ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts so far

I like the willingness to pass the ball. There are no ball hogs out there. Guys are diving on the floor too.

I am not thrilled with the perimeter defense, but think it maybe tighter in closer contests.

I like the willingness to pass the ball. There are no ball hogs out there. Guys are diving on the floor too.

I am not thrilled with the perimeter defense, but think it maybe tighter in closer contests.

We actually played pretty good man to man defense. Offense was sloppy earlier. This was one of those games K was talking about when he said we would play zone against lesser teams. The zone defense on the perimeter had a lot of breakdowns

First, we are devastating on the fast break. Everyone can finish with authority. With our length, we should be able to get tons of deflections like so far, and that only means dunks galore.

Second, athletic. That’s part of the first one but we can just overwhelm with athleticism.

Third, this makes me think of the 99 team. Just comes in waves. Good luck America

We just seem to have a team, not a bunch of talent on the court at the same time. We will find out Tuesday night in Chicago. The body language appears to be to dominate.
As long as everyone plays for the name on the front of the jersey this team has the chance to be really special. There are no weak spots in the lineup, none, and hopefully the bench can relieve the starters and do their job.

I hope we can continue the rotation like this. I also like/love the way Bag and Carter can hit the 3 ball. I love the rebounding. I love Tre assists. Hell i love it all lol. My only concern is Bolden tho.

one thing I don't like, something I just saw on twitter. someone tweeted, "Jordan tucker has that I wonder how quickly I can transfer face on right now" and he liked the tweet. doesn't upset me that he may want to transfer, just coming out publicly and liking the tweet bothers me. hope he finds a way to be happy.

I agree about the free throws. Dukiejay was right last night about sooner or later it's gonna cost us a game. Need to work on that. OFC
Yea. We are gonna need to make them now. Got the number two team in the country coming up!

One other thing, we had 40 with a couple minutes left in the first half. Grayson hadn’t scored. That doesn’t happen the last two years

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Ok it's on with MSU. These 1st two were a piece of cake. Tuesday will give us a better feel of how good we are right now. Can' wait. OFC

Grayson playing great and looking like a real leader out there makes me so happy. And obviously Bagley isn’t human. But my biggest difference is Trevon. I mean 20 assists to one turnover?? That’s what they’ve been missing. Imagine having that last year!

Grayson playing great and looking like a real leader out there makes me so happy. And obviously Bagley isn’t human. But my biggest difference is Trevon. I mean 20 assists to one turnover?? That’s what they’ve been missing. Imagine having that last year!

And technically, the lone turnover was Javin’s fault....that is, if you really want to get picky.

Reactions: Duke937
Our help defense is great. It's an absolute day and night difference on defense vs the last 4 years. Trevon is starting to feel comfortable. That spells doom for opponents. His assists to turnover ratio is going to be phenomenal. Grayson is healthy, and smart/mature now. He's not forcing anything and he knows exactly what this team needs to hear on the floor and he conveys it. Gary is so damn smooth, and smart. His shot is billowy soft. Makes great decisions. Bagley is a freak of nature. The way he cleans up missed shots around the rim is amazing. His dunks look like he took off way to far back only to rip the net with a thunderous flush. We can only hope he learns to shoot a free throw, his only glaring weakness. And then, there's Wendell. This kid is tough. Great defender. Great shot blocker. He stays in that lane and has shed us of those 6 layups in a row runs we had to endure last season. He and Bags also pass to each other flawlessly. It's a beautiful thing to watch. Bolden has been under the weather but I think he'll save us at times. He's way better than last season. Javin and Alex are great when they come in, we don't seem to skip a beat. I hope this board doesn't go off the deep end if we drop one Tuesday night. It could happen and it won't hurt where we're going one bit. It will be a huge stage for four freshmen and their first challenge away from Cameron. At any rate, we've got one HELL of a team this year, it's gonna be fun ! GO DUKE !

Jordan is a 3-star prospect who is a freshman on one of the top teams in the country. He also came to Duke where he’s going to be handed nothing. If he’s seriously thinking that after two games then it’s probably best to just move on now.

This is where the recruiting becomes tricky. With the announcement of the 2018 class and the players currently on the roster, I am sure Jordan is trying to figure out where he fits in. Will he get playing time this year? Next year? What if 3 more top 10 commit for 2019....its hard for a player to be patient enough to "wait their turn" when its so uncertain. Getting an offer from Duke was probably a dream but it came with no promises and unfortunately if the wrong expectation was set...he should consider moving on ( caveat to say I dont really know his skill set)

one thing I don't like, something I just saw on twitter. someone tweeted, "Jordan tucker has that I wonder how quickly I can transfer face on right now" and he liked the tweet. doesn't upset me that he may want to transfer, just coming out publicly and liking the tweet bothers me. hope he finds a way to be happy.

Semi transferred at semester during the 2015 season
Olek transferred at semester during the 2010 season

So we're tracking well. He's behind O'Connell and White on the wing and Duke is bringing in Barrett and Reddish. He's not going to get much playing time. I thought he was going to be a better player but it's obvious he's not there.

Tucker looks lost sometimes when he is out there.... Came to Duke as a shooter but I just don't see him game fitting Duke at the moment. Hope he can figure it out soon... H

Likes: Literally everything about our offense. On defense, we have the potential to be a long, athletic, disruptive juggernaut on that end (hard to make any defensive assumptions until we play a real team.) Bagley is better than I even expected (and I expected him to be the #1 pick.) Ditto for Carter and Gary. Trevon seems to understand his role and how valuable he is to our team. Grayson is looking like a great leader. Javin has much improved. Bolden will contribute. Goldwire and O'Connell both look hungry for that 8th man role.

Dislikes: Nothing.
I know we have shot poor from the FT line. But were young and VERY ATHLETIC, so guess it was expected. Bagley is gonna live there and if he can shoot 70% on the year, that's a win for us. Carter has a GREAT LOOKING stroke. Trevon will be shaky all year from there. Grayson and Gary both could shoot 90% though (Quinn and Tyus-esque from the line.)

I would echo the sentiment about Duval. I know they were two inferior opponents, but 20 assists against 1 turnover is outstanding against anyone. He is really seeing the floor well and showing out as a distributor.

We're obviously extremely talented, but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm just a bit until after Tuesday night. Having said that, our exhibitions and two games thus far have been super fun to watch. We're going to be dangerous come March.

Bagley is going to win us more games than he's going to lose us, and I know it's only two games in, but I really hope he improves at the line. So far he's 2/9 (22%), and he's going to live his life there this year; K may have to get creative.

Last edited:
I don't think I have seen so much raw talent on one team. They are scary good. Bagley is man amongst boys. Grayson looks like JJ Reddick out there. Trevon looking like Kyrie. Then you have Carter-Elton Brand. As for Bolden, you have to remember he was really sick this week. That's why he didn't play much. Gary Trent is my fav player though. He is fearless. Biggest surprise, Alex O'Connell. This kid will be a beloved Duke player in a few years. They were comparing him to Dunleavy last night. As for Bagley I'm going out on a limb here and saying he is best talent I have ever seen at Duke. Christian Laetner was the best ever, but this kid is just special. Could you imagine him if he stayed 4 years. Obviously not happening but wow.

Yeah, not understanding the disappointment in Bolden. He’s coming off strep throat and wasn’t even expected to play yesterday so it was great to see him out there. He looked good in the exhibition games. Obviously it was against inferior competition, but he was doing what we need from him this season. He was active defensively and I don’t think it could be overemphasized how much of an asset it will be to bring in a fresh 7 footer that’s as athletic as him throughout the season. Our front line is going to be relentless. He’s not as offensively skilled as Bagley or Carter at this point in his career, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be a big contributor to this team.

Last edited:
Bolden was not even supposed to play Tuesday against MSU. Give the kid a break. I don't think either of those teams were bad teams. We just played really well. We should find out a lot Tuesday. If MSU wins, it only means they are very good.

Jordan is a 3-star prospect who is a freshman on one of the top teams in the country. He also came to Duke where he’s going to be handed nothing. If he’s seriously thinking that after two games then it’s probably best to just move on now.
I believe he’s a 4-star guy, and he had offers from Arizona, Kansas and Louisville. It doesn’t really change any thing though. Everything you’re saying is still 100% correct.

I believe he’s a 4-star guy, and he had offers from Arizona, Kansas and Louisville. It doesn’t really change any thing though. Everything you’re saying is still 100% correct.

It's simple though. If you're good enough K will play you. Right now he must not be ready.

Reactions: DukeDenver
A week ago many of us were pointing at Trevon's decision-making and control as the top concern regarding the starters. Of course it's only 2 games against overmatched opponents and of course his A:TO will come down, but there could have been a tendency to push, a blood-in-the-water frenzy against these teams, and there wasn't. He still played within himself and while he'll surely have some off games, there aren't any red flags to speak of right now.

If I had to make up a concern... Bags has been so dominant so quickly it could result in military-like deference that comes back to bite us when he has an off game. One thing that went right in '16 was that Grayson and BI were equals in assertiveness. Grayson can't be so selfless a teammate he forgets that his aggressiveness is good for the team.

The key to Duke's success lies with Grayson Allen. He should take at least 16 shots a game. The other part is the rest of them knowing and following his lead. We have so many good players. Duval has ran the point like a true point so far. Now we see how he handles the Bright Lights against a tough and talented team. The same goes for the other 3.

Okafor was so special in 15. He was so good, yet was a great teammate. That's what needs to be the case this season if we have title hopes. Talent wise we have it, put the heart with it and watch out. Follow Grayson boys.

If he wants to transfer let him... goldwire and O'Connell are proving lesser ranked people can get PT! And Javin is showing why u stick it out

If he wants to transfer let him... goldwire and O'Connell are proving lesser ranked people can get PT! And Javin is showing why u stick it out
To be fair, he might simply be frustrated and not thinking anout transferring. We are just going off of body language, which can be deceiving, especially for a teenager.

Reactions: dbav
He was down to Syracuse before Duke offered. If Goldwire and O'Connell are finding time young man find your confidence and show you belong. He knew what was infront of him and he knew who Duke was recruiting for next year. Nothing is handed to you but he needs the Goldwire and O'Connell approach.

Season is still young and like everyone else the MSU game will tell a lot about this team.

Reactions: DukeDenver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT