ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you start vs FSU?

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
Let's assume Jeremy's toe is much better by the FSU game at home 12/31. Let's also assume Lively and Whitehead are sufficiently recovered from their "non- covid illnesses."

I recall in the past announcers saying "this is the 8th different starting lineup" ( or some high number) Coach K has employed this year. Seeing how we are coming off our worse loss, (lack of effort, hunger and domination by a weaker team), do you make any changes in starting line- up for Leonard Hamilton's team?

Here's mine, not so much based on a 1-5 positioning, but hunger and effort + strategy: As I said, Jeremy with improved physical status at the point. I would pair him with Blakes, because I think Jaylen's play vs Wake earned him a start. Let Tyrese watch a little action and see what he might pick up from FSU personnel. He's a smart kid.

Along the front line I would start Lively (we need the rim protector badly). Also I would go with Mitchell and Young. Those two have fairly consistently played hard. Flip needs to sit at outset. He needs some discipline to play a little harder than vs Wake, and use better shot selection. Don't get me wrong: Proctor, Flip, Whitehead,Grandison would see the floor plenty, and I would make a point of getting Jaden Schutt some 1st and 2nd minutes.

OFC

Last edited:
Roach, Blakes, Mitchell, Flip, Lively. Proctor, Whitehead, Grandison, Schutt and Young off the bench. Blakes earned a start against Wake. That kind of toughness and effort should be rewarded. I wouldn't not start Flip he's been too good, but the coaches should be telling him not to settle for 3. I would sub anyone who takes a 3 without looking for a better shot first.

Last edited:
Roach , Blakes, Whitehead, Mitchell and Lively .
Proctor, Flip, Young , Grandison off the bench .
Flip needs to stay hungry and Proctor needs to realize he’s got the skill but how to use it at this level. Plus Flip coming off the bench with Young allows to switch to a different offense from Lively and Mitchell .

We might as well go with our best guys. We can't shoot the 3 that well, so we don't really have any floor spacers. I think Mitchell is our best 3 point shooter.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I’m in agreement about Blakes over Proctor. Blakes is kicking his ass in terms of production, and fire. I’m also going to sit Flip. He’s been on a downward spiral. Maybe he needs some motivation, and picking splinters at the beginning might do it.
Young, Lively, Mitchell, Blakes and Roach.

Interesting Mac. Flip seems to have cooled off after a hot start. Maybe start Young and Blakes, just to show these guys they don't have a guaranteed spot. I like it.

I’m in agreement about Blakes over Proctor. Blakes is kicking his ass in terms of production, and fire. I’m also going to sit Flip. He’s been on a downward spiral. Maybe he needs some motivation, and picking splinters at the beginning might do it.
Young, Lively, Mitchell, Blakes and Roach.
100% agreement Mac!! I like your "tell it like it us approach" about the reasoning to sit Proctor and Flip. Maybe a little taste of pine will shape those guys up.

OFC

Reactions: KDSTONE and Mac9192
Sky loves to talk about John Reik!!!hahahaha!!!! OFC
A legend. John Reik holds every record at Duke without striding out onto the floor. Reik is inevitable. LeBron? Jordan? Bird? Kobe? Please. Let me have Reik, Levar Ball, Kwame Brown, PJ Hairston, and one of Roy's 70s-style couch jackets as my starting five. We can get K-oach Q to take the lead with the team; he pontificates about his proficiencies in all the losing game threads year after year. So, I believe it is time he puts his money where his mouth is and take the team to the heights we all know he's capable of achieving. Jon only fantasies of such grandeur. Gatorade won't lower itself to support the team, nor will Nike or Adidas. So, Roy's got a brand-new innovation to test out the market with, Wanda's Sports Nectar, made from Wanda's premium nanner puddin' and a little something extra special thrown in for good measure, oh and the best nanner puddin' this side of the Mississippi. No one needs to be concerned about the shoes; Roy found some Minnetonka Moccasins at his local Goodwill so that he can contribute the footwear to the team. He plans on attending every game, not as a reason for the camera to cut to him every chance they get, but because he loves the gosh darn game so much, and he could give a shit about Carolina now. I, for one, think we've all found a new team to get behind.

A legend. John Reik holds every record at Duke without striding out onto the floor. Reik is inevitable. LeBron? Jordan? Bird? Kobe? Please. Let me have Reik, Levar Ball, Kwame Brown, PJ Hairston, and one of Roy's 70s-style couch jackets as my starting five. We can get K-oach Q to take the lead with the team; he pontificates about his proficiencies in all the losing game threads year after year. So, I believe it is time he puts his money where his mouth is and take the team to the heights we all know he's capable of achieving. Jon only fantasies of such grandeur. Gatorade won't lower itself to support the team, nor will Nike or Adidas. So, Roy's got a brand-new innovation to test out the market with, Wanda's Sports Nectar, made from Wanda's premium nanner puddin' and a little something extra special thrown in for good measure, oh and the best nanner puddin' this side of the Mississippi. No one needs to be concerned about the shoes; Roy found some Minnetonka Moccasins at his local Goodwill so that he can contribute the footwear to the team. He plans on attending every game, not as a reason for the camera to cut to him every chance they get, but because he loves the gosh darn game so much, and he could give a shit about Carolina now. I, for one, think we've all found a new team to get behind.
Bleed, Reik on!!! OFC

I am really excited about this new team!!! Plus bleed, imagine the NIL opportunities with Roy's shoes, and "Wanda's Sports Nectar!" OFC

Me too. I'll get my shots. Not afraid to shoot anywhere on the court and if Coach pulls I will body language transfer coming off the court. You see me play for Duke and you will never bash a Duke player again. 😊OFC
I plan to let the air out of Roger Ayres tires prior to a Duke/UNC game. I will show up JUST BEFORE TIPOFF and say Roger got very ill, is a dear friend, and called me to fill in. I am retired from the European league.

Bacot and Love each are whistled for two fouls in the first five minutes. Hubert gets T'd up. I only make it worse on 'em ALL GAME LONG. Duke dumps The Cheats, 81-50.

Bottom Line: this is one game it doesn't matter who Duke starts.

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
After reading Chris's message reference Roach's toe being "swollen" after the Wake game I must alter my OP. l said "let's assume Jeremy's toe is much better." Now I must admit to being concerned it could be chronic rest of year, and possibly even a Kyrie situation.

If that's the case, it's truly worrisome but I am not counting this group out just yet. I would start Jaylen at the point for the FSU game, Grandison at the 2, Mitch,Young and Lively across the front. Young still needs a jolt like Proctor after the Wake game.

A bench of Flip, Proctor, Whitehead and Schutt is pretty solid. If the students are back and Cameron's rockin,' that should pull us thru Saturday. If the students aren't back, hopefully the crowd will be enough vocal Duke fans to help us. Saturday is the most critical game of the young season, and a MUST WIN. #OurHouse OFC

Reactions: christophero
Someone mentioned it on DBR; so it's a bit hearsay. I hope Roach is okay, because we are about to get into the teeth of the ACC schedule. I haven't heard that he won't play, but he did not look near 100 percent the other day. My guess is he plays but he is still not over it. Could we beat FSU without Roach? Probably, but it is a game we cannot afford to lose so he will probably play.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned it on DBR; so it's a bit hearsay. I hope Roach is okay, because we are about to get into the teeth of the ACC schedule. I haven't heard that he won't play, but he did not look near 100 percent the other day. My guess is he plays but he is still not over it. Could we beat FSU without Roach? Probably, but it is a game we cannot afford to lose so he will probably play.
I don’t think Duke beats FSU wo Roach or a 70% Roach No way How? Some of y’all been watching different games than I have. Even when healthy this is a slightly above average team They’ve lost three games so far. They’ll end up with 9 to 12 losses and st best be like a 7 seed and at worst Nit

We are going to have to do better than .500 in the ACC. 8 and 8 over the next 16 games puts us at 18 and 11. That's the bubble as the ACC is down. 10 and 6 would put us at 20-9. That would definitely get us in. We simply have to beat the BCs, GT, Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame type teams. Louisville is the only gimme on the schedule. We have tough road games at Clemson, NC State, UNC, Miami, VT, and Virginia.

Last edited:
We are going to have to do better than .500 in the ACC. 8 and 8 over the next 16 games puts us at 18 and 11. That's the bubble as the ACC is down. 10 and 6 would put us at 20-9. That would definitely get us in. We simply have to beat the BCs, GT, Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame type teams. Louisville is the only gimme on the schedule. We have tough road games at Clemson, NC State, UNC, Miami, VT, and Virginia.
Need to win at Clem. Tough sledding those other five games. Gotta beat Carolina at home. Need to keep it it to 8 or 9 losses to get it to a decent seed. Ohio St the only good win so far unless I’m forgetting one. If they end up having a bad year that will sting

Duke will make the tourney . Roach’s toe was still swollen prior to the start of the wake game . The commentators say d that much that Jon said it’s still a little swollen in pre game .
No one can say what this team is yet . Two main players have yet to remain healthy enough to get any momentum on the court.
Roach has always struggled with quicker guards. Look no further then his games against Love . At this moment teams know to stop both Roach and Flip and make the rest of the team score which hasn’t been the case . Proctor, Mitchell, Grandison and Blakes haven’t been exactly nonstop scorers . Whitehead and Lively are mysterious to say the least. Schutt and Reeves don’t play and Young is good but he’s not giving you double doubles every game .
This team isn’t going to the NIT. They will make the tourney. It’s about getting healthy and becoming a unit or team .
Young’s words after the game said it all! This performance was not acceptable by any means .

Scheyer needs to let these guys know he isn't happy. Even if he has to act. Other than Roach these guys have not done anything. No one is going to play possum because of the Duke jersey. If anything they probably smell blood in the water and we need to fight back.

Last edited:
Roach has always struggled with quicker guards. Look no further then his games against Love .
Jeremy seems to have seldom been himself against Love. Wondered if it was the footspeed differential(sound point), or if intimidation at work. Love really likes to talk trash, and show his despicablely arrogant side on the court. I have really noticed this last couple years.

OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT