ADVERTISEMENT

Starting lineup vs VCU?

SWEc/o95

Cameron Crazy
Sep 7, 2007
You guys think Thornton gets the nod at PG and Ingram comes off the bench?

I think Thornton starts but in place of Grayson for this game. Not sure Ingram needs to start this one but I don't see any options unless you throw luke out there

A line-up change right now would be a bad sign, imo. It would indicate this was more than just a bad game against a team who took advantage and imposed its will on us. for that reason, I hope not. Later, maybe, but I wouldn't like it right now.

Grayson compounded a frustrating night shooting with silly plays elsewhere. That unforced turnover then foul that got him benched was a mental and emotional mistake. I was glad that he played marginally better after sitting for a while.

You guys think Thornton gets the nod at PG and Ingram comes off the bench?

This game largely highlighted what I already thought. Thornton's eventually going to have to assume the starting PG duty for this year's squad to make any type of serious run late in the year. Against good teams, we just don't have enough offensive playmakers to consistently score with the starting lineup we've been trotting out there --- as even when Grayson & Ingram play better, they're not good enough to create offense for those around them. While Thorton's clearly far from a finished product, there is just a lot more upside with him at the point.

A line-up change right now would be a bad sign, imo. It would indicate this was more than just a bad game against a team who took advantage and imposed its will on us. for that reason, I hope not. Later, maybe, but I wouldn't like it right now.

Grayson compounded a frustrating night shooting with silly plays elsewhere. That unforced turnover then foul that got him benched was a mental and emotional mistake. I was glad that he played marginally better after sitting for a while.

I lineup change early on is better than later. I too feel that if we are going to make a run DT will have to take over at PG. We had two different lineups for our two preseason games. May be a few more games before we find out who K is comfortable with on the court.

I lineup change early on is better than later. I too feel that if we are going to make a run DT will have to take over at PG. We had two different lineups for our two preseason games. May be a few more games before we find out who K is comfortable with on the court.
I don't know about that. Boozer's injury led to a desperately late line-up change including starting C-Du over Nate to spark our '01 title run. Miles started more games than Zoub in '10. It was much later than this last season that Matt started over Amile. Those are our last 3 titles.

Grayson looked emotionally fragile last night. K could go "tough love" and tell him to toughen up on the bench, or he could nurse him through that. I'd hate for a loss in just the third game of the season with a really young team to be so obviously the reason for a switch right now.

Of course, K is likely to pull off whatever he does managing/teaching/parenting players, so I'm really just spitballing right now. I thought Derryck was the biggest positive last night specifically wrt what we might become by March.

I don't think a lineup change would be a bad sign...I'm not exactly sure what the lineup should be but I don't think Allen and Jones can be your primary ball handlers.

Either Thornton or Kennard have to initiate the offense with the ball in their hands. If your going to have Allen and Jones on the floor together than Ingram either needs to come off the bench or play the four which puts Plumlee or Jefferson on the bench.

Either way you have to have a ball handler and playmaker at PG and the only two on the roster that fit that bill are Thornton or Kennard. One of them has to get the rains to this team IMO. It certainly looked last night like K is trending towards Thornton being that man.

Keeping the lineup as is to me is a worse sign than changing it. I just don't think that's going to work against good teams.

Our assists totals for three games are scary....we have played a lot of isolation basketball and look very unDuke like offensively, it wasn't just Kentucky's defense, it's been the first three games. It's very much personal and schematics IMO and I believe they are connected. I also believe it will change and improve I've seen K do miracles with teams that have a lot less than this one. This team is clearly talented he just does not know what he wants to do quite yet.

Last edited:

K was visibly upset with Grayson's lack of maturity, I'm sure there will be a talk today.

I don't think a lineup change would be a bad sign...I'm not exactly sure what the lineup should be but I don't think Allen and Jones can be your primary ball handlers. Either Thornton or Kennard have to initiate the offense with the ball in their hands. If your going to have Allen and Jones on the floor together than Ingram either needs to come off the bench or play the four which puts Plumlee or Jefferson on the bench. Either way you have to have a ball handler and playmaker at PG and the only two on the roster that fit that bill are Thornton or Kennard. One of them has to get the rains to this team IMO. It certainly looked last night like K is trending towards Thornton being that man.

Allen & Jones cannot be our main ball handlers, time for DT to take the reigns.

With Smart now departed for Texas does VCU still apply defensive pressure for 90 feet or have they slowed down? If they do apply the pressure this game could be very interesting with our lack of ball handlers

Just read the coaching staff warned Grayson his signature one handed layup would not work against UK but he displayed that many times only to have it rejected. Grayson may get some pine time on Friday.

I really don't see any major changes at this time, just because of one bad game. We all knew there would be tinkering with the starters from the get-go. "K" might send one of his "messages" to a couple of players, but whatever he decides to do will be for teaching purposes.
One thing is for sure, Marshall/Amile will start, and probably Matt also. At some point in time, when "K" thinks he is ready, Thornton will be the point guard. Obviously, he is bringing him along slowly, and personally, I thought he did a pretty decent job last night for spurts.
Lastly, I really can't believe some of you are "hammering" Grayson. Hell, he is just a Sophomore guys, and I hate to tell you this, but he is still learning too. Whether he starts Friday or not, please give the kid a break and support him, he will be fine.
I really don't care who starts, as long as these kids stay together as a team. That will be one of the most important things to watch over the next few games, will they tighten their bond with each other or play for themselves.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

As long as we don't go back to the isolation, stand an watch style we have shown a couple times in the last five years I am totally fine. It will all come together. I thought Thornton showed some great things last night with just a couple bobbles. He hit some shots, and showed an ability to get his shots. All things considered in his first game in the national spotlight I think he did fine, and I do think by mid ACC calendar he is the starting PG. I think for VCU we see the same starters as last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT