ADVERTISEMENT

Newest Kenpom ACC ratings

I’ll admit I’m being grouchy and irritable.
But when I go on a Duke board, the last thing I want to see is UNC fans on the Duke board talking about how UNC is making them so proud right now.
So yeah when I see that, I get a little grouchy and irritable

Hey Gill you're honest, nothing wrong with that and you're generally right in your thoughts. Lot of good people from this board have been banned over at THR....

OFC

I know the Cheats moniker will continue to be thrown around, but I suspect with not as much fervor.

Hate to tell you but the "Cheats moniker" will stick forever. In fact its more alive and well than ever, and you will be reminded of this very much at least in trips to Durham and Raleigh this year.

#RoyKnew

OFC

If the phrase ‘lighten up Francis’ doesn’t put a smile on your face, it’s time to re-evaluate your life choices.

There was a time when some Heels posted here regularly. The banter was cheeky and fun. We discussed basketball. Let’s bring it back.

You're not funny, that's just it. I've had people here say it to me and I chuckled a bit. Your timing, and selection for that matter, are awful.

Reactions: GillJET
Screw all this UNC talk. I don't mean to sound as a downer or unappreciative and especially elitist but if we lose 6 acc games it will be like whats the point in having a consistently great recruiting year and getting the number 1 recruit or 2 or 3 of the top 5 or 6 recruits. Whats the big deal with having the best recruiting year of any other ACC team when we are predicted to go 12 and 6 and tied with 2 other teams for second place that are produced from players that don't seem to be Duke worthy. Doubtful we can do much better that the freshmen class we are currently playing. I mean what is the frigging point and answer to being practically perfect at every position and still lose 6 acc games and what is the answer in fielding a team that can go 38-2 or 39-1 or even 37-3. Until one and done changes is this what we are destined to have. If we put 5 players in the 1st or 2nd round and can't win the acc that just doesn't quiet seem accomplished enough.

I don't think we will lose 6 acc games but maybe just 3 and we will win the ACC.

Last edited:
Reactions: GillJET and Mac9192
Screw all this UNC talk. I don't mean to sound as a downer or unappreciative and especially elitist but if we lose 6 acc games it will be like whats the point in having a consistently great recruiting year and getting the number 1 recruit or 2 or 3 of the top 5 or 6 recruits. Whats the big deal with having the best recruiting year of any other ACC team when we are predicted to go 12 and 6 and tied with 2 other teams for second place that are produced from players that don't seem to be Duke worthy. Doubtful we can do much better that the freshmen class we are currently playing. I mean what is the frigging point and answer to being practically perfect at every position and still lose 6 acc games and what is the answer in fielding a team that can go 38-2 or 39-1 or even 37-3. Until one and done changes is this what we are destined to have. If we put 5 players in the 1st or 2nd round and can't win the acc that just doesn't quiet seem accomplished enough.

I don't think we will lose 6 acc games but maybe just 3 and we will win the ACC.
If we lose six ACC games i will be quite shocked and very disappointed. Gameday today. Let’s go.

Have you tried telling them that? Just curious....OFC

Nope. I've posted less than 10 times in the last 7-8 years there. I don't even read it TBH. The premium board is night and day.

Hate to tell you but the "Cheats moniker" will stick forever. In fact its more alive and well than ever, and you will be reminded of this very much at least in trips to Durham and Raleigh this year.

#RoyKnew

OFC

- it will stick with the rabid fan. But the ESPNs and Dan Kanes of the world will move on. It won't be a story.

- of course Roy knew. That's why he got everyone out of that major by 2009.

It was actually only 0-2....then UNC reeled off 13 straight before losing to Maryland. But yes, the home loss, for that team to BC was surprising, to say the least.

Really? I could have sworn it was 3 straight losses. I remember missing the BC game for some function and being shocked. I think that was when Rice was torching us.

You're not funny, that's just it. I've had people here say it to me and I chuckled a bit. Your timing, and selection for that matter, are awful.

Thanks for your input. It's valued.

- it will stick with the rabid fan. But the ESPNs and Dan Kanes of the world will move on. It won't be a story.

- of course Roy knew. That's why he got everyone out of that major by 2009.

It will "always" be a story because of the BAROMETER its used as a measuring stick to actual punishments dealt out by the NCAA. When a school feels they're hit too harshly, they will reference the UNC scandal. (Univ N. Colorado) last week for instance. In addition I wouldnt write off Dan Kane just yet either. He still has a huge interest in the story.

OFC

Reactions: GillJET
It will "always" be a story because of the BAROMETER its used as a measuring stick to actual punishments dealt out by the NCAA. When a school feels they're hit too harshly, they will reference the UNC scandal. (Univ N. Colorado) last week for instance. In addition I wouldnt write off Dan Kane just yet either. He still has a huge interest in the story.

OFC
I’m not saying otherwise. What I am saying is it’s over. There won’t be daily reports. There won’t be speculation. The coverage will a candle instead of a wildfire.

Kane is hack. He got called out by the SACS President. He was trolled by the Count and used him as an unvetted source. He can continue to run with it if he wants.

There's a lot of flag-waving opponents can use against UNC and the academic scandal/cheating they were doing, but Dan Kane wouldn't be the best source. He's a hack.

Dan Kane is no hack...The SACS president told him in a RECORDED conversation SACS would look into the UNC scandal after the NCAA was done. She later lied and blamed Dan for writing an erroneous story. Tellingly though, she NEVER requested he make a CORRECTION in his story....OFC

Dan Kane is no hack...The SACS president told him in a RECORDED conversation SACS would look into the UNC scandal after the NCAA was done. She later lied and blamed Dan for writing an erroneous story. Tellingly though, she NEVER requested he make a CORRECTION in his story....OFC
is the audio of that conversation available online?

LOL 12-6? Come on guys you can't actually think we'll lose 5 more games. I know last year was rough, but if K can't get these guys to at least 14 wins I would be shocked. We're too talented. We lost our first road game in conference play, which it feels like that happens more than not. I think we need some reaffirmation tonight. Tough as a Duke fan to sit and wait for 10 days after a loss.

LOL 12-6? Come on guys you can't actually think we'll lose 5 more games. I know last year was rough, but if K can't get these guys to at least 14 wins I would be shocked. We're too talented. We lost our first road game in conference play, which it feels like that happens more than not. I think we need some reaffirmation tonight. Tough as a Duke fan to sit and wait for 10 days after a loss.
Bingo. Before that BC game you had people saying we would go 17-1, 16-2 or 15-3 in the acc. This team needed a kick in the butt, and again give credit to BC- they shot lights out and many of them were contested. We will come back.

Said it all year, if our defense gets to top 20 in Ken-Pom by March, it's OVER. We will beat teams by more in the tourney than Hanstravel's 09 UNC team did.

I don't see that. I think it would clearly make us the favorite, though. That 2009 team didn't have a single weakness, as much as it pains me to say that. I always say the worst day of the year that season happened 10 months before they won the national championship....and it was when all those guys announced they were coming back. It was over right then and there.

I don't see that. I think it would clearly make us the favorite, though. That 2009 team didn't have a single weakness, as much as it pains me to say that. I always say the worst day of the year that season happened 10 months before they won the national championship....and it was when all those guys announced they were coming back. It was over right then and there.
Fair. However, I believe the same could be said for this years Duke team in August when Bagley committed.
Obviously were younger, may very well have more talent though. I also think college basketball is just more down now-a-days than it was 10 years ago, guys leave earlier than ever now and some guys now explore other options. Give me our offense any day over the 09 UNC offense, however give me the 09 UNC team over this Duke team (for now).

Fair. However, I believe the same could be said for this years Duke team in August when Bagley committed.
Obviously were younger, may very well have more talent though. I also think college basketball is just more down now-a-days than it was 10 years ago, guys leave earlier than ever now and some guys now explore other options. Give me our offense any day over the 09 UNC offense, however give me the 09 UNC team over this Duke team (for now).
Good post.

I do agree that college basketball is more 'down' today, relatively speaking. Talent-wise, this Duke team probably has more long term pro potential than that UNC team, too....but I think age plays a huge factor in comparisons, and you have to remember, pretty much that whole team had NCAAT and Final Four experience.

As for the better offense, I love our guys, but UNC was elite by every single metric. Hansbrough was a dominant force, Lawson the best guard in the country that year, Green was one of the more complete seniors the ACC has seen in sometime, and that team had three guys in Lawson, Ellington and Green who shot 40%+ from behind the arc. They also defended, although I know some of those defensive numbers were a little skewed because their offense allowed them to take more chances.

I do agree that college basketball is more 'down' today, relatively speaking. Talent-wise, this Duke team probably has more long term pro potential than that UNC team, too....but I think age plays a huge factor in comparisons, and you have to remember, pretty much that whole team had NCAAT and Final Four experience.

As for the better offense, I love our guys, but UNC was elite by every single metric. Hansbrough was a dominant force, Lawson the best guard in the country that year, Green was one of the more complete seniors the ACC has seen in sometime, and that team had three guys in Lawson, Ellington and Green who shot 40%+ from behind the arc. They also defended, although I know some of those defensive numbers were a little skewed because their offense allowed them to take more chances.

Yeah I think '09 UNC is the only team in KenPom era to rank outside 20th in defensive efficiency and still win the title. Usually, the champion is top 20 in both offense and defense.

I still believe that '09 UCONN team that lost to MSU in the FF could have beaten that UNC team.

Yeah I think '09 UNC is the only team in KenPom era to rank outside 20th in defensive efficiency and still win the title. Usually, the champion is top 20 in both offense and defense.

I still believe that '09 UCONN team that lost to MSU in the FF could have beaten that UNC team.

They were ranked 18, but yes, that's the worst of the era to win it all with a defense ranked that low.

UConn was certainly one of the teams that season that at least had a chance. Even still, if they played 10 times UNC probably wins at least seven times over them.

I'm still pissed Lawson got that DUI after the 2008 season. Ultimately, I think the character hit he took from that is what pushed him back to college for another year.

Wasn't that the year the Big East got 3 of the 4 one-seeds??

If I recall correctly, that was the year the Big East was LOADED. Pitt was very good, and throughout the year I thought Louisville was the best team in the country. Not to mention Villanova, who took us out that year. Would have loved to see Uconn play UNC instead of MSU.

Reactions: Quavarius
They were ranked 18, but yes, that's the worst of the era to win it all with a defense ranked that low.

UConn was certainly one of the teams that season that at least had a chance. Even still, if they played 10 times UNC probably wins at least seven times over them.

I'm still pissed Lawson got that DUI after the 2008 season. Ultimately, I think the character hit he took from that is what pushed him back to college for another year.

I thought it was like 21st or 22nd?

Wasn't that the year the Big East got 3 of the 4 one-seeds??

If I recall correctly, that was the year the Big East was LOADED. Pitt was very good, and throughout the year I thought Louisville was the best team in the country. Not to mention Villanova, who took us out that year. Would have loved to see Uconn play UNC instead of MSU.

Yep

Reactions: jwill133
As of data through January 2nd, we sit #1 in Ken-Pom offensive efficiency and #78 in defensive efficiency. Clearly the FSU game hurt us in the defensive metrics.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Our offense is probably good enough to win every game if we can get that number into the 30s somehow. But it would be awfully hard to beat five good teams in a row come March with the defense we have now.

Just curious where did the 15 team sit in in kenpom as of right now? I remember it being low but not sure how low

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT