ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Clemson

You only said Jaden wasn't "ready" in your ORIGINAL post. That's all you stated. You didn't specify "levels of development."

The game is about SCORING THE BASKETBALL, and sometimes you have to sacrifice certain aspects to achieve success in other areas.
Lively as you noted is an excellent example. (He's been an outright dud up to now.)

We NEED PERIMETER SHOOTING to keep the defense honest. Jaden is THE ONLY OPTION we have not utilized for extended minutes. I am tired of 3-20 team shooting nites from three, or 0-12 from the arc in a half(Clemson).

The fallacy in your argument Fourteen (and no disrespect, you're a fine poster), is you fail to mention Jaden is "FARTHER ALONG" in 3 PT SHOOTING than anyone we have on the roster.

Now he may get in a game and really misfire, but at the end of the day give the kid a chance. Perimeter shooting(or lack thereof) may well sink this team, but using Schutt will mean at least we explored the option. Thanks, OFC
I said and then more posts about current players being better than future players. Then some keep saying Schutt will be back and a piece next year (along with griping that he should be playing now). He’s not ready as shown so far.

Are we talking stand still 3 point shooting with no defender? If so, great! Problem is he has one current strength that’s easy to defend. I know we need scoring but in the context of being able to move teams enough to open the 3 point opportunity. With him out there we have less ball handling and a slower kid. Easier to defend then.

Reactions: sheyduke
I said and then more posts about current players being better than future players. Then some keep saying Schutt will be back and a piece next year (along with griping that he should be playing now). He’s not ready as shown so far.

Are we talking stand still 3 point shooting with no defender? If so, great! Problem is he has one current strength that’s easy to defend. I know we need scoring but in the context of being able to move teams enough to open the 3 point opportunity. With him out there we have less ball handling and a slower kid. Easier to defend then.
Not going to keep going back and forth. You know my feelings, and they are not changing: Schutt should be playing. From what I am hearing we'll see him getting meaningful minutes Saturday.

OFC

Our schedule
Maimi twice
UNC twice
Virginia
ND
@Syracuse
@VT
Louisville
Wake
NC State
Louisville
GT
Looks like 8-5 or 7-6 to me.
Pray for a Miami split- 1-1
Pray for a UNC split- 2-2
UVA- L- 2-3
ND- L 2-4
Cuse- W- 3-4
VT- L- 3-5
LouisvilleW- 4-5
Wake-W- 5-6
State- W- 6-5
Lville- W- 7-5
GT-W- 8-5

Really need to split those top two or sweep one

Cuse is playing better. They just beat VT and ND. That game at the Dome could be tough. Girard always seems to hit a bunch of 3s . They are are 5-3 in the ACC.

Last edited:
If he does and can not hit will the ,” play Schutt!” Stop.
To answer your question, NO. One game is not the answer. I think Jaden deserves much more than a token appearance. At this point he should be SHARING time with Grandison.

OFC

To answer your question, NO. One game is not the answer. I think Jaden deserves much more than a token appearance. At this point he should be SHARING time with Grandison.

OFC
Been said this and got dogged for it due to the leadership and experience others said he brings , speaking of Grandison a course.

I trust in Scheyer and Schutt isn’t the first shooter to come to Duke to ride the pine. Maybe Scheyer has said enough is enough with the Grandison experiment and if all he is bringing is a couple rebounds a couple good plays here snd there with a couple made three’s then it’s time to see if Schutt can give the same .

Reactions: hart2chesson
Shey have a good day my friend! OFC
I wish Hart . I’ve never seen 20 year olds move so slow lol. My day consist of phone conversations and asking ,” you sure your in the right job field ?” Not to mention putting in the job lol. If I’m on DI during the week from 8 am to 3. It’s either because I’m off ( very unlikely ) or looking for smarter individuals to talk with so I don’t loose my cool lol

I wish Hart . I’ve never seen 20 year olds move so slow lol. My day consist of phone conversations and asking ,” you sure your in the right job field ?” Not to mention putting in the job lol. If I’m on DI during the week from 8 am to 3. It’s either because I’m off ( very unlikely ) or looking for smarter individuals to talk with so I don’t loose my cool lol
I hear ya pal. I am sure I am much older than you, but still working, Still in sales, and that P-U-B-L-I-C gets tougher to deal with everyday. I come here for much more intelligent life and stress relief too! OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Not going to keep going back and forth. You know my feelings, and they are not changing: Schutt should be playing. From what I am hearing we'll see him getting meaningful minutes Saturday.

OFC
I understand your feelings I’m just not seeing any valid reasoning for it. All good. Schutt may be gone at seasons end anyways then we can speculate that he was the answer that got away….

Reactions: hart2chesson
Giving Shutt some court time will be a good move. If he has issues in the man defense we can always show some zone. Each game is different and opponent should determine what we need from outside. Taking playing time from our one and dones shouldn't matter as they are getting drafted on potential.

Reactions: Mac9192
It's part of team development I think. I said it before, run a couple plays for him, a high screen or something to give Schutt an opportunity to catch and Schutt.

This week break in the middle of conference play really sucks, especially coming off a loss. :(

We need to beat Miami at home. I don't think it's an overstatement to say we are in trouble if we lose. We'd then be 13-6 heading into a tough stretch.
Agreed. Looking at Kenpom, we're currently at 27 and Miami is at 42. But looking over the past 5 games, we've played like the 140th best team. Think I'll wait till the game is over before deciding if I'll watch.

Reactions: christophero
I’ll watch it . This Duke team needed a week off to look at reality . Either play like you can or keep loosing . Ain’t no other way to put it . I don’t see Schutt leaving .

I’ll watch it . This Duke team needed a week off to look at reality . Either play like you can or keep loosing . Ain’t no other way to put it . I don’t see Schutt leaving .
That’s what’s funny to me. People say Roach is leaving but Schutt, who can’t sniff the court, is staying….

It's all about which direction you are trending. Kentucky has a similar record but they are coming off 2 big wins and seem to be figuring it out. If we can beat Miami and GT that would put us at 15-5 put us in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
That’s what’s funny to me. People say Roach is leaving but Schutt, who can’t sniff the court, is staying….
I see what your saying 44 but you know as well as I do no one knows what a kid will do but as for me I think Roach goes unless his season is completely done .

Reactions: Fourteen44
I recently watched some videos of Maravich. Holy cow that guy was good. He averaged 40 a game at LSU, and he made 5 better passes a game than Roach makes in a season.

That’s weird cus his dad was head coach at Nc St iirc. Whatever it worked
In his early years his dad barely worked with him he would watch guys on the street ball courts and started teaching his self how to dribble and pass

I just read Blakes broke his nose. He will play tomm. but with a mask. Roach is a gametime decision. He hopes to be able to practice today. Sounds like he's likely out for Miami. Can Proctor and Blakes hold their own against Miami's guards?

Last edited:
This will be very telling on the status of our man Schutt. Who will be the guards tomorrow? If Schutt doesn't get in for this game, then he is further out of the rotation than we thought.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT