ADVERTISEMENT

Potential portal players

I would prefer if folks not give sh*t to those who bring info. I think we are all grown enough to understand that situations are fluid and that how somebody feels on Monday, may not be how they feel on Friday. Also, when you make unequivocal statements, please have the decency to at least say its just your opinion, if it is indeed, an opinion and not based on info from any source. Thank you

Bravo...and good luck :) its an internet forum...100% agree

Reactions: Fourteen44
I mean, we all want the same thing; Trevor back. It is such a key to next year's success with a very young team. If we get Mosley that will be as good or close to it; but other than Green there are not many guys left in the portal who would give us what a soph. Keels would. And the competition is fierce for those 2 guys.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Just watched some AJ Green footage. I like him. Not a great athlete, but a good shooter, smart player, 6-4, with good ball handling skills. He could play PG as well as SG. Is testing the draft, and may play for his father. But he would be a nice get if Keels stays in the draft. Green is currently a late second round pick. (maybe)

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboSlice00
I haven't seen Mosley on any mock drafts, so he should return to college. Unless he has great workouts.

Last edited:
Mosley's release sometimes looks funky, almost like he's throwing a shot put. Guess I shouldn't be too critical. He has some of the best shooting splits in the country. Honestly can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that was shooting 50-40-90.

I try to follow recruiting as much as I can so I'm fully aware of where Paul VI is. Like I've said numerous times just today, Keels coming back was something that I thought was a pipe dream at best, but it sounds like those closer to the situation found there was a realistic shot of him coming back. That didn't happen and I think the roster is still in good shape. All of this to say, atleast for now, you were wrong about Keels coming back.
I wasn’t wrong, what I heard was wrong. But regardless, you said there was no chance which was wrong. Hell, that’s technically wrong today as he is keeping things open lol according to the staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Well it’s clear your friend wasn’t as close to the situation as he thought .
No biggie . Move on it happens these are simply kids with dreams of their own .
He’s actually close with Keels family so.....but you’re not realizing it changed literally within 18 hours.

I do agree though, the kids need to do what’s best for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
Look here I was simply saying that he himself said he wanted to return to Duke you need to slow your role ! I’ve seen nothing on this board from you that says you have an inside track to anything automatic on a players situation at Duke .it’s all opinionated . As for Zion look at his interview on K’s pod cast where Zion clearly said he wanted to return but K told him he needed to go especially since he was going to be the top pick. Just like Scheyer told Keels he supported him with his decision. What do think a coach is actually going to tell a kid to stay when he’s predicted late first to early second round .
Yea you compared the two from what I see - I just don’t get that benchmark lol

Last edited:
Yea you compared the two from what I see - I just don’t get that benchmark lol
I compared the two because both loved Duke, We know Zion wanted to come back because he said so out his own mouth and loved Duke. Just like some say Keels loves Duke and wanted to come back . In the end both left . That’s why I compared them . Somewhere down the line Keels got told he could go on the first round . IMO that’s why he entered . Zion was the number one pick . Same reason he left .

Reactions: christophero
If he does well at the tryouts, and cements a first round pick, why should he come back? Just to be like the UNX guys? I wouldn't if I were he.

Without that kind of performance, I think he comes back. I hate to root against him...

Reactions: christophero
I imagine they will be evaluating his lateral quickness and his shooting. I just don't see the level of polish from Keels compared to, say, Frank Jackson or Trent. I think he needs another year, but I am also biased. Guys in that early second round tend to return, although there are always exceptions, esp. at Duke. He does have an NBA build. He could have a Kennard type year if he returns.

Duke will know with in the next two to three weeks so it’s a topic that can be laid to rest until then.

Someone posted a while back that the worst case scenario would be Keels testing the waters and staying in at the last minute, killing any chance for a replacement. I don't think it will play out that way, but it could. I'll stick to my Keels is likely coming back theory. Kansas is hot after Mosley so he's not a sure thing by any means. And AJ Green is likely playing for his dad.

Last edited:
It's always dicey trying to interpret these things. But Jon bringing it up unprompted seems to imply there is a chance Keels returns and he is testing rather than all in. But that could change if Keels gets good feedback.

I've been watching the mock nba drafts for a while now and Keels is pretty consistently, but not universally, listed at the bottom of round 1. A few mock drafts have him in the 30-40 range. I don't see him coming back if he expects to go in round one and I couldn't blame him. But, unlike Wendell, who should strike while the iron is hot, I can see Keels improving his draft stock with one more year at Duke if he can show improved shooting and decision making and handles. So, if he thinks he's more likely to end up in round two than round one, I could see him possibly returning. With no inside info at all, I'm going with 80/20 he leaves for the NBA.

It's really hard to say. Looking at it in a vacuum, it's probably 50/50. But as a duke player probably 70/30 that he goes, or even 60/40. It seems like these guys will hang onto any good news they get. I've seen Trevor late first and early second. Our guys tend to go in that zone, but maybe Trevor is different. I think Mark and Moore would have been late second round or undrafted last year.
I'm curious where Lofton Jr. ends up. he is testing the draft but should come back.

Last edited:
Trevor is gone. He got news that made him feel really good. Let’s get another SG!!

🤞

I compared the two because both loved Duke, We know Zion wanted to come back because he said so out his own mouth and loved Duke. Just like some say Keels loves Duke and wanted to come back . In the end both left . That’s why I compared them . Somewhere down the line Keels got told he could go on the first round . IMO that’s why he entered . Zion was the number one pick . Same reason he left .
One was gone from day 1, the other isn’t 100% sure weeks after season end.....

One was gone from day 1, the other isn’t 100% sure weeks after season end.....
Thats opinionated. I’ve always felt that Trevor chose Duke over Villanova once steward left because of exposure and their track record for the pros and if given the chance to be OAD he would be . So while some say he was always a multi year player you really can’t say that about any top fifty recruit that attends Duke University. And you still can’t because there’s not one person with certainty that can say he will return to Duke and can any one blame him . If he’s in the first round he should go . He’s not going in the lottery next year but possibly can improve to early first .
can’t nobody say outside of the money , Zion leaving after one year has benefitted him out side of currency because of his injury history

I certainly wouldn't blame him for going. Keels is the type of guy we have traditionally lost, like Trent and Jackson, and it would be really nice to get a guy like that back. Williams and Moore both improved their draft stock by returning. Neither were a sure thing last year. Moore is sliding to the second round in some mocks, but he should go early second round at worst.

Last edited:
One thing from looking at his workouts is he looks like he has shed 15 pounds. And working with the guys he's been working with, I'd lean to him staying in the draft. Id be happily wrong tho.

One thing from looking at his workouts is he looks like he has shed 15 pounds. And working with the guys he's been working with, I'd lean to him staying in the draft. Id be happily wrong tho.
Yeah looking at that video you’d have to assume that is the kind of work teams love to see with him. Selfishly it sucks for us haha but wish him well.

Thats opinionated. I’ve always felt that Trevor chose Duke over Villanova once steward left because of exposure and their track record for the pros and if given the chance to be OAD he would be . So while some say he was always a multi year player you really can’t say that about any top fifty recruit that attends Duke University. And you still can’t because there’s not one person with certainty that can say he will return to Duke and can any one blame him . If he’s in the first round he should go . He’s not going in the lottery next year but possibly can improve to early first .
can’t nobody say outside of the money , Zion leaving after one year has benefitted him out side of currency because of his injury history
Opinionated? You think Zion actually planned or even considered to return? 😂. Thank you for clarifying my stance!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT