ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is Staying ... Going? Thoughts?

Williams is not what the NBA is remotely interested in. He would be making a huge mistake to leave

The NBA went away from putting a premium on 7’ Centers who mostly played with their back to the basket and majority of shots came from within the paint. Outside of AD, there weren’t many successful players like Williams. However this year, guys like Embiid, Gobert, Towns, Drummond, Jokic, and Adebayo have all put up big numbers.

The NBA went away from putting a premium on 7’ Centers who mostly played with their back to the basket and majority of shots came from within the paint. Outside of AD, there weren’t many successful players like Williams. However this year, guys like Embiid, Gobert, Towns, Drummond, Jokic, and Adebayo have all put up big numbers.
Makes no sense. AD doesn’t just play with his back to the basket, The Joker and Towns both can shoot the three. If anything Gobert, Drummond and Adebayo make a strong case for a seven footer of Williams potential. As in all three play in the low post , rebound, block shots and make a good living in the league.

Makes no sense. AD doesn’t just play with his back to the basket, The Joker and Towns both can shoot the three. If anything Gobert, Drummond and Adebayo make a strong case for a seven footer of Williams potential. As in all three play in the low post , rebound, block shots and make a good living in the league.

Put it this way. 95% of their points come from shots within 10 feet of the basket. Can AD, The Joker and Towns occasionally make a 3 pointer? Yes, but outside of Towns, they average making less than one 3 pointer per game.

AD plays primarily as a PF. And all three of those guys are known for their ability to play face up instead of just back to the basket. Williams is probably more in the vein of Gobert and Drummond. His ability to knock down that wide open jump shot around the free throw line was big for him. The determining factor in whether he can be a legit player at the next level will be whether other teams can force him off the floor going small. If he can’t stay on the floor against a small ball lineup, he’ll be a situational player.

Mark looked great at the end of the year. Really excited about him going forward.

But, let's not forget that he thrived against relatively weak overall ACC teams (historically) and mostly against teams that had very weak and young front courts.

I've been saying all year I didn't think Johnson was a lottery pick. He's a good player, don't get me wrong. But 20 sounds more like it.

Reactions: hart2chesson
What is Hurt returned, had more growth in an impressive normal Junior year, and the team did better for more exposure? A jump of 5-10 draft places could mean a lot of difference in money and in NBA readiness....i doubt that he is receiving any input on that scenario sadly

Its improbable for sure...just a what-if scenario. Dont have time to do the research but wondering if there has been recent cases of returning players who have then been rewarded with higher draft selections or being drafted at all....wishful thinking I know

Williams and Steward we need back. Hurt, while it would be great, is a luxury. I'd be over the moon if all 3 came back.

What is Hurt returned, had more growth in an impressive normal Junior year, and the team did better for more exposure? A jump of 5-10 draft places could mean a lot of difference in money and in NBA readiness....i doubt that he is receiving any input on that scenario sadly
I hear you, but what if he came back and got injured? The dude can shoot lights out. Time to monetize his skill.

I hear you, but what if he came back and got injured? The dude can shoot lights out. Time to monetize his skill.
Or what if he came back and was overshadowed by Banchero? Hurt’s biggest weaknesses at the next level are going to be defense and positional versatility (or lack thereof). At this point, I think those are kinda baked in so late 1st early 2nd is probably about the best he can do.

Put it this way. 95% of their points come from shots within 10 feet of the basket. Can AD, The Joker and Towns occasionally make a 3 pointer? Yes, but outside of Towns, they average making less than one 3 pointer per game.
Still not helping the case for him staying. His potential alone this year has shown his ability to hit a jumper. And as he progressed this season his potential of playing face up progressed as well.

AD plays primarily as a PF. And all three of those guys are known for their ability to play face up instead of just back to the basket. Williams is probably more in the vein of Gobert and Drummond. His ability to knock down that wide open jump shot around the free throw line was big for him. The determining factor in whether he can be a legit player at the next level will be whether other teams can force him off the floor going small. If he can’t stay on the floor against a small ball lineup, he’ll be a situational player.
Which means he can still make a living in the league .

Which means he can still make a living in the league .
He definitely can. He can come back and be in the same spot next year if he doesn’t get better. But he has a legitimate shot to improve to a mid first rounder and make himself more money in the process. I don’t think he’s hit his draft ceiling (unlike someone like Hurt) and he could improve his stock by coming back. Having said that, I wouldn’t blame him for going now either.

I see 0 chance of Hurt coming back. This year sucked for many reasons, but once Jalen went out, things essentially worked out perfect for Hurt. We ran our offense through him, and he delivered bucket after bucket. His numbers would decrease next year with Banchero in the lineup too.
Hurt came into college old for his grade, he wanted to leave last year but didn't do enough last year to warrant that. He came into college seeing himself as a OAD guy, and I believe his dad thought the exact same, wasn't he annoyed with how little K used him his freshman year?? I don't think he would ever be able to improve his stock if he's really slotted to go in the 30's, that's pretty good. Plus the draft next year is gonna be deeper than this year.

I think we get everyone else back minus Goldwire and Tape. I could see Steward putting his name in for feedback, but I see him coming back.

I love what Hurt did for us this year. The kid fought hard and played very well over the last 4 weeks. We all wanted him to come back this year stronger, and he did. But I agree 100% that his draft stock will never be higher. He needs to go now in his own best interest.

I agree with the argument that Williams, on the other hand can greatly improve his stock by coming back, dominating like he started to do those last few games and go first round next year. But we all know how things work these days, so I would not be shocked to see him go this year. I am trying not to get my hopes up too high.

It would be odd if Williams left and Hurt returned. But chances are it will be the opposite. Hurts stock may not get much higher. Both come back and we're loaded. But that seems like a fantasy these days.

Matt Hurt had a stat line that has only ever been achieved once in all of college basketball history to be over
18 ppg
6 rpg
55%fg
40%3pt

only other player Doug McDermott in 2011

Gone: Hurt, Brakefield, Goldwire, Tape
Maybe: Steward
Back: Roach, Williams, Moore, Coleman, Baker
Recruits: Banchero, Griffin, Baldwin, Keels

Years of experience following recruiting in multiple sports.
Reading tea leaves.
Being a huge fan.
Analyzing rosters and the potential decisions.
How accurate is your track record?

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT