ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers in.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
We discuss every now and then about the transfers that leave Duke but we have had a few transfer into our program that made us better. There are quite a few
I feel. I can remember several and I'll not attempt to name them all. This will be good to have some of the OFC go back in time and name some. That's we're I will start. Bob Bender transferred in from Indiana and John Harrell I think from N.C. Central. Both actually played at Duke for Bill Foster's and our program. Need a little help on this one. George Moses. I know he spent some time in the military before coming to Duke but not sure about transferring in. OFC

Last edited:
Had not heard about Moses in years. Was he a small forward?
Hope we get 1 more guard for next year.

Reactions: skysdad
Had not heard about Moses in years. Was he a small forward?
Hope we get 1 more guard for next year.

I would call him a big forward. He was about 6'6" and was a big time rebounder. He played with Willie Hodge. OFC

What about the guy from Rutgers with bad knees?

What about the guy from Rutgers with bad knees?

How soon we forget. I am having a senior moment I can’t even remember his name. I think you mean the guy from Rice who eventually ended up at Maryland. Never played at Rutgers.

Sorry I’m on some pain meds and can’t think straight lol.

George Moses teammate: David O’Connell, father of Alex O’Connell. David was a top 50 recruit out of Cincinnati. His career was pretty much derailed by injuries.

George Moses teammate: David O’Connell, father of Alex O’Connell. David was a top 50 recruit out of Cincinnati. His career was pretty much derailed by injuries.

I knew you would come through dukeman. Jim L. Sumner could probably name them all . OFC

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Dahntay came from Rutgers. Miles Plumlee sort of. He never played for Stanford, but came our way after they canned their coach. Dont know if he enrolled there or attended any classes.

We have lots of transfers out no doubt but I didnt realize how many we've had transfer in. We keep going and they may come close to evening out. OFC

Dahntay came from Rutgers. Miles Plumlee sort of. He never played for Stanford, but came our way after they canned their coach. Dont know if he enrolled there or attended any classes.

Miles never enrolled at Stanford. He signed there, but was given his release after Trent Johnson was canned. Ironically, Johnny Dawkins was Johnson’s replacement.

Ed Koffenberger was transferred from UNC to Duke by the Navy, after he entered the Naval officers program.

McCleod was always a very underrated player in my opinion. Loved watching him play and remember that was a huge deal for him to be the first transfer in.

With the exception of Obi, K has a great track record with being selective with transfers.

Would Felix have counted as a transfer?

McCleod was always a very underrated player in my opinion. Loved watching him play and remember that was a huge deal for him to be the first transfer in.

With the exception of Obi, K has a great track record with being selective with transfers.

Would Felix have counted as a transfer?

No. He’s considered a junior college recruit, which would have been K’s first. He went the JUCO route and enrolled at Southern Idaho (or something like that), although I think because of injuries he could have played another year in Idaho.

And @dbav...That’s a name and an individual I haven’t thought about in a very long time. I know he had a cup of coffee in the League, but I’m not sure where he’s at now. Good career at ASU, as I recall, too.

I might consider taking Tres Tinkle of Oregon State as a grad transfer. Not that he'd ever leave his dad's program, but I'd probably take him.

No. He’s considered a junior college recruit, which would have been K’s first. He went the JUCO route and enrolled at Southern Idaho (or something like that), although I think because of injuries he could have played another year in Idaho.

And @dbav...That’s a name and an individual I haven’t thought about in a very long time. I know he had a cup of coffee in the League, but I’m not sure where he’s at now. Good career at ASU, as I recall, too.

As I recall, he was the first potential recruiting contribution of Nate James. I recall that happening within weeks or months of him joining the staff. And that extra year of eligibility is what got him in through the academic requirements.

Last edited:

He was a recruit in case Kyle Singler went pro. Once Kyle announced he was coming back Felix went to ASU.

Reactions: dukehokie
Is his name really Tinkle?

Haha, yes. I'm sure he gets heckled relentlessly for that. But if it's any consolation, his sisters are frequently at the games - and the TV seems to zone in on them every game for some reason.

tinkle-sisters.jpg

Haha, yes. I'm sure he gets heckled relentlessly for that. But if it's any consolation, his sisters are frequently at the games - and the TV seems to zone in on them every game for some reason.

tinkle-sisters.jpg
If they would be st the games, then I say bring him on.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Miles never enrolled at Stanford. He signed there, but was given his release after Trent Johnson was canned. Ironically, Johnny Dawkins was Johnson’s replacement.
I thought the story with Miles was that he had verbally committed to Stanford but once Mason committed to Duke then Miles verbally decommitted from Stanford and committed to Duke. I didn’t know that he decommitted from Stanford because the coach was fired.

Duke didn't really go after Miles early on. Pretty sure he didn't have a scholarship offer from Duke before Trent Johnson bolted. Johnson willingly left Stanford, btw. Stanford made the Sweet 16 back in 2008 (Lopez twins). But I'm sure Duke started to notice him a bit when they started recruiting Mason. They had to have some interest - I have a very reliable source that Coach K told David Gaines, the Christ School Coach, that "They were both future NBA players."

Kind of interesting turn of events. Joe Alleva, the former Duke AD, leaves the university in favor of LSU. Alleva then hires Trent Johnson from Stanford, who turns around and hires Johnny Dawkins from Duke, which snagged Plumlee away from Stanford.

I thought the story with Miles was that he had verbally committed to Stanford but once Mason committed to Duke then Miles verbally decommitted from Stanford and committed to Duke. I didn’t know that he decommitted from Stanford because the coach was fired.

Duke didn't really go after Miles early on. Pretty sure he didn't have a scholarship offer from Duke before Trent Johnson bolted. Johnson willingly left Stanford, btw. Stanford made the Sweet 16 back in 2008 (Lopez twins). But I'm sure Duke started to notice him a bit when they started recruiting Mason. They had to have some interest - I have a very reliable source that Coach K told David Gaines, the Christ School Coach, that "They were both future NBA players."

Kind of interesting turn of events. Joe Alleva, the former Duke AD, leaves the university in favor of LSU. Alleva then hires Trent Johnson from Stanford, who turns around and hires Johnny Dawkins from Duke, which snagged Plumlee away from Stanford.

I completely forgot that Trent Johnson left Stanford. My bad.

But, yes, Miles did sign in the fall of his senior season with Stanford. When Johnson left, Plumlee asked out of his scholarship. Mason, still a junior, had committed to Duke earlier....and obviously during that time a rapport was built with Miles, too. Also, Miles was considered a bit of a late bloomer. He was just a 3-star recruit when his whole process got started. Miles wasted little time committing to Duke after he was released from his LOI.

One last thing....K initially took a lot of heat from some opposing fans when Miles made the choice to come to Duke. They felt he swooped in and stole him from his favorite pupil, Johnny Dawkins. The truth is, Miles had no intent of ever playing for someone other than Trent Johnson at Stanford.

Is his name really Tinkle?

Trust me if you met his dad you would say Mr. Tinkle. He is 6ft 10. Met his wife Lisa at Montana. She scored 1470 pts and grabbed 830 boards as 6 ft 2 inch player .
He scored 1500 Pts w 836 rebounds. One daughter played pro ball and the other played for Zags.

George Moses went to San Jacinto JC for two years after a career as a paratrooper. A 6-4 power forward. Great rebounder, good defender, couldn't shoot a lick.

Off the top of my head, the only Vic Bubas transfer in that I can recall is Larry Saunders, a power forward who transferred from Northwestern. Played 1970 and 1971, for Bucky Waters.

Somebody mentioned Ed Koffenberger upthread. WWII. He was in the Navy officer-training program at UNC. Told the powers-that-be that he wanted to be an engineer. UNC did not have an engineering program, NC State was Army. So, in a matter of days, Koffenberger was at Duke. Starred not only in hoops but also lacrosse. The war was over by the time he finished his degree and he moved back to Delaware and worked as an engineer for Dupont for many years.

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT