ADVERTISEMENT

Miracle Minute

I was skiing with my cousins, and went into the lodge to watch, about 5 minutes to go we left and I was so pissed. When we got home I got online to see how bad we lost and was in absolute shock to see we had one. I wasnt able to go to sleep for a while and watched the highlights on espn. I've watched the replay many times and still get chills watching that last minute.

Reactions: JCColsCane
One of the few Duke games I stopped watching, which taught me to never stop watching Duke games until the end.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I remember watching in my buddy’s place two streets over. Such a crappy game... and then the last minute happened. We were going INSANE:)

Reactions: hart2chesson
Who remembers? Who can forget. Junior year at App. Two best friends were duke fans and we were watching. Great memory.

I was watching this with a bunch of UK fans who were giving me crap all game. Only one person was happy when it was over lol.

Where would you rate this game in the list of greatest comebacks against Maryland in 2001? It's a solid #2 for me :)

Reactions: j_flo
I was in about sixth grade and was supposed to be in bed (mom was very strict and wouldn't let me stay up at the time, but mom goes to bed at 7:30 every night).
Dad let me stay up to watch the game with him. He went to bed with about 3 min left, told me it was over, and I better get in bed as soon as it ended. Well I waited until overtime was over and we had won. Then I went and jumped on my parents bed yelling "we came back and won!"

We both got in trouble for being up too late, but it was well worth it.

Nineteen years ago today. Who remembers?

I was at the game. I was up at UMD, taking a trombone lesson from one of my teachers. My friends studying there had an extra ticket... in the Maryland student section.

I prepared myself for the rough ride, put on my Duke jersey, and embraced the pure, unadulterated vitriol of the Maryland fans... who I still consider the nastiest fans of any sporting team out there.

We all know how the game went. Taunts and jeers turned into bottles and cups being tossed at me. No matter; I was watching Duke history.

After winning after the impossible comeback, we began to leave Cole Field House. I was shoved more than a few times. My friends asked that I take off my jersey. They were afraid of collateral damage.

I hesitantly placed my jersey lovingly in a nearby Bush and covered it with leaves, hoping it was hidden. We left for a bar. There were a few fights... letting you know you were drinking in College Park after a Duke loss.

I returned back the next day to reclaim my jersey. And, there it was, in the same place I left it, except it had been set on fire, and then returned to it’s hiding spot.

Effin’ Maryland fans. Still, it was worth it. I’ll never forget that game or that season.

Reactions: jwill133
I was in college and had a big date, the girl was coming to my apartment and I was going to cook. It was her request and I agreed to it before checking the calendar. I tried to reschedule but she couldn’t believe that a basketball game could be so important.
So there we are and my phone starts blowing up. I finally answer and all my buddies are taunting me. I turn on the TV and MD is shooting free throws to go up by 10 with a minute left. We watch the rest of the game together, witnessed the miracle minute and what I found to be a very stressful overtime.
The next day I bought several copies of the paper, clipped the Duke game recap out of all of them, and hid them in a friend’s place (big MD fan) including his sock drawer and inside his pillow case. He didn’t talk to me for weeks.

I was in college and had a big date, the girl was coming to my apartment and I was going to cook. It was her request and I agreed to it before checking the calendar. I tried to reschedule but she couldn’t believe that a basketball game could be so important.
So there we are and my phone starts blowing up. I finally answer and all my buddies are taunting me. I turn on the TV and MD is shooting free throws to go up by 10 with a minute left. We watch the rest of the game together, witnessed the miracle minute and what I found to be a very stressful overtime.
The next day I bought several copies of the paper, clipped the Duke game recap out of all of them, and hid them in a friend’s place (big MD fan) including his sock drawer and inside his pillow case. He didn’t talk to me for weeks.
Was hoping this story ended with you gave her the miracle minute.

I missed the ending. A girl I was dating who was in college (I was graduated already) had a formal that night and we left her place with a group of people with about a minute left. Found out later Duke had actually won and I was sick about it.

It should be noted, though....I ran into my (future) wife that night for a third time (we had met twice previously and I admit I kind of fancied her even though I was dating someone else) and actually began dating her a few months later.

Reactions: pisgah101
I missed the ending. A girl I was dating who was in college (I was graduated already) had a formal that night and we left her place with a group of people with about a minute left. Found out later Duke had actually won and I was sick about it.

It should be noted, though....I ran into my (future) wife that night for a third time (we had met twice previously and I admit I kind of fancied her even though I was dating someone else) and actually began dating her a few months later.
Had to see about a girl...

Reactions: df64 and dukiejay
I have a similar but more extreme story about a friend of mine that’s a Maryland fan but it doesn’t have to do with the Miracle Minute game and it actually happened about 9 or so years after the Miracle Minute. I can’t remember who we played because the older I get the worse my memory gets but it was a game that we lost. I do remember there being several horrible calls against Duke in the game and a friend of mine that’s a UNC fan posted a status on Facebook talking about how the refs screwed us in the game, so I copied her post word for word and posted a status on Facebook and my friend that’s a Maryland fan kept posting stupid comments on my post, so I kept deleting them then he eventually sent me a private message on Facebook and he started running his mouth and eventually started throwing disrespectful and vulgar insults at me then he deleted me from Facebook and his wife that was also a friend of mine and a Maryland fan also deleted me which surprised me, I’ve always wondered if he might’ve actually been the one that deleted me from his wife’s Facebook because I thought it was weird that she would delete me just because her husband deleted me. I’ve spoken to the two of them maybe once or twice since then which it was about 8-9 years ago when they happened and at the time we had already been friends for 6-8 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT