ADVERTISEMENT

So let's talk MSU.

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
Gonna be a huge stage for 4 freshmen no matter how you look at it. Gonna really test their mettle? Who's guarding Bridges? May be Gary. Personally if he gets to outta hand, I think Javin could shut him down. I like the fact that he's gonna have to be finishing in the vicinity of Wendell and Marvin though. That won't be easy for him. Foul trouble and free throws will be the enemy in this one. We get to see how our kids handle physicality , I think Bagley will get roughed up a bit in this one. We will see the bench. Hoping Bolden is up to speed. K usually has a great game plan vs Izzo. Got my fingers crossed. What do you guys think?

I don’t think we have anyone that can shut Bridges down, but K will come up with a plan to slow him down. In the end, if we play efficiently on offense and rebound well, we win.

Edit: I would also like to see a better free throw %.

Last edited:
You said some good stuff Show. This is one of few Duke teams that can play big at 4 positions. I like the 2-3 zone with Bag, Bolden and Carter.

Attack the basket, because you better believe that's what Izzo's army will be doing...

Gonna be a huge stage for 4 freshmen no matter how you look at it. Gonna really test their mettle? Who's guarding Bridges? May be Gary. Personally if he gets to outta hand, I think Javin could shut him down. I like the fact that he's gonna have to be finishing in the vicinity of Wendell and Marvin though. That won't be easy for him. Foul trouble and free throws will be the enemy in this one. We get to see how our kids handle physicality , I think Bagley will get roughed up a bit in this one. We will see the bench. Hoping Bolden is up to speed. K usually has a great game plan vs Izzo. Got my fingers crossed. What do you guys think?

I think having a tough game early is good. It really depends on how the team responds especially the young guys. Grayson's role will be big tomorrow night regardless of how many points he puts up which I believe will be many. His big role will be how he gets through to the young guys that Duke should win and will win. Get back on defense after making baskets, hitting free throws especially crunch time free throws and getting out on the 3 point shooters. Bridges will get his but still keep him in check. I think several guys will be on him from time to time including Grayson along with Gary and Javin. If he puts up 40 we are in trouble. Just don't let another player go off. We are gonna win this game. OFC

I think this game is about more than just shutting down Bridges. They have several guys who can score, but so do we. They aren't that much older than us...mostly sophomores, but how will our freshmen respond if things aren't going well? Looking at their last game, they can shoot free throws. If we don't, that worries me. I think this one is a tough call. I am trusting that K will put together a good game plan, and Grayson will lead our freshen in executing it. As early in the season as this game is, I don't think it defines either team. These are two teams that I believe will be March ready. If I had to bet the farm?
Us in a very tough, hard fought game

Agree, Show. I'm afraid whoever guards Bridges is going to get in foul trouble quickly...not only because he's good, but freshmen don't seem to get many calls when they go against someone with a rep. And fts...we need to at least be respectable.
But I do think our offense (especially transition) will give MSU some troubles. As long as our guys play hard and don't lose their poise we'll be fine.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
MSU’s weakness is defensively at PG. Winston is an elite offensive player but he is slow footed defensively. Take the ball at him every chance you get. Get him into foul trouble and Duke’s chances of winning increase exponentially with zero offense 5’8” Tum Tum Nairn Jr on the floor.

MSU’s strength:
Frontcourt size, athleticism, length and depth.

SF. Bridges. 6’7” 232 lbs, 6’10” wingspan
PF. Jackson. 6’11” 240 lbs, 7’4” wingspan
CT. Ward. 6’8” 265 lbs, 7’3” wingspan

Bench:
Schilling, Sr. 6’9” 250 lbs
Carter, Sr. 6’9” 240 lbs
Goins, Jr. 6’7” 230 lbs, 7’0” wingspan
Tillman, Frosh. 6’8” 255 lbs, 7’3” wingspan

Grayson will have to play better than he traditionally has in the Champions Classic, and I think the Senior Grayson will do just that and have a great game. I like the idea of playing some 2-3 zone also to protect the paint because Michigan State will be driving the ball. Also Duke will need to make free throws. I have been concerned about free throw shooting because the game will most likely come down to free throw shooting. If Duke comes out and makes shots, plays good defense, stays out of foul trouble, and makes free throws, then Duke will win the game.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Nothing would truly surprise me and bexause of that i have no clue what to expect. I do hope that if things start going against us we see poise and toughness from the freshman. I think we have a mentally tough group, but we will know more tomorrow night. I think it will be an excellent game.

I feel like Duval is the key..he has to run the offense really well in this one..if he’s strong with the ball I think we win...if he’s playing to fast and turns it over a lot in this one we lose...

Also he has to play really good pressure D on their PG and make it hard for them to run their sets...

Will be interesting to see how he plays in his first big time game with Duke in a big time atmosphere...

Take care of the ball, turn them over and score in transition, and make ft's. If we do these things we're going to win going away (8 plus). I want to see how our freshmen do on the big stage. I got a feeling they're gonna shine!

I feel like Duval is the key..he has to run the offense really well in this one..if he’s strong with the ball I think we win...if he’s playing to fast and turns it over a lot in this one we lose...

Also he has to play really good pressure D on their PG and make it hard for them to run their sets...

Will be interesting to see how he plays in his first big time game with Duke in a big time atmosphere...

I like this. I want to see Duval attack the basket hard and draw in the defense and dish for dunks or get the foul and go to the line. I also want to see Grayson attack the rim as well. Good interior defense and rebounding from our bigs, get offensive rebounds and kick them out to open shooters.

Run offense inside out, and hope our bigs don't force anything. This is also the first test for Grayson to be the leader. He should touch the ball quite often. Good things happen when he does, and he will look to get the bigs going. If they get going, it will free up him and Trent. Duval should not make it a point to win his battle with their point.
Defensively, I may look to double Bridges a lot. Win the rebounding battle. If this is a typical Izzo team, this is where they will try to wreak havoc.
I think if we're patient, we will show the country that you pick your poison when guarding Duke, and I think our boys will show that they're as tough as they are talented. 86-78

Reactions: jamsession3
Run offense inside out, and hope our bigs don't force anything. This is also the first test for Grayson to be the leader. He should touch the ball quite often. Good things happen when he does, and he will look to get the bigs going. If they get going, it will free up him and Trent. Duval should not make it a point to win his battle with their point.
Defensively, I may look to double Bridges a lot. Win the rebounding battle. If this is a typical Izzo team, this is where they will try to wreak havoc.
I think if we're patient, we will show the country that you pick your poison when guarding Duke, and I think our boys will show that they're as tough as they are talented. 86-78

Bridges is a headache because he's able to play his natural position with no double-teams. The defense on Bridges should be by committee with Duke altering his shots. This means Javin, Grayson, Carter, Bag, and Trent should take turns being in his grill.

Hard to get a feel for this one. We're more talented but this is such a step up in the level of competition for our freshmen that I have to think Michigan State's experience advantage might be hard to overcome.

That said, anyone else think this could be a bit of a coming out party for Carter? I really think the matchups present an opportunity for him to do some damage.

I think MSU would be wise to be burning the midnight oil trying to figure a way to stop our weapons. They have some sure studs but we seem to have a few more.

We could blow them out lol, im just saying this aint your typical Duke team.

This ain’t your typical MSU team either. No one has ever seen two lottery picks on a Tom Izzo coached team. And Nick Ward is an beast of a talent as well. Reminds me of Caleb Swanigan.

Should be a fun team for Duke to match up with. I still say Duke’s best chance of winning is to get MSU’s backcourt into foul trouble. They don’t have much depth of talent there.

Play tough defense. Feed the post. Don't fall in love with the three (unless they're hitting them).

One thing I believe is very important is to get off to a solid start. We can't begin the game by going 1-10 from the field. We have had games like that and a team like MSU will take advantage of that and it will make it tough to get back in the game. Now if when can get MSU to get off to a poor start then we should roll. OFC

We’re more talented. That said, MSU is really talented too....and they’re older.

It’s simple for me. Protect the basketball, be smart offensively and win the battle at the FT line. We do those things and I like our chances. One more thing, avoid freshmen moments. A lot easier said than done.

Reactions: skysdad
I’d love to see Gary and Grayson go Ewing and Redick ‘05 on MSU (in Cameron of course).

But seriously though i would not be surprised to see the zone a lot. Make them a shooting team, because with Nick Ward, Bridges and Jackson Jr., they will be able to matchup on the interior. Duke’s advantage is with the guards. It would behoove Duke to keep Gary, Grayson and Duval on the floor.

Jackson and Ward can be put in foul trouble and it should be Duke’s mission to make that a reality before they come after us.

Should Duke win the perimeter battle and get a rhythm going on the interior, this one actually shouldn’t be too close.

But MSU has their own keys against us. Make Trevon a handicap, funnel shots to the shot blocking interior and let our bigs fall in love with the outside shot. If they do that, we lose.

Who’s game plan works?

We ain't winning at the stripe. Gonna have to be another way.

This is going to be an absolute war and have no idea how it is going to turn out but even if we we lose in the long run it will not matter.This is learning experience that will pave the way for our kids that will pay dividends in March and April

What's surprising about MSU is they lost 15 games last year - Izzo only lost more his first year at MSU? Must have some weaknesses.

Tum Tum Nairn is not the point guard they want him to be. He has some severe limitations to his game and as much as they try to make him the next Mateen Cleaves, he just isn’t.

Also don’t forget they lost Bridges for much of last year to injury. He either didn’t play, or was nowhere near 100% when he did.

Their best bet is that Cassius Winston plays 40 minutes. That kid is a baller.

I found an MSU Message board and was gonna talk hoops with them but the first 10 threads were about how we get all the calls, K cheats , he's a rat face, yadda yadda yadda. I hope we rip those pricks now.

do-the-best-and-beat-their-ass.png

MSU’s weakness is defensively at PG. Winston is an elite offensive player but he is slow footed defensively. Take the ball at him every chance you get. Get him into foul trouble and Duke’s chances of winning increase exponentially with zero offense 5’8” Tum Tum Nairn Jr on the floor.

MSU’s strength:
Frontcourt size, athleticism, length and depth.

SF. Bridges. 6’7” 232 lbs, 6’10” wingspan
PF. Jackson. 6’11” 240 lbs, 7’4” wingspan
CT. Ward. 6’8” 265 lbs, 7’3” wingspan

Bench:
Schilling, Sr. 6’9” 250 lbs
Carter, Sr. 6’9” 240 lbs
Goins, Jr. 6’7” 230 lbs, 7’0” wingspan
Tillman, Frosh. 6’8” 255 lbs, 7’3” wingspan

Really good post, but I've got a solution for all of that size:

SF Trent, 6'6 (wingspan 6'9.5)
PF Carter, 6'10 (wingspan 7'3)
PF Bagley, 6'11 (wingspan 7'0)
PF DeLaurier, 6'10 (wingspan 7'1)
C Bolden, 6'11(wingspan 7'6)
C Vrankovic 7'0 (270 lbs)
PF Robinson, 6'9

This team will mix it up with anyone, and they have more talent than MSU on the frontline (although Jackson is a grown-ass man).

Reactions: Mac9192
I think some of you are forgetting that Grayson knows how to beat MI State.

I'm going big time homer on this call. Duke by 24 after a somewhat tight first half. We have too many weapons, too much athleticism.

Go Duke!!

Really good post, but I've got a solution for all of that size:

SF Trent, 6'6 (wingspan 6'9.5)
PF Carter, 6'10 (wingspan 7'3)
PF Bagley, 6'11 (wingspan 7'0)
PF DeLaurier, 6'10 (wingspan 7'1)
C Bolden, 6'11(wingspan 7'6)
C Vrankovic 7'0 (270 lbs)
PF Robinson, 6'9

This team will mix it up with anyone, and they have more talent than MSU on the frontline (although Jackson is a grown-ass man).

The difference i see is this: Izzo has no problem playing 10+ deep into his roster and does so frequently, especially in big games. On the flip, K does not like to do so and in turn he rarely does.

What's surprising about MSU is they lost 15 games last year - Izzo only lost more his first year at MSU? Must have some weaknesses.

Main reason for that was all of the youth and the complete absence of any size outside of a true freshman Ward. They only had one guy (Ward) taller than 6’7” on the roster.

I found an MSU Message board and was gonna talk hoops with them but the first 10 threads were about how we get all the calls, K cheats , he's a rat face, yadda yadda yadda. I hope we rip those pricks now.

That kind of surprises me. I always thought their fan base was classier than that. I guess every fan base has some of those type fans.

That's just their built in excuses for when we kick their ass!
They stole that one from the Tarhole fan base.

Current KenPom rankings:

6. Duke: Offense 1st; Defense 33rd

10. MSU: Offense 10th; Defense 14th

Main reason for that was all of the youth and the complete absence of any size outside of a true freshman Ward. They only had one guy (Ward) taller than 6’7” on the roster.

And a lot of injuries last year much like Duke. They brought in a top-rated class but because of injuries, didn't play that well. Luckily, out season didn't detail quite like their's. They are worthy of being ranked this high to begin the season IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT