ADVERTISEMENT

Potential portal players

I hope our guys make decisions to stay or go. While it is certainly their right to do so, Keels and Moore have a good idea where they will be drafted. If one or two of them test the waters, by the time they decide it may be too late to get a really good transfer.
Duke is already looking at the portal . Don’t be surprised if it goes the same way as last season . Graduate transfers wanting to play for a title.

Interesting. Wonder who Bates goes to. He had a train wreck of a season but I wouldn't write him off just yet. I suppose MSU would be the favorite, unless Izzo holds a grudge.

Interesting. Wonder who Bates goes to. He had a train wreck of a season but I wouldn't write him off just yet. I suppose MSU would be the favorite, unless Izzo holds a grudge.
Can’t see him going there.

Bates needs to master his skills. If Bates was willing to come off the bench I would gladly take him.

Actually, I believe Bates is too young to enter the draft this year and was either going to play two seasons in college or play in the G-League.
Age doesn’t matter unless you aren’t a year removed from high school. As long as you graduated high school and a year removed ( meaning gleague , college, overseas, or preparing for the draft ) you are draft eligible.

"Because Bates turned 18 in January, he is not eligible for the 2022 NBA draft. In addition to transferring to another school, he could also choose to play in the G League or for Overtime Elite for one year before going to the NBA."

Reactions: Fourteen44
He could fight it if he wanted to. He is a year removed from high school and has one year of college under his belt . There is no rule stating how long you must remain in college . At 18 you can join the military and in most states considered an adult . A case easily won . He has followed all the rules except being at the age of 19. It is also something that has to be considered with allowing kids to reclassify. I don’t think that’s right

Sounds like he would've been able to declare if his birthday was a month earlier, but he just turned 18 in July.

The player (A) is or will be at least nineteen (19) years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held, and (B) with respect to a player who is not an international player (defined below), at least one (1) NBA Season has elapsed since the player’s graduation from high school (or, if the player did not graduate from high school, since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school)

Sounds like he would've been able to declare if his birthday was a month earlier, but he just turned 18 in July.

The player (A) is or will be at least nineteen (19) years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held, and (B) with respect to a player who is not an international player (defined below), at least one (1) NBA Season has elapsed since the player’s graduation from high school (or, if the player did not graduate from high school, since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school)

Yeah but I think this is why the NCAA needs a complete overhaul.

Wasn’t it just a year or two ago that people were talking about Bates being the best prospect in a decade? Curious to see how he grows next year. With that said, I don’t see him at Duke but likely somewhere like MSU or Michigan.

Yeah but I think this is why the NCAA needs a complete overhaul.
I'm confused. This is an NBA rule, the NCAA has nothing to do with it. But I do agree with you on that overall. The NCAA is a mess.

Wasn’t it just a year or two ago that people were talking about Bates being the best prospect in a decade? Curious to see how he grows next year. With that said, I don’t see him at Duke but likely somewhere like MSU or Michigan.
Bates is an interesting case. He was number one in his class, but has fallen completely off draft boards. I've only seen highlights but the word is he doesn't shoot well and doesn't play defense. Still a lot of talent there. Could be a guy who blows up in year 2 or 3, but he will probably go to the G League and then enter the draft. He is only 18. I know he has entered the portal, but he is probably just keeping his options open. I admit I am speculating. He seems to be lacking fundamentals. He probably should have gone to a prep school with a good coach instead of enrolling early.

Last edited:
There have been other guys over the past decade or so that have been cast in a huge light. Harrison Barnes was heralded as the next great as was Jabari Parker. We know that Parker has had two serious knee/ACL injuries and wasn't the same.

It just seems that when a player comes up and is earmarked as the next Kobe or LeBron, they have a hard time living up to that moniker.

I'm confused. This is an NBA rule, the NCAA has nothing to do with it. But I do agree with you on that overall. The NCAA is a mess.
Because the NCAA allows these kids to come early and the second half of the NBA rule does state a year removed from highs school graduation . It’s to the point now why I see kids choosing the gleague , overseas and the Kevin Ollie team . The age of 19 makes no sense if you satisfied the second portion of the rule .
How was josh primo allowed to enter the draft last year? He was 18 at the time he was selected by the Spurs and he played at Alabama ?

You've got your stuff mixed up on this one. It wouldn't matter where a kid played... NCAA, g league, overseas... if they don't turn 19 in the same calendar year as the draft, they can't go. I'm not arguing in favor of the rule, it's just the rule the nba has in place currently.

And Primo was 18 but was set to turn 19 in the same calendar year of the draft, that's why he could go.

The player is or will be at least nineteen (19) years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held

You've got your stuff mixed up on this one. It wouldn't matter where a kid played... NCAA, g league, overseas... if they don't turn 19 in the same calendar year as the draft, they can't go. I'm not arguing in favor of the rule, it's just the rule the nba has in place currently.

And Primo was 18 but was set to turn 19 in the same calendar year of the draft, that's why he could go.

The player is or will be at least nineteen (19) years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held
Yeah I meant to go back and say Nevermind. He enrolled when he was 17 and just turned 18 this year won’t be 19 until 2023. Primo turned 19 in December after the draft .
That’s why the gleague and the Kevin Ollie team is making noise because kids can stay there making money until draft eligibility

True, NIL and marketing/tv exposure are the only things the NCAA can do to combat it.

Reactions: sheyduke
He looks like Scheyer haha
47 percent from 3? Sign him up!
He (Baylor S) reminds me of Taylor King. And I mean Taylor King when he was hitting. And unlike King he is a very good passer. Crazy range as well. Had 18 and 10 in the tournament loss to Providence.

Last edited:
Baylor is testing the NBA waters but I haven't seen him on mock drafts. Heck of a shooter. Small school but I imagine he could start for duke. Has tournament experience. Would be a junior. 6-5, 205.

Green looks good. Sounds like we've talked to him. Green and the Northwestern banger would increase my optimism for next year substantially. He may play for his dad but you never know. 6-4 sharpshooter.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Green looks good. Sounds like we've talked to him. Green and the Northwestern banger would increase my optimism for next year substantially. He may play for his dad but you never know. 6-4 sharpshooter.
Really good shot at getting Young from Northwestern. Green is expected to play for his dad at Iowa State. We're a dark horse candidate. I think reaching out to Baylor tells us that we're not confident in Green coming.

Reactions: christophero
Baylor could possibly be an upgrade from Keels for next year. Debatable I know, and I could care less who will be the best pro as I don't follow the NBA. Next year. Keels is probably a better defender though. But Baylor was the reason people were saying Providence was an upset pick in the first round. But I'd rather have Keels back as he's already played for Duke. Baylor would be a great consolation prize.

Last edited:
Better pray Lively is a dominant rim-protector if Baylor is guarding guys out on the perimeter. However, given the other options, I think Baylor is who I want the most.

Reactions: christophero
I would say Baylor and the kid from Northwestern would be nice additions.
If we got those 2, we would be similar to this year's team on paper. That would fill 2 huge needs, and provide experience. Young is visiting Duke this weekend. Lock him up! He has 2 years of eligibility left.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT