ADVERTISEMENT

One week in

Well stated...I hope Jack/Alex get good chances to audition in that spot, and I feel they will! JT is ahead I would also have to concur, and probably comes in as a more heralded player than the other two. No question all three will benefit from competition...OFC

Skill-wise, Alex is probably ahead of JT....but Tucker comes in with the more college-ready body, so I'd tend to lean he plays more too. Long term, I kind of feel Alex might have more potential though.

Skill-wise, Alex is probably ahead of JT....but Tucker comes in with the more college-ready body, so I'd tend to lean he plays more too. Long term, I kind of feel Alex might have more potential though.

I also have the benefit of age in this, living long enough to see Alex's dad Dave at Duke. Oft injured, but TENACIOUS on the court.Alex will be a contributor in a real tangible basis before he leaves Durham!

OFC

Jack is a player that could fill minutes at the 3 or stretch 4. He's very athletic, rebounds well, can D up and shoots the ball. Don't count him out, yet.

I'll believe it when it happens first of all. Secondly Grayson doesn't have to sit to develop a bench

so how is the bench going to develop if they aren't playing. lets say he play 38-40 minutes a game. Gary Trent won't get to plan much. Especially if we look good with the big lineup.

Define depth.

Having bodies doesn't always equate to depth. I love Alex O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire, but they're not going to play just because there's perceived depth. Both need to concentrate 1) on improvement, but more importantly, 2) on getting stronger and adjusting to this brand of basketball. They're not in high school anymore.

IMO, I think we really only have three true guards who look like they're ready now....those being Trevon, Grayson and Gary. It's still TBD on Jordan Tucker, although I lean toward him being productive in spots. The main thing we're hearing with regards to him is that he's not much of a defender. That could limit him.

If the big lineup looks unstoppable with Bagley at the 3 how many minutes do you expect Trent to get? Everybody here thinks Grayson should play 38-40 minutes a night. That'll leave Trent with 2 mins max at the 2. So where will his minutes come from?

My guy in the shadows that will make a big impact before he is gone is Jack White. I think he's heading for a coming out party with Tre and Cam.

Reactions: pisgah101
If the big lineup looks unstoppable with Bagley at the 3 how many minutes do you expect Trent to get? Everybody here thinks Grayson should play 38-40 minutes a night. That'll leave Trent with 2 mins max at the 2. So where will his minutes come from?
1. Grayson isn't playing 38 mpg. Will there be some games when he is insanely hot and he plays all 40? Sure. But I expect him to be around 34 mpg (a 2-3 min rest each half sounds about right.)
2. We may go big, but at most it may be 20 mpg, and I'd say that's a little high. Remember, K seems to always prefer a 4 out - 1 in style of play.
3. Gary should get 20 mpg playing the traditional 3 position alongside Trevon and Grayson. He should get another 5-10 mpg filling in the 2 when either Trevon or Grayson sit. That's also not even factoring in emergency situations when we go 4 guards along with 1 big. I'm confident in saying Gary should be right around the 25-30 mpg mark.

I would be pretty shocked if Trent isn't over 20 mpg at least. I do think as we get towards the heart of the season that he, Grayson and Tre will be on the court a ton in the second half of games together. And then paired with whoever is playing best of Bolden, Carter and even Javin. Obviously Bagely will be in the lineup.

Reactions: Mac9192
Yeah, very hard to see a scenario where a healthy Trent isn’t playing around 20-25 minutes, at minimum. I’d even say he’s closer to 30/night.
Trent, Carter, and Bolden will I think be around mid, possibly upper 20's, similar to Frank Jackson's minutes. Allen will play the most I think with Duval behind him. Bagley around 30. Delaurier has too much to offer sitting, but after that I'm not sure what's left for the others. This is all under assumption that everyone is what we expect.

Show,
Jack does all the things Duke teams need out of its non OAD players.
All the guys, Jack, Alex, and both Jordan's could really be the backbone for future Duke teams

1. Grayson isn't playing 38 mpg. Will there be some games when he is insanely hot and he plays all 40? Sure. But I expect him to be around 34 mpg (a 2-3 min rest each half sounds about right.)
2. We may go big, but at most it may be 20 mpg, and I'd say that's a little high. Remember, K seems to always prefer a 4 out - 1 in style of play.
3. Gary should get 20 mpg playing the traditional 3 position alongside Trevon and Grayson. He should get another 5-10 mpg filling in the 2 when either Trevon or Grayson sit. That's also not even factoring in emergency situations when we go 4 guards along with 1 big. I'm confident in saying Gary should be right around the 25-30 mpg mark.

That sounds cute and all but it’s not adding up. If Grayson is taking pretty much all of the mins at the 2 there’s no way Trent will be able to play 20+ mins and give Delaurier enough good minutes. Grayson shouldn’t play one minute at point guard to me. That’s not his strength. Leave it to Trevon and Jordan. Real point guards. Grayson is more effective as a secondary ball handler.

He won’t. It doesn’t add up. Jordan G is going to get spot point guard minutes. I bet that. What sense does it make to play Grayson 38 minutes during the season anyway? That makes no sense
You thinking it makes no sense is kind of irrelevant. Grayson in big games, close games will play at least 35 min, it's just what K does. He relies on his experience and unless I'm losing it, he is our lone experienced player. He's also probably our second best- good combination. He will be on the floor. Can you tell me, however long you've been a fan of Duke, that you don't believe he will be on the floor that long? Obviously if we are blowing teams out things change and skew the averages, but big games and close games his is a sure bet.

That sounds cute and all but it’s not adding up. If Grayson is taking pretty much all of the mins at the 2 there’s no way Trent will be able to play 20+ mins and give Delaurier enough good minutes. Grayson shouldn’t play one minute at point guard to me. That’s not his strength. Leave it to Trevon and Jordan. Real point guards. Grayson is more effective as a secondary ball handler.
It doesn't need to add up right now. Gary is gonna play 25-30 min and that's that. Grayson will probably average right around 34 mpg, some nights he may play 40, we will have blowouts where he plays 28 minutes. Javin will get his minutes, provided he has earned them in practice.

I'll be shocked if we see Jordan G in a non-blowout type game. Don't get me wrong, he seems to fit well with this group: he can handle the ball, get us into our sets, and play solid D. That's really all he would be asked to do. Still don't think K will play him though. When Trevon is out the PG role will be split duty between Grayson and Gary. Marvin also can be a "point forward" if necessary, similar to a Ben Simmons-type.

It doesn't need to add up right now. Gary is gonna play 25-30 min and that's that. Grayson will probably average right around 34 mpg, some nights he may play 40, we will have blowouts where he plays 28 minutes. Javin will get his minutes, provided he has earned them in practice.

I'll be shocked if we see Jordan G in a non-blowout type game. Don't get me wrong, he seems to fit well with this group: he can handle the ball, get us into our sets, and play solid D. That's really all he would be asked to do. Still don't think K will play him though. When Trevon is out the PG role will be split duty between Grayson and Gary. Marvin also can be a "point forward" if necessary, similar to a Ben Simmons-type.
I see the Marvin point forward role as a potential as well. Why not take advantage of that especially if teams try and press with our perceived lack of depth in the backcourt.

Reactions: hart2chesson
He won’t. It doesn’t add up. Jordan G is going to get spot point guard minutes. I bet that. What sense does it make to play Grayson 38 minutes during the season anyway? That makes no sense

Well I heard a myth that you can play 3 guards at one time. Also who said tre gets 40 at point. Grayson will play some there and you have no idea if Jordan will get time. I hope he does but timo pretty much summed it up best

Reactions: dbav and dukiejay
I don't think it's totally unrealistic if Marques and Javin are the only bench guys to get regular minutes in meaningful games. I know K alluded to having a deeper bench after the SC game, but I still question whether he's going to employ that or not:

PG Minutes:
Duval- 35
Allen- 5

SG Minutes:
Allen- 33
Trent- 7

SF Minutes:
Trent- 19
Bagley- 21

PF Minutes:
Bagley- 14
Carter- 11
DeLaurier- 15

C Minutes:
Carter- 18
Bolden- 22

Total Minutes:
Allen- 38
Duval- 35
Bagley- 35
Carter- 29
Trent- 26
Bolden- 22
DeLaurier- 15

I don't think it's totally unrealistic if Marques and Javin are the only bench guys to get regular minutes in meaningful games. I know K alluded to having a deeper bench after the SC game, but I still question whether he's going to employ that or not:

PG Minutes:
Duval- 35
Allen- 5

SG Minutes:
Allen- 33
Trent- 7

SF Minutes:
Trent- 19
Bagley- 21

PF Minutes:
Bagley- 14
Carter- 11
DeLaurier- 15

C Minutes:
Carter- 18
Bolden- 22

Total Minutes:
Allen- 38
Duval- 35
Bagley- 35
Carter- 29
Trent- 26
Bolden- 22
DeLaurier- 15

That's pretty much what I expect

PG Minutes:
Duval- 35
Allen- 5

SG Minutes:
Allen- 33
Trent- 7

SF Minutes:
Trent- 19
Bagley- 21

PF Minutes:
Bagley- 14
Carter- 11
DeLaurier- 15

C Minutes:
Carter- 18
Bolden- 22

Total Minutes:
Allen- 38
Duval- 35
Bagley- 35
Carter- 29
Trent- 26
Bolden- 22
DeLaurier- 15

This is great. I'd slide Allen down to 35 mpg though and Trevon 33ish. I think were gonna have to bring a guard off the bench for 6-8 minutes even in non-blowout games. Tucker would be my pick for that spot as of now.
If Allen is playing 38 mpg, than frankly it means were not as good or deep as we expect to be.

PG Minutes:
Duval- 35
Allen- 5

SG Minutes:
Allen- 33
Trent- 7

SF Minutes:
Trent- 19
Bagley- 21

PF Minutes:
Bagley- 14
Carter- 11
DeLaurier- 15

C Minutes:
Carter- 18
Bolden- 22

Total Minutes:
Allen- 38
Duval- 35
Bagley- 35
Carter- 29
Trent- 26
Bolden- 22
DeLaurier- 15

I agree. I don't see anymore than 7 players getting over 5 mpg.

PG Minutes:
Duval- 35
Allen- 5

SG Minutes:
Allen- 33
Trent- 7

SF Minutes:
Trent- 19
Bagley- 21

PF Minutes:
Bagley- 14
Carter- 11
DeLaurier- 15

C Minutes:
Carter- 18
Bolden- 22

Total Minutes:
Allen- 38
Duval- 35
Bagley- 35
Carter- 29
Trent- 26
Bolden- 22
DeLaurier- 15
Great break down. This is very realistic, and where some of the 8th man minutes might come from is a few minutes total taken away from Allen, Bagley and Duval fairly early in a game. K will not, for the sake of more guys playing, risk taking out someone who's hot in a tough game.
The first real accurate gauge on minutes will be November 14 against Izzo and his troops.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
I see no one getting more minutes than Grayson, that's assuming he's the player we all anticipate. Some of your minutes seem ok, but I see Javin getting close to 20 minutes. He's way too athletic and hungry to play less than 15. We must remember there's only so many minutes to go around, unless we're blowing everyone out.
Wait, you say there are only so many minutes to go around and then turn around and want to give our 4th big 20 minutes per? That doesn't make any sense what so ever.

Wait, you say there are only so many minutes to go around and then turn around and want to give our 4th big 20 minutes per? That doesn't make any sense what so ever.
I think Javin's ability to play multiple positions will influence his minute count. If he is able to play the 3, than he may be able to get to 20 mpg. I am skeptical he can play the 3, given that K has always used a 3 that can consistently make 3's. I know he shot a good % in high school, but have never seen it beyond that. A lot of practice dunking videos, not any of him making 3's.

If he can't play the 3, than Javin's minutes probably will be limited, barring an injury, since we are deeper in the front court than in the back court.

I said Grayson will play 32-34 minutes and people on here act like I said something blasphemous. Jordan G will get a few minutes. I can only see him not playing a handful of games. If Tre gets in early foul trouble coach may let Grayson play the point but if Tre just need a break he will put Jordan in. That makes more sense.

I still think a lot of it will come down to Bolden. How good can he be? A lot of people are assuming he's going to be the player we expected last season. I'm still not sure. Javin, in the short time we saw him, played with a lot more energy and is clearly more versatile than Marques. Plus, we've known since we started recruiting Marques he's not an elite rebounder, whatsoever. If he doesn't play with more passion and defend then I think his minutes could be more limited. JMO.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
You thinking it makes no sense is kind of irrelevant. Grayson in big games, close games will play at least 35 min, it's just what K does. He relies on his experience and unless I'm losing it, he is our lone experienced player. He's also probably our second best- good combination. He will be on the floor. Can you tell me, however long you've been a fan of Duke, that you don't believe he will be on the floor that long? Obviously if we are blowing teams out things change and skew the averages, but big games and close games his is a sure bet.

Man what are you talking about? Me saying that he doesn’t need to play 38 minutes a game in the regular season has nothing to do with how long I’ve been a fan. That’s just dumb. If he plays 38 minutes a game Coach K has officially lost his mind. He complained about depth last year and is going to turnaround and play 7 men. Who cares about the regular season anyway. We lost 8 games and got a number 2 seed last year. Just keep everyone as fresh as possible for the tournament. That’s the only time that really matters.

I said Grayson will play 32-34 minutes and people on here act like I said something blasphemous. Jordan G will get a few minutes. I can only see him not playing a handful of games. If Tre gets in early foul trouble coach may let Grayson play the point but if Tre just need a break he will put Jordan in. That makes more sense.

I think Grayson will average at least 34-36 minutes. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Goldwire plays any kind of meaningful minutes this season. Nothing from recent history suggests he would play much.

And Grayson will play some point guard this season....as much as you may not like it, he just will.

Man what are you talking about? Me saying that he doesn’t need to play 38 minutes a game in the regular season has nothing to do with how long I’ve been a fan. That’s just dumb. If he plays 38 minutes a game Coach K has officially lost his mind. He complained about depth last year and is going to turnaround and play 7 men. Who cares about the regular season anyway. We lost 8 games and got a number 2 seed last year. Just keep everyone as fresh as possible for the tournament. That’s the only time that really matters.

Reading comprehension can be your friend. Try it.

1) Where did Timo say he would average 38 minutes per game? He said around 35....but there will be night's he plays more. That's common sense.

2) He wasn't questioning your fanhood or how long you've been a fan. He was making a point in saying that Coach K has a bit of a history here, that if you've been following along you would recognize.

3) Coach K said what he said last season. It can be taken a myriad of ways. Doesn't make you right and doesn't make me right. When he made those comments, I took it to mean a couple things....1) he was acknowledging he didn't have his best coaching season, and 2) the crap we had to put up with all season, whether that be injuries, Coach K's absence, Grayson's antics, among other things, played into the team never really becoming a core group.

I think Javin's ability to play multiple positions will influence his minute count. If he is able to play the 3, than he may be able to get to 20 mpg. I am skeptical he can play the 3, given that K has always used a 3 that can consistently make 3's. I know he shot a good % in high school, but have never seen it beyond that. A lot of practice dunking videos, not any of him making 3's.

If he can't play the 3, than Javin's minutes probably will be limited, barring an injury, since we are deeper in the front court than in the back court.
Javin ain't playing the 3

Reading comprehension can be your friend. Try it.

1) Where did Timo say he would average 38 minutes per game? He said around 35....but there will be night's he plays more. That's common sense.

2) He wasn't questioning your fanhood or how long you've been a fan. He was making a point in saying that Coach K has a bit of a history here, that if you've been following along you would recognize.

3) Coach K said what he said last season. It can be taken a myriad of ways. Doesn't make you right and doesn't make me right. When he made those comments, I took it to mean a couple things....1) he was acknowledging he didn't have his best coaching season, and 2) the crap we had to put up with all season, whether that be injuries, Coach K's absence, Grayson's antics, among other things, played into the team never really becoming a core group.

1) maybe his reading comprehension isn’t too well because my original post said Grayson would play around 32-34 minutes a night. Thank you for reminding me that I said that. People just like to complain for no reason. I guess y’all wouldve felt better if I said 35.

2) I understand he has a history but I’ve never heard him say that he wants to develop a bench before. Please show me evidence where he has ever talked about developing depth.

3) Last season was terrible coaching. He should give money back for the job he did last year. I recal me saying that last season as well but people continued to kiss his behind until we finally lost to South Carolina

Look, all I have said is that Javin will be most likely in the top 7 of the rotation. I see him playing at least 15 minutes, close to 20. What part of that doesn't make sense? He is a freak athlete and will bring tons of energy to the table.
Not to be mean, but if you've followed Duke basketball at all, you would admit that there's only so many minutes, and that the guys K is most confident in will see those minutes. I didn't say I always agree with K, but it's his program.

1) maybe his reading comprehension isn’t too well because my original post said Grayson would play around 32-34 minutes a night. Thank you for reminding me that I said that. People just like to complain for no reason. I guess y’all wouldve felt better if I said 35.

2) I understand he has a history but I’ve never heard him say that he wants to develop a bench before. Please show me evidence where he has ever talked about developing depth.

3) Last season was terrible coaching. He should give money back for the job he did last year. I recal me saying that last season as well but people continued to kiss his behind until we finally lost to South Carolina

1) You were the one whining about the first point. In fact, you're the one who constantly whines.

2) Is that something a coach even has to say? I mean, we know that throughout his career he's coached more restrictive than others. A lot of times it's worked, and sometimes it hasn't. Besides, I recall him saying prior to last season we would be deep....and I think that was the thought and plan before everything derailed.

3) I don't think he had a great season, either. I'll refrain from saying terrible because a lot of what happened was simply out of his control, and the team's. When you're introducing six new freshmen --- four of whom you're relying on heavily --- into the mix with four key returnee's, but then can't incorporate three of the four for over month while the fourth battles foot problems, well, it creates obstacles. Could he have done things different? Sure. Do I think he thought he was doing best for the team with what he had? Absolutely. Probably the only certainty we do know is that you were going to complain regardless unless we won the whole thing.

Look, all I have said is that Javin will be most likely in the top 7 of the rotation. I see him playing at least 15 minutes, close to 20. What part of that doesn't make sense? He is a freak athlete and will bring tons of energy to the table.
Not to be mean, but if you've followed Duke basketball at all, you would admit that there's only so many minutes, and that the guys K is most confident in will see those minutes. I didn't say I always agree with K, but it's his program.

I think Javin can be a 20 minute/night guy, too....but I feel that would be in part because Marques hasn't made the next step, per se. Otherwise I feel he's closer to 10-15 than he is to 20. I'm high on Javin, too, and to an extent, I'm probably higher on him than I am on Marques.

Same thing I said to him. He didn’t think that through
Look man, on your breakdown I disagreed that anyone would play more minutes than Grayson, and that Javin would only play 6 minutes a game. You have some knowledge on Duke basketball, as do a lot of guys on here. I just don't agree on those 2 ideas you threw out.
The bottom line is we should be very good, and if we play like a team, we'll be in the hunt come March.

I think Javin can be a 20 minute/night guy, too....but I feel that would be in part because Marques hasn't made the next step, per se. Otherwise I feel he's closer to 10-15 than he is to 20. I'm high on Javin, too, and to an extent, I'm probably higher on him than I am on Marques.
Javin will get to 20 mpg either because A. Marques isn't "there" yet or B. Javin can play the 3. I would say a better chance of A happening than B.
I hope Javin gets a lot of time this year, however it's unfortunate that were more stacked in the front court than the back court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT