ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kayak fishing

DukefanKY

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 4, 2011
Central Ky
i have a pontoon that I do a lot of catfish jugging out of, but I’ve been wanting to get into the tail waters below the dam and go after some Sauger and Trout. I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on kayak fishing and it looks pretty interesting. A lot of them are in the ocean. Don’t think I wanna be in the ocean in a kayak just yet, but I’m gonna give the tail waters a shot. I am a researcher when it comes to buying stuff, so after several days of reviews and videos, I finally have one ordered. The kind you pedal.

So....any of you already doing this? Any tips, tricks, suggestions?

Do tons of kayaking both in GA and NY. Pedals a good choice for fishing, obviously leaving the arms free for more important fishing work. I've seen and used dozens of different setups for rod and gear storage, and it comes down to personal choice. There are some kayak fishing forums out there who get pretty nuts about that stuff.

ALWAYS wear your life vest. Kayak fishermen get cited by DEC much more than regular paddlers, and don't leave your license at home if one is required where you fish.

OFC

Reactions: DukefanKY
I have quite a bit of knowledge about this. Might want a wetsuit to wear when there is a chance of going in when water is cold. Wouldn’t make it otherwise if far from shore. Fully tricked out pedal one seems the best

What’s wrong with kayak fishing in the ocea

FDF566-AD-AAB5-43-A2-ACD4-12-F50-F59088-B.jpg

i have a pontoon that I do a lot of catfish jugging out of, but I’ve been wanting to get into the tail waters below the dam and go after some Sauger and Trout. I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on kayak fishing and it looks pretty interesting. A lot of them are in the ocean. Don’t think I wanna be in the ocean in a kayak just yet, but I’m gonna give the tail waters a shot. I am a researcher when it comes to buying stuff, so after several days of reviews and videos, I finally have one ordered. The kind you pedal.

Dukefan ky a lot of kayak fishing down here in NC is done in the water ways of the ocean and is real fun . I’ve always wanted to try it in the calmer mountain streams for fly fishing but I’m not that good at fly fishing yet lol. I’ve been stuck in my fair share of bushes and rocks on the being back.

Thanks for all the replies.
I absolutely won’t go without a life vest.
I have a lot of fishing experience. I used to be president of a local bass club here, but no kayak experience. I’m looking forward to it.

Ipsy, you are a sick sick dude, and NO chance on the wetsuit pics!!

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Do tons of kayaking both in GA and NY. Pedals a good choice for fishing, obviously leaving the arms free for more important fishing work. I've seen and used dozens of different setups for rod and gear storage, and it comes down to personal choice. There are some kayak fishing forums out there who get pretty nuts about that stuff.

ALWAYS wear your life vest. Kayak fishermen get cited by DEC much more than regular paddlers, and don't leave your license at home if one is required where you fish.

OFC

I had forgotten about but I remember now from the book your wife wrote that y’all are big into kayaking

Reactions: Willcampbell
Hahahahaha. All my yaking has been in the river. And didn’t involve much fishing ;)

It's not the boat it's the fisherman. At the lake where I work we have some fisherman that have 30,000 dollar plus boats with the best equipment that one can put on a fishing boat. They have deopthe finders, equipment that locates fish and lures and rod and reels that cost a lot of money. Sometimes they go out and not even get a bite but they also will tell you they hooked a large mouth bass which had to weigh 12 pounds or more and broke the line just as they were about to net it. The best fisherman that comes out to the lake by far is a man named Guy Sellars. He is about 5'9" tall and weighs close to 350 pounds or more. The boat he uses is what we refer to as a jon boat more commonly known as a row boat He puts a trolling motor on it along with two strong batteries and off he goes. He doesn't win all the tournaments but more than anyone else. He doesn't talk about the ones that got away because I guess none get away.OFC

It's not the boat it's the fisherman. At the lake where I work we have some fisherman that have 30,000 dollar plus boats with the best equipment that one can put on a fishing boat. They have deopthe finders, equipment that locates fish and lures and rod and reels that cost a lot of money. Sometimes they go out and not even get a bite but they also will tell you they hooked a large mouth bass which had to weigh 12 pounds or more and broke the line just as they were about to net it. The best fisherman that comes out to the lake by far is a man named Guy Sellars. He is about 5'9" tall and weighs close to 350 pounds or more. The boat he uses is what we refer to as a jon boat more commonly known as a row boat He puts a trolling motor on it along with two strong batteries and off he goes. He doesn't win all the tournaments but more than anyone else. He doesn't talk about the ones that got away because I guess none get away.OFC

Haha I love this!

Reactions: skysdad
There’s no sharks in KY (unless the water is brackish) so you will probably be ok if you stick with catfish or gar fishing.

There’s no sharks in KY (unless the water is brackish) so you will probably be ok if you stick with catfish or gar fishing.

I used to watch that show “swamp people”., where they catch the gators. I think I can do it!
I have a boat, I have some rope, and I have a rifle....looks pretty straight forward on TV!

Reactions: FearTheBeard

Absolutely a fantastic , fun way to fish, flyfish specifically. You made a great choice by buying a kayak that you can pedal. I am assuming you bought a Hobie or Jackson. You are in for a real good time. Enjoy.

Absolutely a fantastic , fun way to fish, flyfish specifically. You made a great choice by buying a kayak that you can pedal. I am assuming you bought a Hobie or Jackson. You are in for a real good time. Enjoy.

Thanks for your comment. I did a ton of research on which one to get. I ended up getting at old town model. Some others I really liked were the Jackson Coosa FD and the Native slayer propel.

You may want to start in some flat water first, a pond or lake, to get used to your new kayak. Then move to a Class 1 (slow moving river) or large stream so you can work out the kinks some more.

Practice with a drag chain or small anchor, because eventually you will want to use one. When you hook a big fish in moving water it sometimes can be tough to control the kayak while being dragged around by a big fish.

Use rod leashes in case you roll over, and secure your other items.

If you get caught sideways in an eddy or faster current, don’t try to paddle hard out of it, it is easier to just let it float and spin you around until you can point the front downstream or reach calmer waters. You can easily turn over in an eddy.

When you pedal, you can use the paddle as a rudder if you can't quite get your rudder in the right position, hopefully your Old Town will track well. If you paddle and pedal you can hit 5mph which will increase your fishing range.

I like floating the slower rivers the best, you can take it easy and focus on the fishing. With pedals, you can launch on a river, power upriver without fishing much, then float back down to your truck while fishing, and you don’t have to worry about a shuttle.

You may want to start in some flat water first, a pond or lake, to get used to your new kayak. Then move to a Class 1 (slow moving river) or large stream so you can work out the kinks some more.

Practice with a drag chain or small anchor, because eventually you will want to use one. When you hook a big fish in moving water it sometimes can be tough to control the kayak while being dragged around by a big fish.

Use rod leashes in case you roll over, and secure your other items.

If you get caught sideways in an eddy or faster current, don’t try to paddle hard out of it, it is easier to just let it float and spin you around until you can point the front downstream or reach calmer waters. You can easily turn over in an eddy.

When you pedal, you can use the paddle as a rudder if you can't quite get your rudder in the right position, hopefully your Old Town will track well. If you paddle and pedal you can hit 5mph which will increase your fishing range.

I like floating the slower rivers the best, you can take it easy and focus on the fishing. With pedals, you can launch on a river, power upriver without fishing much, then float back down to your truck while fishing, and you don’t have to worry about a shuttle.

That sounds like a whole lot of experience talking...thank you very much!

That sounds like a whole lot of experience talking...thank you very much!

You will get used to things not being quite as accessible as in a boat. Get a lifevest with decent size pockets so you can store gear in them that is easily accessible.

Get a belt clip for your pliers with a lanyard. Use a small pair of scissors with a lanyard to cut braid. Oil them often to prevent rust.

Use a net if you are in a tournament or you don’t want to lose a good eating fish. Put the net in a rod holder behind you that you can reach. Otherwise those plastic lip grabber things are good to land a fish if you don’t mind losing it.

You will learn a lot about rigging out your own yak after you use it in different water types. You will see lots of wildlife; I have floated up on moose, bears, deer, eagles, coyotes and more, so be on the lookout.

You will get used to things not being quite as accessible as in a boat. Get a lifevest with decent size pockets so you can store gear in them that is easily accessible.

Get a belt clip for your pliers with a lanyard. Use a small pair of scissors with a lanyard to cut braid. Oil them often to prevent rust.

Use a net if you are in a tournament or you don’t want to lose a good eating fish. Put the net in a rod holder behind you that you can reach. Otherwise those plastic lip grabber things are good to land a fish if you don’t mind losing it.

You will learn a lot about rigging out your own yak after you use it in different water types. You will see lots of wildlife; I have floated up on moose, bears, deer, eagles, coyotes and more, so be on the lookout.

Awesome! I’m really looking forward to it!! Thanks!!

Damn, now I want one. Figure I could reach down and grab one of those Great Whites by the lip just like they do with those big old catfish.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT