ADVERTISEMENT

Point Guard Play

AlanInNJ

Cameron Crazy
Feb 25, 2014
After a few games, I am interested to see how the PG role develops. I assumed going into the season that Roach was our guy. He seems to be playing a lot more at the 2, and he has shown the ability to get to the rim which I love. But it seems Moore and Keels have been grabbing the bulk of the PG minutes with even Banchero bringing the ball up at times. It sure looks to me like we are not going to have that pass-first, assist minded PG this year. Do you think K will eventually lock in on one of these guys to play point? Or will it be by committee all year?

Since we have at least 3-4 guys who can play point, it's more important to me that we have a guy who can guard the opposing point guard and keep him out of the lane on every possession. I think Roach does a decent job on that, better than several we've had lately. If he can learn to work with John and Williams on the pick and roll, our defense is elite. So I'm satisfied with PG by committee on offense, Roach on defense.

Since we have at least 3-4 guys who can play point, it's more important to me that we have a guy who can guard the opposing point guard and keep him out of the lane on every possession. I think Roach does a decent job on that, better than several we've had lately. If he can learn to work with John and Williams on the pick and roll, our defense is elite. So I'm satisfied with PG by committee on offense, Roach on defense.
Brilliant post!. Duke's biggest problem last year was slowing down the opposition PG. Even if Roach is much stronger this year- I don't know if he is- the Committee approach is the way to go. Blake's appears to potentially be outstanding as a defensive PG, and Moore is certainly capable

Reactions: KDSTONE
Jon/Nolan PG duties this year. This is the best comparison. Keels/Moore/Roach will handle the ball, but their first option is to look for PB, Williams and their own shot!

Offensively we don’t really have a point guard. It’s whoever gets it runs the offense. It honestly doesn’t matter. We just need to make sure Paolo gets the ball in his areas

Reactions: geddoughton23
Agreed, by committee. Roach seems like the most natural pg but Moore and Roach are true hybrid/combo guards and facilitate as needed too.

I will also say that Blakes seems confident which I like. Can’t wait to watch him grow.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Define point guard. John was a 2 guard playing the point and we won it all. Granted, John played an exceptionally smart and disciplined game and probably had a good assist to turnover ratio. But, he was not a true point.

He couldn't do a lot of things that people want from a PG, like blowing past guys and breaking down defenses. He was very good overall on D, but couldn't overwhelm the other team's ball handlers.

John was effective at the position because he excelled at what he could do and kept to his strengths. The team excelled because they all did well in thei respective roles and had just enough versatility in John, Nolan, and Kyle. Also, that team became great when they started consistently playing great D.

If Roach and his teammates do the same, this will be a great team.

Reactions: skysdad
Define point guard. John was a 2 guard playing the point and we won it all. Granted, John played an exceptionally smart and disciplined game and probably had a good assist to turnover ratio. But, he was not a true point.

He couldn't do a lot of things that people want from a PG, like blowing past guys and breaking down defenses. He was very good overall on D, but couldn't overwhelm the other team's ball handlers.

John was effective at the position because he excelled at what he could do and kept to his strengths. The team excelled because they all did well in thei respective roles and had just enough versatility in John, Nolan, and Kyle. Also, that team became great when they started consistently playing great D.

If Roach and his teammates do the same, this will be a great team.
And they became great when lance and Zoubs started rebounding the hell out of it too

It was a perfect blend: high % offensive rebounding with 4, 3 point shooters in Scheyer, Smith, singler, Dawkins.

I remember when Dawkins calmed things late in 1st half against Baylor in the E8 - off rebounds and a vital 3!

And they became great when lance and Zoubs started rebounding the hell out of it too
That’s my only concern thus far this year. Good thing is most of it is mental and doesn’t involve “confidence” or anything like that. Our half court 0 has to get better so we can crash the boards more too though…

Reactions: KDSTONE
I don’t want to see another year when we rely on getting easy points to win.

John was great. That was my point. Not necessarily everything you'd want in a PG but very good in everything he did do. One of his greatest strengths is that he didn't bother with what he wasn't good at.
Many questioned him being able to run the point. Understandably so in some respects. In the end, they didn't know Jack and they certainly didn't know John.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT