ADVERTISEMENT

Matching up with UNC Cheat

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
You're coaching Duke for the two regular season games vs UNC. Granted, in two of the three games last year we defended pretty well. However we had a legit rim protector in Mark (Theo somewhat as well), and better all around players.

I am not sure Lively is quite up to the task(Mark had more experience), and there are other mitigating factors that concern me. First of all let me say, my proposals would NEVER HAPPEN on a Duke team, but your thoughts nonetheless.

The late Jim Valvano was marvelously adept at employing junk defenses, be it a 1-3 and chaser ( usually a guard on opposing center), or triangle and two (three under hoop) and two guarding opposing guards.

I like both vs the Cheats, as the 1-3 chaser gets on Bacot's nerves if he puts it on the floor, plus the added safety net of 3 underneath, at least two bigs. The defender out front contests perimeter shots.

The triangle and two is double- fold as I see it.Love and Davis both like to launch 3s, as well as penetrate . Employ a rotation on them, Roach and Proctor, as well as Blakes and even Whitehead.

You have a safety net as well of bigs underneath if they get by their men. Also be mindful of Bacot setting picks at top of key- OUR GUYS MUST DO A. BETTER JOB of talking to one another.

BTW, the three underneath again represent a pretty good line of defense against Bacot. This represents my fave "JUNK" D vs the Cheaters, as it forces Black and Nance(good but not great outside shooters) to both be on from outside against us.

Just have fun with this. It's not meant to be taken real seriously by Duke. I wanted to play homage to the late "Jimmy V," a marvelous bench coach
Who became dear friends with our own Coach K.

OFC

Not really looking forward to playing them this year. Guess we could try a zone but you have to defend the 3.

Reactions: hart2chesson
We better defend them pretty well and all ACC foes for that matter because I don’t see us hanging 85+ points many games.

Leave Leaky wide open. Pressure the guards as they are turnover prone and erratic. Most importantly: box out every single play.

Not really looking forward to playing them this year. Guess we could try a zone but you have to defend the 3.
Scheyer I am thinking would employ the "12" or Orange zone (Syracuse 2-3). Holes would probably pop Nance in middle of lane for quick pop. Hope he's off, and box him out!! OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Maybe. You have to practice the zone. During the glory years Syracuse always had those 6-6 long wings for the zone. We do have Whitehead and Mitchell, but they are young.

Not looking forward either Chris. Usually have great anxiety about the games,but still am excited about our prospects of winning. Must admit at this point its almost like a sense of dread.

OFC

Reactions: christophero
Not worried about UNC as most of you.

Bacot was a load for Mark and Johns was to foul prone . Enter Lively , Young and Flip. That’s three legit bigs to throw at Bacot and one upperclassman with five fouls .
Leaky isn’t guarding the perimeter ( or hope he does) enter Mitchell to attack the basket .

Pressure with a back court of Roach , Proctor, Blakes and Grandison followed by Whitehead/Grandison at the sf spot.
Zone won’t work against UNC. Bacot, Nance, Black and that other shooter they have can flash the foul line . Pressure defense from the point of entry . All UNC’s losses and close games have come off of full court pressure .

Still to much time to correct things to even worry about UNC .

I just want one year where the Cheaters don't shoot way above their average against us. Bacot will get his, Lively has to avoid foul trouble, and we have to shut down the guards. There's a lot of time before then though.

Not worried about UNC as most of you.

Bacot was a load for Mark and Johns was to foul prone . Enter Lively , Young and Flip. That’s three legit bigs to throw at Bacot and one upperclassman with five fouls .
Leaky isn’t guarding the perimeter ( or hope he does) enter Mitchell to attack the basket .

Pressure with a back court of Roach , Proctor, Blakes and Grandison followed by Whitehead/Grandison at the sf spot.
Zone won’t work against UNC. Bacot, Nance, Black and that other shooter they have can flash the foul line . Pressure defense from the point of entry . All UNC’s losses and close games have come off of full court pressure .

Still to much time to correct things to even worry about UNC .
Shey I really do like your optimism about the matchup!

OFC

I'm so sick of losing to those guys. No one but Duke fans even remember our win at their place last year. We certainly can win, but I feel like they win 3 of 4 in a series. The wildcard is if guys like Lively and Whitehead really come on strong, and Roach can stop being intimidated by Love. These rivalries tend to be cyclical, so maybe it's our turn to take the rivalry back. But as long as we play tight and they play with reckless abandon they will win. Maybe the pressure will be off us this year. It kind of annoys me because I think we were the better team last year.

Last edited:
I ain’t scared . These boys will be up for the challenge and Roach will remind them all of the rivalry and Blakes becomes that pest love can’t handle defending him .
Just remember 82-50! Scheyer was apart of that .
You know what your going against with UNC . No one knows what to expect from Duke yet .

I'm so sick of losing to those guys. No one but Duke fans even remember our win at their place last year. We certainly can win, but I feel like they win 3 of 4 in a series. The wildcard is if guys like Lively and Whitehead really come on strong, and Roach can stop being intimidated by Love. These rivalries tend to be cyclical, so maybe it's our turn to take the rivalry back. But as long as we play tight and they play with reckless abandon they will win. Maybe the pressure will be off us this year. It kind of annoys me because I think we were the better team last year.
I ain’t scared . These boys will be up for the challenge and Roach will remind them all of the rivalry and Blakes becomes that pest love can’t handle defending him .
Just remember 82-50! Scheyer was apart of that .
You know what your going against with UNC . No one knows what to expect from Duke yet .
I reposted both because both are so interesting, well thought out and filled with facts.

Chris:
Count me "sick of losing to those guys." Our DECISIVE win in the series is "IGNORED" from last year, probably because less was riding on it, but I will always cherish the butt-kicking especially after the lewd chant to Coach K. That changed the Hubert-K relationship forever as K's family was furious!! K had said earlier in presser in game week of round one: "Hubert Davis is one of the nicest guys on the planet." He found out about THE REAL HUBERT that day!!!

We were the better team. All the festivities in Durham surrounding K's final game in Cameron cast far too much pressure on our guys, and motivated the Cheats to no end. Roger Ayers helped steal the FF game.

Roach is intimidated by Love, and has let Caleb dominate him twice. Jeremy must be a LEADER!!! We should play "loose," we won't be expected to beat them this year.

Shey is spot on. Blakes CAN be the difference-maker!! Kid's got heart of a lion, and I am hoping Wake on the ROAD was his coming out party!!!

We do somewhat have element of surprise this year, as this team is talented but hasn't truly developed an identity. Perhaps this works to our advantage, as Jon is still tinkering.
#GTHCGTH

OFC

Last edited:
They’re rent free in yalls heads. Six weeks until we play them. Lots of games to play before that.
Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy it! As I have always said "I LOVE TO HATE CAROLINA!!!"

Besides, I didn't even know it was six weeks. Got a little countdown goin' there??? JK, you're my buddy.... Tell everybody back home hi!!! OFC

No one matches up with bacot with what he gets away with. He grabs, holds, on the back, pushes, walks, flops and brings his tent, sleeping bag and marshmellows, Hersey bars and graham crackers onto the court. Remind you of someone? He's probably gonna be back next year for his covid year along with both love and davis. I agree with the poster that said don't let love and davis shoot open threes. black has improved with his shooting but until he hits consistantly leave him slone. So far peter has shown no consistantcy but you have to guard him. He's had some decent games. Getting back to bacot we still have to make him unconfortable despite the fact that he is babied as much as hanstravel. The question is If we are healthy how is unc cheat gonna match up with us. OFC

Last edited:
Would love to see our guys pressure Unc full court. Baylor had success with it in March and Indiana had success with it last month. Make Bacot catch the ball from the free throw line and away from the basket.

Roach is 1-4 against UNC so far in his career. And he's the only player with any experience in the rivalry.

Meanwhile Caleb Love is 4-1, and seems to save his best basketball for these games.

At this point of the season, it reminds me of the 15-16 season. On paper, they should handle us.
We will be the underdog for the first time in a while, so maybe that will help.

Last edited:
I got made fun of for comparing this team to the 2016 team a few months back. But right now a 2/3 seed and sweet 16 sounds pretty good. A lot of ball left to be played, but I'm tired of hearing about potential. Time for guys to step up. We have too many guys who are hot and cold from game to game. Last year we had a few but this year nearly the whole team is like that, except for Flip and Young. Saturday is a must win and we should get it, unless they play tight and let FSU hang around.

Last edited:
I got made fun of for comparing this team to the 2016 team a few months back. But right now a 2/3 seed and sweet 16 sounds pretty good. A lot of ball left to be played, but I'm tired of hearing about potential. Time for guys to step up. We have too many guys who are hot and cold from game to game. Last year we had a few but this year nearly the whole team is like that, except for Flip and Young. Saturday is a must win and we should get it, unless they play tight and let FSU hang around.
FSU usually plays Duke tough and I’d be surprised if this year is an exception. A couple of vintage Duke teams have lost to them even one year when they were coached by Roy’s bff Steve Robinson

Roach is 1-4 against UNC so far in his career. And he's the only player with any experience in the rivalry.

Meanwhile Caleb Love is 4-1, and seems to save his best basketball for these games.
Yes but Duke hasn’t been set on defense the last couple of seasons this one isn’t the same and While Roach might can’t guard Love , Blakes will welcome the challenge . And as far as my roach comments I was talking about Dukes team.

Flip isn’t exactly dead on his last two games either. As far as potential that’s all you can hope for because if the team that plays wake shows up Saturday they aren’t a 2/3 seed or headed to the sweet 16 . Saturday is a more of , let’s get on the right track . There are no must win games yet there are still 17 games left before the ACC tourney if it was seven games I’d say a must win .

Reactions: christophero
Flip has had a subpar 2 games but at least he and Young are battling. So is Blakes. The other guys have been too passive. I'd like to see some more toughness. Make a statement Saturday. Dive on the floor. Take some charges.

Last edited:
It’s almost like they can’t put offense and defense together in the same game . I think we will be fine but Lively and Whitehead need to be able to stay healthy and on the court to really max out the teams possibilities.
I also get what some are saying about Reeves but to me IMO he’s another rim protector and he has five fouls to save lively from fouling out .

I’m not saying Duke just rolls over against UNCheat, but Duke will have to be on their A+ game if UNCheat is playing B or higher.

Also, if we see Flip guarding Bacot, aside from more than a simple switch scenario, Duke is in serious trouble.

It also seems like we rarely get Proctor and Roach playing well at the same time. As for Reeves if we're going to play him we need to play him now. Can't just throw him in against Bascot. He didn't play when Lively was out.

Reactions: sheyduke
Unc is not heads and shoulders better than Duke….
Go ahead and sleep my man….it’s an intense rivalry where we get best of both sides. Best of both teams means the cheats have upper hand.

Side note: I’m too many beers deep today (no judging I’m off damnit). @Devilinside and @christophero please tell me the holes choke to Pitt was as glorious as it sounds……

I didn't see the game. I was too busy watching my UCLA Bruins find new and exciting ways to crap the bed in their bowl game.

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
You don’t go zone on UNC. Pressure defense from the entry pass and they can not handle it . Flip and Nance you give the heads up to Nance on defense but he’s not stopping Mitchell his foot speed isn’t quick enough . The rest of the front court throw at Arm and Hammer and block him out .

Ain’t scared . If you need your safety blanket call the 1-800 how is UNC doing hotline .

Go Duke!!

I am so pumped the Cheaters lost today! Like @skysdad I detest them! I am very happy for Jeff Capel- perhaps his biggest win at Pitt.

I haven't seen the stats, so I don't know specifically how UNC's guards did. However they didn't appear to go off like they do in some games, and at least at times seemed to have trouble getting GOOD SHOTS off. In short Pitt seemed to pick their poison and let Bacot have his points. Good strategy, I was talking about in the OP.

OFC

The ACC appears to be better than we thought. UNC, Virginia, Clemson, Pitt, Miami, VT, all teams who could give us trouble. And we never play well at NC State. We need to win tomorrow.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT