ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Barrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Barrett ends up at Duke? Also do you think Duke needs another big?
I think we are certainly in the best position to land him. I do think we need a big but I think we have one that can be more than serviceable in Vrank. That is of course if Ques is no longer here. We shall see but getting Barrett is an elite win in recruiting.

To make this 1000 percent clear:

SoCal can have any favorites he wants. It does not matter to me in any real way, except that we share an interest in Duke basketball.

I was genuinely asking for more information from him about why these particular guys are at the top of his respective favorite lists.

I wasn't looking to offend by saying his choices were "odd." If it helps, I wish I had used "non traditional," or "unusual."

That's it. Just looking to discuss Duke ball. Nothing more. I know if someone asks me "Wait, explain why Shane is your favorite all time Duke basketball player?" I'm happy to write paragraphs about it.

And I'd still be happy to read an explanation. I like talking Duke basketball with people.

Dude, stfu! No one cares. Where I got both of my degrees from means nothing - it's apparent, yet again, that you're reaching. It's beyond pathetic at this point.

Reactions: pisgah101
Babies-Fighting-Getty-Images-640x504.png

I think we are certainly in the best position to land him. I do think we need a big but I think we have one that can be more than serviceable in Vrank. That is of course if Ques is no longer here. We shall see but getting Barrett is an elite win in recruiting.

Good to hear tim (about Barrett).

What do you think about our chances with Zion at this point?

I don't like to get overly excited cause it hurts when it doesn't work out buttttttt

@adamrowetdd

Coach K and @jeffcapel were at RJ Barrett's school today. Decision expected soon for nation's #1 player duke.247sports.com/Article/RJ-Bar…

I don't like to get overly excited cause it hurts when it doesn't work out buttttttt

@adamrowetdd

Coach K and @jeffcapel were at RJ Barrett's school today. Decision expected soon for nation's #1 player duke.247sports.com/Article/RJ-Bar…
I'm with ya, but I feel good about our chances

I think we are in fine shape
Quick question. Do you think Duke might consider going after Bol Bol? He’s a 7-1 center worth pursuing IMO. He was being recruited heavily by Arizona and with what’s looming at Arizona, I highly doubt he goes there. uk is also getting in on his recruitment.

Quick question. Do you think Duke might consider going after Bol Bol? He’s a 7-1 center worth pursuing IMO. He was being recruited heavily by Arizona and with what’s looming at Arizona, I highly doubt he goes there. uk is also getting in on his recruitment.
Haven't heard a single thing about Duke going after Bol Bol. But i get your theory: we will need a big next year, we are scorching hot recruiting right now, and Arizona could be in a pickle soon. Makes sense to me.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
I hope not. We need to get a big that will definitely stay for several years and develop him. I like the one and done talent Duke gets, but we must not forget there's no price tag that can be put on leadership either.

K doesn't have time to develop players he knows his time is short. Imo I think he coach his current contract out 2020 gives him 3 seasons including this 1. Also makes 40 seasons at Duke at 73 years old you best believe 18 and 19 recruiting classes he's going hard after elite talent.

Do you believe in developing talent at all, or should Duke just get the elite talent and see what happens every year? Do the names Cook, Zoubek, Thomas...mean anything? To be good, a team needs veteran leadership, Period.
Cook= 4 star, rated top 30 by every agency.
Zoubek= 5 star, rated top 25 by every agency.
Thomas= 4 star, rated top 50 by every agency.
Not to mention, all 3 guys played regular rotation minutes (when healthy) even early on in their careers, Zoubek a little less so than the others.

I love Vrank, but Vrank is an unranked 3 star recruit who hasn't really given us any meaningful minutes. So yes, I think its completely unfair to compare Vrank to those 3. I'm not sure we have ever had an unkown 3-star guy actually play regular minutes, and I still think Vrank may get there as a senior, as a backup rotation guy.

And for the record, yes I think Duke should as much elite talent as they can every year, sprinkled in with multi-year guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: LH24ND
I know a lot has been said that RJ will announce in the early signing period but that's over a month away, so is that what is considered as "soon" or is it now expected that he's ready to announce in a week or so?

He is down to 3.
Duke, Kentucky and Oregan. He has a strong connection to each. Duke & Kentucky he watched and followed growing up and Oregan is a pipeline for other Canadians.

If he comes to Duke, IMO, it closes the door on Zion (and Garland) which I think is OK. Duke just needs to add another big. A class of Cam, RJ, Tre and a big would be fine when mixed with the returning guys.

Line up of
Tre
RJ
Cam
Javin
Vrank

Bench
Jordan G
Alex
Jordan T
Jack
Big

Reactions: LH24ND
I know a lot has been said that RJ will announce in the early signing period but that's over a month away, so is that what is considered as "soon" or is it now expected that he's ready to announce in a week or so?

He is down to 3.
Duke, Kentucky and Oregan. He has a strong connection to each. Duke & Kentucky he watched and followed growing up and Oregan is a pipeline for other Canadians.

If he comes to Duke, IMO, it closes the door on Zion (and Garland) which I think is OK. Duke just needs to add another big. A class of Cam, RJ, Tre and a big would be fine when mixed with the returning guys.

Line up of
Tre
RJ
Cam
Javin
Vrank

Bench
Jordan G
Alex
Jordan T
Jack
Big
It has been said here we aren't necessarily in good shape with Garland, but how does RJ Barrett coming (6'7 SF) affect Darius Garland (6'1 PG)?

Garland doesn't want to be the 4th or 5th option and playing off the ball with stones running pg. Indiana is the favorite and a package deal with romeo Langford

He is down to 3.

Line up of
Tre
RJ
Cam
Javin
Vrank

Bench
Jordan G
Alex
Jordan T
Jack
Big

I think rj, jordan and cam on the wings with javin at the 5 bring vrank off the bench

I think Vrank will be fine, especially with the talent 1-4....

Optimistic take... it's rare for K and Duke to run such a low ranked player (Vrank was 247 on Rivals) at all, much less as a starter. While everyone is loyal to Duke guys, and Vrank might surprise (he comes from good lineage!) I think you should have more realistic expectations.

No offense to anyone, but why does so many people think we Must have a team of one and dones to contend? Are we saying Duke can't have a 3 star, or how many ever stars are beside his name, and have him work real hard and become a solid contributor after a couple years?
Other programs do it, and our staff is top notch, right?
I see Vrank being at least as good as Marshall Plumlee was, if given the same opportunity as he had, and in no way am I cutting down how important MP3 was to the program. Plus our "lower tier kids" get to practice against the best every day.
Basketball isn't rocket science, and heart should account for something, which MP3 had as much as 10 men.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
No offense to anyone, but why does so many people think we Must have a team of one and dones to contend? Are we saying Duke can't have a 3 star, or how many ever stars are beside his name, and have him work real hard and become a solid contributor after a couple years?
I see Vrank being at least as good as Marshall Plumlee was, if given the same opportunity as he had, and in no way am I cutting down how important MP3 was to the program. Plus our "lower tier kids" get to practice against the best every day.
Basketball isn't rocket science, and heart should account for something, which MP3 had as much as 10 men.
Frank was ranked 227 (247sports). MP3 was ranked 62 (same).
I think what most people feel is guys in the same range as MP3 can CERTAINLY contribute and it wouldn't be a bad thing to sprinkle those guys in with top 15 talent. But to think a guy ranked where Frank is can consistently contribute at Duke is probably not realistic. I like Frank a lot. I hope he plays some. I hope we don't start taking a bunch of guys ranked >200 to sprinkle in with the top talent.
Guys with limitations who have contributed the last few years and their rank:
Cook (33)
Amile (30)
Matt Jones (38)

Other notables:
Grayson (25)
Javin (40)

Lol because 4-star guys who stay multiple years are "working their butts off" just as much as the unranked 3-star guy.

I don't see how you can see Vrank being as good as Marshall, one because Vrank hasn't played, so how do we know? And two, Marshall was exceptional at things that didn't show up in a box score, setting screens, talking on D, etc.

Why would we want to be like other programs when we are Duke and can just get the best players every year?

There is that age old argument, young top talent vs experienced lesser talent. I think everyone probably wants a mix of both, but I am sure everyone hopes that the experienced lesser talent eventually blossoms into starter-worthy, like Marshall did. Not every talent does, but some do.

Lol because 4-star guys who stay multiple years are "working their butts off" just as much as the unranked 3-star guy.

I don't see how you can see Vrank being as good as Marshall, one because Vrank hasn't played, so how do we know? And two, Marshall was exceptional at things that didn't show up in a box score, setting screens, talking on D, etc.

Why would we want to be like other programs when we are Duke and can just get the best players every year?
So Tre, Cam, and possibly Barrett aren't enough to win with Javin and Vrank, we must have another 5 star, got it Ace. Wow.
When did we get to the point to where some people's mentality is that we have to load up with studs, and we can't win unless we have a roster full of one and dones? At the same point in their careers, Vrank is as good as Marshall was, and I don't care where he was rated coming out of high school. Remember that what works in NBA doesn't mean it works in college.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
I don't even know what the hell Show is talking about (I have suspicions) but I'm excited about it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT