ADVERTISEMENT

More...

IPSYCHOSIS

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2016
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newsobserver.com/sports/article213802009.html
Just go read this and you tell me .

My highlight of the evening :

“described the NCAA's amateurism structure as exploitative while saying its restrictive structure is why her son needed to leave Duke after his freshman season.

Hahahhaahah yea I believe that....she is sooooo..... I’ll contain what I think of her because its still Duke, but it’s nothing good at all .Yes (some) of the stuff she says after dissecting has very little sense to it. After you tweak pretty much 99% of it . Lol :) Carter should have just rose to God for a year, came down blessed the GOAT with an education, and Rich. I guess a year would be too long if that happened though, and not fair. Lol boo hoo blahhhh. Sign up for the military!!!! Sounds like she just talks to hear herself talk, and no real idea what she is saying (99%) the time. Makes me want to scratch my eye balls out listening to her. Literally every word! I will not read another thing she says anymore. NBA is going to be a rude awakening for her. So much I could say but I’m done. My vent is over. Embarrassing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dukeman
I just read it. Perhaps she should realize its a team sport and everyone has a role. Sad
So much you could criticize from what she says , but I just pat you on the back for being able to get through it and still see!

G
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newsobserver.com/sports/article213802009.html
Just go read this and you tell me .

My highlight of the evening :

“described the NCAA's amateurism structure as exploitative while saying its restrictive structure is why her son needed to leave Duke after his freshman season.

Hahahhaahah yea I believe that....she is sooooo..... I’ll contain what I think of her because its still Duke, but it’s nothing good at all .Yes (some) of the stuff she says after dissecting has very little sense to it. After you tweak pretty much 99% of it . Lol :) Carter should have just rose to God for a year, came down blessed the GOAT with an education, and Rich. I guess a year would be too long if that happened though, and not fair. Lol boo hoo blahhhh. Sign up for the military!!!! Sounds like she just talks to hear herself talk, and no real idea what she is saying (99%) the time. Makes me want to scratch my eye balls out listening to her. Literally every word! I will not read another thing she says anymore. So much I could say but I’m done. My vent is over

Majority of athletes and their parents think this. She just don’t hold her tongue. Only part that’s crazy to me is when they say they get held back by the system. In the NBA you’re gonna have a specific role unless you’re the superstar. It’s worse because almost everyone in the nba was the star on their team in college

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Carter was the number 7 pick in the draft and she felt he was used at Duke. I wonder how Berry and Pinson feel about Carolina? She needs to move on.

Da champ it’s funny you think that now hahahaha :) (joking) no pun. This had me posting at 12 am!

Ugh, she said Wendell was “told his role on the court.” No shit lady, that’s a coach’s job. Sounds like she just wanted Wendell to get more shots and is sour about bringing in Bagley late. There were no promises made that they would not bring in another big man. I’m sure that kind of sucked, but you can’t just demand the team bend over for you. Your son still got #7 pick money for a great big market team. I know the term “entitled” is loaded so don’t read too far into it when I say she comes off like an entitled b!tc&. College sports do exploit top players somewhat, but that has nothing to do with Duke. Get the facts straight.

Purple lipstick has me frustrated ....:) She basically seems like she has no idea what she is talking about and just ranting . She stole some ammunition from her son and started talking about roles now!! Ugh. God bless her. She went to college?

Last edited:
Only Lavar doesn’t really believe his own garbage. I think Ms. Carter does. The senseless rants of a loving mother don’t belong in SI.
Im more mad at the people entertaining her mumble jumble and reporting it ! I don’t think Duke takes a hit . I think people are seeing the bright light now, and it’s just Lavar type news.(entertaining)

Last edited:
I'll say this: Kylia did no favors for Duke in this article, paricularly referencing Wendell didnt get to show his full skillset. Its a very thinly veiled reference to the team was built around Bagley, and Wendell even acknowledged his own resentment when Bagley came aboard late summer.

Was Carter told early on he would be the centerpiece in a more traditional Duke line-up, per emphasis on primarily one big?I guess we'll never know, and that will always be a burning question in my mind. However Kylia Carter's 15 minutes is over now hopefully, and perhaps she did provoke those Rhode Island fans....Move along mom...

OFC

Ugh, she said Wendell was “told his role on the court.” No shit lady, that’s a coach’s job. Sounds like she just wanted Wendell to get more shots and is sour about bringing in Bagley late. There were no promises made that they would not bring in another big man. I’m sure that kind of sucked, but you can’t just demand the team bend over for you. Your son still got #7 pick money for a great big market team. I know the term “entitled” is loaded so don’t read too far into it when I say she comes off like an entitled b!tc&. College sports do exploit top players somewhat, but that has nothing to do with Duke. Get the facts straight.

What a mouth but then no surprise. Dismiss out of hand.

Reactions: lkc1234
I really like Wendell and liked him at Duke. I recall his taking lots of 3 point shots as the season progressed, getting lots of touches in the post, showing off his passing skills at the high post, and being the team's top shot blocker. All this while being on national TV all the time.

Wendell was only limited by his own foul trouble. Not sure how he wasn't given the opportunity to show his skills.

Reactions: LH24ND
Her wearing her Harvard shirt... which I think was just her way of pointing out MY SON COULD GO TO HARVARD rubbed me wrong right of the bat. It seemed more about her... Like DUKE is a bad school!!

I just hope her antics before and during Wendell's stay don't have any repercussions NCAA wise, which sounded minor... but her credibility and character are waning. He was drafted 7th!! and Very Happy for him! I think he can be great, the University didn't hold him back... He could have been the featured big, but Marvin also arguably opened things up some for him too.

I always want Duke guys to do well... and he is NO EXCEPTION! I think he could have as good or even better career than Marvin due to his good true post moves and better defense. He is also a very good shooter. His stroke looks like it is more fundamentally sound than Marvin's. Wendell is a good athlete, Marvin is just freakish, and that is why K ran a lot of stuff through Marvin in games...

The cream will rise to the top if Wendell works hard and does the right things on and off the court, He will have an incredible career! Why not just let Wendell show us he should have been higher than the 7th pick and let it go! She should be well taken care of by Wendell, so she should consider herself ultra fortunate! Only so many people win the lottery... I don't know why his mom has to be all about herself... Support Wendell and move on!

These young parents. Is it just me, or somewhere in Durham is a 71 year old probably banging his head against the wall?
This is the garbage that comes with the one and done kid.
Sure you want to continue coaching Coach?

I lost any respect I may have had for her when she compared college basketball to slavery. When you play the slavery card, it's a worthless argument virtually every time. Loved watching her son play though. The loss to KU (we were robbed) was tough and he showed his love for Duke in that moment. It really hit him hard. Good luck to him

Di dnt find it that bad. Ironically, what she is complainining about the most basically relates to being a member of any sports team at almost any level. If I tell my Little League kid to bunt to set up an opportunity for a better hitter, that kid better bunt. As for Wendel, how could Bagley coming aboard late NOT be a little bittersweet? You go from being the man on a very good team to probably #2 on a potentially hreat team. He embraced his role, his new teammate, and represented Duke in an amazing manner. I'm good.

Reactions: dbav
I'll say this: Kylia did no favors for Duke in this article, paricularly referencing Wendell didnt get to show his full skillset. Its a very thinly veiled reference to the team was built around Bagley, and Wendell even acknowledged his own resentment when Bagley came aboard late summer.

Was Carter told early on he would be the centerpiece in a more traditional Duke line-up, per emphasis on primarily one big?I guess we'll never know, and that will always be a burning question in my mind. However Kylia Carter's 15 minutes is over now hopefully, and perhaps she did provoke those Rhode Island fans....Move along mom...

OFC
Carter must have been promised something.

Reactions: hart2chesson
One year at Duke plus all the meals, training facilities, education all fit for a King... While some students have to pay 50k plus? for the one year at a premier University without all these perks? I know K had put a number of over 100k per year! it costs the University for the Scholarship to educate, accommodate, feed, equip, provide tutoring if needed, and prepare these kids to succeed in life... and this is not worth anything?? He is being taken advantage of?? He is a multimillionaire now as a result.

I had to pay my way to a much lesser university even though I was a very good student, and he went for free and was treated to everything permissible in exchange for putting in the work to play a sport for arguably the best coach at the best university in the world? Harvard is that much better? It would have helped him manage his potentially 100's of millions of $$ better?

Is it ok to provide a stipend? Yeah I am fine with that if the NCAA wants to do that... I have no idea where she is going with this, but let's come back to reality.

As a golf coach in HS, trying to help get kids a scholarship to help their parents so they don't have to pay for their education if/when they get a scholarship... That is worth A LOT of $$ to the family! HUGE DEAL!!! And the kid not starting out 50 or 100 k plus in the hole in student loans... Big deal for the kid too! No debt when you start out at a bottom of the rung job in your career??

So very, very few are fortunate enough to get an athletic scholarship and that SCHOLARSHIP is a huge deal!!! Treated like prisoners or slaves? ABSURD. WOW.

I hope Wendell has managed and will manage to keep a good head on his shoulders in spite of his mom, he had a lot to overcome with Kylia as a role model... She does more harm than the NCAA ever could do to Wendell!!

I wonder if it’s dawned on Mrs. Carter that the main reason her son was a lottery pick was due to the exposure her son got while playing at Duke. A thank you would be nice

I do understand the heart of the issue for her. I don't totally agree, but I try and be open to opposing viewpoints because I think often times the truth lies somewhere in the middle. IMO, she's being a bit extreme.

Wendell had every opportunity to showcase his talents at Duke. He didn't get as many shots as maybe he would have liked, but he clearly was able to put his talents on full display.

He was one of my favorite players from this past team, partly because I think he is somewhat of a throwback, do the dirty work, kind of player. I think all four of the other players had more "wow" moments or capabilities, but Wendell was just so steady. He's going to have a nice NBA career.

Give me a break. I like Wendell but maybe he should have gone to Harvard, taken 30 shots a game and gotten a semester and a half of Ivy League education.

Not defending her at all, because her son was picked 7th. I think she's still chapped over being told her son would be the focal point. Then Marvin came and that changed.
I'm not so sure we would be hearing anything had Bagley not been in the picture.
Before anyone jumps on me, think outside the box. I don't think she could handle her "baby" not getting the attention "she" thought he deserved.
Marvin at #2==1st year $6 million
Wendell at#7==1st year $3.6 million

Possible she feels her son was cheated out of several million?

Guess there’s no working for something these days. People just expect stuff to be handed to them . The people she talked about making money (worked) for their position. “Don’t pay the players” “the players are just slaves” “whites make all the money“ “players get no compensation” “ I want my son to go pro” I want him to stay in school” “ I’m glad he was at Duke” “Duke held him back” “ ....steady flow of contradiction bolonga .Nothings good enough for people like this. Sad. Should be thanking god for everything you got that 99% of the population doesn’t, instead of complaining about the same rules (everybody) follows ! Lucky enough to follow. I honestly think she just doesn’t like whites, and thinks players are mistreated because the majority are lucky enough to be black...Take it how you’d like. Players arnt mistreated or even close anyway!!! It’s her perception of slavery .I think that’s just what it all boils down too. (Mistreatment) (racial) (entitlement) Treating everybody completely equally is not good enough these days. There’s always some sort of catering that has to be done for say a certain sex, or race , or whatever, and it’s not good enough anyway ,and just goes in a circle over and over. Makes everybody unhappy! I’m over it! And angry! It’s a nightmare to follow rules for a year to make millions....ughhhhh how about the military fighting for your dang right to play basketball ! !!! They signed up! They follow rules! Take orders! They slaves too? They do get payed but Gezzzzz I’m sidetracked from just all this anger this woman gives me and got off track .....

Last edited:
Reactions: springsportster
I wish he HAD gone to Harvard.
OFC
Nah. I enjoyed watching Carter in a Duke uniform. His mother is making an ass out of herself, not Wendell. I do think he needs to check her, though. He is entering a world of grown men who make millions of dollars and probably don't respect people who have their mommies out there speaking for them on issues they don't even know about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT