JRob? Why didn't they play 10 minutes each against the #2 team in the country? Maybe they'd have gone off for 37 points, 22 rebounds, 13 assists, 7 steals, and 4 blocks between them. We'll never know b/c they never got the chance so let's proceed on the assumption that absolutely would have happened.

I've seen your posts at thr, you're no new poster, your old news just like your lame ass posts. You're on your way out, mark it down.

They just keep coming over here don't they Show. Different names but non stop. They just can't help it . They are tar heel fans. It's their nature. Bless their hearts. OFC

If you believe a superior athlete that has been through the system since at least August, and played basketball since they were 4 is tired you are delusional
If you believe an athlete doesn’t get tired ur delusional

I doubt it does much good. Previous answers never have. What about Jack? What about Vrank? What about Goldwire? What about JRob? Why didn't they play 10 minutes each against the #2 team in the country? Maybe they'd have gone off for 37 points, 22 rebounds, 13 assists, 7 steals, and 4 blocks between them. We'll never know b/c they never got the chance so let's proceed on the assumption that absolutely would have happened.

I think you are exaggerating a bit;). First sure, it does good to hear that it was largely for a reason of health. Second, I don't think anyone would argue that anyone was going to score a bajillion points, but on most teams in most sports, reserves play a bit. It gives starters a break, both physically and emotionally, gives the opponents a different player with different strengths and tendencies to think about, and lets guys get into the game who might be riding a bit of a different sort of emotion. Sometimes a reserves can help at a critical time when the starters are struggling. Hell, just look at Grayson in the title game. Well, AOC has had a similar big outburst and then a ton of bench time... maybe he COULD give us a lift that we would need.

I get your irritation. But I think it is natural for people to question the coaching staff sometimes, when the coaching staff does something that the majority of coaches in the world in all sports do not.

It doesn't, but you do you.
I’m glad as always

Back on subject. I did think we’d see a little down time for Bagley given the shoulder injury. The starters needed that second half to see how they should play, hope Alex, Bolden and Javin all get healthy on to ND.

But I think it is natural for people to question the coaching staff sometimes, when the coaching staff does something that the majority of coaches in the world in all sports do not.

Dude I would agree with you. Except for the trolls who lurk we're all passionate Duke fans and I would venture most message boards of teams are full of us armchair qbs who 2nd guess after a loss.

I will always be among those who would like to see K play a deeper bench for really the same reasons you mentioned. However I know hes not going to change, and I accept it because hes the best. This team can still challenge for the gold, and I have high hopes. We were only a few fts away yesterday....OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
I hate to go back to the purpose of this thread, but I did note that AOC was well enough to play until he let a UVA guy go back door on him, at which time he was immediately taken out. He was well enough to come back in until he threw away a pass, at which time he was immediately taken out again and "rested" for the rest of the game. So I think the flu excuse is only partially true. More likely that Coach K felt he was overmatched, similar to what Grayson was at times early in his freshman season.

I hate to go back to the purpose of this thread, but I did note that AOC was well enough to play until he let a UVA guy go back door on him, at which time he was immediately taken out. He was well enough to come back in until he threw away a pass, at which time he was immediately taken out again and "rested" for the rest of the game. So I think the flu excuse is only partially true. More likely that Coach K felt he was overmatched, similar to what Grayson was at times early in his freshman season.

I think this is a really plausible explanation. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT