ADVERTISEMENT

The Carters

Also, Miles Plummee did the exact same thing when he was going through the draft process, almost verbatim. Prospects often talk about how they were used in college and how they can show their full potential in the league. I really don’t think this is a big deal whatsoever.

Yup, none of what Carter said is a big deal. Kid is a good representative for the Duke Basketball program. Of course, the posters on Rupp Heels and Tar Cats Radar will try to tell you differently and hope Carters comments are a shot at Duke. Keep wishing Tar Kittens and Wild Heels

Reactions: Tlass and Quavarius
Definitely does not look good for recruiting. Why would someone that had a hard decision leaving make these comments. His mother said she wanted him to come back to Duke.
Ditto! Thank you! This is why I think he was criticizing Duke!

I think it's time for some new threads. OFC

Sky your clothes are fine! Remember that Jim Lindsey episode in "Andy Griffith" where Barney describes a set of threads?? "Its a suit." JK of course buddy....

This is the kind of headline that gets folks attention, and I see no harm as long as posters don't get personal w/each other. I think Timo has handled it quite well.

OFC

Lol his styles not playing zone.either...if we ran the pick and roll with Duval, and I’m the defender, I’m going under it every time.....Again you’re not getting it . K did what he did because he had too! You want to blame something on K blame his recruiting . Wish Duval the best but he wasn’t as advertised and K had to adjust. Same with the D. end of story.

You clearly don’t understand the game. If the person go under the pick and roll while he’s attacking he would be ahead of them. That big man would have to hedge a little because if he didn’t then they would be beat every time

Reactions: Quavarius
Good thing there is the G league and over seas. This is all about money and I remember scouts break down of carter prior to the season and one knock on him was he tended to slide to the perimeter more then he should.

I don’t think it’s a knock or slight at Duke but he didn’t have to go to college( he wasn’t ever coming back and anyone who believes it was a hard decision to leave I’ve got land for sale in Bora Bora for a dollar an acre).

These kids just want the millions from the NBA rather then the fifty thousand in the g league or going over seas. They come to college for the exposure and to be seen by scouts. Not to mention the free strength and conditioning.

Call me when that quote hurts our recruiting. Don’t over think it. Have no problems with what he said. He basically said playing in college where there is a lack of spacing and playing with other really good players limits what you can show. He’s right And i don’t see it as a shot at Duke.

Ka Boom

Everybody that’s saying carter was held back... really? Is that why he’s a top 10 pick? The scouts know exactly what he can do. Look at the numbers bagley put up... and he’s projected as the 5 pick. Carter? The #8. There wasn’t anything that carter didn’t show to the scouts already. The only thing he didn’t show was the ability to be the #1 guy for a team yet he was the top scorer on more than a few occasions. Carter has shown he can shoot 3s, post up, rebound and play defense. The only reason a guys like jarren Jackson are ahead of guys like carter is potential. I don’t like that him and his mom are saying negative things about his year at duke. They don’t help his draft stock. It’s meaningless comments that just look awkward for the duke program

Reactions: pinecreek
We went to a zone because our man to man defense sucked. Carter is a decent athlete but not a great NBA athlete. He is an undersized center at 6’8 3/4 without shoes good wing span though at 7’4. Best case was Carter being 8 to 15 and that is where he going he shouldn’t be complaining.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Bringing in 4 OAD freshmen will always create some problems figuring out how to play. Carter got to do plenty on the team to showcase himself. This year will be the same. There is no good solution to having all these NBA guys stay for one year and expect them to be at top form. They are at Duke to win games for Duke, not audition for the NBA exclusively. Quit recruiting them if you want to have a team focused on winning in college.

Reactions: lkc1234
You clearly don’t understand the game. If the person go under the pick and roll while he’s attacking he would be ahead of them. That big man would have to hedge a little because if he didn’t then they would be beat every time
How? I just thought he’d be left open for a 3 ...lol I’m not fighting through the screen and I’m not switching or hedging . You don’t understand the game or what I’m saying . The whole point of going under is not getting beat off the dribble ...I’m lost...Even if he beat it he didn’t make good decisions with the ball untill the last few games and even then I was still holding my breath . He just never lived up to his hype and struggled. He was an aggressive defender and slasher. Nervously lol he did improve though. Sooooo I think he’ll be ok . Think hope

Last edited:
You're basically saying K didn’t know what he was doing and you do and I disagree . The end lol

If I remember correctly for a long time Trent led in 3 point percentage Acc...could be wrong . I disagree with (well) below shooting expectations . Now toward the end of the year Trent cooled . It’s not like teams were just leaving our shooters open either .

For around a month, he did lead the ACC in 3pt percentage. But only if you only included Conf games. If you included the non-conf games, his ranking plummeted. And he fell off down the stretch. Regardless, Trent wasn't the sniper we hoped for in the offseason.
And he was still our best option from 3.

Call me when that quote hurts our recruiting. Don’t over think it. Have no problems with what he said. He basically said playing in college where there is a lack of spacing and playing with other really good players limits what you can show. He’s right And i don’t see it as a shot at Duke.

Totes agree. She has a problem with NCAA hoops, not Duke.
And, she seems to like attention.

For around a month, he did lead the ACC in 3pt percentage. But only if you only included Conf games. If you included the non-conf games, his ranking plummeted. And he fell off down the stretch. Regardless, Trent wasn't the sniper we hoped for in the offseason.
And he was still our best option from 3.
I knew it was something like that I forgot .

You're basically saying K didn’t know what he was doing and you do and I disagree . The end lol

This is a little bit of JCDing and/or straw man type argument.
I think, and some others seem to agree, that K mishandled last year's roster wrt strategy and tactics.
Given our roster's talent, and our relatively poor season (distant second place finish in the regular season, poor showing in the ACCT, and failure to make the FF), there is an argument to be made that K didn't max out the potential of last year's group.
However, and I want to stress the following, THIS IS ALL IN HINDSIGHT.
Based on what we knew, or reasonably suspected, heading into the season, K's strategy was correct. If Allen and Trent had been the consistent 3pt threats the entire world expected, we'd have had much better results last year, and likely played in the national title game.
IMHO, K's biggest "weakness" likely stems from his military background. That weakness is stubbornness, and it is supported by his faith in upperclassmen. It was obvious that K expected Allen to flip a switch at some point and be the senior leader we needed. Letting Allen, who'd had a horrific game, take the last shot in the Elite 8 was stupid. Regardless, K's strategy to start the season was correct. If Allen and Trent are real threats from 3, it would have opened the court up. And putting the ball in Allen's hands more often seemed smart. If he'd been making more threes, he would have had more opportunities to drive and make plays. With defenders able to take an extra step back from both Allen and Trent, it just clogged our lane too much.
And, yes, we should have switched to a PnR based O. That was pretty obvious to us regular fans by late Feb, when it was probably too late to implement. But K, as a professional coach, should have realized that Allen and Trent weren't going to flip a switch, and that we need to emphasize the PnR. That, combined with a switch to Zone, probably results in Duke closing out Feb and March on an uptick, us getting a 1 seed, and meeting Nova in the title game. Maybe we win, maybe we don't. But I'd have liked our chances with Nova trying to guard a PnR with TD and our bigs. We could not have beaten Nova in the FF, because they were unconscious from 3. We could have beaten them based on their play in the title game.

This is a little bit of JCDing and/or straw man type argument.
I think, and some others seem to agree, that K mishandled last year's roster wrt strategy and tactics.
Given our roster's talent, and our relatively poor season (distant second place finish in the regular season, poor showing in the ACCT, and failure to make the FF), there is an argument to be made that K didn't max out the potential of last year's group.
However, and I want to stress the following, THIS IS ALL IN HINDSIGHT.
Based on what we knew, or reasonably suspected, heading into the season, K's strategy was correct. If Allen and Trent had been the consistent 3pt threats the entire world expected, we'd have had much better results last year, and likely played in the national title game.
IMHO, K's biggest "weakness" likely stems from his military background. That weakness is stubbornness, and it is supported by his faith in upperclassmen. It was obvious that K expected Allen to flip a switch at some point and be the senior leader we needed. Letting Allen, who'd had a horrific game, take the last shot in the Elite 8 was stupid. Regardless, K's strategy to start the season was correct. If Allen and Trent are real threats from 3, it would have opened the court up. And putting the ball in Allen's hands more often seemed smart. If he'd been making more threes, he would have had more opportunities to drive and make plays. With defenders able to take an extra step back from both Allen and Trent, it just clogged our lane too much.
And, yes, we should have switched to a PnR based O. That was pretty obvious to us regular fans by late Feb, when it was probably too late to implement. But K, as a professional coach, should have realized that Allen and Trent weren't going to flip a switch, and that we need to emphasize the PnR. That, combined with a switch to Zone, probably results in Duke closing out Feb and March on an uptick, us getting a 1 seed, and meeting Nova in the title game. Maybe we win, maybe we don't. But I'd have liked our chances with Nova trying to guard a PnR with TD and our bigs. We could not have beaten Nova in the FF, because they were unconscious from 3. We could have beaten them based on their play in the title game.
I’ll just say I agree K seems stubborn and I could pick on his (in game) adjustments. The rest? Meh lol. I just think the biggest problem was Duval. A lot of what we did was the result from that (imo). No I’m not just blaming him or liking to criticize him. K knows best in practice , and in games what level he was on, and what he could and couldn’t do . We agree to disagree. it’s a healthy respectable discussion is the main thing! Lol i could pick on recruiting ?? #1 :) You could say (maybe I’m wrong and forgot again) but we worked on denfese only in practice at a time ??

Last edited:
Swap Tyus for Duval, we run the P&R, and we win it all. Hahahaha anybody agree to that ?

This is dumb.
1. Check out Wendell’s Instagram story, he states “the media loves to distort the quotes that I give them.”
2. He was in NO WAY taking a shot at Duke or K.
3. He’s right. The NBA is a much higher skilled game, normally everyone on the floor can shoot from 25 feet out, and it allows for much more spacing.

Ask Jayson Tatum or Donovan Mitchell how fantastic the spacing is in the NBA, and how they get to attack an open lane.
The open spacing that the NBA provides should really help Duval most of anyone IMO, Wendell and Marvin should also see things easier than playing in the clogged 2-Big system that they played in at Duke.

This is dumb.
1. Check out Wendell’s Instagram story, he states “the media loves to distort the quotes that I give them.”
2. He was in NO WAY taking a shot at Duke or K.
3. He’s right. The NBA is a much higher skilled game, normally everyone on the floor can shoot from 25 feet out, and it allows for much more spacing.

I thought this was pretty plain to see.....but there's a lot of stupid people in this world. Plus, any ammunition, even the made up kind, against Duke goes a long ways for some people.

How? I just thought he’d be left open for a 3 ...lol I’m not fighting through the screen and I’m not switching or hedging . You don’t understand the game or what I’m saying . The whole point of going under is not getting beat off the dribble ...I’m lost...Even if he beat it he didn’t make good decisions with the ball untill the last few games and even then I was still holding my breath . He just never lived up to his hype and struggled. He was an aggressive defender and slasher. Nervously lol he did improve though. Sooooo I think he’ll be ok . Think hope

Coach K didn’t utilize Tre Duval the correct way at all. He did him a disservice but having him just stand on the perimeter. We all saw what happened in the tournament when he was finally let loose. He’s a penetrator that wants to facilitate. He was 20xs better than our other point guard options

Reactions: PatrickYates
Coach K didn’t utilize Tre Duval the correct way at all. He did him a disservice but having him just stand on the perimeter. We all saw what happened in the tournament when he was finally let loose. He’s a penetrator that wants to facilitate. He was 20xs better than our other point guard options
When he was finally let loose? How about when he finally had a decent game . If he was 20x better then (our other pg) lol then why in the hell did he lose the job in the first place?! You really need to get it through your head that K knows what he’s doing and Duval was not that good. There’s a difference in what he is and how good he is at that..... I’m done. I’m not getting into how bad he was . He’ll get drafted on potential . Blame K I don’t care . 5 time . I’ll trust him...not couch coaches ...got me angry ...lol I guess K held him back from the FT line too.. ok that’s taking a shot ..sorry lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: QC Dukie
When he was finally let loose? How about when he finally had a decent game . If he was 20x better then (our other pg) lol then why in the hell did he lose the job in the first place?! You really need to get it through your head that K knows what he’s doing and Duval was not that good. There’s a difference in what he is and how good he is at that..... I’m done. I’m not getting into how bad he was . He’ll get drafted on potential . Blame K I don’t care . 5 time . I’ll trust him...not couch coaches ...got me angry ...lol
I actually think you're wrong here. Duval was fine, our system was suited terribly for him to play in.
Did he live up to the billing of the best PG in the country and the #3 overall recruit in the country? No, but a lot of that was due to his supporting cast and the system he played in.
Duval was PERFECT for a straight pick-n-roll offense that relentlessly attacks a defense, see the Miami offense under Larraeneuga. He was definitely not suited for our "play through the bigs, surround the bigs with shooters" offense. Plus having 2 bigs made it even harder for him to get into the lane (2 ELITE bigs, our "problems" would have been riches for just about any other program).
Go watch the Duke UNC 2nd half in Cameron...K finally let Duval loose, ALL WE RAN THAT SECOND HALF WAS DUVAL HIGH-SCREEN PICK AND ROLL, and he destroyed them, endless dunks and lobs to the bigs.

Not to mention...Duval was possibly our best overall player in the NCAA tournament. I will EVERY TIME settle for a guy who goes through his struggles in January if he at his best in the tournament, and Duval was just that.

Man , this board can twist a quote within an inch of its life lately, it's gotten almost comical.
Reminds me of lebron . Hey I said I’m looking to deeply and he wasn’t trying to criticize duke . Hahaha

I actually think you're wrong here. Duval was fine, our system was suited terribly for him to play in.
Did he live up to the billing of the best PG in the country and the #3 overall recruit in the country? No, but a lot of that was due to his supporting cast and the system he played in.
Duval was PERFECT for a straight pick-n-roll offense that relentlessly attacks a defense, see the Miami offense under Larraeneuga. He was definitely not suited for our "play through the bigs, surround the bigs with shooters" offense. Plus having 2 bigs made it even harder for him to get into the lane (2 ELITE bigs, our "problems" would have been riches for just about any other program).
Go watch the Duke UNC 2nd half in Cameron...K finally let Duval loose, ALL WE RAN THAT SECOND HALF WAS DUVAL HIGH-SCREEN PICK AND ROLL, and he destroyed them, endless dunks and lobs to the bigs.

Not to mention...Duval was possibly our best overall player in the NCAA tournament. I will EVERY TIME settle for a guy who goes through his struggles in January if he at his best in the tournament, and Duval was just that.
Well if I’m wrong then Ks wrong . I can live with that . I disagree, he was the #3 recruit . I just don’t have it in me to blame K sorry.. We’ll find out if K held him back . If he goes off his rookie season that’s all you’ll hear. Lmao . I’m still rooting for him .

Wasn't Carter seriously contemplating returning? That's why I didn't take that piece as a negative. It is what it is in college basketball.

I suspect when K recruited him, he was telling him his role (every player wants to know how the coach sees them being used). And, I think that's how K used him. Carter is a low post player, with a good turn around, and a very good rebounder.

The problem for Carter was that after he signed on, late in the game, Bagley showed up and he had all kinds of talent and just outshined Carter.

But, I thought Carter was great for Duke. He was the best rebounding presence Duke has had since I can remember. Esp. given that he was a freshman.

At the same time, Carter has a tendency to talk a big game about how good players will be. At the beginning of the season, Carter stated that Duke would go undefeated. No one knew then that the PG just could not shoot nor that Grayson (who had an outstanding game or two early) would completely lose his shooting confidence for long stretches.

I think Carter will be good in the NBA, a solid PF starter, a 16-18 and 9 type. Maybe approach 20 in a season or two. But not as good as he thinks he'll be. He's no 25-12 guy.

The one thing I think that's being overlooked is that Carter was told he would be the focal point of the offense, until Bagley signed. The kid, to me, didn't seem to show any resentment.
Put yourself in his shoes with that one. He's been probably the best kid on any team he's played for. Then that changed.
How many people could take a job, be told you're the best one for the job, that you're the most important person, then the company hires a new guy, pay him a little more, yet you still do the job with the same happy face?

Carter did, and he's only 18. I hope he has a great pro career.

The one thing I think that's being overlooked is that Carter was told he would be the focal point of the offense, until Bagley signed. The kid, to me, didn't seem to show any resentment.
Put yourself in his shoes with that one. He's been probably the best kid on any team he's played for. Then that changed.
How many people could take a job, be told you're the best one for the job, that you're the most important person, then the company hires a new guy, pay him a little more, yet you still do the job with the same happy face?

Carter did, and he's only 18. I hope he has a great pro career.

Without Bagley, what more would Carter have done? Averaged more points and rebounds? Maybe. But remember, he was in foul trouble A LOT this season and in the Kansas game. We needed Bagley and no coach is going to turn that type of talent down. I'm sorry.

Without Bagley, what more would Carter have done? Averaged more points and rebounds? Maybe. But remember, he was in foul trouble A LOT this season and in the Kansas game. We needed Bagley and no coach is going to turn that type of talent down. I'm sorry.
THIS. Not to mention, the "our record was undefeated without Bagley argument" is terrible. Not factoring in the weak schedule we played without Bagley, who would our 5th starter have been all year, Javin?? Bolden??

We would have been scouted to a tea given that starting lineup, and our weaknesses would have been exploited MUCH DEEPER than they were with us starting Bagley. We would have been VERY EASY to guard with Javin/Bolden as the 5th starter, considering we would have been starting a complete non-shooting, non-offensive threat. Give that Duke lineup a much larger sample and we would have been shown the negative impact that would have ensued.

But sure...since we got to see 30+ games with Bagley starting, OF COURSE we got to see the effects of scouting us, and the few ways to stop us. We would have been much worse without Bagley, not even close. Though Carter's stats (not his draft stock) would have increased.

Q the one thing I Would say is did some of Wendell's foul troubles result from Bagley's lack of defense? You ARE correct- he was frequently in foul difficulty...Just curious if that was partially from Bagley's defensive woes??

OFC

Reactions: PatrickYates
We see it different Q. Yes Carter would have had better stats, as would the other starters, and our bench too. Our shooting would have been better too, cause our ball movement would have been better. We had more talent with Bagley, but I think we were a better team without.
Why wasn't Bagley ever hardly in foul trouble? Could it be that he was horrible on that side of the ball, and/or that Carter had to do a little more defensively, causing some cheap fouls on his part? Bagley had 0, I mean 0 fouls against Kansas. The kid played 38 or 39 minutes. That's unacceptable. Yes he will be probably the best pro of the four, but college talent and pro talent aren't the same.
We didn't need Bagley. We took him, but we didn't need him.

We see it different Q. Yes Carter would have had better stats, as would the other starters, and our bench too. Our shooting would have been better too, cause our ball movement would have been better. We had more talent with Bagley, but I think we were a better team without.
Why wasn't Bagley ever hardly in foul trouble? Could it be that he was horrible on that side of the ball, and/or that Carter had to do a little more defensively, causing some cheap fouls on his part? Bagley had 0, I mean 0 fouls against Kansas. The kid played 38 or 39 minutes. That's unacceptable. Yes he will be probably the best pro of the four, but college talent and pro talent aren't the same.
We didn't need Bagley. We took him, but we didn't need him.
You are saying our shooting would have been better if we inserted Javin or Bolden into the starting lineup over Bagley?? That makes zero sense.

Not to mention..our shooting numbers without Bagley were actually much worse, we just slowed the game down more and that's when our zone defense started to really click.

Remember, Bagley could actually shoot from the outside, at a respectable clip too (I didn't like it, I prefered him to stay inside). I don't see how our shooting gets better, I actually think it gets MUCH worse. Javin in any lineup is gonna result in a poor shooting lineup, it is what it is.
The only way the shooting improved is if we started Alex too, can't do that, who would be starting at the 4? Gary??? And throwing Alex into any starting lineup would contradict your constant attack on Bagley's defense, given that Alex was a worse defender than Bagley.

Last edited:
You are saying our shooting would have been better if we inserted Javin or Bolden into the starting lineup over Bagley?? That makes zero sense.

Not to mention..our shooting numbers without Bagley were actually much worse, we just slowed the game down more and that's when our zone defense started to really click.

Remember, Bagley could actually shoot from the outside, at a respectable clip too (I didn't like it, I prefered him to stay inside). I don't see how our shooting gets better, I actually think it gets MUCH worse. Javin in any lineup is gonna result in a poor shooting lineup, it is what it is.
The only way the shooting improved is if we started Alex too, can't do that, who would be starting at the 4? Gary??? And throwing Alex into any starting lineup would contradict your constant attack on Bagley's defense, given that Alex was a worse defender than Bagley.
That's exactly what I'm saying. I would love to have seen this team, minus Bagley, all season. This may have been the worst ball movement team I've seen during K's era.
You're too hung up on purely talent, and who will be future nba all stars.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I would love to have seen this team, minus Bagley, all season. This may have been the worst ball movement team I've seen during K's era.
You're too hung up on purely talent, and who will be future nba all stars.
You're right we were much more talented with Bagley.

I'm still completely stunned though how our shooting improves if take out a respectable shooter (Bagley) and insert a complete non-shooter (Javin or Bolden)??? Sure, our ball movement would improve. But again, the small 5-game sample without Bagley actually resulted in worse shooting, we were much easier to guard. Did we click? Yes. But not because of great shooting. We milked the clock and won by taking good efficient shots, scout us further and our offense would have been easy to stop, very easy.
We limped to the finish in all those games because we were out of offense, Grayson would literally hold the ball till the shot clock expired.

Remember our first 5 games of the year with Bagley, (we won them all by the way) we got near 100 every game, as the year went on and coaches scout us, that average dropped.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT