ADVERTISEMENT

Just some thoughts

Tony Bennett is a helluva nice guy with a National Championship. I don’t think being a nice guy excludes you from being a good or great coach. Have some patience, he’s coached 15 games & won 11 of them, the jury is still out, & may be for a while.
Tony doesn't invest heavily in OAD's heavily either. The one and done types(while generally good kids), require more prodding. Duke to some of these Mickey D's boys is just a necessary pitstop.A coach must ride roughshod at times to get said players to buy in to his system.

I agree with your assessment you can be a "nice guy" and win. However I think much of a coach's demeanor depends on the maturity level and ultimate aspirations of the players.

I think my patience is fine. I have followed Duke almost 60 years, and God will take a staunch Blue Devil follower when I die.BTW, I agree 11-4 is a decent ledger, but THE EFFORTS (or lack thereof) were inexcusable @ Wake & State.

OFC

Last edited:
Facts. When I lived in Durham, I coached both of Joe Alleva’s sons in baseball. He & I had a pretty good relationship (he got Jason Williams to sign a jersey for my nephew who was a big Duke fan) & I became privy to some pretty good info. He told me once when Duke was trailing Florida State at halftime (at home), K dropped 37 F bombs in the locker room at halftime. Apparently Joe was in there & counting. Everybody has their own style. Duke won the game btw.
I believe Steve Traylor was head baseball coach down there around that time. Now there was a great guy! Later coached at Wofford.

OFC

On the issue with K cursing at Paolo, and the team last season, he knew who he was talking to, and what kind of team he had. They could handle it, which made him the K many fans were used to. Some of his past antics are pure gold. Like when he told JJ after the 04 loss that he wasn't championship worthy, or kicking Laettner out of practice. In that podcast with JJ, I found it very telling that K said of the oad's, he felt Tatum, Zion, and Paolo unpacked their bags.

Just my opinion, but I think there were a couple teams that K felt handcuffed with. The 17-18 team being the biggest one.
Yeh Pai
Tony doesn't invest heavily in OAD's heavily either. The one and done types(while generally good kids), require more prodding. Duke to some of these Mickey D's boys is just a necessary pitstop.A coach must ride roughshod at times to get said players to buy in to his system.

I agree with your assessment you can be a "nice guy" and win. However I think much of a coach's demeanor depends on the maturity level and ultimate aspirations of the players.

I think my patience is fine. I have followed Duke almost 60 years, and God will take a staunch Blue Devil follower when I die.BTW, I agree 11-4 is a decent ledger, but THE EFFORTS (or lack thereof) were inexcusable @ Wake & State.

OFC
problem is hart we live in an era when if we’re told to do something damn it we’re supposed to do it. So we’re just supposed to take it and pretend like nothings wrong. We lose by 30 to nc st no big deal. Coach K once lost to a team by 20 in high school!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yeh Pai

problem is hart we live in an era when if we’re told to do something damn it we’re supposed to do it. So we’re just supposed to take it and pretend like nothings wrong. We lose by 30 to nc st no big deal. Coach K once lost to a team by 20 in high school!
KD I hear ya brother! OFC

Reactions: KDSTONE
Scheyer is getting killed in the national media. DBR is filled with "worst Duke performance I've ever seen" posts. Scheyer must know it's a big deal.

Scheyer is getting killed in the national media. DBR is filled with "worst Duke performance I've ever seen" posts. Scheyer must know it's a big deal.
I’m sure he does. He seems like a smart guy but what we’ve seen so far is a sh show. Does he learn from it? That’s the ? We act like he has been dealt a shitty hand of cards. Other than Carolina who would have traded hands with him at the beg of the yr?

Honestly our youth made me nervous. I wasn't as high on this team as some. I'd rather have one of those returning core teams like UNC or Gonzaga. Even though they have struggled, the pieces are all there. We have a lot of new parts, and a new coach.

Honestly our youth made me nervous. I wasn't as high on this team as some. I'd rather have one of those returning core teams like UNC or Gonzaga. Even though they have struggled, the pieces are all there. We have a lot of new parts, and a new coach.
I’d rather have the 92 team coming back than a bunch of tenth graders

K could say what ever he wanted last season. He knew it was his last . What they going to do fire him ? I remember K on the sideline many times during loses sitting in his chair with his arms crossed. We don’t know what Jon said after that beat down . No one knew what K said until the Paolo interview.
Jon can yell, cuss , pull gear, and really be stern doesn’t mean the team would respond any different .I count atleast five times Jon was looking at the bigs pleading for them to grab control on the ball and not one could do it .
Well, that is not the point. Of course Jon was begging the team to grab control of the ball. You did not want him to beg them to give it up, did you? The issue is why they could not or would not do it. That goes back to Jon, who should do more than just begging. Did not see a lot of changes to correct the problem, other than ineffective roster changes.

OFC

Well, that is not the point. Of course Jon was begging the team to grab control of the ball. You did not want him to beg them to give it up, did you? The issue is why they could not or would not do it. That goes back to Jon, who should do more than just begging. Did not see a lot of changes to correct the problem, other than ineffective roster changes.

OFC
What do you want him to do throw a chair ? Maybe kick the ball like bob knight ? in this day and age get real! Do you think this is ten years ago? For christ sakes a coach just resigned because the team went to admissions and said he was being to hard on them . What do you want him to do on National tv ? Seriously? Roster changes it’s his first year he literally put everyone on the bench in beside the walk on seven footer and Hubbard did it change the outcome ? No !

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
What do you want him to do throw a chair ? Maybe kick the ball like bob knight ? in this day and age get real! Do you think this is ten years ago? For christ sakes a coach just resigned because the team went to admissions and said he was being to hard on them . What do you want him to do on National tv ? Seriously? Roster changes it’s his first year he literally put everyone on the bench in beside the walk on seven footer and Hubbard did it change the outcome ? No !
I did not suggest that he do any of those things. The point is that the team seems to be uninspired and unsure of itself. I am not a coach, so I do not know what he should do to correct these characteristics. One would think that after 10 games there would be some semblance of improvement. Instead, it may be getting worse judging from the NC State debacle. I am ready to eat my words about Jon so far. I hope he gives me reason to do that.

OFC

There is a whole lot of middle ground between sitting there meekly and throwing a chair onto the court.

Pretty sure a lot was said behind close doors . The ability is there to be a good team but however all the coaching in the world from the greatest coaching minds isn’t going to help if you don’t believe it yourself . Lively , Proctor , Grandison, Flip , Mitchell and Whitehead have to do better .

Reactions: Devilinside
But it's the coaches job to get them to do better. Otherwise why have a coach? But I agree guys need to step up.
What’s not to say they are even listening to him ? Pretty sure Lively has been shown how to rebound yet he can’t handle half the ones he goes for . Pretty sure all of them have been shown how to pull up or pass the ball off when going into a double team yet two of our players seem to not understand it and are always committing turn overs. Pretty sure they’ve been shown how to move with out the ball yet they stand . I mean the mistakes we’re seeing especially against NC ST. Are things they worked on since grade school . Pretty sure every coach has worked on it with them yet they still can’t seem to grasp it .

If the players aren't listening to Jon, that's not good. And he recruited everyone but Roach and Blakes.

That don’t mean they aren’t hearing what the coaches are saying it means they can not get it to translate into games .
The players are listening. I believe that they believe in what Jon and the staff are communicating. The biggest problem is College Basketball have older players. There is no dominant player on this team. And even if we had one, he could not dominate the game. There is just too much experience out here!

Reactions: christophero
I'm a little surprised coach K said that last year. He probably doesn't care, but if that got out it could be damaging. At least if he was still coaching. Kind of hard to explain that to a parent. Or maybe he's just upfront and says look I'm gonna curse at your kid. A lot.
Just to clarify with this, he was referring to bad body language when he told them he "hated their f****** faces." I honestly don't even think it's bad, unless you just have a real problem with the f-word. If so, you may have a problem with college and pro sports in general.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Okay that makes sense in context. I just thought K was being nasty lol. I ran track in college and my coach yelled a lot. He didn't curse, but he yelled a lot.

Are you one of those selective morality Christians? (I'm just busting your chops I went to Catholic school)
Nah, I've used GD before; I just try not to say it. I believe in a higher power, and I also doubt my language bothers God. Just like I don't pray about sports. Because I doubt God cares about who wins a basketball game. I'll pray to the sports gods, though. Especially the football gods, who clearly hate my Raiders.

Same here, haha I am sort of a methodist. I grew up Southern Baptist; it's not for me. I can't handle the fire and brimstone shtick.
My parents left the Catholic church when I was in 8th grade and became Baptists. All good and all, but it was not my decision. I still consider myself Catholic. I went to Catholic grammar school and St. John's in college.

Last edited:
I personally expect him to show some passion and keep his butt off the bench. He did the second most of the BC game but I have not seen any of the first this season.

What’s not to say they are even listening to him ? Pretty sure Lively has been shown how to rebound yet he can’t handle half the ones he goes for . Pretty sure all of them have been shown how to pull up or pass the ball off when going into a double team yet two of our players seem to not understand it and are always committing turn overs. Pretty sure they’ve been shown how to move with out the ball yet they stand . I mean the mistakes we’re seeing especially against NC ST. Are things they worked on since grade school . Pretty sure every coach has worked on it with them yet they still can’t seem to grasp it .
Again, if they are not listening to Jon, then Jon's job is to do something to get them to listen. However, I do not think that the players are intentionally ignoring Jon. To me, this looks like a team which is extremely unsure of what to do during the game. They seem to be guessing as to what to do next. They know the fundamentals of rebounding, passing etc.; but they do not seem to know where other players are positioned when they have the ball. That is a system flaw. Shey, you will not be able to pusuade me that this is not a poorly coached team so far. It is NOT on the players. Hell, BC, which suffered from a huge talent gap against Duke, should have won the game after limiting us to a single basket during a 10 minute stretch in the second half. The only significant change made by Jon was to go to the zone in the second half. I think that change should have been made earlier, given that BC is the worst major college 3-point shooting team in the country. OFC

Last edited:
Was a fairly devout Catholic right up until the pediophile scandal came to light in 2013 and the Church initially tried to cover it up. No longer a Catholic. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
My parents left the Catholic church when I was in 8th grade and became Baptists. All good and all, but it was not my decision. I still consider myself Catholic. I went to Catholic grammar school and St. John's in college.
Pedophilia is not ok Chris

Reactions: Mac9192
I attend mass from time to time but I’m not a devoted Catholic . My Mother is southern Baptist . Freaked out the first time I attended service .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT