ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Basketball: 10 Most Hated Players of All Time (4 Duke players in the top 6)

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
I saw this on Bleacher Report this morning..

10. Tyler Hansbrough (UNC)
9. Joakim Noah (Florida)
8. Ron Artest (St. Johns)
7. Aaron Craft (Ohio State)
6. Gerald Henderson (DUKE)
5. J.J. Redick (DUKE)
4. Marshall Henderson (Ole Miss)
3. Eric Devendorf (Syracuse)
2. Grayson Allen (DUKE)
1. Christian Lattner (DUKE)

...there are a couple obvious things that jumped out to me about this list:

• 4 DUKE players made the list (all in the top 6).. and the top 2 are DUKE players.

• 7 of the 10 are white players.. the top 5 are all white players.

• 6 of the 10 are ACC players.

• I don’t remember Gerald Henderson really being “hated” that much outside of UNC/ACC.. I was surprised to see him so high on the list.

• Only the 4 DUKE players, Artest, & Noah had any type of real NBA career (I’m predicting Grayson will have a good career).

• If there was a “most loved” list, I’m pretty sure a DUKE player would be #1 on that list too (Zion).

If he would have played for Duke, he would be in the top 3 most hated.

Whether this runs people the wrong way or not, it’s much easier for fans and media to despise a good white player.

Think you have a very SOLID POINT! Grayson's incidents are much more publicized IMO than say a Draymond Green. Imagine if Grayson's trips, etc were as frequent as Draynond!!! He would really get ripped a new one!

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Was Joakim Noah ever hated? Maybe I forgot that. I thought people started hating him in the NBA.... As for UF players, I certainly hated Matt Walsh more

Reactions: JC CATS
I've never seen Gerald Henderson on any of these kinds of lists before. Surely he's not on this list because of the Beaker incident... I would've thought that would make him more revered.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The Henderson/Hanstravel incident was certainly high profile, but no way does Hendo beat out Wojo for a 'most hated spot'. Wojo was despised for his physical, high intensity, in your face style of defense.
I've never seen a list of hated Duke players, or of all college basketball players, that didn't have Wojo high on their list.

OFC

9. Joakim Noah (Florida)
5. J.J. Redick (DUKE)
2. Grayson Allen (DUKE)

• 4 DUKE players made the list (all in the top 6).. and the top 2 are DUKE players.

• I don’t remember Gerald Henderson really being “hated” that much outside of UNC/ACC.. I was surprised to see him so high on the list.

• Only the 4 DUKE players, Artest, & Noah had any type of real NBA career (I’m predicting Grayson will have a good career).

• If there was a “most loved” list, I’m pretty sure a DUKE player would be #1 on that list too (Zion).
Its eye opening (to me anyway) that 3 of the Duke players showed a pretty serious act of aggresion at least once towards other players while the other one (JJ) showed a great amount of aggresion towards destroying the net.

Last edited:
Its eye opening (to me anyway) that 3 of the Duke players showed a pretty serious act of aggresion at least once towards other players while the other one (JJ) showed a great amount of aggresion towards the destroying the net.
You calling the Aminu Timberlake incident a serious act of aggression?

One player I would put on the list would be John Roach of usc some of you would not know who he is but he was a punk this was when usc was in the ACC.
SKY you know who he was.

Really surprised to see G on that list. I know he had that incident where Hansbrough's nose viciously attacked his elbow, but he wasn't hated anything at all like the other guys on that list.

Reactions: bullettoothtony
One player I would put on the list would be John Roach of usc some of you would not know who he is but he was a punk this was when usc was in the ACC.
SKY you know who he was.

For sure. John Ribbock was a turd also. OFC

Reactions: RHFD
I get Laettner being #1. No one in the modern era has been more successful than him in the tournament. Plus, he’s white and played into the bad boy persona and was a big part of Duke becoming the face of CBB.

I get Grayson being on the list, but honestly I don’t think he makes the list in 10 years. He’s there bc his actions are still fresh.

Redick is there bc he was dominant and played into the arrogant persona (shocker). I thought he’d be higher. The fact that Grayson is higher is shocking.

Henderson? Besides Hanstravel viciously attacking him with his nose (credit to whoever posted that first on this board), what did he do?

One thing you can take away from this list is that for the past 30 years there has only been one king of CBB. Duke. Like @Hurley22 said, “they hate us cause they ain’t us.”

I don't understand why Battier, Hurley, Collins, Wojo, Ferry and Paulus did not make the list. Kind of disappointing. We could have had a complete sweep, OFC

SKY you know who he was.

Roach was a little jerk, but he could ball!! Another lesser known player, but no doubt the meanest on those tremendous Gamecock teams of late 60s and very early 70s was John Ribock. He actually hit and/or kicked several players. Roach and Ribock would definitely make such a list if it were compiled in that era.Mean as they were I still always pulled for SC vs Tar Holes!

OFC

Reactions: RHFD

9. Joakim Noah (Florida)
5. J.J. Redick (DUKE)
2. Grayson Allen (DUKE)

Dirty Dan Wells, N.C. State. Old, old-timers will remember him.

Speaking of NC State most of their fans I KNOW still harbor a deep dislike of Chris Paul to this day! He would make their list for ONE PLAY:

OFC

SKY you know who he was.
I agree and believe that whole team would be in consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT