ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer out?

The big issue is as to whether his wife told him in 2015 about what she had allegedly been told. If she denies telling him that, they have to find another source, which they apparently do not have. I find it hard to believe that he would knowingly keep a wife-beater on his staff. However, if he did, he is an even bigger sh*t-ass than many already thinks he is.

These types of stories are interesting, because we all assume stuff like this is happening already, yet it's supposed to be a big shock when details come to light. College sports are big money, and family friendly perceptions of programs are very import to maintain so that fans keep shoveling their money at the school. Unfortunately, the oversight of these sports organization is minimal, and the watchdogs are usually paid by the whole enterprise itself. That is a recipe for corruption. It's like when safety studies are done on drugs by labs funded by the drug manufacturer. Can we really believe in the product? Urban Meyer is clearly a great business man, and his business is winning at all costs. I hope Duke is cleaner than this in how they operate. Coach K seems to be a man of strong character. My bet is he's broken a few small rules here and there, but that he's never exploited another human being or marginalized his players.

These types of stories are interesting,....
My best friend worked in a shoe store during college. College town, football school. A football player comes in, tries on some shoes, and walks out without paying. The store people are trying to figure out what to do, call the cops, call the team... A couple hours after the theft, an assistant coach comes in and profusely apologizes, and pays for the shoes. Never reported anywhere.
The head coach is a legend. And by nearly every account, a better man than coach. I guarantee you that Coach K has bent some small rules along the way.

My best friend worked in a shoe store during college. College town, football school. A football player comes in, tries on some shoes, and walks out without paying. The store people are trying to figure out what to do, call the cops, call the team... A couple hours after the theft, an assistant coach comes in and profusely apologizes, and pays for the shoes. Never reported anywhere.
The head coach is a legend. And by nearly every account, a better man than coach. I guarantee you that Coach K has bent some small rules along the way.
I think people would be shocked if they knew what happened behind the scenes with their favorite players/coaches.

And it’s not a new phenomenon. I can’t remember the name, but an all-American Harvard football player brazenly jokes about not having to do his own work. This was in the early 1900s. Wish I could find the article.

Then you have a baseball team like the Astros who trade for a guy who is suspended for DV charges. He
I reside in O$U territory. All of the fans I know don't want Urban to be fired. I think they all know how great of a recruiter/motivator he is.

I hope he gets the axe, O$U fans are the most stuck-up, spoiled fans you would ever meet. I just hope O$U doesn't hire Stoops, don't really see another name that would immediately put them back on the map.

Ohio has a boat-load of football talent, but what made Urban great was that he was getting the best athletes out of all the hoods in Florida, Atlanta, etc. to come up to Columbus OH, along with the best players from the roughest neighborhoods in Ohio.
Lol stuck up and spoiled?! The similarities between Ohio State football and Duke basketball is insane.. i know because I’m BOTH.

Reactions: Mac9192
It just bugs me you could potentially end someone’s career, and change their life based on hearsay/accusation. That’s based off just (knowing something) I know it’s wrong (if true) but damn! “You think he should know because you told his wife” ....thats Just not enough for me to fire him, no matter how much smoke there is, you have to prove it imo. Innocent until proven guilty. Forget the past; etc, and focus on just this. Can you prove it or not. They fired the abuser correct? Does this mean the director is just finding out?
Now leave it alone or be able to prove it . Your investigating a bunch of hearsay while you’re paying your coach to leave? I don’t get none of it. I can’t wait to know exactly what they find out, and the conclusion to this is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke937
Are you a Yankees, Lakers, and Patriots fan too???
Nope. Braves, and root for old Duke guys in the nba. Love Lebron but won’t root for the lakers. And the nfl is a joke. Can’t stand that league.

Not that i need to explain myself, I was born in 1991. Grew up in Buckeye country, watched Braves baseball on Tbs every night, and thought there was nothing better than Duke basketball.

If you live in buckeye country like you say, you should jump on board. There is nothing bigger than buckeye football around here. No matter who the coach is.

God I hope your a scum fan!

I'm probably in the minority here, but I feel the head coach should be responsible for what his assistants do or don't do even if he (the HC) doesn't know about it. If Roy didn't know his players were cheating academically for 10 years, then it's on him not to have his academic advisor be more candid with him. If a coach is accused of domestic violence (that is not proven to be false) and nothing is done about it because it's hidden from the HC, then the HC should be responsible for having a culture where things like that are hidden from him. Not saying he should lose his job the first time it happens, but having such a rule will in my opinion help clean things up in a hurry.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Nope. Braves, and root for old Duke guys in the nba. Love Lebron but won’t root for the lakers. And the nfl is a joke. Can’t stand that league.

Not that i need to explain myself, I was born in 1991. Grew up in Buckeye country, watched Braves baseball on Tbs every night, and thought there was nothing better than Duke basketball.

If you live in buckeye country like you say, you should jump on board. There is nothing bigger than buckeye football around here. No matter who the coach is.

Lol, fair enough. I basically put all my passion into Duke basketball and Lebron (yeah, I'm "one of those Lebron guys".) Still love my Cavs, but I will certainly be cheering for the Lakers.

I'm in Cincinnati, and OSU dominates down here. As far as college football goes, I root for Duke and UC. But once it gets down to the "nationally prominent" teams, I've found myself cheering for Clemson. I suppose it's the whole ACC versus SEC thing, plus I LOVED Deshaun Watson and the way he played the game.

I root against OSU every chance I get, nothing against the program, I honestly just root for the big dogs in college football to lose. Hate Michigan and MSU just as much as OSU.
I've been to a few OSU tailgates though, they are INCREDIBLE. Nothing beats a big-time college football tailgate.

Love my Bengals too, just renewed our season tickets.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, and maybe this is just because I don't have it in me, but what possesses someone who calls himself a "man" to punch his pregnant wife in the face? That's unconscionable to someone like me and I'm sure all the posters on here.

I can't imagine having such an anger problem that an act like that even pops into my head, or even manifests as a reflex or instinct.

Last edited:
One last thing . I still don’t understand why she didn’t take the police report to the director the time this happened and be done with it . Why blame others for apparently covering this up when that’s what it seems like she was doing herself at first . Anyways you got him fired, now why go after Meyer? How does the University not be told by police to begin with? How can a police charge be covered up anyway? So you told a few wives, now they suppose to fire everybody, because they should have known and told their husbands, and done something ! All while you did? All you had to do was tell them!!!! The more I think and think about this it makes less sense (to me) ....sounds like tarnishing reputations to me...of course the abusers should be ...of course I don’t know everything so be gentle.

Last edited:

You started off describing me until you said you love Lebron and the NFL is a joke lol. It ended describing the same year I was born though! :)

One last thing . I still don’t understand why she didn’t take the police report to the director the time this happened and be done with it . Why blame others for apparently covering this up when that’s what it seems like she was doing herself at first . Anyways you got him fired, now why go after Meyer? How does the University not be told by police to begin with? How can a police charge be covered up anyway? So you told a few wives, now they suppose to fire everybody, because they should have known and told their husbands, and done something ! All while you did? All you had to do was tell them!!!! The more I think and think about this it makes less sense (to me) ....sounds like tarnishing reputations to me...of course the abusers should be ...of course I don’t know everything so be gentle.
You’re over simplifying a difficult situation. First, Meyer’s wife, as an employee of the school, has a title IX obligation to report something like this. She won’t legallt be in trouble, but’s she in violation of her contract.

Second, the school has not fired Meyer. They have removed him from a bad situation while they investigate. To not do so would open them to potential lawsuits. Mrs Meyer is potentially looking at a massive lawsuit anyway.

Lastly, people who have been abused often don’t report their harrassers. It’s a combination of fear, embarrassment, uncertainty, and betrayal that clouds their actions. It’s really a tragic situation all around.

Reactions: Laettner and dbav
Fair enough....but it still doesn’t make sense. She didn’t want it reported, then she did, then people were suppose to report it when she didn’t , when in fact she did report it to police anyway! .....hahaa you’re not going to understand that nevermind. I just don’t get the point of trying to throw everybody under the bus when your abuser was fired.(if she felt that way) now theyre suppose to fire people that supposedly knew, when she was trying to hide it herself? It came out; he got fired, you got what you wanted; I’m lost after that. I’ll just shut up. OT question. If say Sam Darnold or any rookie never signs his rookie contract what happens ? I’m talking like he doesn’t sign at all what happens. like next year will he be a FA? Or what? Lol

Last edited:
Fair enough....but it still doesn’t make sense. She didn’t want it reported, then she did, then people were suppose to report it when she didn’t , when in fact she did report it to police anyway! .....hahaa you’re not going to understand that nevermind. I just don’t get the point of trying to throw everybody under the bus when your abuser was fired.(if she felt that way) I’ll just shut up. OT question. If say Sam Darnold or any rookie never signs his rookie contract what happens ? I’m talking like he doesn’t sign at all what happens. like next year will he be a FA? Or what? Lol

The wife was persuaded by Meyer's lawyer at Fla & former OSU coach Earl Bruce to not file charges. The guy continued to injure her so she reached out to Mrs. Meyer. The Meyer's did nothing. Urban's contradictory statements about knowing then not knowing is what opened this. The ESPN reporter is urging the wife to tell her story so abuse cases cease. This is not about throwing a coach under the bus, it's an investigation into whether The OSU head football coach was harboring a serial abuser. Wake up man!

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS and dbav
You’re over simplifying a difficult situation. First, Meyer’s wife, as an employee of the school, has a title IX obligation to report something like this. She won’t legallt be in trouble, but’s she in violation of her contract.

Second, the school has not fired Meyer. They have removed him from a bad situation while they investigate. To not do so would open them to potential lawsuits. Mrs Meyer is potentially looking at a massive lawsuit anyway.

Lastly, people who have been abused often don’t report their harrassers. It’s a combination of fear, embarrassment, uncertainty, and betrayal that clouds their actions. It’s really a tragic situation all around.

This guy gets it!

The wife was persuaded by Meyer's lawyer at Fla & former OSU coach Earl Bruce to not file charges. The guy continued to injure her so she reached out to Mrs. Meyer. The Meyer's did nothing. Urban's contradictory statements about knowing then not knowing is what opened this. The ESPN reporter is urging the wife to tell her story so abuse cases cease. This is not about throwing a coach under the bus, it's an investigation into whether The OSU head football coach was harboring a serial abuser. Wake up man!
clears up a lot lol

I've found myself cheering for Clemson

Welcome aboard my man!! Go tigers!!

LwKPtZa.jpg

Reactions: dbav
These clempsun fans down here where I live are out of control. Of course you can’t find em when basketball starts.

These clempsun fans down here where I live are out of control. Of course you can’t find em when basketball starts.

I don't doubt either of those statements! That's part of how I became a Duke basketball fan. When I lived there, basketball was a non topic. Don't remember any family or friends that were basketball fans at all.

Lol, fair enough. I basically put all my passion into Duke basketball and Lebron (yeah, I'm "one of those Lebron guys".) Still love my Cavs, but I will certainly be cheering for the Lakers.

I'm in Cincinnati, and OSU dominates down here. As far as college football goes, I root for Duke and UC. But once it gets down to the "nationally prominent" teams, I've found myself cheering for Clemson. I suppose it's the whole ACC versus SEC thing, plus I LOVED Deshaun Watson and the way he played the game.

I root against OSU every chance I get, nothing against the program, I honestly just root for the big dogs in college football to lose. Hate Michigan and MSU just as much as OSU.
I've been to a few OSU tailgates though, they are INCREDIBLE. Nothing beats a big-time college football tailgate.

Love my Bengals too, just renewed our season tickets.
College sports in general is insane. Saturday’s in the fall are holidays to me and my buddies lol the *ichigan game, pshhh I’ve had to call off the following Monday from work because of it. There are so many places in Dayton that are all about the buckeyes that day. It’s so awesome. I have buddies that have season tickets to the bengals. My dad is a diehard. I’d like to see them win for him.

I can’t root for Clemson. Just can’t. They absolutely OWN Ohio State lol Dabo is awesome. I can’t deny the truth.

I’ll end up pulling for the Lakers. I’m one of those Lebron guys too. Watched him play in high school a few times when I was younger. Was amazed at the dude then. Actually saw his team lose his junior year i think to a small private school at ud arena.

Reactions: jwill133
My 3 most hated schools are UNC, Suckeye U, and the Sooners. So yeah, I hope he is gone and the Suckeyes put on probation, However, the Suckeyes, like the Tarholes seem to be teflon coated , so , I doubt anything come of this. There have been several things back in time that they should have gotten probation for, but, nothing is ever done to those guys.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I'm probably in the minority here, but I feel the head coach should be responsible for what his assistants do or don't do even if he (the HC) doesn't know about it. If Roy didn't know his players were cheating academically for 10 years, then it's on him not to have his academic advisor be more candid with him. If a coach is accused of domestic violence (that is not proven to be false) and nothing is done about it because it's hidden from the HC, then the HC should be responsible for having a culture where things like that are hidden from him. Not saying he should lose his job the first time it happens, but having such a rule will in my opinion help clean things up in a hurry.
Totally disagree. A head coach should not be responsible for policing the private lives of his assistants. What would you want the coach to do? Survey the entire staff on a monthly basis to find out what they know about each other? Ask them if they are still beating their wives? That is not to say that if a coach comes across information that creates a strong presumption that one of his assistants has mistreated a women, he should not report it.

Reactions: dukesince91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT