ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is Staying ... Going? Thoughts?

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Looking at the various two round mock drafts only Jalen Johnson is going in round 1. Last I saw, Hurt was 42 on ESPNs mock. No one else was in the top 54.

In USA Today's rankings, Steward was 42 and Hurt was 52.

NBA draft net and NBA draft room have only Johnson in the first and no other Duke player in the 2nd. Hurt is 78th in the draft room (among those on the bubble).

Personally, I think it would be best for all to return given their play this year. There has been some really good flashes from Hurt, Steward, and Williams in particular. What a player "should" do doesn't mean much, of course.

I know the G-league is an option but the pay there is $35K for 5 months. Nice, but nothing exceptional.

What is everyone's thoughts or predictions about who will actually leave?

I could see Hurt or Steward going but really I think they'd be eaten alive and have trouble making a roster next year - though they both have talent to play in the league down the road. Mark Williams play of late probably has the attention of some NBA scouts but he too is so thin he could use another year or two.

The one thing that often makes me wonder about Duke's training is that players often don't add a lot of needed muscle and strength. There are exceptions, of course. Williams could use a diet/weightlifting regimen that adds 15 lbs of good weight to his frame.

If we just add the two big recruits K could have a good rotation going of 8-9, which would be ideal.

Hurt-Steward-Williams-Brakefield-Coleman-Roach-Baker, plus the two freshman could really be a quality team and help all the players' games and NBA opportunities. If that team were to get to the Final Four playing good as a team and contributing, all those guys have enhanced chances. I'd think Baker should be the last off the bench. He's just far too inconsistent.

(honestly, I just think that the NBA dream, the failure of the NCAA to change with the cultural trends, and for Duke, their flawed one and done emphasis, is eroding the interest, excitement, and quality of play at the college level and at Duke. It just does not carry the level of amazement and greatness that the 90's and 2000s carried. Everything is so focused on professional basketball. Unless the NCAA makes radical changes, it's going to be too late.)

Hurt goes. Goldwire moves on. I think the rest come back, although Williams may get some feedback but I'd say he's back. Williams leaving is not probable but is certainly possible.

Reactions: youngman42
I wouldn’t be surprised if Steward tested the draft.
If he goes, i will be so upset....not that that matters to anyone. But while i do think he is a dangerous scorer, he is gonna get dominated on defense in the nba until he gets stronger. On top of that he is kinda streaky. He is not the athlete Cassius, Frank, and not as good a defender or shooter as Trent. He def needs one nore year and then he should be ready. I thi k he is gonna be a hell of a player

Williams is the one I worry about leaving. He has shown things this year. he is raw but not that raw.

Nobody should go, but 2-3 may explicably do it. And if it doesn’t pan out, I won’t feel bad for them.

We have to stop enabling the flawed system that is ruining college basketball.

If we don’t have our annual 3 departures, the haters will accuse Duke of paying players

Nobody should go, but 2-3 may explicably do it. And if it doesn’t pan out, I won’t feel bad for them.

We have to stop enabling the flawed system that is ruining college basketball.
Hurt will go. He’s going to be 22 i believe? Makes sense for him, but would love to be wrong, which i will not be.

Excluding Jalen Johnson because he’s obviously not a part of the team anymore. The only player that I can see possibly leaving is Matthew Hurt and that’s only because he’s going to be a Junior next season. Roach might think about it but for some reason, he strikes me as 1 of those players that might want a championship before he leaves college but that’s just me and I could possibly see Steward ax the same type of player.

Hurt will be the only one to leave. Hurt SHOULD BE the only one to even consider leaving. Also depending on the recruitment of Keels, if Steward and Roach both return, and Keels commits I could see Baker exploring options on transferring. Just my personal opinion... if Hurt is the only to leave, next years team will be more "playing time experienced" than these previous years.

I don’t think Steward or Roach have done anything to suggest they’ll be NBA players any time soon, if ever. Both are undersized, haven’t been dead-eye shooters and aren’t lockdown defenders. There are dozens of players in college and overseas more attractive to the NBA. They simply won’t get drafted. As a result, I’m not sure the G League is a great option either. They could just as easily wither there, as no NBA team will have invested much in them. I think their best path to the NBA is to stay, gets lots of PT and airtime and work on their skills. Tre followed that approach and raised his game enough to get drafted.

I'd be pretty excited about next year if just Hurt and Goldwire moved on. Moore is going to be a handful. We could always start Steward at the point if Roach struggles. Williams and Banchero will be tough down low. Brakefield and Coleman should be ready for more minutes. And the other freshman wing. That's a solid sweet 16 team that could be more if guys improve a lot.

If Hurt comes back, and I doubt he will, our 3 possible best players will be in the frontcourt. Williams at the 5. Banchero looks like he could play the 3, although he's probably a natural 4. It would be hard not to start all 3.

If Hurt comes back, and I doubt he will, our 3 possible best players will be in the frontcourt. Williams at the 5. Banchero looks like he could play the 3, although he's probably a natural 4. It would be hard not to start all 3.
Hurt will go and I don’t see anyone putting Griffin or Pablo out of the starting lineup. If Duke doesn’t land anyone else I look for Williams, Pablo, Griffin, Moore and Roach to be the starting lineup. That’s one tall, physical and talented starting five. I could even see Moore move to the pg and let Steward play off ball.
I also don’t see Baker going anywhere if he hasn’t already left . He’s a senior next year and will stay in his same role coming off the bench.

I can't see Steward not starting. If Hurt goes he'd be our leading returning scorer.

If Duke lands Keels, Duke will be pretty deep in the back court. The best Duke teams had a very good 6th man.

If the roster plays out and all come back expect for Hurt and the Srs then I’d like to see Duke get another guy that can play as a 5. Williams and Banchero can but haven’t one extra guy there would be ideal. That way Brakefield can play the 4. I would anticipate all the returning Sophs to take a big jump from their Fr years.

Banchero and Griffin will be impacts right away.

Ideal would be a grad transfer big man with 2 years left. Then if/when Williams goes we could plug him in at the 5.

How good is Keels? Would he be an upgrade over a 5th year Goldwire? He sounds like a multiyear guy, which is good. We could also use another shooter. My first thought when i heard Goldwire was likely leaving was perhaps he knew Keels was coming. Because without Keels he'd get minutes next year. He'd still get minutes with Keels, but less.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Keels has really shown this year to be much more than just a shooter. He has several triple doubles. His HS coach has given him the green light to have the ball in his hands and he is developing as a playmaker, facilitator and assist guy.
He has the tools to be a good defender and rebounder

I can't see Steward not starting. If Hurt goes he'd be our leading returning scorer.
Then would you put Moore on the bench? Roach will be the only pg on the roster with Steward and Keels more combo guards .
I have not seen Keels to say he can run the point .

I’d actually say,

Hurt-gone
Steward - possibly
Williams - 50/50 but could see him declare and come back.

Reactions: Fourteen44
I don't think Williams will leave but I wouldn't say it's laughable either. He's averaged double figures since Johnson left. (right around 10ppg). And he clearly has huge upside. And if he's a sure thing to go pro after next year like most think, why is it so far fetched to think he'd try a year early? I'd say it's one in four that he goes, but there is still a chance. I don't personally think he should go; he'd probably be a late second round pick right now. Steward I was wondering about but he's shown he's not ready.
On another note, our lack of upperclassman who contribute is an issue. Juniors and seniors. This year we had two, not counting Tape. Goldwire, a nice team guy and Baker, who struggled all season. Next year if Goldwire leaves we will have Baker and Moore. One senior and one junior. That's not good. Maybe a grad transfer or two is the answer. I like that we got Tape but he gave us very little. The year after we could have a few juniors, and possibly a senior Moore, which would be nice. If guys stay.

Last edited:
Hurt is a year and a half older than Wendell Moore. Hurt will be 21 soon. He's going.

We forget that these days, with kids staying back probably for athletic development, you can't go by their class year. I expect like with Cassius Stanley the chronological year has as much to do with leaving as the class year.

Hurt is gone
I don’t think Goldwire or Tape’ returning
Steward & Williams may test the waters
But if Banchero or Griffin went to G League would have a huge negative impact on next year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT