ADVERTISEMENT

RPI

HeLooks2MuchLikeDave

Cameron Crazy
Dec 1, 2010
Was playing around with the RPI numbers today and I was very surprised to learn that Duke is #3 in the RPI for road and neutral site games. UNC is #23 in that category which is the lowest of the Top 20 teams.

RPI is certainly a flawed system, but that's a reason to be optimistic for March Madness.

It's us against the world. Perhaps that gives some extra motivation for those games.

Reactions: Quavarius
No one is talking about Heels losing 4 road games and 1 neutral. If they "trip" up in tourney then you'll hear it.

Reactions: Quavarius
I was looking at that stuff earlier as well, primarily because I was curious about UNC's 1 seed resume. Duke is not in the 1 seed convo, nor should they be, but why is UNC considered a borderline shoe-in there?

Duke is 2-2 against the RPI top ten. UNC is 1-1

Duke is 10-5 against the RPI top 50. UNC is 8-4.

UNC doesn't have a single road or neutral win over anyone in the RPI top 30. Not one.

I guess it comes down to whether that one loss will knock Gonzaga off the 1 line. Villanova is a lock there, as is Kansas. UCLA and Oregon might be battling for one. Does UNC have an argument over any one of those? Conference tournaments will dictate a lot there.

I was looking at that stuff earlier as well, primarily because I was curious about UNC's 1 seed resume. Duke is not in the 1 seed convo, nor should they be, but why is UNC considered a borderline shoe-in there?

UNC doesn't have a single road or neutral win over anyone in the RPI top 30. Not one.

I guess it comes down to whether that one loss will knock Gonzaga off the 1 line. Villanova is a lock there, as is Kansas. UCLA and Oregon might be battling for one. Does UNC have an argument over any one of those? Conference tournaments will dictate a lot there.
If Duke loses Saturday, and Holes win ACC tourney, they, I believe will be a 1. Hate to say that. I must now go and take a shower. Nova and Kansas are closest to locks for 1 seeds at this moment

The THR argument is if they win the regular season title and the tournament title, there is no way they should be kept from a #1 seed. I tend to agree. The ACC is just way too tough for the regular season champ and tournament champ to not be considered among the top 4 resumes.

Reactions: BluePhil
The THR argument is if they win the regular season title and the tournament title, there is no way they should be kept from a #1 seed. I tend to agree. The ACC is just way too tough for the regular season champ and tournament champ to not be considered among the top 4 resumes.

Totally agree with this. I think Heels are being gushed over too much though. They lost to lowly Duke & don't have one single quality road win. If we pull out a win Sat nite, CH will riot.

100% agree with this. Now lets prevent that form happening!

Reactions: DukeDenver
Carolina played only 4 road games against the Top 10 in the ACC. Lost all 4. Duke played 9 of the Top 10. Duke lost 5. Yet, we win on Saturday, we would have swept Carolina, be one game back in the ACC but the same amount of overall losses and played the much more difficult schedule in conference with tons of injuries and missing the GOAT for a month.

No one is talking about Heels losing 4 road games and 1 neutral. If they "trip" up in tourney then you'll hear it.
I have frankly been shocked by all the UNC love and definitive statements that they are a 1 seed and best team in the country. Last year it was obvious, but this year I absolutely don't see it. They are a good team and probably a tad stronger and consistent than Duke, but I don't see the athleticism this year. Frankly, I think all three Pac 10 teams and Kansas would control them start to finish.

And the definitive 1 talk seems silly. I don't see the big wins and their best ones are all at home.

Oklahoma St in Maui. Notre Dame was in Greensboro. Just saying.

Duke has had it's problems, but that as it may they have been battle tested. If Grayson, and Amile can get a little bit more healthy, then we're definitely a legit contender for the FF.

OFC

exactly! staying healthy is main thing that has been holding us back all year. Absolute absurd the number of injuries we have had

Reactions: hart2chesson
The ACC gets a 1-seed. It is too good of a conference not to

The ACC gets a 1-seed. It is too good of a conference not to
Tar holes are only team available for 1 seed from ACC. They must win tonight and get to finals of tournament. The committee wants to put Holes as a 1. Nova and Kansas are only locks right now.

Reactions: hart2chesson
So the cheats could potentially be a one seed with 7 or 8 losses? I don't buy it.

So the cheats could potentially be a one seed with 7 or 8 losses? I don't buy it.
Bracket nerd Lunardi says yes. He thinks they win tonight, win tournament then get overall 1 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT