ADVERTISEMENT

What are some of your thoughts so far?

LetsGoDuke301

Cameron Crazy
Apr 4, 2009
Wilmington, NC
With me. I say it has gone somewhat how I anticipated. It's going to be a high blood pressure year for us fans, but I think we will be pretty good once the team gels.

I think with Allen, he had one of the worst possible games against Kentucky and that is a concern, but he bounced back in a great way against VCU and I think he will be a great player and will learn more and more as the year goes on.

Thornton has shown flashes and is getting used to the speed of the game. I think that his efforts against UK and his follow up performance against VCU show that he will be a great leader for us. He needs to see the court better and improve his delivery, but overall at this stage, there is a lot of promise with him.

Kennard, I think once he has a good shooting game, his confidence will improve and so will is performance.

I want to see Jeter improve so we have another front court option. I like how he has looked at times, but he needs to communicate better in order to see the floor.

Jefferson and Plumlee have exceeded expectations IMO, if that continues, Duke will be in good shape.

My biggest disappointment so far has been Ingram. It's early and I may be proven wrong. But if he is a OAD, so is Luke May.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game to see how everyone looks 2 days removed from a challenging victory over a decent VCU team.

Go Duke!

Thornton seems to be progressing quickly. Veterans need to be steady and Jefferson has been really good. I think it's just a team developing confidence.

I love the potential of our freshmen, but I feel like they will develop with time. It's a fun team to watch because anyone can be a star on any night. I actually like that a little more this year.

Looking forward to how we develop as a team.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
The Blue Devils have a lot of room for improvement, but there is plenty of time to get there.

Amile and Plum are giving us good production. Amile plays good defense, and rebounds well, plus chips in a little with scoring.
Marshall is a big body that provides some toughness, and a bit of rim protection. His thunder dunks fire up the team.
Jeter has looked good in spots. Don't know if he'll have an impact this year or not...but if he does that will bode really well for Duke
Obi...I'm not sure yet...he does rebound very well when he's in there. Could be awhile.
Vrank...looked good what little he's played. Don't know if he'll contribute this season or not.

Matt Jones continues to make big shots for us, and play solid D.

Grayson Allen showed the type of player he is by exploding against VCU after being throttled by Kentucky. He won't accept being average.

Derryck is growing up right before our eyes...he's going to be very good...and I don't think it's that long before he gets there.

Luke just needs to see his shot drop, and when it does...watch out. That will make our offense sooooo much better!

Brandon hasn't been as good as we would like, but I've seen flashes of brilliance (just too far in between them). He has all the ability in the world, but I think he's also doubting himself now also. It may take a little longer than we thought, but I believe it's going to come together for him (and Duke) this year. If he gets it going, we're going to be extremely difficult to handle.

This team has a lot of potential, but a ways to go to get there. We're good already, and capable of being much, much more. Just have to wait and see how the pieces fall in place.

OFC

Points in the paint....and those are coming off of dribble penetration. We have to stop dribble penetration.

I'm not worried about the offense that will come around, but sometimes watching teams run a layup line on us for forty minutes can be extremely frustrating. If we figure out a way to contain the dribble I really think we will be good to go.

With me. I say it has gone somewhat how I anticipated. It's going to be a high blood pressure year for us fans, but I think we will be pretty good once the team gels.

I think with Allen, he had one of the worst possible games against Kentucky and that is a concern, but he bounced back in a great way against VCU and I think he will be a great player and will learn more and more as the year goes on.

Thornton has shown flashes and is getting used to the speed of the game. I think that his efforts against UK and his follow up performance against VCU show that he will be a great leader for us. He needs to see the court better and improve his delivery, but overall at this stage, there is a lot of promise with him.

Kennard, I think once he has a good shooting game, his confidence will improve and so will is performance.

I want to see Jeter improve so we have another front court option. I like how he has looked at times, but he needs to communicate better in order to see the floor.

Jefferson and Plumlee have exceeded expectations IMO, if that continues, Duke will be in good shape.

My biggest disappointment so far has been Ingram. It's early and I may be proven wrong. But if he is a OAD, so is Luke May.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game to see how everyone looks 2 days removed from a challenging victory over a decent VCU team.

Go Duke!
I feel like jeter hasn't showed up either. I agree with you as well on Ingram. I keep wondering when Ingram is going to show up, but yea.. They are young team and will continue to grow. Once the pieces come together, they have a legitimate shot at the final four. Right now I'm just enjoying Dukes win last night and hoping for a win tomorrow. I'm also enjoying UNC's loss today.

Go Duke!

Luckily, almost all of this team's issues can be fixed and will be fixed as their experience and chemistry increases..

The only thing they won't be able to fix is the fact that they have 1 true point guard, and he is the youngest player on the team..

The good news is, that is one more PG than we had in 2010.

Not gonna say too much right now, but I think Brandon will be fine, it's only 4 games out of a possible 40, so my opinion is far from finished on him.

Luckily, almost all of this team's issues can be fixed and will be fixed as their experience and chemistry increases..

The only thing they won't be able to fix is the fact that they have 1 true point guard, and he is the youngest player on the team..

The good news is, that is one more PG than we had in 2010.

Disagree. Nolan and Jon were rock solid in terms of handling the ball, whether they could be regarded as true PG. On the current team, I trust DT's handle. I get nervous when anyone else dribbles the ball more than 5 dribbles under pressure.

4 games into the season. 3-1. It's early. We have a long ways to go. We have a lot of young guys that no doubt will get a lot better. Jeter, Ingram, Thornton and Kennard, You can add Grayson to that youth list also because he has only started 4 games in his career. Are we where we should be at this point of the season. I think we are. If we had beat UK what would be the demeanor of this board right now. Let's give it ten more games then ask the same question again. OFC.

The Blue Devils have a lot of room for improvement, but there is plenty of time to get there.

Amile and Plum are giving us good production. Amile plays good defense, and rebounds well, plus chips in a little with scoring.
Marshall is a big body that provides some toughness, and a bit of rim protection. His thunder dunks fire up the team.
Jeter has looked good in spots. Don't know if he'll have an impact this year or not...but if he does that will bode really well for Duke
Obi...I'm not sure yet...he does rebound very well when he's in there. Could be awhile.
Vrank...looked good what little he's played. Don't know if he'll contribute this season or not.

Matt Jones continues to make big shots for us, and play solid D.

Grayson Allen showed the type of player he is by exploding against VCU after being throttled by Kentucky. He won't accept being average.

Derryck is growing up right before our eyes...he's going to be very good...and I don't think it's that long before he gets there.

Luke just needs to see his shot drop, and when it does...watch out. That will make our offense sooooo much better!

Brandon hasn't been as good as we would like, but I've seen flashes of brilliance (just too far in between them). He has all the ability in the world, but I think he's also doubting himself now also. It may take a little longer than we thought, but I believe it's going to come together for him (and Duke) this year. If he gets it going, we're going to be extremely difficult to handle.

This team has a lot of potential, but a ways to go to get there. We're good already, and capable of being much, much more. Just have to wait and see how the pieces fall in place.

OFC

Yep. That's about it so far. OFC

I feel this is an extremely down year for basketball therefore it'll be interesting what our finished product will be because it's not going to take being Duke of last year good to make the final four but hopefully we can get to where we are good enough

Good guards can carry a basketball team pretty far and I really like the upside of our guards. And I'll throw Ingram in with that group. I think we have a good mixture of skill sets and physical attributes out on the perimeter. Really it's all a matter of them gaining experience. learning to play together, and finding their roles. Each one of them, even Matt, is still developing as a player and could be better months down the road. Kennard and Ingram are both struggling shooting the ball right now but I don't think that's reflective of their actual abilities, just more like in a slump or just simply trying to adjust to the college game. .

Last edited:
Brandon is just too thin, I don't see that changing, however, Luke is adjusting to rebounding and playing defense instead of worrying about his shot...good sign.

young, inconsistent defense, not very physical...can make this up over the year with tuning up D, Thornton has the athletic ability to defend the point in way we haven't had since Duhon. Offensive consistency which with help limit run outs which killed us against Kent. Maturing over the year...letting K and staff do their thing...It will be good...just don't use last year as bench as mark as they are VERY different teams.

This team has enough scoring and athletic talent to go the distance, but they don't move the ball around well consistently. All 5 of our title teams strung together passes in a way that showed they were mentally one step ahead of opponents. This team doesn't have that so far, as they haven't been together long enough. Last year, Tyus and Quinn were just naturals, and adjusted quickly. These young guys now have to focus on where THEY themselves are on the floor still. Once they can do that and start tracking and anticipating their teammates' movement, we'll hopefully see some magic. I think Brandon may have that ability but is struggling with his body, the speed and now perhaps confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT