ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

Mommas boy is offensive? 😳. Last time I checked it was a description of one who is close with their mother, and tends to be pretty common when said male doesn’t have a father in their life.
It can be endearing or offensive. With regard to the latter, here’s one definition from Urban Dictionary.

“A male who is overly dependent on their mom into adult hood. This can lead to things such as a grown man letting his mom make decisions for him despite the fact he's old enough to make decisions for himself. He also lets his mom order him around with no disapproval. This can have a bad effect on relationships and can be the driving force to breaking up as his girlfriend can grow tired of him letting his mother control his life. This type of momma's boy tends to be looked down upon by society.”

It can be endearing or offensive. With regard to the latter, here’s one definition from Urban Dictionary.

“A male who is overly dependent on their mom into adult hood. This can lead to things such as a grown man letting his mom make decisions for him despite the fact he's old enough to make decisions for himself. He also lets his mom order him around with no disapproval. This can have a bad effect on relationships and can be the driving force to breaking up as his girlfriend can grow tired of him letting his mother control his life. This type of momma's boy tends to be looked down upon by society.”
It’s hard for me to take Urban Dictionary seriously however lol.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
All of this convo and clarity is great. I just hope no one is selling our players a dream like Chris Ledlam. His situation is not unusual. He's a grad transfer, so he has options. Prayerfully, no one gets in our players heads and tell them the grass is greener!

The definition I found was of a male who has an unhealthy dependence on his mother well into adulthood and who lacks independence and self-reliance. Usage of the term started in the early 1900's. OFC

Reactions: christophero
The term "momma's boy" was very derogatory when I was growing up. It's been a long time since I was growing up. But I do not think the fundamental nature of the term has changed. I've never heard or seen it used as a compliment.

Here's what Merriam-Webster says.

"a usually polite or timid boy or man who is extremely or excessively close to and solicitous of his mother."

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
It implied to me growing up that you were a little sheltered, perhaps not well adjusted socially. Like run home and cry to momma kind of thing. Maybe your mother was overprotective of you or spoiled you. I had it said to me; and it wasn't a compliment. I got homesick at summer camp. I got homesick when I went away to college; even though it was less than 2 hours away. I adjusted to college; but it took a while.

Last edited:
The term "momma's boy" was very derogatory when I was growing up. It's been a long time since I was growing up. But I do not think the fundamental nature of the term has changed. I've never heard or seen it used as a compliment.

Here's what Merriam-Webster says.

"a usually polite or timid boy or man who is extremely or excessively close to and solicitous of his mother."
Well your example is n=1.

Not true !! I’m a momma’s boy and far from that ! I always took it as one who loved their mother and was always there when needed.
It’s crazy how if someone doesn’t like a bland label like this it’s automatically an insult. We are incredibly soft. I grew up an a really rough area and mamas boy wasn’t an insult, as there were much worse things you went with that I can’t type here.

Reactions: sheyduke
Loving your mom and being good to her doesn't make you a mamma's boy; just a good son. I guess it depends how it is used.

I’m not going to debate this any further. I find it very interesting that mama’s boy is an insult. Maybe it was in the older generation, suburban two-parent households? Regardless it’s certainly not offensive to many boys of single mothers. Cheers!

Reactions: sheyduke
This thread has completely went sideways. Talking about being a mamas boy. Sheesh.

It can be meant as a compliment or an insult. Depending on the situation of the kid/young adult.

This isn’t rocket science.

It implied to me growing up that you were a little sheltered, perhaps not well adjusted socially. Like run home and cry to momma kind of thing. Maybe your mother was overprotective of you or spoiled you. I had it said to me; and it wasn't a compliment. I got homesick at summer camp. I got homesick when I went away to college; even though it was less than 2 hours away. I adjusted to college; but it took a while.
Are you sure it was homesick or just too many hotdogs. We will never know the truth :)

On another side note that doesn’t strictly relate to Duke basketball (tune out now or press that ignore button @Devilinside ), Kentucky went 4-0 and won the GloblJam. It’s a little concerning as Baylor got smoked in that tournament last year. Reeves played like a beast and they did it without their two Centers in Bradshaw and Ugonna Onyenso.

They may be a tougher out than I thought they would be when they lost so many guys to the draft and portal.

On another side note that doesn’t strictly relate to Duke basketball (tune out now or press that ignore button @Devilinside ), Kentucky went 4-0 and won the GloblJam. It’s a little concerning as Baylor got smoked in that tournament last year. Reeves played like a beast and they did it without their two Centers in Bradshaw and Ugonna Onyenso.

They may be a tougher out than I thought they would be when they lost so many guys to the draft and portal.
Thanks for the thoughtful warning. I took your kind advice. Thanks. Let me know if I missed anything Duke or transfer portal related . OFC

Apparently some of saying this could be the best Calipari team yet. Funny how fast they changed tunes.

Apparently some of saying this could be the best Calipari team yet. Funny how fast they changed tunes.
I’m by no means saying Kentucky will have one of their better teams under Cal. Only stating that they may actually be more than a team with 4-5 Freshman and a couple role players that they seemed to be as of a month ago.

Reactions: Fourteen44
I’m by no means saying Kentucky will have one of their better teams under Cal. Only stating that they may actually be more than a team with 4-5 Freshman and a couple role players that they seemed to be as of a month ago.
I think he means rupp rafters. That fan base goes from delusional with so much confidence, to full meltdown minute by minute.

Kentucky is not a threat to go to the final four. Way too young in a historically weak class. They will be calling for Cals head by Christmas for the 7th straight year.

Reactions: Fourteen44
I didn’t mean you, I meant what UK fans are saying. They’re def better than I thought though - they’re long.

Both of Kentucky centers had foot surgery and might not start the season. Plus we all know how foot surgery could linger, “Whitehead”. Also big guys and foot issue are not good combination. So right now they have T. Mitchell as their only big guy.

If they get Bradshaw back and at full strength they will be a tough out. But that is a big if. Wagner and Reeves looked good in the clips I saw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT