ADVERTISEMENT

OT It's the worst of times, it's the best of times

OldasdirtDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 16, 2009
I debated myself as to posting this thread, as earlier last year I had some health problems and I spoke of them with some friends on here that email me from time to time. At that time they asked if I wanted to have a thread for me, and I said I would rather deal with it privately. This time I decided to post it and that way everyone that wanted to know why I've been missing, and perhaps will be missing a little more in the near future. So here goes.

I went to see my orthopaedic surgeon on Dec. 30 about having more surgery for some chronic shoulder and neck problems. Everything went well (I was having one of the best days physical wise that I've had in a long time). I had many chores to do and went to bed at around 5 am on the 31st (I usually get to bed around 3 to 3:30 am). I woke up a couple of minutes before my alarm went off at 9:45 am with a good bit of pain in my left shoulder and arm (that shoulder bothers me some anyway though), but more importantly I was quite nauseated, and when I got up to my feet I was a little unsure of myself too. I had tightness in my chest with, very uncomfortable, but not intense pain. Some shortness of breath and generally just not feeling very well. I got my wife up from bed and proceeded to get her dressed and to prepare her breakfast. Then I went outside to feed up my feral cats (that are about 250-300 feet from my house. Going down was unpleasant, but coming back up (about a 15 degree grade) was very difficult. I called one of my daughters and told her I might be having a bit of a problem, and she came over. I agreed that I need to head to the ER, but before I would leave I wanted to send off a check for my wife's and I property taxes.:) She was not amused, but knew that I wasn't going to go until I put the check in the mail...at the post office (don't trust the mailbox).

At the ER they got around to me pretty quickly and preformed the usual stuff for possible cardiac events. They gave me some nitro (and I think some nitro patches) and I felt much better. I missed the Duke/Boston College game as I was still in the ER until after it ended. After a few hours...wow...I'm being a long winded here, so let me cut to the chase, I was put in ICU. I stayed there until they transported me on the 2nd to another hospital, in another city to have a heart cath. I had the cath the afternoon of the 2nd, and a stent was placed in an artery that had a 100% blockage. I was able to leave to come home on the 3rd. And I was doing pretty good, but there are some complication caused by the drugs they've put me on, and I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow morning.

It's been an emotional roller coaster, but I feel very, very fortunate that I may still have a little more time left to take care of my wife and all my critters (as my daughters are more than capable of taking of themselves...even though I worry much over them). In April when I had problems my wife and daughters were concerned, but they were confident I would be okay. Not this time. My children had their hands full taking care of my wife as she broke down from all of this (for the ones that don't know my wife is a stroke victim and a bad stroke it was.) She ended up needing medical attention but is now home with me and doing well considering all things. I pray that God will give me the strength to be able to fulfill my purpose on earth and to take care of what means more to me than life itself.

Now, on to the lighter side of things. I watched a little bit of the Duke/Miami game (thank goodness Duke showed who is the best team in the country). I've tried to stay away from some of the more stressful things, so I didn't even realize that my Vikings beat the Saints. Let me rephrase that, that DJ's Vikings won (but he's gracious enough to let a NC country boy rent them every once in awhile).:D And then I found out the Heels lost...to GT...at home...wow...I don't have enough room to put all the smiley faces for that!

Okay, if anyone is still with me after this DSouth windbag post, I want to thank everyone on here for putting up with me all these years, and maybe, just maybe (if the Lord is willing) a few more. I'm planning on posting on here depending on how I'm feeling and if I have the time. I've got appointments by the bushel load, and cardiac rehab coming up soon too. I wanted to make a UNC meme, but after writing this autobiography I don't have the time.:cool: But don't worry, if I still have breath I will be back and I'll bring it with all my fiber against those varmitts at Chapel Hill.

OFC

Oh FFS OAD, I’m sorry you’ve had such a shitty go of it. Dude, next time you are nauseated and your left side hurts and your chest is tight, go to the damn hospital immediately, okay. The mail can wait:). And you are a good man, taking care of your wife. Good for you, man.

If you're an OFC, and don't have at least one stent, then you probably need one. Welcome to the club. Glad you have a new lease on life. Enjoy every day.

BTW, I am not aware that any cardiologist has ever said a little potted meat is bad for your heart. Just sayin'.

Praying for you dirt! Cardiac events can really mess with your head (I know from experience with an ablation and near death experience myself). I’m happy to talk through with you over email if ever just need to vent or ask questions! Not sure if you can PM me here? Feel better friend.

God bless you and your wife Dirt. You TRULY a fine man, and I always FEEL BETTER after reading one of your posts! You are also a WARRIOR, and a role model for all of us....Praying for you to feel better, and good luck on your appts/tests, hope things come out well! Maybe we can get #6 for you this year my friend! OFC

Thought and Prayers are with you and your family OAD. I just know you through the message boards, but I definitely know enough to know that you are a great human being! I hope things get better quickly, and I’ll be praying that you get great news after visiting the doctors!

One more thing... I think you might be the only person that I know of that has a normal bedtime of 3:00 AM. Lol

Like I said on one of my first posts here, I've been a long time lurker but decided to join you guys on here this year. However one of the MAIN reasons I joined was to give mad props to OAD on his awesome Gifs and Memes that he creates. They keep me laughing and like one of the posts above said, I will click on anything you post because I know it'll be good.

Anyways, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Dirt that was so hard to read. I've been thinking something just wasn't right because we had not heard from you for a while. I know you are a private person in matters like this and it took some courage to write about it but thank you so much for sharing it with us. Now we can offer support, prayers, well wishes and those positive vibs we all need. You mean so much to all of us here . Never have I heard anyone confront you. I can't even say that about myself. I want you to know that I truly love you as a friend a brother and not ashamed to let you know that even though I have never met you personally. You and Ann will be in my personal prayers. Without a doubt I felt the support of this board this past year when going through the issue with my kidney. Miracles happen my friend because one happened to me. Prayers, faith and the Lord's will healed me . I need to end my dsouth post but needed to let you know. OFC

Last edited:
If you're an OFC, and don't have at least one stent, then you probably need one. Welcome to the club. Glad you have a new lease on life. Enjoy every day.

BTW, I am not aware that any cardiologist has ever said a little potted meat is bad for your heart. Just sayin'.
I haven't had one yet but probably need one. Thanks for posting this Dirt and hope for the best of health for you and your wife. I always enjoy reading your post and was thinking yesterday it had been a while. My dad is ninety and had a stroke three months ago but survived it and doing well. My mom is eighty eight and very healthy so she makes sure dad has what he needs. Your family is very fortunate for you to be able to take care of your wife and I know you are happy to do so. OFC

Textbook crisis/medical protocol there Dirt.
1. When faced with a crisis/emergency, focus on the mundane. Possible heart attack/stroke? Might as well make breakfast.
2. As the situation deteriorates, transition to the truly irrelevant. Suppose I should feed someone elses damn cat(s).
3. When its really hitting the fan and make or break time, DON'T call an expert. Son of a b..., I'm really having a cardiac event here. Hey hon, call one of the kids, will ya?
On the bright side of things, if you weren't having a serious cardiac event. There was little to no chance of you worrying yourself into one.
Truly hope you and the missus are feeling better.

Dang Dirt, you've all been the ringer. As many here have said, I can tell you're good people and you've brought many a smile to my face. I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers. I wish I could give you both a hug, but maybe you can give each other one for me?

Prayers for you OAD! I'm glad you have family there for support - that is incredibly important.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Dirt you’re “that dude” (Zion es) Idk how to type that.... This board would be stale and bland without you. You’re my 2nd favorite poster you old bastered :D We don’t always see things brown eye to brown eye, but when we don’t things don’t get messy. Lmao You’re in my prayers bra. I’m sure everything will work out for you :)

Last edited:
Best wishes Mr. Dirt..Scary situation,if it helps any,I had a heart attack 9 years ago,got a couple stents put in,changed my life style some and now I feel better than I have for years,keep the faith,all will work out for you

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Dirt you are the EF Hutton of this board. When you speak we all listen. I admire you for your ability to constantly piss the Cheats off with your creativity with Photoshop but I mostly admire you for the care you give your wife and dedication to her. Take care of yourself and immediately seek help when you feel your ticker is acting up again.

I can’t say it any better than anyone already has, but I think I can speak for the entire board when I say you are
1. A B-hole
2. Not finny

But seriously, I’m sure you know how everyone here feels about you and that you have our full support. If we voted for DI president, you’d have my vote.

But seriously, I’m sure you know how everyone here feels about you and that you have our full support. If we voted for DI president, you’d have my vote.

I think he'd have the vote of many. I've gotten to know Dirt some off the board....and I can safely say he's a better person in real life than he is here, and we all know how he is here.

Well said DukeKy! Dirt would have my vote as well. I am sure he would win in LANDSLIDE. Guy just exudes class, and is quite humble. Sky would be on that same winning ticket!!! OFC

Dirt as pres and Sky’s as VP...... I don’t know Hart, think of all the higher education diplomas lost after they plowed chapel hill and turned it into the worlds largest potted meat factory!!

Dirt as pres and Sky’s as VP...... I don’t know Hart, think of all the higher education diplomas lost after they plowed chapel hill and turned it into the worlds largest potted meat factory!!

You brought the "A" GAME again good buddy! Plus there would be no more AFAM classes! They would convert the building into a ASPAM center! All factory workers required to attend! OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT