ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is Staying ... Going? Thoughts?

Didn’t Pablo do the same thing Tyus did and text K saying,” this won’t happen next year!” And he tweeted something on the lines of ,” loosing won’t be happening at Duke next year.

If he did that I would call that Laettner like. It would be nice to have a player who hates to lose as much as Laettner did. You know we keep talking about guys like Dawkins, Ferry, Laettner, Hurley, the Hills, Jay Wiliams, JJ, Singler, Allen and others who just couldn't stand the thought of losing like we are loving in the past but that's not true. We talk about them because they set the standard of Duke Coach K's concept of basketball. They played the game with passion and it showed in the "body language" and their intensity. I just didn't see it this year. Maybe they show it in a different way. I don't know. The generation gap between myself and the generations seemed to be widening at a fast pace. Aleady looking foward to seeing what Bancharo and Griffin bring and how they bring it. OFC

If he did that I would call that Laettner like. It would be nice to have a player who hates to lose as much as Laettner did. You know we keep talking about guys like Dawkins, Ferry, Laettner, Hurley, the Hills, Jay Wiliams, JJ, Singler, Allen and others who just couldn't stand the thought of losing like we are loving in the past but that's not true. We talk about them because they set the standard of Duke Coach K's concept of basketball. They played the game with passion and it showed in the "body language" and their intensity. I just didn't see it this year. Maybe they show it in a different way. I don't know. The generation gap between myself and the generations seemed to be widening at a fast pace. Aleady looking foward to seeing what Bancharo and Griffin bring and how they bring it. OFC
Post of the month right here. Well said Sky.

Battier hated losing too. That’s why he didn’t do it much

Steward nba please stop people, even Williams would be laughable.
A 7 footer who defends the rim and runs the court well, all while coming on strong late in the season? Yea, that would be ludicrous that a league that drafts primarily on potential would pass him up. 🤦‍♂️🤣

A 7 footer who defends the rim and runs the court well, all while coming on strong late in the season? Yea, that would be ludicrous that a league that drafts primarily on potential would pass him up. 🤦‍♂️🤣
There are nearly 40 7 footers in the NBA. Besides being that tall is irrelevant when players shoot 40 foot 3s all game

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44 and GAAP
Heck Luke Garza is not even on every mock draft and he’ll likely be in running for POY. No chance Williams gets drafted. TONS of potential for sure but need another year or two IMO.

Heck Luke Garza is not even on every mock draft and he’ll likely be in running for POY. No chance Williams gets drafted. TONS of potential for sure but need another year or two IMO.
Difference between Garza and Williams. Williams is showing potential as a freshman Garza I think to most scouts is at his peak talent wise as a senior .

Can Mark Williams make NBA range 3 pointers at a 35% clip? Wait, no he can't? Yeah he will be back. You got guys bigger than Mark in the NBA who are almost automatic from 3, the game has changed so much. Mark will carve out a role in the NBA as a screen/dive guy who anchors a defense, but he is nowhere near that guy yet. His FT's don't go in, but I do like his stroke, he could "someday" actually be an NBA 3 point shooter, has a ways to go though.

Steward will be back because he's too small to defend NBA guards, and that's even if Steward understood basic defensive principles, which he doesn't right now.

Wendell Moore I think could go either way. Yeah...he was horrendous to start the year, but he did have a couple week stretch in early Feb when he was Duke's best player. His game fits the NBA, mainly due to his versatility and being able to guard multiple positions, obviously he can't be a walking turnover and expect to play, but yeah. I think he's back, but also think he could get taken in the 2nd round. If we land Baldwin (probably less than a 50% chance currently) than does Wendell even start?? Maybe he leaves.

I think Hurt leaves. Next year Williams, Steward, and possibly Brakefield and Moore, and for sure the 2 freshman.

Last edited:
I'm laughing at the fact any of these guys think they're ready to play professionally, either here or europe, including Matt Hurt. I really hope they all come back and continue to develop.

Hurt is gone
I don’t think Goldwire or Tape’ returning
Steward & Williams may test the waters
But if Banchero or Griffin went to G League would have a huge negative impact on next year
Does not matter who stays or who goes. Without a quality PG coming in, we are in deep sh%7.

OFC

Steward could run the point next year if needed. Keels or a transfer is probably a must for depth at this point. Roach could need 2-3 years like Cook did.

Reactions: youngman42
The problem is transfers/recruits are going to see a 5 star sometime starter PG who is returning. People may not want to compete. I think Roach will be good in a few years, but we probably expected too much of someone coming off a knee injury. Still there is playing time to be had. If we get Keels we should be okay. I suppose Keels and a transfer PG is ideal, although we probably just get one.

Last edited:
Roach needs to make the leap to one of the top PG's in the ACC next year for Duke to be one of the favorites to win the National Title. I believe he can, he's a 5 star after all, and was just coming off a bad knee injury. He showed flashes, just wasn't nearly consistent enough.

It appears for next year Roach making big improvements is the most important thing for this team to be great, more than landing Baldwin. Keels is a combo guard, Steward is a shooting guard. We have seen this movie before with ultra-talented Duke teams with no great PG (most recently the Kennard Tatum team that had Grayson/Matt Jones run point) it doesn't work.

We aren't gonna land a veteran PG who could be one of the best PG's in the ACC, we just aren't because Roach is already here. However, a veteran PG who could give us 10-15 good minutes, a la Goldwire would be very nice.

I think a soph Roach can make a big jump and will be fine. Nolan Smith, Quinn Cook and others had trouble playing PG as a freshman. I'm sure the pressure, knowing that you are the latest in an illustrious line of PG's, is a daunting task. And didn't Roach miss a lot of time in HS due to his knee injury?

Add in a shortened preseason training program and an abbreviated season this year, and it's not hard to understand why some freshman (not just at Duke) just didn't develop as much as expected this year. I'm betting that Steward and Roach are going to surprise a lot of us next year. Still, another ball handler/PG would be ideal. I would love to have a solid PG for next year. As mentioned, the years we tried to shoehorn in a PG didn't work so well.

There are nearly 40 7 footers in the NBA. Besides being that tall is irrelevant when players shoot 40 foot 3s all game
Who are the 40 seven footers in the league? I’m lost now .

Roach needs to make the leap to one of the top PG's in the ACC next year for Duke to be one of the favorites to win the National Title. I believe he can, he's a 5 star after all, and was just coming off a bad knee injury. He showed flashes, just wasn't nearly consistent enough.

It appears for next year Roach making big improvements is the most important thing for this team to be great, more than landing Baldwin. Keels is a combo guard, Steward is a shooting guard. We have seen this movie before with ultra-talented Duke teams with no great PG (most recently the Kennard Tatum team that had Grayson/Matt Jones run point) it doesn't work.

We aren't gonna land a veteran PG who could be one of the best PG's in the ACC, we just aren't because Roach is already here. However, a veteran PG who could give us 10-15 good minutes, a la Goldwire would be very nice.
You mean a Goldwire who could shoot.

While I would love to have Hurt back next season, it's not happening. Plus, how would that work? Roach, Steward, Griffin, Hurt, and Paolo? I think that would hurt Mark's development. I see no reason for Matt not to go get his money. Do I think he is ready for the NBA? Hell no. But, it is what it is. I think next season we have: Roach, Steward, Griffin, Paolo, and Williams as the starting five with Moore, Baker, Brakefield, and Coleman coming off the bench. We may possibly land Keels. PB III is not coming to Duke next season. My optimism is lacking at the moment for anything related to college basketball though.

Last edited:
I think Banchero could play the 3; like a big small forward.I wouldn't turn down Hurt; he's a first team all ACC 20ppg guy. But I doubt he's back. Hurt as a junior is probably Baldwin's ceiling as a freshman. Baldwin does not strike me as a defensive dynamo. But I too think the Baldwin ship has sailed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I think Banchero could play the 3; like a big small forward.I wouldn't turn down Hurt; he's a first team all ACC 20ppg guy. But I doubt he's back. Hurt as a junior is probably Baldwin's ceiling. Baldwin does not strike me as a defensive dynamo. But I too think the Baldwin ship has sailed.

Oh of course, you don't turn down Hurt. I just wonder how that team would work. Yeah, Baldwin is not coming to Duke. I'm not sure if Keels is either.

Reactions: christophero
I think Banchero could play the 3; like a big small forward.I wouldn't turn down Hurt; he's a first team all ACC 20ppg guy. But I doubt he's back. Hurt as a junior is probably Baldwin's ceiling as a freshman. Baldwin does not strike me as a defensive dynamo. But I too think the Baldwin ship has sailed.
Hurt carried us offensively this year, I just wish the pieces around him were more consistent and we could have been a top 25 team. I'm not saying I would turn down Hurt next season, but I think the lineup makes more sense and has a better fit without him. Obviously there would be the logjam at the 4 and 5, but more importantly: I'm not sure it's physically possible to construct a top 20 defense with Hurt on the floor.

The offense next year will be one of (if not the best) in the country next year without Hurt. Obviously Hurt would make it better, but not worth it IMO at the expense of the defense. Griffin and Banchero are grown men, sure we will be fairly young and make some mistakes, but the potential is there for a top 15 national defense IMO. Griffin could be Winslow but more polished. The top offense with a top 15 defense = #6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT