ADVERTISEMENT

More...

Because his mom has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt. I think most of those dismissing Wendell's claims that she was misquoted see a loyal son defending a (known) crazy mother.

Also fair

I'm not sure it's fair to say Mrs. Carter is "known crazy," simply because she has made comments you don't agree with. Personally, I disagree with the idea with the slavery comparison pertaining to the NCAA. I can, however, say that collegiate sports as a whole in this country are able to function due to the revenue produced by a small number of athletes in two sports. That's not slavery but that certainly wouldn't be considered fair compensation.

The fact that so many people, most of whom have no dog in the fight outside of the entertainment they get out of the current NCAA model, get so angry about comments like the ones made by Mrs. Carter make the elephant in the room that much larger.

I'm not sure it's fair to say Mrs. Carter is "known crazy," simply because she has made comments you don't agree with. Personally, I disagree with the idea with the slavery comparison pertaining to the NCAA. I can, however, say that collegiate sports as a whole in this country are able to function due to the revenue produced by a small number of athletes in two sports. That's not slavery but that certainly wouldn't be considered fair compensation.

The fact that so many people, most of whom have no dog in the fight outside of the entertainment they get out of the current NCAA model, get so angry about comments like the ones made by Mrs. Carter make the elephant in the room that much larger.
I understand a lot of what she’s saying and many of her points have some real merit. Obviously her slavery comment was a really bad and uncalled for comparison in my opinion but when she came out with that whole article a few weeks ago i actually stood up for her more than i disregarded her points.

Two things though- 1. She is crazy (that’s not an opinion based solely on her latest comments but the last few years and what I’ve heard) 2. I think her comments regarding the Bagley stuff (while i get them and obviously if they are true in the context they were given to us) were sour grapes. I get why she may feel that way but IMO it comes off as selfish.

I understand a lot of what she’s saying and many of her points have some real merit. Obviously her slavery comment was a really bad and uncalled for comparison in my opinion but when she came out with that whole article a few weeks ago i actually stood up for her more than i disregarded her points.

Two things though- 1. She is crazy (that’s not an opinion based solely on her latest comments but the last few years and what I’ve heard) 2. I think her comments regarding the Bagley stuff (while i get them and obviously if they are true in the context they were given to us) were sour grapes. I get why she may feel that way but IMO it comes off as selfish.

I should clarify that I'm one of those people who steers away from giving personal commentary about people I don't know. Like I can comfortably make comments about someone when they make statements about beliefs that define him or her as a person, but I tend not to do it based on something like this (i.e. a level of disappointment about how her son was used while he was at Duke). Furthermore, that is the opposite of selfish because, if the latest comments are true, she's commenting on behalf of someone else (her son).

Finally, I can't say any of the comments attributed to Mrs. Carter make her crazy. An biased parent perhaps, but I don't think that makes her crazy.

I should clarify that I'm one of those people who steers away from giving personal commentary about people I don't know. Like I can comfortably make comments about someone when they make statements about beliefs that define him or her as a person, but I tend not to do it based on something like this (i.e. a level of disappointment about how her son was used while he was at Duke). Furthermore, that is the opposite of selfish because, if the latest comments are true, she's commenting on behalf of someone else (her son).

Finally, I can't say any of the comments attributed to Mrs. Carter make her crazy. An biased parent perhaps, but I don't think that makes her crazy.
Perhaps outlandish is a better word.
The point remains, it is certainly justifiable to look at this situation and say Wendell is just trying to make better a mess that his incorrect mother has created. And his mother has done herself no favors in the credibility department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT