ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Clemson

Just read we are 299th in 3 point shooting. This may sound crazy, but maybe we shouldn't be shooting 20 of those a game.
Only when the players are open . Teams will live with Duke shooting a three as long as they are drawing fouls or making and ones at the rim .

I completely agree with Flips spin move it only ends in a turn over and if someone on the coaching staff doesn’t show him how to not drop his shoulder when he dribbles into a defender he’s going to foul out a lot more games .

Just read we are 299th in 3 point shooting. This may sound crazy, but maybe we shouldn't be shooting 20 of those a game.
This just boggles my mind. I get it that sometimes freshman come in and need some time to adjust to the college game, but shooting is shooting, and we miss a LOT of wide open 3's. We are one of the premier CBB programs in the country. How can we not have a few sharpshooters on the bench??

We need one of Lively or Whitehead to become a consistent player for us. I just don't see us going far if that does not happen. We would be an easy out
This game was a big step backwards for Whitehead. He *should* be our best scoring option and he only took six shots, not because the D focused on him, just because he didn't aggressively seek shots. Ok, I can live with that. Players have off games and prior to yesterday he was looking good. But... this was the first time I noticed Whitehead being a liability on defense as well. He's too good of an athlete to get beat off the dribble that much.

I *still* think Whitehead ends up being our guy down the stretch but a couple more games like this and I may lose the faith.

Looking at Dariq's stats senior year and they're pretty underwhelming: 17 points, 5 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game. Here are his stats from Nike EYBL: 41% FG, 32% 3PT%, and 63% FT%. And here's a summary of his weaknesses from a draft website.

Weaknesses: On the negative side of streaky shooting, he’s had games where his contribution was less than desired … Limited creativity and can expand his offensive game in the half-court. Reliant and settles for pull-ups, sometimes contested, and can work on getting to the rim more often … Solid passing ability but not too advanced. Ball-handling can improve as well, especially with his left hand …

I admit I didn't know much about Lively or Dariq other than their class ranking. This makes me less confident that there's "more" to Dariq than what we've seen.

Guys this team is what it is . Whitehead is way more talented then what he has shown but I don’t know if we see it at Duke .
Lively , he’s got to show more and it’s not because his rankings . It’s because he’s a 7’2” center who can’t rebound or score at the moment .
There is a week off until Miami and maybe Schutt gets in but I doubt it . These players are going to have to decide how they want their season to go . Right now Duke has two players doing all they can in Young and Flip. Mitchell is trying to figure it out ( why he can’t realize his best play is inside is beside me but the guy can score around the rim .)
Proctor, Roach, Grandison have got to produce more in the backcourt .
Any points Blakes gives Duke is a plus . He’s in there for defense.

One positive I saw last night was Proctor doing his best to lead the team as a PG. he wasn’t perfect, but his effort and energy is improving. Only 1 assist and poor 3pt shooting, but he was the primary handler. He still has time to improve this year as well.

That said, if he and Roach come back, that’ll be a pretty nasty backcourt next year.

I will say I like the fact that Coach Scheyer is starting to get into officials faces and lobby for calls and show more emotion on the sideline. I think that helps when you have a young team in hostile environments. At home, the players feed off of the crowd’s emotions and on the road, they feed off of Scheyer’s.

I’ve seen lots of young coaches come into Cameron when K was coaching feeling like Scheyer is now. But K was also a young coach that felt Dean got all of the calls, so Scheyer is just taking his lumps but I’m glad he’s showing some emotion and just not letting referees run all over him.

One positive I saw last night was Proctor doing his best to lead the team as a PG. he wasn’t perfect, but his effort and energy is improving. Only 1 assist and poor 3pt shooting, but he was the primary handler. He still has time to improve this year as well.

That said, if he and Roach come back, that’ll be a pretty nasty backcourt next year.
Crowded back court . Roach , Proctor, Blakes, Schutt , Foster and McCain. I suspect one of Roach or Proctor move on .

I think the injury set Whitehead back both physically and mentally. He settles for jump shots too often. Win the next 2 (Miami and GT) and we are in decent shape. Roach frustrates me at times but we do need him back. Proctor had a good first half yesterday but faded down the stretch.
Last year I got ripped a new one when I commented that, after watching Whitehead in a couple of HS games, I didn’t understand why he was so highly ranked, because he acted like the lane was a minefield and liked to settle for outside shots. I’m not saying “I told you so”, but I think what we’re seeing isn’t an aberration or attributable to having an early season injury.

Whitehead is a solid player, but I haven't seen lottery talent this year. He's going to start trending down like Lively on draft boards if he doesn't pick it up. I know he's been injured; but honestly what NBA skill does he have right now? Brakefield probably showed just as much his first year at Duke. He lost a lot of the explosiveness that made him a top 5 high school player. Hopefully he gets that back. My guess is barring an explosion Lively and Whitehead go at the end of the first round. Too many question marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
Whitehead is a solid player, but I haven't seen lottery talent this year. He's going to start trending down like Lively on draft boards if he doesn't pick it up. I know he's been injured; but honestly what NBA skill does he have right now? Brakefield probably showed just as much his first year at Duke. He lost a lot of the explosiveness that made him a top 5 high school player. Hopefully he gets that back. My guess is barring an explosion Lively and Whitehead go at the end of the first round. Too many question marks.
Whitehead isn’t falling past 20.

Crowded back court . Roach , Proctor, Blakes, Schutt , Foster and McCain. I suspect one of Roach or Proctor move on .
Not going to happen because of it being crowded. Those two are better than the other 4 so those 4 will have tough decisions….

Reactions: christophero
Not going to happen because of it being crowded. Those two are better than the other 4 so those 4 will have tough decisions….
Huh? Foster is physically ready for college now and him and Proctor are the same type of player . It was always going to be one or the other reclassing. Roach and MCCain are also same type of players . Scoring guards.
Proctor will declare in my opinion . He’s late first early second . Roach could decide to try his luck in the league of a fresh start. There was already rumblings about him wanting to transfer after last season due to how he was being used .

I think we get Blakes and Schutt back. Definitely Blakes. Roach may try the draft. Proctor has a shot of coming back, but my guess is he goes to the combine and stays in the draft. I suppose Roach could return due to his subpar year. Roach will not get drafted, but when has that ever stopped our guys? I'd be pretty happy with Roach, Blakes, Schutt, Mitchell and Young and Reeves back, but that seems optimistic.

Last edited:
Blakes isn’t going any where and I don’t think Schutt will either .
That would please me greatly. I think Blakes best basketball is ahead of him, and Schutt can be a budding star if given legit shot.

OFC

Something Proctor has got to do is go back to utilizing his step back . I mentioned it in pre season . Would he continue to use his step back to shoot or would teams close him off. So far they are leaving him open but he has to go back to what works for him .

Reactions: DukeJim99
Huh? Foster is physically ready for college now and him and Proctor are the same type of player . It was always going to be one or the other reclassing. Roach and MCCain are also same type of players . Scoring guards.
Proctor will declare in my opinion . He’s late first early second . Roach could decide to try his luck in the league of a fresh start. There was already rumblings about him wanting to transfer after last season due to how he was being used .
So you’re saying unproven guys are better than proven guys? Plus you added Schutt, the same kid that can’t get court time on a team who’s in the bottom 1/5th of 3pt shooting.

Roach wasn’t transferring, lol, no idea how or why that rumor keeps floating around sporadically….

So you’re saying unproven guys are better than proven guys? Plus you added Schutt, the same kid that can’t get court time on a team who’s in the bottom 1/5th of 3pt shooting.

Roach wasn’t transferring, lol, no idea how or why that rumor keeps floating around sporadically….
It was leaked that his camp wasn’t happy with the way he was being used and they had thought about him moving on and that came from more then one reliable source especially when he was moved to the bench . What has Proctor proven other then he can improve? Foster is ready both defensively and offensively and is a better passer. Schutt is staying where is he going to go? His reason for not playing is on the staff for what ever it might be . He’s not the first shooter to come to Duke known for shooting to ride the pine as a freshman.
Wish I could go back and find the article on Roach where it stated he might be the most important recruit Scheyer needs to get to come back .

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
We are halfway through the season. This team needs to figure it out in a hurry. I will feel better if we can beat Miami. GT seems winnable.
Jon needs a STATEMENT ACC ROAD win. Then I will start to believe in him a little. I am assuming we fell out of the top 25 today. Not a good start for the 1st year coach.

OFC

Reactions: christophero
It was leaked that his camp wasn’t happy with the way he was being used and they had thought about him moving on and that came from more then one reliable source especially when he was moved to the bench . What has Proctor proven other then he can improve? Foster is ready both defensively and offensively and is a better passer. Schutt is staying where is he going to go? His reason for not playing is on the staff for what ever it might be . He’s not the first shooter to come to Duke known for shooting to ride the pine as a freshman.
Wish I could go back and find the article on Roach where it stated he might be the most important recruit Scheyer needs to get to come back .
Roach wasn’t transferring, that sounds like PR stunting. All good.

Schutt isn’t the answer. The same things you say about Foster were said about Proctor too. Besides, Proctor re-classed, and I’d bet a lot to say Foster would be in the same boat if he did as well. I’ll take a kid with a year under his belt over an unproven recruit.

A shame K's stubborness has rubbed off on Scheyer. Exactly the type kid K wouldn't play.
OFC
Because he’s a big liability defensively and still not physically ready to play big minutes at this level. Yes, K was very stubborn, but Schutt is nowhere near ready.

Reactions: dukesince91
Roach wasn’t transferring, that sounds like PR stunting. All good.

Schutt isn’t the answer. The same things you say about Foster were said about Proctor too. Besides, Proctor re-classed, and I’d bet a lot to say Foster would be in the same boat if he did as well. I’ll take a kid with a year under his belt over an unproven recruit.
It wasn’t PR but Scheyer and staff talked him off the ledge . I just remember people saying him playing against FIBA pros was going to be good for him . However like I’ve stated numerous times FIBA is way different then college ball and less physical . Foster plays in the states and is physically ready . An issue with Proctor is that if he can’t blow by his guy he is just now learning how to absorb the contact and still drive in stead of passing off the ball . Proctor doesn’t have to stay Duke will be fine with Foster. If both are hear next year that just strengthens Dukes back court . Do I think both Roach and Proctor will be at Duke . No .

It wasn’t PR but Scheyer and staff talked him off the ledge . I just remember people saying him playing against FIBA pros was going to be good for him . However like I’ve stated numerous times FIBA is way different then college ball and less physical . Foster plays in the states and is physically ready . An issue with Proctor is that if he can’t blow by his guy he is just now learning how to absorb the contact and still drive in stead of passing off the ball . Proctor doesn’t have to stay Duke will be fine with Foster. If both are hear next year that just strengthens Dukes back court . Do I think both Roach and Proctor will be at Duke . No .
Again, Roach wasn’t transferring.

Foster would fair no better this year as an early recruit. It’ll be fun to see who is here next year….

Again, Roach wasn’t transferring.

Foster would fair no better this year as an early recruit. It’ll be fun to see who is here next year….
Ok the Roach thing is a dead point but we can agree to disagree on it .

I think Foster would be better then Proctor simply given their two different backgrounds ( one FIBA and one state side high school ball.) I will agree that his three may not be better then Proctors is this year .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT