ADVERTISEMENT

Shameless

There is no deterrent without pain. Jay hates the NCAA more than his cranial cavity can bear.

OFC

He's lost his damn mind. I can't tell what's driving this for him. Hatred of the NCAA? Desire not to piss off his tarhole ESPN boss? Avoid conflict with the unx alums who work with 'im at his law firm in Charlotte? All 3? And for any unx fans reading along. Jay KNOWS it's fraud. Since he's said as much , I'm guessin' he knows WHY it was done to begin with. Laughable that so many unx'ers consider Bilas to be "in their corner." He ain't. Not really anyway. He just thinks your cheating is outta the NCAA's purview....

DHN83eKW0AAXh8f.jpg

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
It doesn’t matter how the NCAA rules in the UNC academic scandal case. The verdict is already in. — Jacobs

For years North Carolina has dug in its heels, at considerable cost. “In a crisis, timing is everything,” says Kathleen Hessert, founder and CEO of Sports Media Challenge, a longstanding Charlotte-based “reputation management company and social media consulting firm.” “They have let this drag out way, way too long.”

In this case, the verdict already is in. Both sides lost.

For its part, North Carolina already has demonstrated a level of dismissive arrogance toward the latest charges leveled against it, at least publicly, that make it a most unsympathetic victim.

UNC, guided in part by a former member of the NCAA enforcement staff, chose a different route, giving the governing body of college athletics a bold, public, middle-finger salute. The stance is at odds with the June 2015 declaration by athletic director Bubba Cunningham that “everybody wants to bring closure to this.” Perhaps leaders in Chapel Hill have tried to quietly compromise, as rumored, and were rebuffed. Now some applaud UNC’s intransigence, its challenge to NCAA authority, as a courageous stand against arbitrarily wielded power. At least that’s the fantasy scenario among the hardcore defenders of what was clearly a system of shadow classes exploited to keep players eligible.

The effect of UNC’s position is to cast its leaders as unapologetic, and more eager to defend the school’s athletic reputation than its academic stature.

Unfortunately the very prolonged tug-of-war with the NCAA serves to keep the charges alive in public discourse and to reinforce rather than refute Carolina’s association with impropriety.

...only North Carolina has run afoul of the NCAA a second time.

But cleansing UNC’s name, now widely rendered as synonymous with organized cheating, will take more work than that.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article166822887.html

Yo Jay. Wassup...?

Jay Bilas‏@JayBilas

They ( classes ) were not closed. They were generally available to all, and therefore not an extra benefit. Clear cut. NCAA is manufacturing a case.

Cheating Blue Ram‏ @CheatingBlueRam

Jay Bilas could clear this up quickly by providing the page number in ANY course schedule showing Crowder's courses were published to all.

I'm not looking for a page number of the actual lecture classes, I want one for the special arrangement classes. Hint Jay, it doesn't exist.

Maybe @JayBilas can produce Class Evaluations, a Syllabus, or ANY document consistent with a REAL course. Just one doc. Can't be too hard

Forged grade sheets don't count @JayBilas. Need something legitimate.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Mandy Mitchell‏@MandyWRAL

Getting ready to board my flight to Nashville for UNC's hearing with the NCAA. Coverage begins tomorrow #wral

Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken

As a veteran of covering COI hearings, be prepared for a lot of "no comments"

Mandy Mitchell‏@MandyWRAL

@DanWolken Bubba Cunningham is on my flight and joked that's what he would be saying.

Twas the night before NCAA COI meeting, when all through UNC Chapel Hill
Not a player was studying, not even D-Will
The banners were hung by the rafters with care,
In hopes that the NCAA would not order them to no longer be there.

The players were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of making the Dean's List without attending class danced in their heads.
And Deborah Crowder in her kerchief, and Ol' Roy in his cap,
Had just started grading papers before calling it a wrap.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
Huckleberry Hound sprang from the desk to see what was the matter.
Away to the window he flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash

With a little old driver, so lively and swankey
He knew in a moment it must be Greg Sankey

He was dressed all in a robe from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot.
A bundle of UNC Infractions he had flung on his back,
And he looked like Dan Kane just opening his emails from fans of the Wolf Pack.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled the stockings with notices of vacated wins, even while Ol' Roy called him a jerk.
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, he quipped "Now you know how it feels to be Derrick Rose!"

He sprang to his limo and to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all went like a Josh Harrellson to Jared Sullinger missle.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"2 banners will be coming down around this time tomorrow night"

1 U9K, Yesterday at 10:26 PM
Last edited: Today at 7:00 AM

While visions of making the Dean's List without attending class danced in their heads.

And filled the stockings with notices of vacated wins, even while Ol' Roy called him a jerk.

Magnificent!

OFC

This is SO FUNNY!

As usual, Bilas is long on opinion and short on facts and reason. If Bilas says there is no case, then the NCAA should just cancel the hearing, exonerate the Cheaters, and leave town. I mean, what more validation could possibly be needed?

Reactions: hart2chesson
Roy-at-COI-Backpack-gif.gif

Maybe Roy brought his ring collection in that backpack to impress the folks.
Or did he bring the transcripts?:p

OFC

Amazing that that everyone involved has to have high priced attorneys to represent them in a proceeding to find the truth especially since they did nothing wrong

For the architect of bogus classes and UNC-Chapel Hill, a tense time at NCAA hearing

Crowder’s affidavit and interview didn’t impress the NCAA’s enforcement staff. Investigators viewed her late entry into the case as another effort to delay, and didn’t remove the charge against her for lack of cooperation.

In their most recent response, the enforcement staff cited enrollment numbers showing athletes making up nearly half of the enrollments in the classes, while they comprise 3 percent of the student body. UNC said the percentage of athletes in the classes was lower, saying the NCAA was including former athletes in its count.

The enforcement staff said Crowder let athletes into classes with no questions asked, while non-athletes had to get approval from their academic advisers.

“Crowder essentially equated a student caring for a parent with cancer to a student-athlete who needed to attend a team practice,” the NCAA staff wrote.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article167574222.html

CBR ( current professor at unx ) blisters DeCourcy...

Michael DeCourcy‏ @tsnmike

UNC student on academic scandal: 'Nothing fake about the work I did'

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...5hv9eaj?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

@tsnmike Mr. Nance enrolled in a class approved for delivery as a lecture course. By his own admission, it was offered as Independent Study. Independent Study courses at the undergraduate level in AFAM in 2007 were offered as AFRI 090, not AFRI 120. Reality is, AFRI 090 did not meet General Education requirements, whereas AFRI 120 did. That is a significant part of the academic scandal.

Not sure what your point is here.

University curriculum committees approve courses for delivery in narrowly focused structures. AFRI 120 was approved as lecture format. It was not approved as an Independent Study format. Furthermore, Ind Stdy do not meet the University's General Education course requirements of any degree. Athletes (and others) were using Ind Study course to inappropriately meet graduation requirements.

Some news flash there, Cheat.

You trotted out the victim, not me. Had he not graduated by 2011, the university would have had him repeat the course. Sound like the course is legitimate, Mike?

Did you read the piece?

I did

And your problem with Mr. Nance is what?

I applaud him for over coming challenging circumstances. The work he did is irrelevant to the conversation RE the legitimacy of the course.

Bob Martin takes a pound of flesh too...

B. Martin‏ @yibyabby

Former students like Nance try to camouflage the school's misconduct by citing their own efforts. The misconduct wasn't the students'.

I think it's fair for Mr. Nance to express a perspective on this, from the inside, that others have not experienced.

B. Martin‏ @yibyabby

Sure, as long as he and others are cognizant that their experience may not be representative & doesn't ameliorate the institution's errors.

Honest to God, if someone would just read the article.

B. Martin‏ @yibyabby

This kind of "not my experience" testimonial seeks to excuse the so-called "false narrative" of institutional - not student - misconduct.

It really doesn't take that long.

B. Martin‏ @yibyabby

I've read it five times now. How are you not seeing that he isn't merely defending his own work? He's defending the University.

Good gracious: "Obvious examples of abuse have been uncovered within this department, and of that I am deeply ashamed."

B. Martin‏ @yibyabby

Saw that...every time I read it. Doesn't change the "counter narrative" he's pushing. He's not simply defending his own efforts. Come on!

This is the entire thread. Fascinating. DeCourcy seems to get caught up defending his article. He's definitely not defending unx but he DOES try and draw parallels between the educational experiences of a "going-back-to-school" middle-aged guy and athletes at unx. Insane , obviously...

The author ( Aaron Beard ) is a hole. Jus' sayin...'

UNC academic case finally reaches NCAA infractions hearing

"There's nothing that I can add to what happened before I ever got here," Fedora said last week. "But I'm there for support. I think me being there is important — not only for the NCAA but the university — that it shows compliance is important to me and our program."

http://www.modbee.com/sports/article167452577.html

What. A. Load. "Support," my azz. He was REQUIRED to be there...

DHWuvwBWsAETD-D.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT