ADVERTISEMENT

Who is most likely to make the biggest per game scoring average increase among returning Duke player

Reactions: Liftee
Wendell Moore.. he averaged 7.4 last year and I could see him bumping it up 5 to 12.4ppg.

Hurt averaged 9.7ppg.. I don’t see him getting up to 14.7 because more than his scoring, it’s most important he plays harder/stronger defense this coming season.

Baker & Goldwire I see increasing their scoring a couple points per game.

Hurt is such a natural scorer he could possibly average 20. He won't in all likelihood (maybe if he had a junior year) but 17 seems about right.

I’m gonna go with Moore and Baker.

Moore has the ability to get more easier baskets off his defense and Baker because of his ability to shoot and one would think he works on his driving the ball to the basket to keep defenses honest and not keep him heavily guarded on the perimeter

Reactions: christophero
Hurt and Moore will have the best opportunity bc they both should get a lot of play time.

Baker could be the guy who's ppg average jumps the most if he is on the floor more.

JGold might have around the same ppg

Out of the new comers, Johnson probably will lead all Fr in scoring, followed by Steward then Roach but Tape has the potential to score too. Especially if he and Williams split time at the 5

One of Moore/Hurt is gonna break out, that much is obvious. For Duke to be a final four caliber team, IMO both need to break out and become elite college players.

I'd probably go with Hurt, think he can get to 17-18 ppg. Moore should have some big scoring games, but his contributions will be much more than scoring.

One of Moore/Hurt is gonna break out, that much is obvious. For Duke to be a final four caliber team, IMO both need to break out and become elite college players.

I'd probably go with Hurt, think he can get to 17-18 ppg. Moore should have some big scoring games, but his contributions will be much more than scoring.
If Moore can be a 12-13 a night guy i think that’s what we need. Like you said he will do (hopefully) nearly everything else. Handle the ball, distribute, rebound, lock up defense and hopefully a vocal leader.

Hurt and Moore just need to be consistent. Goldwire and Baker being consistent will help too. Because we all know freshman are inconsistent. Zion and Bagley are 2 exceptions, but they are not suiting up this year.

If Moore can be a 12-13 a night guy i think that’s what we need. Like you said he will do (hopefully) nearly everything else. Handle the ball, distribute, rebound, lock up defense and hopefully a vocal leader.
If Moore can average 12-13ppg that means we will be really good.. Defenses will have to play close on JJ and Hurt and they will have to defend the post as well, since we will likely have 1-2 post players on the court most of the time.. so that leaves Moore free to play inside or out and not have one of the better defenders on him.. as a Soph. he SHOULD be able to exploit this and get a lot of easy buckets.

I think it's Moore. I think he can be that 12-14 point guy. He showed flashes of brilliance last year. I see him getting to the rim and hitting open threes just the way Stanley did last year.

I don't think it's Baker. Unless he's greatly improved his footwork on defense I think he will see limited minutes as a spot up 3 point shooter. I do however envision games where Baker hits 4 or 5 threes and is the hero.

Agreed Baker will have to hit his shots to play. If he can hit consistently it will be hard to keep him off the floor. Maybe work on a pull up game.

If Moore realizes that he’s strong enough to get to the rack against most next year, he’ll get to that 12-13 a night. He’s not the fastest but not many can stop his strength.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT