ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA going after Bennett

I wouldn't leave what he has created at UVA for anything...but UCLA does have a certain aura about it...

Reactions: GillJET
He used to coach on the West coast! It’s an interesting timing tho. He could be using this to get more money but you wonder if this becomes a distraction to his team.

If he hasn’t said NO, that means he’s interested or using it as leverage to get more money from UVA.

Reactions: dukehokie
If Bennett took another job while his team is top 5 in the nation, then he is not the man we all think he is.

"He hasn't said no" could mean a lot of things. Such as, let me see what the UVA board of trustees are willing to give me to make this my last job.

who in their right mind would want to live in LA.

Uhhh... not sure if you are serious, but the Los Angeles area has a lot going for it. Culture, food, weather, entertainment, access to a huge variety of nature, no damn mosquitos... if it wasn’t for the earthquakes and maybe the traffic I’d totally be up for it.

Can get better recruits out there that’s for sure. But I’d stay at Virginia.

I think UCLA "could" be a much higher profile job, IF you are successful, but I would be surprised that they would want his playing style out there. I would have thought they would rather have a more up tempo game. A win is a win, but some are much more entertaining to watch than others

Reactions: GillJET
I think UCLA "could" be a much higher profile job, IF you are successful, but I would be surprised that they would want his playing style out there. I would have thought they would rather have a more up tempo game. A win is a win, but some are much more entertaining to watch than others

Funny you say that. UCLA played the slow down game with Ben Howland and despite 3 straight Final Fours, they couldn’t wait to get rid of him. Alford came in and got them scoring again with a less successful team and they were happy until this season.

The PAC 12 is a dumpster fire for the foreseeable future. He could go there and be the king of a mediocre conference I guess.

Reactions: DukefanKY
With the way the PAC-12 is set up now - talent wise - he would own that conference, on par with, the way Wooden did when he was the Wizard of Westwood!
Arizona has the number 1 recruiting class next year, USC has a top 5 class, and Washington is setting themselves up nicely as well. Not sure they’ll be down that long.

I told UVA fans a couple years ago it was only a matter of time before ya boy Tony packs his bags. Have any of y’all been to Charlottesville? It’s a dump. Combine that with recruits not wanting to come. He’s going somewhere.

Just asking the question, IF Bennett DID come to Duke, how many of you would be ok with that style of play?
Wouldn’t be exactly the same style of play. And even if it was I’m still good with it.

People act like he chooses to play the way he does. He plays the way he does because it’s what he’s got to play with. (Imo) If ya get that.

Reactions: dukesince91
He could adapt well with top recruits. He couldnt. I guarantee you we will find out sometime though! He’s going somewhere!

The one and done is soon to be over too. Think that benefits Tony.

Arizona has the number 1 recruiting class next year, USC has a top 5 class, and Washington is setting themselves up nicely as well. Not sure they’ll be down that long.
Anybody remember 2007 when USC had a top 5 class and finished outside the top 25 with a #6 seed in the tourney? I believe that's the last top 5 class they've landed.

Reactions: jojozbludevilz
I like to view the UCLA message board as I kind of like them and I can definitely say they wanted Alford gone long before this year or last. The last straw was when he only made the Sweet 16 with Lonzo Ball and company. It was amusing to see them praising the new coach when he won his first 3 and the way they turned on him after. But it's still a great job and probably intrigues Bennett. He may be getting tired of hearing about early tournament exits who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT