ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

Jordan Spieth. He's due and I know he's not the longest player but I think he has the mental game to survive. Course is a beast

Really like that call. I think of the big names I'd go Day, DJ and then Rickie. I do like Rahm here as well.
Rahm's ability to hit it long makes him an INSTANT FACTOR on this mammoth layout. However I like Mac's pick for the reasons he mentioned,and I've got Jordan. OFC

Reactions: germantondevil
Rahm's ability to hit it long makes him an INSTANT FACTOR on this mammoth layout. However I like Mac's pick for the reasons he mentioned,and I've got Jordan. OFC
I think Spieth has lost that mental edge ever since the masters last year. At least compared to where it was. I don't see him contending this week but would love to be wrong.

I like Fowler but I'm not sure a major will ever happen for him...maybe he'll be like Sergio.....maybe I'm wrong and he wins a handful...

Whenever I hear Rory saying he loves a setup, plus the big fairways with his ability as one of the best drivers in the game (he will be hitting a lot of drivers each day), I think even with the layoff he will reduce this course to chip and putt by his standards. He will need to putt ok, but not great if he is on his driver. He said he thinks 7-10 under is possible, that tells me all I need to know.

Golf, tennis, NASCAR: 3 reasons why football and basketball can't get here quick enough

Reactions: dbav
Day hits his driving iron very long and very straight. His short game is also top notch. I give him the slight edge, but this open more than any other feels very wide open. Can't remember a year when so many new young guns were winning on a weekly basis. Obviously the cream generally rises to the top in a major, but wouldn't shock me to see a long shot take it home.

I will throw another name out there, not really a long shot but Justin Thomas. May not be the best major for his game, but he can get it going with the best of them. Just not sure he is accurate enough for 4 rounds at a US Open, but good value whatever his odds are.

I like Justin Thomas also, hits it a long way. Rory's comments today were awesome in the press conference. He's got the new spdr putter in his bag, if he strikes it like he's capabale all he has to to do is be an average tour putter and he will be right there. I definitely agree it's wide open.

I think Spieth has lost that mental edge ever since the masters last year. At least compared to where it was. I don't see him contending this week but would love to be wrong.

The odds makers have him contending at about the #3 favorite to win, but I see your point. Obviously Mickelson has lost the "mental edge" and even admitted it in a post rd interview Sunday.

OFC

Rahm will give it a heck of a run this week IMO. never count out those Europeans,,Rose, Rory, Stenson, they always show up for the Majors. Even as accurate as Sergio is with those long irons he has a good chance for his 2nd major this year

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yeah hope he can play but I don't think it's going to happen. think he said he needed a 4hr delay to make it and that he hasn't prepared any for that course.
That might could help Phil. The less he thinks at this major the better he might be

nobody is saying much about Adam Scott. He has been playing pretty good the past couple of tournaments. He is due to make a big charge in a major event. Long enough to play this course also as is Dustin Johnson if he can get that mental edge back he had before he fell down the steps. This is a big hitters course.

nobody is saying much about Adam Scott. He has been playing pretty good the past couple of tournaments. He is due to make a big charge in a major event. Long enough to play this course also as is Dustin Johnson if he can get that mental edge back he had before he fell down the steps. This is a big hitters course.

Agree Johnson is already one of the tour's best if not THE BEST. Absolutely he's aided even more so by the fact its a mammoth layout and it favors the big hitter! OFC

Mr. Fowler got NASTY today!!.....Long LONG way from home though.
My boy Jason Day gives me gray hair

Fowler was on his game today, after missing cut last week. Got his focus at the right time!

OFC

Yep....He's my second favorite....love to see him hang on and win it. I haven't looked it up, but I'd bet the first round leader doesn't win it often?

Here it is....only 4 wire to wire winners and only 7 first round leaders have finished top 10 in the last 20 years....stick it to 'em Ricky!!

Total first-round leaders including ties since 1997

Wins

Five – Tiger Woods (2000, 2002), Retief Goosen (2001), Rory McIlroy (2011) and Martin Kaymer (2014)

Wire-to-wire winners

Four - Woods (2000 and 2002), McIlroy (2011) and Kaymer (2014)

Second-place finishes

Seven - Colin Montgomerie (1997, 2006), Phil Mickelson (1999, 2013), Payne Stewart (1998), Michael Thompson (2013) and Dustin Johnson (2015)

Top-10 finishes

Seven - David Duval, T7 (1999), Billy Mayfair, T10 (1999), Shigeki Maruyama, T4 (2004), Jay Haas, T9 (2004), Rocco Mediate, T6 (2005), Nick Dougherty, T7 (2007) and Mike Weir, T10 (2009)

Here it is....only 4 wire to wire winners and only 7 first round leaders have finished top 10 in the last 20 years....stick it to 'em Ricky!!

Total first-round leaders including ties since 1997

Wins

Five – Tiger Woods (2000, 2002), Retief Goosen (2001), Rory McIlroy (2011) and Martin Kaymer (2014)

Wire-to-wire winners

Four - Woods (2000 and 2002), McIlroy (2011) and Kaymer (2014)

Second-place finishes

Seven - Colin Montgomerie (1997, 2006), Phil Mickelson (1999, 2013), Payne Stewart (1998), Michael Thompson (2013) and Dustin Johnson (2015)

Top-10 finishes

Seven - David Duval, T7 (1999), Billy Mayfair, T10 (1999), Shigeki Maruyama, T4 (2004), Jay Haas, T9 (2004), Rocco Mediate, T6 (2005), Nick Dougherty, T7 (2007) and Mike Weir, T10 (2009)

Wow! Good stuff!
OFC

Speith and Dustin Johnson playing together again today-

Spieth birdied 1st hole moves to EVEN
Johnson birdied 1st 2 moves to +1

Still 8 and 9 off pace respectively, but dont count either out....

OFC

Speith and Dustin Johnson playing together again today-

Spieth birdied 1st hole moves to EVEN
Johnson birdied 1st 2 moves to +1

Still 8 and 9 off pace respectively, but dont count either out....

OFC
I would like to see DJ come back and win it.

I am supposed to be driving to Ohio Monday to play a TPC course there. I am so frustrated with my boy Jason Day, I may ride by and egg his house!! If you see it in the news, don't expect me on the board for a couple of days!!

Rory Mcllroy was unbeatable playing Titleist. The change to Nike did something to his confidence that he is not the same golfer. Hard to turn down that Nike money.

Last edited:
Paul Casey has turned it around after being mediocre for several years. He has been running very close to winning the big tournaments lately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT