ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Moore?

AlanInNJ

Cameron Crazy
Feb 25, 2014
Not a bashing thread, please. I don't follow recruiting as much as many here, so I wasn't sure what to expect from him coming into the season. So far he has struggled except for a couple outings (IE Georgetown).

What do you guys think about his trajectory this year? How will he develop? What needs to happen?

Reactions: germantondevil
Not a bashing thread, please. I don't follow recruiting as much as many here, so I wasn't sure what to expect from him coming into the season. So far he has struggled except for a couple outings (IE Georgetown).

What do you guys think about his trajectory this year? How will he develop? What needs to happen?

I just think he's pressing a little. He knows like the rest of the team you have to take advantage of the time you are on the court. Hope he is mature to realize this, work on the things he needs to, stick around Duke another year and don't consider transferring. He really has a lot of upside and has a great basketball body. Not every top recruit that comes to Duke is a great freshman. We could start a newhile thread on thone players who had to give it some time and by the time they left Duke as a Dukie had a very produchive career. OFC

The best case scenario for Moore was to become a Winslow-type Swiss Army knife guy who can do a bit of everything. Moore has the body to do things Winslow did.
The problem is...Winslow was a top 10 recruit, and Moore was a mid 20’s borderline 4/5 star guy.

I think the game just needs to slow down for Moore. We have seen flashes, he was great when Georgetown pressed, so we know he knows how to break a press and be strong with the ball.

Oddly I’m not worried about Moore, I think by February he will be a guy we can trust for 30 minutes to provide amazing defense and create some offense. And if he isn’t that by February, maybe we see him at Duke again next year.

Unlike the other posters above me, I'm more concerned about Moore. Offensively, he's been a negative and essentially a black-hole. I'm concerned about his basketball IQ. His shot selection has been poor and even in the game against Georgetown, I was surprised to see many of those shots go in since many were bad shots.

Defensively, he's showed such little effort. This is the most concerning part. He doesn't actively fight over screens, he doesn't close our fast enough. Last night he almost gave up a loose ball because he slowly jogged to it when a MSU player ran for it. He plays like he has the flu. He just looks super tired with no effort.

Last night he almost gave up a loose ball because he slowly jogged to it when a MSU player ran for it.

Your other comments notwithstanding......I think I know the play you are mentioning, and if so, at the time he had 3 fouls and we were up double digits in the second half. So if that's the case I would consider that a smart basketball decision.

Clearly Coach K is hiding him on the bench so he will stay another year. Sound familiar?

Of course, considering he started last night, I guess that theory doesn't work.

10 days ago he was one of Duke's best players. I expect him to be one again.

He just turned 18 in September.

Freshmen can be inconsistent. Remember that 5-minute Matthew Hurt game?

Moore is too smart and too competitive and the Duke coaches are too good for this not to get fixed.

once he slows down and lets the game come to him he will be fine, i dont think he's a oad type player but who knows

I'm not concerned about Moore. We've been spoiled by the likes of Irving, Parker, Bagley, RJ, Zion, etc., and so look at every incoming freshman through those lenses which is unfair. Moore seems like your normal freshman to me; and that's not a bad thing.

The reality for him is that he is a 4 year guy, which would be a good thing for him. He has a good skill set but he is not great at anything. Hurt really needs to stay another year or 2 himself.

The thing about Moore is that he is going to get plenty of chances. He isn't an Alex or Joey who will get buried on the bench if his shot isn't falling or he misses one assignment. We've seen him dominate and we've seen him disappear. I expect his development trend to move further and further away from the latter as the season progresses.

Needs to work with Scheyer on avoiding charges / creating "fouling angle"s on drives.
Ball Handling has not been good. Was he the primary ball handler in HS? I would like to see him in the "3" role more than as a lead guard. like G. Henderson.
Turnovers are a disease on this tea and everyone is affected..that should improve with time / experience.
N.Smitty had some of the same issues - would be wise to work with him in sorting it out.

I think he will be a good 4 year player. Maybe not C. Carrawell like Danny Jockitch talks about all the time but maybe Demarcus Nelson-esque.

Reactions: tw3301
Outside of Jones he’s the one guy that can drive to the basket and break down a defense - not a set shooter.
Playing out of control right now but needs to get playing time and needs to get his game together. Will be a real key come March.

In the last five or six seasons we've had a number of players who weren't your typical kind of freshmen. When that happens, our brain starts to tell us that's the norm.

Well....guess what? This year we have more typical freshmen. And so far, Moore has played like a first-year player. We saw Matthew play five minutes in a game less than two weeks ago. We've watched Cassius go a woeful 1-for-14 in a game already. Even Vernon looked a little disorganized the first few games. Always remember K's line about allowing guys to run their own race.

The one thing I love about Moore and we’re gonna need at sometime....he is so strong and athletic that he can create a jump shot off the dribble whenever he wants. Now, that jumper has rarely gone in and it’s a pretty poor shot to shoot. But, other than Tre, we don’t got another guy who can at least get the ball on the rim when our offense does nothing for 25 seconds.
The Duke teams of the past few years have had plenty of guys who can do this.

Moore’s ability to create a jump shot with zero help is gonna really be useful in a game. This was the Gerald Henderson specialty.

I’m not worried about Moore unless he gets to a point where he contributes absolutely nothing and I don’t expect that to happen. Like others have said, it takes some players longer to adjust to the college game. It’ll come to him but it’ll probably take a little bit of time. He’s already averaging 6.7ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.8apg and 1spg. Those aren’t great stats but they’re decent stats considering we’re only 9 games into the season and it’s still only early December.

I like how different guys are stepping up. Really nice contribution from Goldwite and great contributions from Baker, Jack, Javin, ant Hurt. Only guys who didnt step up last night were Alex and Moore. I'll take some individual ups and downs if Baker, Hurt, Javin and Goldwire continue to trend up.

Reactions: dbav
The thing with Moore I think is he’s having to adapt to the the same physical play he’s used to dishing out. He’s having to guard players with his same size. He will be fine it’s just about adjusting with him.

He's young, he will experience ups and downs but he will get better. However currently every time he touches the ball I expect a turnover.

Well when K brings in kuminga it may force some players hand. Everybody knows K is going to recruit the best players every year. And if kuminga wants duke u better believe K will take him. Especially knowing the 2021 final 4 is in lucas oil stadium.

He's young, he will experience ups and downs but he will get better. However currently every time he touches the ball I expect a turnover.

Same here. Almost like Cam last year when he would either get stripped or draw a charge every time he drives into the lane.

Reactions: tw3301
I’m not too worried about him because he has all the ingredients to be really good.. he just has to put them all together at the same time consistently.

That was infuriating, thought he was shaving points some games.
While i don’t think he was shaving points it was definitely frustrating. He needs to learn a lot in the film room. Hoping he’s putting in the work there.

Moore was good enough to win a State Championship despite having the dead weight Leaky Black as a teammate. Moore was 21 of 23 from the FT line in the title game. Scared to shoot Leaky didn't crack double figures

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT