ADVERTISEMENT

Shameless

Add a pointy hat to Crowder and she has Halloween covered.

Great idea, Pinecreek...how about the Wicked Witch of Oz? My little pretties...

Deborah%20Crowder%20%20Wicked%20Witch%20Flying%20Monkey.jpg

OFC

Don't understand the "general vibe" tweet.....who was thinking that it went better than expected.....and what was the expectation? Pointless tweet -- oh wait, I'm going to guess that Andrew is a UNC grad....
Might as well be. He writes in Charlotte Observer sports section. They are all hole homers.

At this point, I think that UNC is not arguing that there were no "academic irregularities". The case really depends on the intent of the "academic irregularities". The NCAA is arguing that the intent was to keep athletes eligible. UNC is arguing (I guess) that the intent was to provide an easy A to all-comers, athletes just happened to be the highest student segment.

Fun fact -- NCAA gets 90% of its revenue from March Madness -- $900,000,000. CBS Sports paid $10,800,000,000 ($10.8 billion) for 14 years. 96% of that revenue goes to D1 schools, the remaining 4% goes to NCAA. That leaves an additional $30,000,000 to NCAA. Anything that cause the integrity of the tournament into question is _really, really bad_ for the NCAA.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031516/how-much-does-ncaa-make-march-madness.asp

UNC has spent $18,000,000 on defending its name and record. It seems like the NCAA is probably prepared to spend a whole lot more than UNC. If this thing goes to court it would be a nightmare within a nightmare. The NCAA would call every former athlete, administrator, professor, adviser, janitor from UNC on the stand and provide sworn testimony. This is one chocolaty mess UNC will not walk away from.

UNC loses -- couple of banners go down.
NCAA loses -- 90% of their revenue machine is jeopardized.

Might as well be. He writes in Charlotte Observer sports section. They are all hole homers.

Carter is a shameless tarhole shill. He's a State grad(?) but unx is his gig so he's pretty much punted away any effort to be objective. I could almost empathize with that. In the past , whenever he dared to be even the slightest bit objective , the tarhole nation went after 'im. He wants to keep his job. Go figure. But somewhere along the way , he turned into a shameless homer. He attacks anyone who doesn't toe the unx company line. He's completely worthless as a journalist at this point.

The NCAA vs. North Carolina heads to a familiar phase -- waiting

North Carolina wrapped up its two-day hearing in front of the NCAA Committee on Infractions on Thursday, and now the university gets to hurry up and wait on the ultimate outcome.

That does not necessarily mean a resolution is in sight. It could be months before the committee announces a decision on possible punishment related to its investigation into bogus classes in the African and Afro-American Studies Department. Even then, North Carolina has the right to file an appeal, extending the case even further.

After three-plus years, what is a little more time?

Men's basketball coach Roy Williams, women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell and football coach Larry Fedora all arrived with their own attorneys.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...al-decision-case-involving-academic-standards

Some profanity here but check this out. These guys ask a KKK-douchebag about the unx scandal. About the 1:10 mark. Lulz...

Now this IS shameless. Good Lord , the delusion is strong with this guy. Dean was instrumental in the formation of the AFAM dept at unx. Not sure why a ball coach gets a voice in such decisions but whatever. Smith knew exactly what he was doing and damn well knew there wasn't much teaching goin' on...not for the jocks anyway. This notion that Dean was some kinda equal rights crusader is a joke. Self-serving at best. Cynical and egregiously exploitative at worst. DES...the "E" stands for "emancipator." Lulz...

Dean Smith statue in the U.S. Capitol? He beats who’s there now

The furor over removing Confederate memorials offers North Carolina an opportunity to tell a new, more positive story about our state and our values. One modest proposition: We should replace North Carolina’s statue of a Confederate veteran in the U.S. Capitol with a new statue of the late, legendary college basketball coach Dean Smith.

...Governor Vance is simply not the best choice to represent North Carolina and our values in the 21st century. Coach Dean Smith is.

He did not just nurture and teach generations of young men – including the greatest basketball player of all time, Michael Jordan. He did more than that.

Coach Smith embodied the values of the state of North Carolina. Hard work, determination and humility were his watchwords...A religious man, he recruited the first black basketball player to get a scholarship in Chapel Hill, Charlie Scott, and personally led efforts to desegregate the town.

He did these things before he was a legendary coach...He did them because they were right.

This is an opportunity to replace a figure from the musty past, marred by a legacy of slavery, racism and rebellion with a new man, who represents the great progress our people and our state have made, and the love and respect we have for all people. I hope we seize it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article169845812.html

DIacciYUEAEEcM1.jpg

DIacciVUEAAcOc9.jpg

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
David Moon: NCAA among most morally corrupt organizations on this earth

The NCAA’s mission is “to be an integral part of higher education and to focus on the development of student-athletes.” How do Tuesday-night games contribute to that goal? How about fake classes for athletes at the University of North Carolina? At least UNC defended itself against NCAA charges with a grotesque, but rare honest response, claiming that the NCAA lacked jurisdiction over its academic programs. So much for being “an integral part of higher education.”

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/money...orally-corrupt-organizations-earth/612320001/

Reactions: Showenuff
Jay Smith...

Academic Freedom, Meet Big-Time College Sports

Can sports and its money control the curriculum?

By Jay Smith

In the University of North Carolina history department that I have called home for twenty-six years, I have never once been told I could not teach a course I wanted to teach. No colleague ever asked questions and no administrator ever cared.

Until last year, that is. Until I developed a course that addresses the history of big-time college sports and the system’s treatment of the athletes it claims to serve. Now, suddenly, people in the halls of power at UNC care very much about my teaching. They care so much that they recently decided that my right to teach the course next year must give way to other “departmental priorities.” (I say “they” because the party ultimately responsible for the decision, whether dean, provost, chancellor, or sports booster, lacks the courage to own it.)

https://www.aaup.org/article/academic-freedom-meet-big-time-college-sports#.WcB2MnaGOyI

unx relents due to negative PR....

Academic Censorship and Faculty Resistance

They have now given my department chair the permission to place History 383 on the schedule for the spring 2018 semester.

Most important, credit for this unexpected victory over administrative subterfuge must go directly where it belongs: to a successful resistance effort led by impassioned faculty colleagues.

There is no question in my mind that the din of public outrage, and the growing prospect of further public embarrassment, helped convince administrators that their self-inflicted wound at last needed to be cauterized. If there is an encouraging moral to this story, it is this: sometimes faculty resistance works.

https://academeblog.org/2017/09/13/academic-censorship-and-faculty-resistance/

Been about five weeks since the COI hearing so will know something in the next few weeks.Think I would like it to continue longer because I have the sinking feeling that they are going to skate scotfree.Lord I hope that I am wrong

Last edited:
Been about five weeks since the COI hearing so will know something in the next few weeks.Think I would like it to continue longer because I have the sinking feeling that they are going to skate scotfree.Lord I hope that I am wrong

Topps no way they skate my friend....Keep the faith...OFC

KLASSY...

"I will kill him! He will be done!"

"If you want some s*** after the game , be standin' here!"

Can only speak for myself but if I was a unx fan , the LAST person I'd wanna see or hear from is some azzwipe from the Butch Davis era. Hawkins is the "peanut butter an' pepper" guy...

Apparent FBI informant in college basketball scandal had previous ties to UNC athletes

An informant who is said to have helped build the federal case that on Tuesday rocked the college basketball world appears to be a Pittsburgh-based financial adviser who once attempted, in violation of NCAA rules, to lure former North Carolina football players to his financial advising business.

The informant is not identified by name in the documents the Department of Justice released on Tuesday, when it revealed a years-long FBI investigation that has uncovered widespread fraud and corruption in college basketball. According to the Washington Post and ESPN as well an examination of FBI documents related to the case, the informant is identified as Marty Blazer, who in the past has had ties to former UNC football players Chris Hawkins and Greg Little.

Blazer’s apparent role as an FBI informant comes a little more than two years after he surfaced in the state of North Carolina’s case concerning the violation of laws governing sports agents. In that case, the state alleged that Chris Hawkins, a former UNC football player whom the university had banned from its athletic facilities and prohibited from contacting its athletes, violated the state’s sports agent laws.

Investigators determined, according to court documents, that Hawkins and Blazer worked together to induce former UNC football players to sign with a certain agent or financial adviser, Blazer included. Hawkins and Blazer sent each other “numerous” emails discussing payments, or pending payments, to former UNC players while they were in college, according to documents The Associated Press cited.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article175770971.html

Meanwhile, Back At The Other Scandal...

In another scandal note, the New York Times seems to think that UNC could skate after its epic academic fraud.

That notion may be complicated by the indictments the Feds brought against several assistant college basketball coaches Tuesday. On the one hand, the NCAA is going to be busy for awhile. But on the other, letting UNC off the hook might be a bad signal to send under current circumstances and the NCAA has been losing patience with UNC anyway.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.co...e-other-scandal-north-carolina-academic-fraud

Want Louisville expelled from ACC? Then North Carolina should get the boot first

Without minimizing in any way the dumpster fire of scandals that festered at Louisville until things reached meltdown last week, not one thing that has happened at U of L has damaged the credibility of the ACC as much as North Carolina’s actions have in what is commonly known as the “UNC academic fraud scandal.”

Yet all of Louisville’s accumulated tawdriness does not undermine the foundations of the school’s academic integrity in the way that almost 1,500 North Carolina athletes being allowed/encouraged to take academically fraudulent classes for 18 years (1993-2011) does.

What happened in Chapel Hill is even more galling because UNC for decades boasted about its integrity and how “The Carolina Way” was the model for what college sports should be.

The systemic undermining of academic integrity at UNC on behalf of so many athletes has done far more to hurt the credibility of the ACC than all of the Cardinals’ sins.

http://amp.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article176646751.html

Unbelievable. smh...

North Carolina coach Roy Williams on FBI case: Nike 'never helped me get any player'

In the wake of the ongoing federal investigation that rocked the college basketball world last week and implicated shoe companies — namely Adidas — in bribery to high school recruits, North Carolina coach Roy Williams is coming to Nike's defense.

"They've never helped me get any player, never insinuated, never done anything," Williams told ESPN of the shoe enterprise's potential involvement in any wrongdoing. "I've dealt with Nike and Jordan Brand since I came back (to North Carolina), but we never even discuss things like that. So I know it's foreign to me."

"I think that you can't legislate honesty," said Williams. "You can't legislate morality. You just try to get people to do things the right way. Is paying the players the answer? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I don't think that's the answer."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ike-never-helped-me-get-any-player/726511001/

LMAO. Good ol' Roy. Tellin' us all how to do thangz tha right way , dadgummitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT