ADVERTISEMENT

One week in

df64

Cameron Crazy
Feb 2, 2006
So, we are one week into practice. What is the word? Who looks good? Any surprises/disappointments? So far we have heard that Grayson looked great at a scrimmage and that Bolden looked better. More please!

Bagley will live at the FT line. Tre has been throwing oops regularly but his jumper is very questionable. Gary looks to be a great 3 and D guy. Wendell is as solid as you would figure. Jordan G has looked solid too.
All of the upperclassman are leading the younger guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: LTDukeFan
I knew Goldwire would be valuable THIS year. He looked good on his tape. He’s going to surprise people. He has been playing with talent

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I'd be eager to see what Jordan G can develop into as a player (at least I am) but I might not jump to say he contributes. Duval will get the bulk of the minutes at PG and Grayson will get the rest.

Players like Jordan G, Alex, Jordan T and even Jack are the ones I'm going to watch, listen, and read about bc one of those guys are going to have to emerge as one of the players that gets spot minutes in the back court.

Absolutely Jake. We need at least one of those guys to be able to come in and hold their own and give some solid minutes.

Grayson cannot guard opposing quick PG, he can't keep them out of the lane maybe Jordan G can but it remains to be seen.
I don't think there's a problem with Grayson's d. He's not a bad defender. The problems with Duke's d the last 2 seasons, and even a majority of the 15 season is more to the lack of the young talent learning K's defensive system, which requires rotating over, which about all our guys were very slow in doing. To me it's not fair to put that on our guards.

I just had a discussion with a person I work with (who is a HS basketball and AAU coach) and he's been around games where Alex and both Jordan's have played it.

He said, Alex has the "it" factor with skills, competitive nature and athleticism, but he said he might be the skinniest kid he has every seen play at a high level.
Jordan T, he said, is one of most purist shooters and isn't afraid to shoot it but seemed not as motivated on the defensive side of the ball.
Jordan G was the biggest surprise of any PGs he seen all year. Said that it's easy to look at the 5 star kids and say wow they are good but when he played against and saw Jordan he thought geez why isn't that kid ranked much higher.

I told him as a Duke fan, I'm hopefully optimistic but also a realist who thinks none of those guys will do much this year. He said and I quote "don't count out Jordan G"

I just had a discussion with a person I work with (who is a HS basketball and AAU coach) and he's been around games where Alex and both Jordan's have played it.

He said, Alex has the "it" factor with skills, competitive nature and athleticism, but he said he might be the skinniest kid he has every seen play at a high level.
Jordan T, he said, is one of most purist shooters and isn't afraid to shoot it but seemed not as motivated on the defensive side of the ball.
Jordan G was the biggest surprise of any PGs he seen all year. Said that it's easy to look at the 5 star kids and say wow they are good but when he played against and saw Jordan he thought geez why isn't that kid ranked much higher.

I told him as a Duke fan, I'm hopefully optimistic but also a realist who thinks none of those guys will do much this year. He said and I quote "don't count out Jordan G"

I actually agree

Am I the only one who hopes Allen doesn't play one minute of PG this year?

Alan

It depends. I'd prefer he not, but if he's the best option then he's the best option. I still think the biggest thing that will hold Goldwire and O'Connell back the most is their strength, or lack thereof. College basketball is very physical and a gigantic step up from high school and AAU. IMO, the acclimation process is going to take a little longer for those two.....and that's ok. They're both going to contribute at Duke a lot before they move on.

It depends. I'd prefer he not, but if he's the best option then he's the best option. I still think the biggest thing that will hold Goldwire and O'Connell back the most is their strength, or lack thereof. College basketball is very physical and a gigantic step up from high school and AAU. IMO, the acclimation process is going to take a little longer for those two.....and that's ok. They're both going to contribute at Duke a lot before they move on.

So are we not confident in Trevon?

I think it's more so you aren't expedient Tre to play 40mpg every night. If Jordan G continues to surprise than him getting those 5-8mpg when Tre isn't in could be the way to go.

Gotcha! I was thinking I missed something. I hope Jordan can

So are we not confident in Trevon?

No, sorry....totally confident. I was speaking more in terms of the backup role. Trevon is going to play, in all likelihood, about 35 minutes/game. IMO, which could be wrong, I see Grayson as the most likely candidate for that role.

Like I said, I think Goldwire and O'Connell will see their roles expand as their careers go on, but for now I just feel both are at least a year away from serious contributions.

Reactions: pisgah101
No, sorry....totally confident. I was speaking more in terms of the backup role. Trevon is going to play, in all likelihood, about 35 minutes/game. IMO, which could be wrong, I see Grayson as the most likely candidate for that role.

Like I said, I think Goldwire and O'Connell will see their roles expand as their careers go on, but for now I just feel both are at least a year away from serious contributions.

Cool I was thinking I missed something! But yeah I think it'll be Grayson unless Goldwire is just great

Cool I was thinking I missed something! But yeah I think it'll be Grayson unless Goldwire is just great

Honestly I'm not sure it even needs to be Grayson. Just a breakdown of how it can work without Grayson touching point guard duties.

Tre 34
Grayson 32
Marvin 30 (14 @ 3, 16 @ 4/5)
Wendell 28 (8 @ 4, 20 @ 5)
Marques18
Gary 18 (8 @ 2, 10 @ 3)
Jordan G 6
Jordan T 8 (@ 3)
Javin 6 (@ 4)

Thats how I would play it unless Marques shows he's better than Wendell. This can be the season rotation. Things change in tournament time

Honestly I'm not sure it even needs to be Grayson. Just a breakdown of how it can work without Grayson touching point guard duties.

Tre 34
Grayson 32
Marques18
Gary 18 (8 @ 2, 10 @ 3)
Jordan G 6
Jordan T 8 (@ 3)
Javin 6 (@ 4)

Thats how I would play it unless Marques shows he's better than Wendell. This can be the season rotation. Things change in tournament time
Would be nice to see more minutes go to the players at the bottom of this stack. Still very nice to see 9 guys get some minutes.

Tre 34
Grayson 32
Marques18
Gary 18 (8 @ 2, 10 @ 3)
Jordan G 6
Jordan T 8 (@ 3)
Javin 6 (@ 4)

I see no one getting more minutes than Grayson, that's assuming he's the player we all anticipate. Some of your minutes seem ok, but I see Javin getting close to 20 minutes. He's way too athletic and hungry to play less than 15. We must remember there's only so many minutes to go around, unless we're blowing everyone out.

I see no one getting more minutes than Grayson, that's assuming he's the player we all anticipate. Some of your minutes seem ok, but I see Javin getting close to 20 minutes. He's way too athletic and hungry to play less than 15. We must remember there's only so many minutes to go around, unless we're blowing everyone out.

Yep Grayson will be at 38 or so for the year but play most nights 40

There's no way Javin can get those many minutes on a nightly basis. He's the 4th best big man on the team. I just can't see it happening unless Marques and Wendell aren't as good as we think

I'll believe it when it happens first of all. Secondly Grayson doesn't have to sit to develop a bench
I tend to agree with you on Grayson. Once we start getting into big games I see him out there 37+ each night. He will come out if he needs a breather. He's crucial with this young team.

you must not believe coach when he says he's going to develop his bench. Grayson won't have to play that much because he actually has depth behind him.

Define depth.

Having bodies doesn't always equate to depth. I love Alex O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire, but they're not going to play just because there's perceived depth. Both need to concentrate 1) on improvement, but more importantly, 2) on getting stronger and adjusting to this brand of basketball. They're not in high school anymore.

IMO, I think we really only have three true guards who look like they're ready now....those being Trevon, Grayson and Gary. It's still TBD on Jordan Tucker, although I lean toward him being productive in spots. The main thing we're hearing with regards to him is that he's not much of a defender. That could limit him.

There's no way Javin can get those many minutes on a nightly basis. He's the 4th best big man on the team. I just can't see it happening unless Marques and Wendell aren't as good as we think
I think K has a strong 7 guys that will get bulk of minutes:
Allen, Duval, Bagley, Bolden, Carter, Trent, and Delaurier.
Maybe K plays at least 8. Lot of talent on this team, but our season will be as good as Grayson is.

I think K has a strong 7 guys that will get bulk of minutes:
Allen, Duval, Bagley, Bolden, Carter, Trent, and Delaurier.
Maybe K plays at least 8. Lot of talent on this team, but our season will be as good as Grayson is.
....and Trevon, and Gary, and Marvin, and all of the bigs. Yes Grayson is our leader without question. But a strong case can be made that Trevon will determine our season, since he's our only true PG. Remember last year?

I'll believe it when it happens first of all. Secondly Grayson doesn't have to sit to develop a bench

I agree with this. I am hopeful he develops the bench, but I'd be shocked if Grayson isn't averaging nearly 40 per game.

I think Grayson may see 38 at the start of the season but 34-35 as the young guys get more inclined to college play. OFC

Reactions: dbav
Duke has a very deep bench this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9-man rotation of guys getting meaningful minutes. Maybe even 10.

I mean K could play several guys 32+ minutes. But why risk wearing them down when you have such quality depth?

Even if a freshman or 2 don't develop as quickly as expected, this is a deep team.

Reactions: hart2chesson
....and Trevon, and Gary, and Marvin, and all of the bigs. Yes Grayson is our leader without question. But a strong case can be made that Trevon will determine our season, since he's our only true PG. Remember last year?
Grayson is the one player that I don't think we can afford to lose. Of course we don't want any injuries, and yes the others are important, but #3 is the man.
Last year's team had more problems than Carter has liver pills. We roll if Allen is what we expect. We can measure talent and other physical attributes, but chemistry you can't. If our young talent follows Allen, start pricing final 4 tickets. Period.

Duke has a very deep bench this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 9-man rotation of guys getting meaningful minutes. Maybe even 10.

I mean K could play several guys 32+ minutes. But why risk wearing them down when you have such quality depth?

Even if a freshman or 2 don't develop as quickly as expected, this is a deep team.

You're right, and no way DeLaurier is just a 6 minute guy.....OFC

Reactions: Mac9192

Better chance of UK fans acknowledging that we beat them fair n square in recruiting than of us playing 10 guys. It's just not gonna happen.
Since we are so young, I actually think it's vital for the freshman to log a lot of minutes early in, to catch up to the speed of the game.

Yes, we have (more than) 10 guys who could play real minutes for a lot of Div 1 basketball programs. We have our 6 locks for playing time, then toss in Javin as a 7th. I do think we go 8, and that eighth is gonna have to be a guard/wing. I'd bet on Tucker but wouldn't be shocked if the 8th is a work in progress with Tucker, Alex, and Jack all getting a fair shot for the spot.

Better chance of UK fans acknowledging that we beat them fair n square in recruiting than of us playing 10 guys. It's just not gonna happen.
Since we are so young, I actually think it's vital for the freshman to log a lot of minutes early in, to catch up to the speed of the game.

Yes, we have (more than) 10 guys who could play real minutes for a lot of Div 1 basketball programs. We have our 6 locks for playing time, then toss in Javin as a 7th. I do think we go 8, and that eighth is gonna have to be a guard/wing. I'd bet on Tucker but wouldn't be shocked if the 8th is a work in progress with Tucker, Alex, and Jack all getting a fair shot for the spot.

Tucker is much better than "a work in progress." OFC

Tucker is much better than "a work in progress." OFC
Not knocking Tucker at all. And as of now, I'd say he's the favorite to land the 8th and final spot in our regular "non-blowout game" rotation. But I do believe that Nov/Dec finding the player for that 8th spot will be a work in progress with Tucker Jack and Alex all getting a shot. Hopefully by conference play it's figured out.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Not knocking Tucker at all. And as of now, I'd say he's the favorite to land the 8th and final spot in our regular "non-blowout game" rotation. But I do believe that Nov/Dec finding the player for that 8th spot will be a work in progress with Tucker Jack and Alex all getting a shot. Hopefully by conference play it's figured out.

Well stated...I hope Jack/Alex get good chances to audition in that spot, and I feel they will! JT is ahead I would also have to concur, and probably comes in as a more heralded player than the other two. No question all three will benefit from competition...OFC

Reactions: jwill133
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT