ADVERTISEMENT

So what do ACC coaches think about Duke's chances.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Annually, Sports Illustrated’s Seth Davis talks with coaches in conferences across the country to get scouting reports on the nation’s best teams.

So what did ACC coaches have to say about this year’s Duke team?

“I don’t think they’re ready to make a run to the Final Four," the coaches told Davis. "They don’t have the point guard, a true leader they’ve always had in the past. They’re an average defensive team right now, which happens anytime you’re playing a lot of young guys. I think [junior guard Grayson] Allen is a nice kid. Like most kids, he has been working through some things. He is really right-handed. He’s a dynamic straight-line driver and good athlete, but I’m not sure how easy the game comes to him. He’s a little bit stiff. If you can send him left, make him make multiple moves, it’s better. There’s no great way to guard [sophomore guard Luke] Kennard. You want [freshman forward Jayson] Tatum shooting jump shots. He’s so athletic in the open court. [Senior guard] Matt Jones’s leadership is vital. It’s amazing Coach K has the luxury of taking a McDonald’s All-American kid like [freshman forward] Marques Bolden and play him six or seven minutes a game. You want to put those young big guys in ball screen situations defensively. At the beginning of the year, Coach K didn’t have to worry about playing the freshmen because they were hurt. When those guys got healthy, it screwed ‘em up a little bit.”

It’s an interesting take on a team that has won seven straight games and seems to have emerged as a serious national title threat, though Duke will get to respond on the court.

I hope Coach K see's this and makes sure the team see's it. Danged if it wouldn't motivate me. Notice that no coach is identified. OFC

Tatum makes jumpers quite consistently it's his turn around and step back that comes out sketchy. Didn't agree with the analysis besides the defense

Reactions: tw3301
Bulletin board material right here. Wow what a joke!! I'd love to know who said what. We're going to prove them all wrong I can tell you that

The part where I don't fully agree with is part about Allen. He's had such a roller coaster season. Whether it's been mental or physical, he hasn't been 100% too many games. From Wake game thru Tar Hole game (4 games) he was best player, then he turned his ankle next 2 games. His numbers against Clemson, UVA and Wake were down. I hope he's ready come Wednesday night. They're definitely right about Kennard, he's very crafty. 2010 team had no point guard

Unfortunately I can see where other ACC coaches would see and say that about Duke. Some of it is true and some of is not. Naturally we Dukies will not agree with most of it because we are and have become a different team that a month ago.

Last edited:
Finish solid and we get #2/3 seed in East with Nova in the way. Nova is an excellent team but it is so hard to return to the FF. We could also wind up in Greenville for first rounds.

Reactions: eastspartan
Sky, good post. What the coaches had to say, I don't have to like, but keeping an open mind, I tend to agree with what they said. Duke is not ready to make a Final Four run (right now!), and the rest is just their opinion, and I have to agree with them on these issues.
Now, as we all know, opinions are like rear-ends, everyone has one, and I hope they all keep talking, along with all of America, or just forget about Duke, they don't have what it takes. I LOVE IT, because as you said, Duke will respond on the Court! If we get everyone healthy, as the Tourney goes on, people will start saying, Oh sh_t, HERE COMES DUKE!
Go Duke!
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT