ADVERTISEMENT

Shameless

NCAA vs. UNC - Will Anyone Come Out Of It Looking Good?

The NCAA has certainly hurt itself over the years with a certain, shall we say, high-handedness. On the other hand, UNC has completely shredded its own reputation. The scandal was bad enough but the reaction has made it 1,000 times worse.

Still, the NCAA can’t afford to not do something. Nearly two decades of academic fraud?

On the other hand, had UNC backed down and showed some humility and chagrin over the situation, their coming punishment would surely have been less.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.co...ne-come-out-of-it-looking-good-acc-basketball

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
It is by John Feinstein so of course that makes it convenient for the Holes to play it off as simply a "Dookie" with an agenda. Truth hurts. Too bad it wasn't written by a non Dukie though, just so the Holes wouldn't have that angle to play.

Well, it is at cbssports.com. No idea why I can't link the article. Maybe some of you know which one I am talking about or you could google it if interested.

And whatever happened to the old "The NCAA has announced that men's bball is totally in the clear and will not be effected" confidence of a year ago?

Cheating%20Its%20Whats%20for%20Dinner%20UNC.jpg

OFC

It turns out North Carolina's academic issues are in the NCAA's wheelhouse after all

But in documents released by the University of North Carolina on Tuesday, the NCAA's enforcement decision declared that they viewed the issues at UNC as within the NCAA's purview, creating a wide spectrum of punishment possibilities when the case is ultimately judged.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...igation_is_in_ncaas_wheelhouse_after_all.html

unx alum Bob Lee posts in the "COMMENTS" section of the Feinstein article...

BobLee Says July 27, 2017 at 10:41 am

I am a UNC alum who is “estranged” from my alma mater over this and other issues… a key factor in the arrogant indignation from UNC loyalists over “this” is that for multi-generations so much of their own self-images were invested in the myth of “The Carolina Way” as manufactured and sold by Dean Smith. It was under Smith’s watch that this scam was born in 1992. … If the Humpty Dumpty of The Carolina Way is shattered, it cannot be “put back together again”.

UNC alums are certainly not the only alum/fans to believe in a myth of their College Athletics (FB/ MBB) piety. …. EVERYONE CHEATS – BUT US!

A Poisoned Ivy‏ @CheatingBlueRam

Big difference Walter. Orientation courses for athletes are not used to meet the General Education requirements necessary for graduation.

DF57p4VXUAAH3XO.jpg

A shame @WalterByerz has blocked me. Too much of a coward for an open debate about his misinformed opinions regarding academic policy.

Another difference, courses developed for specific majors or cohorts have those restrictions listed in the course catalog.

Crowder's classes, had they been published in the catalog, would not have listed any restrictions since they were Gen Ed perspective courses

While the word "fraud" has been avoided at all costs, how many human resources ACTIONS did UNC process in response to the fake classes?

https://twitter.com/CheatingBlueRam

UNC Apologists argue NCAA has no role in academics.

When the NCAA does not charge academic misconduct, said Apologists consider that an endorsement of the legitimacy of academic classes.

If NCAA has no role in academics, wouldn't their supposed endorsement (class legitimacy) be irrelevant? Can't have it both ways Tar Heels.

"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." -- Oogway

For UNC, that destiny is an 8 hour ride west on I-40.

Reactions: hart2chesson

Priority registration means you are at the front of the line, like graduate students, to register in courses PUBLISHED in the catalog.

DF2de6WWAAAn8dS.jpg

In all of their many defenses, the Apologists have never been able to show Crowder's version of the AFAM classes were in the catalog.

Don't we need to ask who's work though? Documents recovered indicate she awarded high grades to students for work not entirely theirs.

DF3EpgMXgAAQ9Pv.jpg

Of 150 papers recovered, 40% we determined to have 25% or more unoriginal work. Undisputed that Johnny was given an A- for Jimmy's work.

Isn't the record replete with examples of students receiving grades of ABs because they DIDN'T submit their work on time?

The grade they should have received was "F," a fatal blow to a fragile GPA. Instead they received the live-to-fight-another-day grade... AB

Definition of AB: "would have passed if present for the exam." There was no exam

I’d feel some sympathy for UNC officials if they had earnestly tried to get to the bottom of all this. But instead of opening up, they lawyered up and stonewalled investigators. They blamed a false “media narrative” for forcing the NCAA to investigate and have distanced themselves from the Wainstein report

The school already has spent $18 million on the academic scandal, mostly in legal fees. It has not been money well-spent, either. Had Carolina officials fallen on their collective swords in 2011 and made an honest effort to atone, they likely they would have gotten off with minimum NCAA sanctions.

But if the NCAA fails to levy tough penalties on the Tar Heels, it forfeits any credibility as a neutral arbiter of fair play.

Last edited:
Ted Tatos‏@TedTatos

2005 email from Cynthia Reynolds explains why UNC "independent studies" affected athlete eligibility.

DGCBmInVoAABV_M.jpg

Ted Tatos‏@TedTatos

Upon retiring, UNC department secretary Deborah Crowder left future of fraud class scheme to athletic dept. academic support employees.
DGCCODXUMAEcPK1.jpg

Somewhat heartening to see local media not drinkin' the Kool-Aid even though Ovies , in the past , HAS had a glass or two....

Feinstein fires back...

Feinstein: I Let The Record Speak For Itself

I say this only because I get very damn tired anytime I write something the least bit critical of North Carolina — as in this circumstance — of having to deal with some people saying “You’re a Duke guy,” or the morons who, in this case, wrote things like, “How many easy sociology classes did you take at Duke?”

So why then did I write the column? Simple. I read what Bubba Cunningham said to CBS’s Dennis Dodd and thought much of it was outrageous, especially when he invoked the dreaded “student-athlete” phrase. There is NOTHING more hypocritical in sports than coaches and administrators invoking the “student-athlete” phrase when we all know that many, if not most, big-time athletes care only about becoming pros and take as many easy classes as they can. There’s nothing wrong with that, but Cunningham’s admission that academic fraud DID take place, but the NCAA didn’t have the authority to punish for this sort of fraud, made me a little bit nuts.

The investigation at Carolina dates to 1993, when Dean Smith was still coaching. The thought that he might have been involved in any way at all, makes me almost physically ill. So, I choose not to believe it.

But I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t mention the dates because they are FACTS.
Being an adult isn’t always easy. Neither is being a reporter — especially when you know some people will always find a way to scream that you’re biased. The best I can do is let my record speak for itself.

http://radio.cbssports.com/2017/08/01/feinstein-i-let-the-record-speak-for-itself/amp/

Reactions: hart2chesson
unx fans call critics "obsessed" but every time one of those "critics" publishes an article , well , unx fans attack. Had to figure Harry Minium was the next target. "Obsessed" much , tarholes? Byerz , btw , is as obsessed as they come. As bad...if not worse...than B-Rad. "@ScottBlack" is psychotic...

Walter Byerz ‏ @WalterByerz

UNC advisors helped athletes they advised. Unlike at Oregon, UNC coaches don't keep players eligible by having them lift weights and run

Ron Pharr‏ @ronpharr

Never heard back from you @Harry_MiniumVP You cared enough to bash #UNC but are U open minded where you can consider a different view?

Harry Minium‏@Harry_MiniumVP

At your suggestion, I private messaged @walterbyerz who I know and respect. I don't debate on Twitter, but will say you and I just disagree.

Bolt‏ @keenun54

Mr. Minium's "article" is a factually inaccurate regurgitation. Hell, at least Dan Kane's lies were original

Scott B.‏ @ScottBlack24

Considering that he straight-up lied in the article he wrote, it's no stretch to think that Harry would lie about this. And I doubt seriously that Harry has any idea who he is. I'm going to bet that Harry is a liar here to be honest. There are a number of people who have some idea of who Walter is in real life. Waiting for Harry to offer proof any kind of proof that he is ever met the person behind the Walter account. Until then he's simply a liar

Ron Pharr‏ @ronpharr

Quite frankly, I'm not sure exactly *which N&0 storyline he was referencing. Over the years, their master wordsmith has invented numerous.

Merv Hage‏ @merv_hage

hey Harry, Jesus does not like liars.

James Woody‏ @imaheelsfan

Harry has NO idea who @WalterByerz is.

st8dukegrad87
(4002)
165 months

Here is the timeline, again:

COI Hearing - mid August 2017

COI Issues Report - from mid-October to mid-November timeframe. UNC-CH will be given 24 hours notice of report release. Report is released to public with student-athlete names typically redacted in cases involving academics. The NCAA controls release, not UNC-CH.

UNC-CH would have 15 days to appeal to IAC ( Infractions Appeal Committee ) (Note 1 below describes grounds)

IAC does not have a specific timeframe, but it could be as long as 4 months given the complexity of case, therefore IAC rules mid-March 2018

NCAA process is complete.

UNC-CH may choose to sue the NCAA but as I have described in prior posts I believe that will be a difficult bar to clear.

Note 1:

32.10.4.1 Penalties. A penalty determined by the Committee on Infractions shall not be set aside on appeal except on a showing by the appealing party that the penalty is excessive such that it constitutes an abuse of discretion.

32.10.4.2 Findings. Findings of violations made by the Committee on Infractions shall not be set aside on appeal, except on a showing by the appealing party that:

(a) A finding is clearly contrary to the evidence presented to the Committee on Infractions;

(b) The facts found by the Committee on Infractions do not constitute a violation of the Association’s rules; or

(c) There was a procedural error and but for the error, the Committee on Infractions would not have made the finding of violation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT