ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Gameball Duke vs. Left in Our Wake - Part II

Who gets the gameball?

• Grayson Allen: 17 pts - 4 reb - 6 ast (two of the most beautiful I have seen this year) - 3 stl

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • Wendell "Anything Bags can do I can do better" Carter, Jr.: 23 pts - 12 reb - 2 ast - 1 stl - 2 blk

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • "Marvelous" Marvin Bagley, III.: 16 pts - 11 reb - 1 ast - 3 stl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gary "Out of the trenches" Trent, Jr.: 19 pts - 1 ast - 1 stl

• HONORABLE MENTION: Alex O'Connell : 7 pts with a beautiful steal and two handed jam!

• Total voters

BluePhil

Cameron Crazy
Jan 28, 2008
Solid Defensive effort in forcing the turnovers. We had them very discombobulated at times. Yes we did let them get some momentum a couple of times, but never let it catch up to us.

Bagley for having a statistically abysmal first half came on nicely in the second. O'Connell added some nice spark to our team and some nice scoring.

Duval looked like crap tonight. He took 5 bad shots (out of his 8), only two assists and was just out of control.

Despite Duval effectively taking the night off, and Bagley being low (for him) the game was never in doubt. Not bad for a road game.

Reactions: GillJET
Really tough pick for me. Wendell was a man child. His game has taken on a more prominent role and I love the response we’re seeing.

But, Grayson. Duval was an absolute no-show last night and Grayson took reign. I’m not sure there’s a better ‘backup’ point guard in the country. Plus, seeing Grayson get a little mojo back was important for him. He’s going to need to be every bit as good Saturday vs. the Wahoos.

I’m going with the senior.

Reactions: timo0402 and dbav
I took Grayson even though Wendell is my favorite player on this team. I thought he really set the tone early when we were struggling.

Reactions: df64
I thought the overall defense deserved the game-ball most, nobody stood out on that end, but we always had 5 guys playing together and communicating.

50/50 between Wendell and Grayson, Wendell had the better game and put up the better numbers, but Grayson set the tone early. Think I gotta go Grayson here because Duval was a complete no-show, Grayson took great care of the ball in the 2nd half, probably would have scored 20 if Duval wasn't a no-show.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Carter was so good, and is so good. I'm going with Grayson though. One heck of an overall game. He led the boys in Duval's mental absence. We are so lucky to have Grayson. The kid has grown up so much.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Have to go with Grayson in this one. His passing, diving on the floor, and just overall leadership was just great to watch. His shot is coming back and he will find his range. Shout out to Carter, great game, and the defense, for the most part, was very active.
Go Duke!
OFC

Wendell put up 23 points on 9 shots. Plus 12 rebounds, a steal, a couple of blocks, a couple of assists, and playing well both halves...

Plus, I think he was the only Duke player to play above what I'd expect from him. I expect Grayson to take care of the ball, score high teens, and get a handful of assists. I expect Marvin to get 20 and 10 without breaking a sweat. I expect Gary to score in the teens with at least 40% shooting.

But 23 and 12 on only 9 shots? Plus, drawing all those fouls to get Wake's big men in trouble? Wendell overachieved. He gets my vote.

Wendell put up 23 points on 9 shots. Plus 12 rebounds, a steal, a couple of blocks, a couple of assists, and playing well both halves...

Plus, I think he was the only Duke player to play above what I'd expect from him. I expect Grayson to take care of the ball, score high teens, and get a handful of assists. I expect Marvin to get 20 and 10 without breaking a sweat. I expect Gary to score in the teens with at least 40% shooting.

But 23 and 12 on only 9 shots? Plus, drawing all those fouls to get Wake's big men in trouble? Wendell overachieved. He gets my vote.

It's hard to argue with that assessment. But you know I will. ;)

My vote went to Grayson. That's in no way meant to undervalue what Wendell did whatsoever. Grayson's job is more than taking care of the ball, scoring in the teens and having some assists. Last night he was also asked to do more playing on the ball because Trevon struggled. In addition, Grayson has struggled with his shot, but he's never let it impact the rest of the game, except maybe at State. I thought he was incredibly adept at picking his spots last night. Grayson has struggled at time the last two years in a 'leadership' role....and I think the last two weeks he's excelled at it while not shooting particularly well.

Reactions: DukeJim99
I’m going Wendell. I thought he got the most key buckets in this game. Plus his rebounding and defense. Very very happy with Grayson’s performance too.

It's hard to argue with that assessment. But you know I will. ;)

My vote went to Grayson. That's in no way meant to undervalue what Wendell did whatsoever. Grayson's job is more than taking care of the ball, scoring in the teens and having some assists. Last night he was also asked to do more playing on the ball because Trevon struggled. In addition, Grayson has struggled with his shot, but he's never let it impact the rest of the game, except maybe at State. I thought he was incredibly adept at picking his spots last night. Grayson has struggled at time the last two years in a 'leadership' role....and I think the last two weeks he's excelled at it while not shooting particularly well.

I feel like you're undervaluing Wendell's clutchness in repeatedly denying the Wake fans their free chicken sandwiches. That alone should get him the game ball. ;)

We should give the gameball to Trevon so he doesn't feel so bad.

Have we had a game yet w/o at least one double-double?

Carter had a strong game, but I have got to go with Grayson. He did just about everything!!!
OFC

We’ve had 3 games where neither Bagley or Carter had a double double

Pitt
Evansville
Furman
Furman: Bagley 29 minutes, Carter 24.
Evansville: Bagley 25 minutes, Carter 19.
Pitt: Bagley 29 minutes, Carter 30.

All 3 of these games they played limited minutes due to easy victories.

Ah, thanks. How quickly (the royal) we forget.
No problem, I was a tad surprised that there have been 3 games where neither of them had a double double but like jwill133 said they played limited minutes in those games, so that had a lot to do with them not having double doubles in those games. Bagley’s only other game where he didn’t have a double double was the game against Michigan State where he only played 10 minutes. It’s crazy (in a good way) to think that we’re very likely going to end up having 2 players break Duke’s freshman record for double doubles in the same season.

I went with Grayson, he did what a captain is supposed to do and that's set the tone for the younger troops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT