ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Clemson

I just realized if our 5 potential NBA draft picks all leave (and they were all on the latest mock draft) we'll be 0 for 10 in the NBA draft the last 2 years. with guys returning. You just have to laugh sometimes.

Guys, I don’t think there is much hope for this season. I’ll consider it a success if we make the tournament and win 1 game.

We should already be thinking about next year. For the love of god can we get some guys to stick around? Lively and Whitehead will be gone 100%. Getting 2 back of Flip, Mitchell, Proctor, Roach would be a W in my eyes. More than that would be amazing.

Had the same feeling as the 2020 season was ending, and all of those guys left except Mark and Wendell, both of which had amazing seasons the following year.

Reactions: christophero
I think games are won and lost in May, with the deadline. Keels was kind of the tipping point for us regarding being too young. Where would Gonzaga be without Timme and Swarther? These decisions are huge, maybe moreso than recruiting. Just getting Roach and Mitchell back I'd be thrilled.

For as many issues that NIL has caused so far, one positive thing that it should bring for college basketball is keeping guys in school. UNC would have a whole new team this year if not for NIL and you can’t convince me otherwise.

This is going to be a massive offseason for us and let’s hope that NIL does its magic.

Mitchell and Roach are probably our best bets. Maybe Proctor, but the NBA seems to like his game. Flip, Lively and Whitehead are all projected in the first round. Maybe the scouts will go to our road games and their stock will drop. :) If we somehow got Roach, Proctor and Mitchell back, with Young, Blakes, Schutt and Reeves plus freshman, that is a final four team. But that does not seem likely.

Reactions: DukeJim99
I just realized if our 5 potential NBA draft picks all leave (and they were all on the latest mock draft) we'll be 0 for 10 in the NBA draft the last 2 years. with guys returning. You just have to laugh sometimes.
Which mock draft you see it on Chris ?

RrfkZ
For as many issues that NIL has caused so far, one positive thing that it should bring for college basketball is keeping guys in school. UNC would have a whole new team this year if not for NIL and you can’t convince me otherwise.

This is going to be a massive offseason for us and let’s hope that NIL does its magic.
Pretty sure the NIL $$$$ runs much deeper at UNC than Duke.

OFC

Hard to compete with all you can eat free Bojangles biscuits , chicken and fixins for life. Duke can't handle that. OFC 😀
Sky I was being PC really. When I said NIL runs deeper at Cheater Hill, I wasn't talking "chicken" feed, 🤣.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
That is gonna be a massive problem. Like it or hate it, NIL is here to stay and seems like it could really dictate who the power programs will be in the future.
Exactly! Your general public has this perception it's the same deal or payout for NAMES, IMAGES and LIKENESSES across the board. WRONG!! The bigger schools with bigger fanbases, and more importantly fat cat boosters have the CLEAR advantage. Millions are being thrown around for blue chippers from the larger P-5 schools. OFC

I suppose everybody we're playing IS "READY?" OFC
So you’re looking at it as ready vs not ready, with no levels of development?

Yes, the 8 guys playing are farther along than Schutt. You could say maybe Lively isn’t, but he’s 7’1 with a good wingspan so that helps offset not being very strong yet. Schutt is average speed north-to-south, average height, slow laterally, with a nice stroke. Hard to find the court like that.

Ok the Roach thing is a dead point but we can agree to disagree on it .

I think Foster would be better then Proctor simply given their two different backgrounds ( one FIBA and one state side high school ball.) I will agree that his three may not be better then Proctors is this year .
I like Fosters experience better for sure, but it’s hard to overcome the extra year of development either way. If we have both next year it’ll be a nice problem to have….

Reactions: sheyduke
I think games are won and lost in May, with the deadline. Keels was kind of the tipping point for us regarding being too young. Where would Gonzaga be without Timme and Swarther? These decisions are huge, maybe moreso than recruiting. Just getting Roach and Mitchell back I'd be thrilled.
Query. Why is Gonzaga so successful in getting players to stay, and we are not? OFC

So you’re looking at it as ready vs not ready, with no levels of development?

Yes, the 8 guys playing are farther along than Schutt. You could say maybe Lively isn’t, but he’s 7’1 with a good wingspan so that helps offset not being very strong yet. Schutt is average speed north-to-south, average height, slow laterally, with a nice stroke. Hard to find the court like that.
You only said Jaden wasn't "ready" in your ORIGINAL post. That's all you stated. You didn't specify "levels of development."

The game is about SCORING THE BASKETBALL, and sometimes you have to sacrifice certain aspects to achieve success in other areas.
Lively as you noted is an excellent example. (He's been an outright dud up to now.)

We NEED PERIMETER SHOOTING to keep the defense honest. Jaden is THE ONLY OPTION we have not utilized for extended minutes. I am tired of 3-20 team shooting nites from three, or 0-12 from the arc in a half(Clemson).

The fallacy in your argument Fourteen (and no disrespect, you're a fine poster), is you fail to mention Jaden is "FARTHER ALONG" in 3 PT SHOOTING than anyone we have on the roster.

Now he may get in a game and really misfire, but at the end of the day give the kid a chance. Perimeter shooting(or lack thereof) may well sink this team, but using Schutt will mean at least we explored the option. Thanks, OFC

Last edited:
I suspect that the double edged sword that is Duke recruiting is that we attract the best players because they see Duke as being their quickest ticket to the NBA, and as a result they leave as soon as they can to pursue their dreams.

I don't want to stop pursuing the best players so I guess we're stuck in this this situation for the near future. I will say it seems that Scheyer is trying to get a mix of talent so some will stay longer, but that only works if he plays them. I don't know what Schutt is thinking or what Scheyer is saying to him.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I suspect that the double edged sword that is Duke recruiting is that we attract the best players because they see Duke as being their quickest ticket to the NBA, and as a result they leave as soon as they can to pursue their dreams.

I don't want to stop pursuing the best players so I guess we're stuck in this this situation for the near future. I will say it seems that Scheyer is trying to get a mix of talent so some will stay longer, but that only works if he plays them. I don't know what Schutt is thinking or what Scheyer is saying to him.
Nothing to add. Superb post Lift!!

OFC

Query. Why is Gonzaga so successful in getting players to stay, and we are not? OFC
Gonzaga has only ever landed 2 top 10 recruits, and both of those were OAD (Suggs Holmgrem).

Gonzaga is recruiting a whole different type of kid than Duke has been. Duke has been recruiting kids who from the age 13 on have been told how great they are and how they will be in the NBA someday. Gonzaga is going after kids who probably never dreamt of being in the NBA. Some may be late bloomers and they do make the league, some are international kids who have to prove themselves for a couple years before they start showing up on draft boards.

It's a good question. Strawther would have been drafted, maybe around where Keels was. Why does he stay and Keels leaves. I think they probably talk about the NBA all the time and get swept up in it. Why does a Timme stay and Hurt leaves? No way they hang onto Holmgren, nor should they. But they've had better luck with the fringe NBA guys. When I saw that picture of Keels in a suit with our other NBA picks I knew he was gone. Maybe peer pressure? The guys at Gonzaga don't seem to view playing an extra year as a bad thing.

Last edited:
I’m not sure anyone knew how powerful the phrase “Brotherhood” would become.
The other part was K’s involvement with the Olympic team.

K made Duke the most polarized program, and it’s not even an argument. It will come down some with Jon as the coach. We just hope not too much. As I said earlier, it’s a blessing and a curse to be a Duke fan.

How many championships has Gonzaga won? I think Jon has a huge job in figuring out our recruiting, NIL, and the portal in finding the right formula. I know some are thinking the boat is sinking, but I would give him 3, probably 4 years to figure it out. Fans aren’t patient enough. Oh yeah, from what I’ve seen, Schutt ain’t ready.

Look Duke is out the top 25 . IMO they were never a top 20 team . To many I mean too many questions especially after the preseason injuries to Whitehead and Lively .
Now, those same questions have not been answered and players have not lived up to their rankings . To be honest . I don’t think these kids care about Rankings but then again they can come back against Miami hungry . Either way it’s on the players to change things . Scheyer can’t hit shots, he can’t hold on to a rebound, he can’t help the turnovers to an extent .
It’s just time for them to man up .

Our schedule
Maimi twice
UNC twice
Virginia
ND
@Syracuse
@VT
Louisville
Wake
NC State
Louisville