ADVERTISEMENT

UK/Georgia Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Crank_it_loud:
Pull their bigs away from the basket and make them move. Drive-and-kick. On D, run zone, make them shoot over you, and double Towns in the post (if possible). Yes, Duke's lead guards are small, but the Harrisons would have a tough time staying in front of them. GA had a PG last night who struggled dribbling the ball when left alone, and even he was getting into the paint.

As a side note - I'd love to see Lyles trying to stay with Winslow. They could go small and put a Harrison "stunt man" (stunt man since they dive so well) or a SF on him, but I am confident that it would work in Duke's favor there.
Add that to the on going list of things you have to do to beat UK. Everybody knows (or thinks they know) the formula to win, yet no one has been able to do it, and few have even gotten close.

Knowing the best way to beat them and actually beating them are two completely different things. I do think we can do it because we present a few problems for them too....my main concern for us though is getting to that point. We must defend better (more consistently), make free throws and be in constant focus to make a run. We've have some impressive wins where our execution down the stretch has been flawless, but it only take one time of not being flawless to end a season.

Originally posted by dukiejay:
Knowing the best way to beat them and actually beating them are two completely different things. I do think we can do it because we present a few problems for them too....my main concern for us though is getting to that point. We must defend better (more consistently), make free throws and be in constant focus to make a run. We've have some impressive wins where our execution down the stretch has been flawless, but it only take one time of not being flawless to end a season.
Great points man. I think we are one of the handful of teams that could possibly beat the cats. Personally, I want to see them in the championship game because I believe it would be a great game. I think we might would have another classic on our hands. However, I am just worried about each game leading up to it. We could win the title or we could be going home the first weekend. It is all in how we play. I think the team can use the VT game as a guide on how not to play lower tier teams. One at a time. And also, Sky, I am with you too buddy. I just want to win a national championship. I don't care who we play, as long as we win.

Duke is on the short list of teams that have the best chance of beating UK, for sure. Virginia scares me more than anybody. Because they will absolutely take the air out of the ball and will not push the tempo whatsoever. They are great defensively and we struggle from time to time offensively in the half court. But if we're making shots, forget about it.

That's the thing. If Duke sees UK, it means they are in the Final Four or NC game, and Duke has to do a lot of things right to make it that far.

Originally posted by uk_fan_in_tn:
But if we're making shots, forget about it.
I think that applies to a lot of teams, though. If Georgia had been able to capitalize on a couple of those front ends last night the ending could have been much more exciting. Plus, they didn't hit an outside shot to save their life.

UK is good. And I don't have a problem admitting they're the best team in the country. But they're beatable....and much more beatable than I think some UK fans would like to believe. Georgia gave themselves an opportunity last night they just couldn't convert when it counted. That's why they're Georgia and a likely 7 to 10 seed.

But they're beatable....and much more beatable than I think some UK fans would like to believe.
Or Jay Bilas. Count me among those who don't think they'll lose this year, but cripes was Bilas annoying at times last night. Like you said, they're not unbeatable. But I feel bad for the team that does beat them because they'll never get credit for it. It'll always be about how Kentucky wasn't into the game or whatever.

Here's a great piece of advice for 95% of the UK fanbase: Don't expect to win the tournament.

I learned this the hard way in '99 when I thought Duke was invincible. Man, no loss has ever hurt so bad in my life.

There is going to be a lot of pain in big blue nation if they don't win it all because they are mostly convinced they will not lose a game. They won't admit it, but they have already dubbed this "#9"

Agreed. '99 was the worst.

I fully expect this UK team to run the table though. Outside of us, Wis, Zona, And Virginia I don't think anyone has a chance to beat them.

Originally posted by Showenuff:

Originally posted by uk_fan_i

few have even gotten close.
uh, yea. Okay.
2 games total decided by one possession or less. 3 games total decided by two possessions or less. 7 games total decided by single digits.

This post was edited on 3/4 4:16 PM by uk_fan_in_tn

There's a wide gap between the top 6-8 and the rest of the field. The good thing about that though, is the #2 seeds this year are actually really, really, really good. Wisconsin, Arizona, Gonzaga, and Kansas are projected as the #2 seeds currently. In most years, Lunardi would have ALL four of these teams as 1 seeds. I include Kansas in their with 6 losses because they have the #1 SOS and their ranked #2 in the RPI. 7 of the top 8 teams have 3 losses or fewer - most years you'll find that there's a #1 seed with 5 or 6 losses, and sometimes with even 7 losses. These top teams have all been handling their business during the conference season. Most seasons I always look for teams in the 3-5 seed range to make a run at the final four. I'm not sure I see it this year. I think Utah and North Carolina are the only teams I could see challenging UK in the Sweet 16, but I don't see either of them going all the way to the final four... so most likely the Cats won't have a real test until the Elite 8. Their team is stacked, no doubt. But they will have some serious competition in their final three games with heavyweights like Duke, Wisconsin, Virginia, or Arizona.

Originally posted by uk_fan_i

few have even gotten close.

uh, yea. Okay.
8 single digit wins, and those 8 teams have combined to lose a total of 83 games (and that is not including a 12 point win over a 12-loss Texas team). UK gets a lot of credit for winning them all, but we shouldn't pretend that a lot of average to below-average teams haven't pushed them. They have.

This post was edited on 3/4 3:45 PM by HuffyJB

Or maybe just a reality that UK is more beatable after all.....
Come on dude you and FearTheBeard are 2 of the posters who really never say anything but negative about UK. I have a ton of respect for Duke and coach K im sure most of you know that. I dont think anybody has come on here saying UK is unbeatable but hey were 30-0 right now won 37 of our last 40 games only losses 2x to #1 F4 Florida and Uconn in the title game. We added really WCS who was hurt last year and will be a lottery pick, KAT probably the #2 pick in the draft, Lyles a potential lottery pick, Booker a potential lottery pick and Ulis. Along with a year older and better Harrison twins, Dakari and Lee. Heck we could have 6-8 240 junior Poythress to add to our depth also. After watching Tubby ball for 10 years and the BCG fiasco for 2 years most of our fanbase is excited as ive ever seen them.

Ill lay it out like this, no im not a expert and yes im a UK fan thru and thru but ill say it again. IF Duke makes it to the F4 or title game and we do too ill take us this year. Duke is suspect on defense, we have the best defense record setting. Were taller at every position especially the guards. Were 3 players deeper. We play to our competion but so do you. I really think Ulis will match up well with Tyus, Booker/Lyles with Winslow and Karl with Okafor.

Here are the matchups look at the size difference
- Tyus 6-1 190/Andrew 6-6 210 and Ulis 5-9 155
- Quinn 6-2 185/Aaron 6-6 212
- Winslow 6-6 225/Lyles 6-10 235
- Amile 6-9 215/WCS 7-0 240 and Lee 6-9 220
- Okafor 6-11 270/KAT 6-11 250 and Dakari 7-0 255
- Jones 6-5 210/Booker 6-6 206
Doubt they play more then 5 minutes in this game unless foul trouble but
- Allen 6-4 195
- MP3 7-0 255

- Tyus and Quinn will have to shoot over 3 6-6 200 plus pound guards along with a 7-0, 7-0, 6-11, 6-10 and 6-9 pretty agile big guys closing out on them in switches.
- Okafor might be the best big on the court but he will have to play nearly 40 minutes with 7-0 255, 6-11 250, 7-0 240 on him with 15 fouls to spare to his only 5.
- I dont think the other players can beat us imo.
- I know we went to the NIT in 2013 but also have E8, F4, NT, NT runner-up, 30-0 so far under Cal.
- 2 of the last 3 years Duke lost to Lehigh and Mercer and since youve won the title weve been to a F4, NT, NT runner-up and 30-0.

Their i said what most UK fans think in a less nasty way. Im sure you can counter every point some way or another but im sure i could counter it too. I personally would love to play Duke in the F4 or title game but i dont think it will happen.

Well, 2013 doesn't matter for you and Lehigh and Mercer don't matter for us. Not sure why either is even a part of your argument.

Anyway, I just think Duke fans don't need UK fans to come here and tell us how good they think their team is or can be. We already know they're very good. If you can't handle the fact that Duke fans might think UK is beatable then why post here? The 'Cats proved last night they're a tough bunch, but they also proved they're not 15-20 points better than everyone else. And we all know that it only takes once.

Originally posted by zoid1:

Or maybe just a reality that UK is more beatable after all.....
Come on dude you and FearTheBeard are 2 of the posters who really never say anything but negative about UK. I have a ton of respect for Duke and coach K im sure most of you know that. I dont think anybody has come on here saying UK is unbeatable but hey were 30-0 right now won 37 of our last 40 games only losses 2x to #1 F4 Florida and Uconn in the title game. We added really WCS who was hurt last year and will be a lottery pick, KAT probably the #2 pick in the draft, Lyles a potential lottery pick, Booker a potential lottery pick and Ulis. Along with a year older and better Harrison twins, Dakari and Lee. Heck we could have 6-8 240 junior Poythress to add to our depth also. After watching Tubby ball for 10 years and the BCG fiasco for 2 years most of our fanbase is excited as ive ever seen them.

Ill lay it out like this, no im not a expert and yes im a UK fan thru and thru but ill say it again. IF Duke makes it to the F4 or title game and we do too ill take us this year. Duke is suspect on defense, we have the best defense record setting. Were taller at every position especially the guards. Were 3 players deeper. We play to our competion but so do you. I really think Ulis will match up well with Tyus, Booker/Lyles with Winslow and Karl with Okafor.

Here are the matchups look at the size difference
- Tyus 6-1 190/Andrew 6-6 210 and Ulis 5-9 155
- Quinn 6-2 185/Aaron 6-6 212
- Winslow 6-6 225/Lyles 6-10 235
- Amile 6-9 215/WCS 7-0 240 and Lee 6-9 220
- Okafor 6-11 270/KAT 6-11 250 and Dakari 7-0 255
- Jones 6-5 210/Booker 6-6 206
Doubt they play more then 5 minutes in this game unless foul trouble but
- Allen 6-4 195
- MP3 7-0 255

- Tyus and Quinn will have to shoot over 3 6-6 200 plus pound guards along with a 7-0, 7-0, 6-11, 6-10 and 6-9 pretty agile big guys closing out on them in switches.
- Okafor might be the best big on the court but he will have to play nearly 40 minutes with 7-0 255, 6-11 250, 7-0 240 on him with 15 fouls to spare to his only 5.
- I dont think the other players can beat us imo.
- I know we went to the NIT in 2013 but also have E8, F4, NT, NT runner-up, 30-0 so far under Cal.
- 2 of the last 3 years Duke lost to Lehigh and Mercer and since youve won the title weve been to a F4, NT, NT runner-up and 30-0.

Their i said what most UK fans think in a less nasty way. Im sure you can counter every point some way or another but im sure i could counter it too. I personally would love to play Duke in the F4 or title game but i dont think it will happen.
roll.r191677.gif

Seriously? I posted earlier in a thread, I believe in a reply to you, that I thought KY is a great team. I posted that it's quite possible that KY will go undefeated and win the championship. I also posted a counter argument that they may not. I have posted plenty of "positive" things about KY. I just don't see them as world-beaters. I also think Duke matches up really well against KY; especially the more I watch KY play and knowing it will be in a tournament situation when bench play isn't as much of a factor. I'm not saying Duke would win, but I like Duke's chances.

I'm more afraid of playing Wisky than KY because I never like playing a team in the tournament that Duke beat during the regular season. It's the reason I picked UL as our loss a few years ago.

Posting that KY is not as invincible as their record suggests doesn't equate to "never say anything but negative about UK." I have literally posted plenty of positive things about KY this season. Much more than I have in all other years combined. That doesn't mean that I can't still have an opinion that Duke matches up well against KY, while also saying "positive" things about KY. KY matches up really well against a lot of teams, but Duke is not one of them, IMO.

UK gets up and plays well for big name teams,ask KU,UCLA,Tex,UNC,UL,Ark...See the trouble Duke had with the UNC bigs? Kentucky has bigger ,better and more bigs than UNC ..Anyway,I think you'll get your wish.Duke will be our 2 seed with a loss to UNC and one more in the ACCT
God I hope we get them in the tourney.

This all makes for great conversation, but the fact is, until they actually play, this is all white noise. Who in NC really cares how good Kentucky is until we play them? I think they are a very good team, in a below average conference. I also think this team is nowhere as good as the 2010 team with Wall and the championship team with Davis. But what does that matter? The media and Cal has pumped their invincibility campaign, its now March. Either live it, or talk amongst yourselves.

I agree with you on the 10 and 12 teams being better..10 team was the top team that year that went 0-20 from 3 and got upset by WV...The 15 team doesn't have to be better than 10&12 because no team this year is that good ...We just have to be better than everyone this year and i think we are....
Originally posted by dadecodevil:
This all makes for great conversation, but the fact is, until they actually play, this is all white noise. Who in NC really cares how good Kentucky is until we play them? I think they are a very good team, in a below average conference. I also think this team is nowhere as good as the 2010 team with Wall and the championship team with Davis. But what does that matter? The media and Cal has pumped their invincibility campaign, its now March. Either live it, or talk amongst yourselves.

Hey zoid, good post. My comment was for the fella who made it sound like UK was undefeated and nobody has come close . Actually some pretty crappy teams have come close . That's why we feel we have a chance . Everybody here knows U K is really good. But we aren't going to hang around here, at our board and not post confidently about the matchup.

Everything here is useless speculation. I didn't realize that anyone had determined that UK and Duke were going to play each other thought I hope they do because it will likely mean we made it to the Championship game. We all know it would be a great matchup with as much hype as any game in a long time. I am not a basketball mathematician or whatever you call those folks who make the odds but I would think the odds are much greater for no matchup between the two that an actual game between the two. We don't even know who the actual players would be because of potential injuries to either team.

ofc

Originally posted by stoneycat_20:
UK gets up and plays well for big name teams,ask KU,UCLA,Tex,UNC,UL,Ark...See the trouble Duke had with the UNC bigs? Kentucky has bigger ,better and more bigs than UNC ..Anyway,I think you'll get your wish.Duke will be our 2 seed with a loss to UNC and one more in the ACCT
God I hope we get them in the tourney.
You mean in the game where Jah sprained his ankle, went to the locker room, came back, and played the rest of the game hobbling around, but still managed to get a double-double? Then spent the next week in an air-cast and sat out the next game b/c the injury was worse than they thought? That game? The same game that Duke won?

The blueprint to beat KY is not a big secret. Spread the floor, make their bigs play on the perimeter and then drive and/or dish for an open 3. Wait for the the Twins to start forcing it and then wait for their emotions to get the best of them when they don't get the call everytime someone looks at them or has the audacity to break wind in their general direction. Combine that with an actual top 5 opponent that won't fold under pressure, in fact thrives under pressure like this year's Duke team has, and you have a recipe for a victory. Is it guaranteed? No, but nothing is; including KY going undefeated outside of SEC play.

The best competition KY has faced this year is an overrated KU team in the second game of the season. UL and UNC also appear to be bipolar teams at best. Texas is crap. UCLA is craptastic.

Kentucky got hammered on the boards by UNCheat and Meeks and Johnson shot just shy of 50% from the floor against them. I beleive that renders the whole argument about The "trouble" we had with them moot. Since clearly Kentucky had "trouble" with them.

The UNC game we were up 15 at half won by 14 i dont see how we got killed in any area, ya we got outboarded by what 6 but also shot 57% from the field and had 12 blocks.

Im not knocking Duke i think you have a GREAT coach and a really good team this year probably the 2nd or 3rd best in the nation. Look at is this way no biased but if you traded rosters with us im sure you would be super confident in your teams ability to win 6 in a row and cut down the nets.

We cant help what other teams do as far as when their ranked in Dec till now but when we played them we beat them thats all we can do. Cant help it the SEC so called sucks this year either but we dont and proved it many times this season. I dont see how a league sucks when 6 teams will qualify to compete for the national title anyway and one being the favorite to win it. The rankings will be thrown out the door after next week anyway. Its our team vs the other team on that given night. I said before the season we would go 29-2 in reg season so in no way do i think were unbeatable or would go undeafeted but the last part is true so far and im not gonna complain.

I didnt mean to sound like a ahole in my last post i was just saying whats on the minds of most of the people i know when talking about a UK/Duke matchup. Good luck the rest of the year unless you meet us lol.

^ I don't have an issue with your confidence. UK players and fans should be confident. And you're right....you can only beat the teams in front of you. You've done that every single time.

I do disagree about the SEC though. It's not very good, IMO. And while UK was an 8-seed last year I think everyone knew you were much better than that, it just took a little longer for it to all come together. This year it would be a surprise if a team besides UK from the SEC made the Sweet 16. Not out of the question....but a surprise. Like I said, I think the SEC is riding their history more than their strength....and that's fine. Trust me, the ACC was fortunate to do the same thing for a few seasons.

Couple of things:

First admittedly UK fan.

Secondly, about 40/60 on another team from SEC gets to the sweet sixteen. Wouldn't really be surprised if they do, but also conversely the same is true.

As a Power 5 conference this year, SEC is mediocre. We will get six teams or so in, most besides us will be between a 5 to an 11 seed. Which of course means we have played tournament competition in the SEC just not top end competition.

We play up and sadly often times down as well. Conference roads games are not always pie, and we tend to let admittedly some weaker teams hang around longer then we should. Conversely we have played better against ranked teams vs those who aren't.

As for tournament time, there are a couple of teams most Wildcat fans I have talked to have kept our eyes on as REAL threats. Those being: Duke, Wisky, Virginia at the top end and to a much lesser degree Arizona and Villanova. Almost EVERY Cat fan I have talked to would be more then happy to see Gonzaga as our 2 seed.

If our O is on that day we like our chances against anyone. On an average day the first three are going to make real games of it. If our O is just off we know it could very well be a loss. An average offensive game by us with an average Defensive game, we honestly believe would beat the whole field except for the top eight or so.

Your team can play phenomenally offensively when they want to, in all honestly probably better offensively then any team we have played this year by a large margin, adversely though your team is no defensive juggernaut. We haven't played against an offense like yours, while you have played versus Virginia, while style is very different, defensive efficiency are very similar.

I think if we played most of those first three teams we would be somewhere between 60-70 % odds on favorites in our minds to win it, but as I have said I am admittedly biased to my Cats. The thirty to forty percent is why we play the games is why we play the games and we all know upsets happen. If we see each other it wont be until the elite eight with some horribly unfortunate seeding (you would probably have to lose the ACC tournament) the final four or the championship game.

You have to take the forums many times for what they are a select group of any teams fan base. We have more then our fair share of idiots and more then our share who think we are just unbeatable. In reality the average UK fan believes we are really good, have a chance at being historically great, and know they are threats and obstacles still before us. We are more then a little anxious and nervous but enjoying the ride none the less (I mean who wouldn't an undefeated regular season).

Anyway best of luck, hope your team stays away from injuries and I wont be horribly sad if we don't play each other, but if we do, may it be for the championship and let the chips fall where they may.

Later Blue Devils, Go handle your business and we are going to try to go handle ours.

PS: For the TLDR peep I understand.
wink.r191677.gif

Crank_it_loud posted on 3/4/2015...

They play like that, Duke beats them by 10-15. Ga missed plenty of wide-open looks in the first half and made numerous bonehead turnovers. They did, however, expose what will beat UK.

Duke plays like they did against Miami and UK beats you by 40, see how that works. You got embarrassed at home, be careful what you wish for.

Originally posted by Corbin:

Duke plays like they did against Miami and UK beats you by 40, see how that works. You got embarrassed at home, be careful what you wish for.
First, this isn't your board clown, so no that isn't "how it works" you're not going to get snarky with Duke fans. Second, Crank_it_loud can say whatever he wants about UK here, if you don't like it leave.

This post was edited on 3/11 7:05 AM by mbdfan

Originally posted by mbdfan:

Originally posted by Corbin:

First, this isn't your board clown, so no that isn't "how it works" you're not going to get snarky with Duke fans. Second, Crank_it_loud can say whatever he wants about UK here, if you don't like it leave.

This post was edited on 3/11 7:05 AM by mbdfan
Who are you? Sorry if the truth hurts clown, since you like to call people names. Real nice board you run here, have be a Duke sunshine pumper to post. Our boards are much more friendly to guests but if you want to run a Nazi like operation have at it. My guess is you just can't deal with the truth so you get defensive and go on the attack, very immature. Hey though have a great day and try not to lose to Mercer in the first round this year.

Lol because Duke has changed 2 vital parts since the Miami game. UK? Playing the same (and supposedly getting better) all while struggling with Georgia. UK isn't invincible and their weaknesses are hidden by a soft SEC. It's all good. Their first real tests are coming.

And dude, this is a Duke board. Don't try to insult people when you're the one coming here to try and offset some form of insecurity....

Lol because Duke has changed 2 vital parts since the Miami game. UK? Playing the same (and supposedly getting better) all while struggling with Georgia. UK isn't invincible and their weaknesses are hidden by a soft SEC. It's all good. Their first real tests are coming.
Georgia is better than Virginia tech(OT), Florida State, and Georgia Tech, which Duke has struggled to beat recently, but don't let the facts get in the way. First real challenge, I guess thumping UNC, Kansas, Providence, Texas, U of L etc doesn't count. You guys really should fact check before you make statements that make you look silly. When UK plays a bad game it ends in a close win, when Duke is off they get spanked by Miami and NC ST big difference. If you want to compare weaknesses I'd be glad to but get me a more worthy adversary to discuss it with. Have a great day and do some home work for next time. Bye now.

Oh and your boy threw out the insult, I guess that makes him the insecure one, heh?

This post was edited on 3/11 9:29 AM by Corbin

Kentucky does not have a shooter as lethal as Angel Rodriguez, Trevor Lacy or Ralston Turner. Those guards burned us, your guys are good players, but not the shooters those guys are. Other than Kentucky, the Sec is a joke in basketball. Clemson has three wins against the SEC for god's sake! That being said, selection sunday is close and we will all know the road to Indy. Nobody here gives a dam about Kentucky. We are Duke fans. We care about UNC, NC State, Virginia...etc. good luck to your squad, and lets agree to talk when we actually play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT