ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is Staying ... Going? Thoughts?

I know absolutely nothing about playing overseas. Does a player of Goldwire's caliber have an opportunity to play overseas? I am not bashing or slighting. I'm just curious. In general I am Goldwire fan.
Yes, Jordan can play overseas. There are many international basketball leagues, pay can range anywhere from 50K to 5+ million depending on the league you are in/ how good you are. Essentially any major D1 guy that gets on the floor has the ability to play pro basketball somewhere.
Will he choose to?? I’m not sure, I could see him going into coaching like Tyler Thornton did, but pro basketball would 100% be an option for Jordan.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Just like Moore was gonna be all ACC as a freshman. :) I know Griffin is a top 10 guy.

I can't see Jordan playing overseas either. But, I hope the young man is able to find a place somewhere if basketball is what he wants to do with his life post Duke. Possibly on a bench as a grad assistant for a former player of Duke?
Ty Thornton and Josh Hairston played over seas, as is JRob.

Reactions: youngman42
Perhaps I'm exaggerating but i remember some people being sky high on Moore being an impact freshman and one and done. My point is we see all freshman as glass half full.

Reactions: jnastasi
If Goldwire is indeed moving on I honestly don't see what his rush is. Esp. as Keels may not be coming.

Yeah, looking like we've whiffed on Baldwin and Keels. You know, I hate that Kessler is playing well for the holes. He spurned us and on top of that he looks just like a guy I know who is a complete and total jackass Carolina fan. Random, I know, but since we've got to watch them keep playing it just makes all this shit even worse.

Perhaps I'm exaggerating but i remember some people being sky high on Moore being an impact freshman and one and done. My point is we see all freshman as glass half full.
I get the hesitancy, but remember that not all freshmen are the same and not all classes are the same. I know Moore “wanted” to be OAD, and was seen as a kid who was here two years at most in his mind, but most scouts saw him as a really good athlete, above avg body, but didn’t excel at anything.

Griffin, he’s a flat out stud.

Reactions: christophero
You know, the more I think about it Hurt should come back. Why can't we be loaded up front next year and be successful? Carolina has five hundred big guys this year. If they can do it, so can we.

The one knock on Moore is what we have seen. A lot of recruiting people wanted to see how he would act to not being the most physical body on the floor. He came out of Charlotte and was known as a two way player but played against players smaller then him. It’s taken him a while to adapt and get comfortable.
Griffin starts . This is why I think Duke could move more to the two spot as a combo secondary ball handler with steward as a sixth man off the bench .

Williams, Hurt and Banchero, though unlikely, would be our best frontcourt in years. That's almost 60 points per game right there. With Coleman and Brakefield as backups.

Last edited:
Hurt goes. Goldwire moves on. I think the rest come back, although Williams may get some feedback but I'd say he's back. Williams leaving is not probable but is certainly possible.

Think Hurt has to go pro this season given his offensive numbers and who’s coming back along with Blanchero & Griffin definitely coming to Duke. In addition, we are adding Keels and possibly Baldwin. Don’t think Hurt can get the touches next year to put the numbers up that he did this year. Now, if he does come back, needs to work on defense and post moves.

Have got a feeling Williams draft stock really rises and he may go pro after getting evaluated post Final Four. Just not many guys who are a legit 7 feet and have the room to further fill out. There hasn’t been another NBA season in a couple decades that guys Williams size has had this big of an impact on the game. With Embiid, Gobert, AD, and the list continues, teams are working back towards having legit Centers.

Regarding the rest of the roster, think it would be idiotic for any guys like Roach, Steward, or Moore to leave. Could see Coleman or Brakefield transferring especially if K lands Baldwin and Keels.

It would be sick. Won’t happen, but it would be sick.

I’d take Baldwin, Blanchero and Williams or Griffin, Blanchero and Williams. Just don’t see Hurt coming back. Would be similar to Grayson coming back after his breakout year as a Sophomore only to take a big dip in all offensive categories.

Are we completely out of it for Baldwin? I wonder if he is waiting on Hurt. I know Baldwin is good but Hurt just averaged 20 a game and they play the same position. I guess Baldwin could play the 3. I'd rather have Williams back than any recruit though.

Hurt declaring will help with Baldwin but he’s still going to be a strong lean to UW Milwaukee. Baldwin has a similar game as Hurt does from behind the 3 point line, but he’s much better at attacking the basket than Hurt. I just don’t get how long he think that he can help keep his dad’s job. At tops, it’s 2 years and that’s assuming UWM makes the NCAA Tournament. As soon as Baldwin goes pro, his dad gets canned or may get one extra year.

He may help with getting UWM on TV 3-4 times, buts it’s nothing like getting 20-25 games on ESPN during the regular season. For the amount of marketing dollars that he’s going to lose out on during his first few years in the NBA, he could make sure his dad could retire.

I’d take Baldwin, Blanchero and Williams or Griffin, Blanchero and Williams. Just don’t see Hurt coming back. Would be similar to Grayson coming back after his breakout year as a Sophomore only to take a big dip in all offensive categories.
Good comparison. I see it the same, if not even worse for Matt due to the quality players we will have in the post. Also, no biggie, but Banchero

Hurt declaring will help with Baldwin but he’s still going to be a strong lean to UW Milwaukee. Baldwin has a similar game as Hurt does from behind the 3 point line, but he’s much better at attacking the basket than Hurt. I just don’t get how long he think that he can help keep his dad’s job. At tops, it’s 2 years and that’s assuming UWM makes the NCAA Tournament. As soon as Baldwin goes pro, his dad gets canned or may get one extra year.

He may help with getting UWM on TV 3-4 times, buts it’s nothing like getting 20-25 games on ESPN during the regular season. For the amount of marketing dollars that he’s going to lose out on during his first few years in the NBA, he could make sure his dad could retire.
Can Baldwin attack the basket against ACC big men and handle the contact? Looks pretty thin.

UWM, where he’s most likely going, may be on tv once. Maybe, if they schedule some high major game. Or in a preseason tournament.

bottom line is we will be with the below group:

Roach
Steward
Griffin
Banchero
Williams (hopefully)

as our starting five. Should be pretty damn strong.

Latest mock had him at 6. Not knocking him, but how you play your freshman season obviously does not matter to scouts one bit if you have talent.

Last edited:
Williams is not what the NBA is remotely interested in. He would be making a huge mistake to leave
While I won’t agree with the looking for statement, at this stage he’d be no different then thon Maker and Mo Bamba . Give him another year of working on his jumper and fade away and he’s first round with playing time.

Okay honest question. Why is Mark Williams not what the NBA is looking for, and yet he will be next year? Is he going to start shooting like Steph Curry? I really hope he stays, but the NBA does draft on potential.

Last edited:
Okay honest question. Why is Mark Williams not what the NBA is looking for, and yet he will be next year? Is he going to start shooting like Steph Curry? I really hope he stays, but the NBA does draft on potential.
I think he stays and refines his game. He has load of potential and luckily for him, his sister hangs in the rafters and is a pro. I think Mark can improve on so much that he would be down right scary next to Pablo .

Allow me to summarize. If he leaves, he leaves. If he comes back, he comes back. It’s up to him, not a bunch of armchair experts with internet access. Let it play out. You’re welcome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT