ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Bagley III

If Bagley comes to Duke I want to see her right behind Coach K. OFC

Okay okay okay... now you are getting me a little excited that this could actually happen!

giphy.gif

Reactions: dbav
Any idea when a decision/announcement will be made on if he's reclassifying to this year or staying in 2018 clas

I'm pretty sure it's public knowledge he has visit scheduled for Thursday. Let's see what happens from that.

http://thespun.com/acc/duke/duke-re...for-5-star-pf-marvin-bagley-2018s-top-recruit

Glad i bumped it. Not that i have inside contacts from AZ but, the only player in a while that i have seen consider Duke. Pretty much since i moved from NC to AZ. He could be in the top three of players we have next year. Cannot not take him.

Who is suggesting that we wouldn't take Bagley now or in 2018. He would take care of our post needs with or without a healthy Bolden, as Bagley could play Center and Carter could play PF. If he does decide to reclassify to the 2017 class, think Duke is a lock. What a recruiting coup this would be for Coach K and staff.

Reactions: Adamandchangin
Alot of posts dont mean your adding to the conversation. To throw one back at you. If you have been reading this post in the past. There have been a few doubters. But yes your last part of the paragraph is right. Even though your first sentence was just weird. I hope that we get him this year or next. I posted primarily for the link. Also to say I was excited, within my prior post before the last. I tried to inform people of him visiting. Just so you know I like confrontation for affrimation. I can be wrong too. So keep posting! Oh and your point of versatility if he does come we will have multiple mismatches at every position all season long. I prefer him coming this year.

Confucius say everyone remember last seasons expectations so as to not count chickens until chicken hatch.

Have to agree here. I let myself get caught up in the hype and expectations last year and couldn't even enjoy the good parts of the season because I was so sure that team was going to go down as one of our best ever. I am trying not to let that happen this year, but at the same time, I am SO ready to get the season going and find out what we have!!

Reactions: dukephysics
I could care less about where one is projected to go in the draft, that part doesn't give Duke wins. If he doesn't come to Duke, the season will be looked at as bad if they don't get to final 4. With Bagley, it will make Duke look like a failure if the final 4 isn't reached.

I could care less about where one is projected to go in the draft, that part doesn't give Duke wins. If he doesn't come to Duke, the season will be looked at as bad if they don't get to final 4. With Bagley, it will make Duke look like a failure if the final 4 isn't reached.
Fantastic that you don't care. Unfortunately for your sake, top basketball players really really care about the NBA Draft, it helps recruiting.
So yes, it would help Duke win, in the future.

Last edited:
Fantastic that you don't care. Unfortunately for your sake, top basketball players really really care about the NBA Draft, it helps recruiting.
So yes, it would help Duke win, in the future.
Won't argue about the recruiting deal, it helps for sure in that area. Winning Duke will do, but the better the recruits Duke brings in, the more pressure it is to go deep in the tourney. Period. I hope the nba draft isn't all these guys are worried about. I hope that during their short stay, they give it all they've got, cause I pull for Duke and not the nba

I buy into your premise. When K was going to 7 final fours in 9 years the knock on him from jealous opposing fans was "oh K's guys dont do well in the pros." I couldnt have cared less. Dont get me wrong I hope our guys enjoy LONG and PROSPEROUS NBA careers, but I'm first and foremost a Duke TEAM guy! OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Won't argue about the recruiting deal, it helps for sure in that area. Winning Duke will do, but the better the recruits Duke brings in, the more pressure it is to go deep in the tourney. Period. I hope the nba draft isn't all these guys are worried about. I hope that during their short stay, they give it all they've got, cause I pull for Duke and not the nba
So you prefer the 2007-2009, 2012, 2016 seasons for example??? Where it was obvious our roster's weren't up to par and we had a very minimal chance of making the Final 4.

Those seasons weren't memorable ones, for me that is. Give me the up-and-down roller coaster of last seasons talented team over a depleted Duke team any day of the week.

Reactions: Quavarius
I buy into your premise. When K was going to 7 final fours in 9 years the knock on him from jealous opposing fans was "oh K's guys dont do well in the pros." I couldnt have cared less. Dont get me wrong I hope our guys enjoy LONG and PROSPEROUS NBA careers, but I'm first and foremost a Duke TEAM guy! OFC
Different era's. Won't be going to any final 4's without guys that will do well in the pro's. Much less 7 of 9.

So you prefer the 2007-2009, 2012, 2016 seasons for example??? Where it was obvious our roster's weren't up to par and we had a very minimal chance of making the Final 4.

Those seasons weren't memorable ones, for me that is. Give me the up-and-down roller coaster of last seasons talented team over a depleted Duke team any day of the week.
As usual you're missing the point. No one in their right mind was happy during the struggling years, even last season, and this team was more of a letdown because of this elite talent we had. My point is simple, so read carefully: I'm a Duke fan, and don't get giddy over a Duke guy that scores 25 in the pros. That's great for him and recruitment of future kids. However, I'm MORE concerned for the uniform they wear (Duke). If you want to get excited over the pro game, fine, to each his own. This is a Duke message board for fans to talk Duke ball. Where Bagley, Carter, Trent and Duval go in the draft is meaningless to the season they are about to play. When they've played their last game for Duke, then brag to whoever you want to about how high they're gonna go.

Different era's. Won't be going to any final 4's without guys that will do well in the pro's. Much less 7 of 9.

Agreed...but we dont need to neccessarily LOAD UP on the OAD's year after year to win a natty. Really the only guy who was SURE-FIRE NBA once he entered the 14-15 class was Okafor. I'd say it BECAME APPARENT Winslow would likely be leaving w/his solid play, and of course Tyus surprised us.

I just think we need to be careful, because when the chemistry isnt right with 2-4 freshman studs in line-up, it seems early flameouts are becoming the norm....2015 was the EXTREMELY PLEASANT EXCEPTION. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
As usual you're missing the point. No one in their right mind was happy during the struggling years, even last season, and this team was more of a letdown because of this elite talent we had. My point is simple, so read carefully: I'm a Duke fan, and don't get giddy over a Duke guy that scores 25 in the pros. That's great for him and recruitment of future kids. However, I'm MORE concerned for the uniform they wear (Duke). If you want to get excited over the pro game, fine, to each his own. This is a Duke message board for fans to talk Duke ball. Where Bagley, Carter, Trent and Duval go in the draft is meaningless to the season they are about to play. When they've played their last game for Duke, then brag to whoever you want to about how high they're gonna go.
Understandable. To each his own, you are excited about Billy who is at Duke 4 years and works his butt off to develop a nasty sky-hook, and that's fine.
I tend to be more excited about the five-star with the insane highlight video who is dunking on everybody and talking trash. He still gives Duke everything he has, but is only here for 9 months.

No formula guarantees a championship, but it's obvious the route that K has chosen, so may be best to get on board with the OAD train, I heard seats are still available.

Agreed...but we dont need to neccessarily LOAD UP on the OAD's year after year to win a natty. Really the only guy who was SURE-FIRE NBA once he entered the 14-15 class was Okafor. I'd say it BECAME APPARENT Winslow would likely be leaving w/his solid play, and of course Tyus surprised us.

I just think we need to be careful, because when the chemistry isnt right with 2-4 freshman studs in line-up, it seems early flameouts are becoming the norm....2015 was the EXTREMELY PLEASANT EXCEPTION. OFC
I understand what your saying. However something you must account for is that the number of OAD's each year is going to increase.
In the 2017 draft, 17 of the first-round picks were freshman. Going back to 2006 (first year you had to attend college a year) TWO first-round picks were freshman.
My point is...the #20 national recruit for example, would never have been looked at as a potential OAD even 5 years ago. Currently, if your ranked #20 coming into college, your probably leaving as long as your freshman year isn't a disaster.
I don't think K wants a starting lineup of 5 freshman who are all OAD. But I do believe K realizes that a bottom-tier five-star guy is probably gonna be gone, which even recently was not the case. Which...ding ding ding...is a solid explanation as to why we brought in Tucker, O'Connell, and I'll even throw in Goldwire (though on a different tier than Tucker and O'Connell.)

I understand what your saying. However something you must account for is that the number of OAD's each year is going to increase.
In the 2017 draft, 17 of the first-round picks were freshman. Going back to 2006 (first year you had to attend college a year) TWO first-round picks were freshman.
My point is...the #20 national recruit for example, would never have been looked at as a potential OAD even 5 years ago. Currently, if your ranked #20 coming into college, your probably leaving as long as your freshman year isn't a disaster.
I don't think K wants a starting lineup of 5 freshman who are all OAD. But I do believe K realizes that a bottom-tier five-star guy is probably gonna be gone, which even recently was not the case. Which...ding ding ding...is a solid explanation as to why we brought in Tucker, O'Connell, and I'll even throw in Goldwire (though on a different tier than Tucker and O'Connell.)

I agree with your point times have changed DRASTICALLY! Its the current landscape with this rule which everybody from Adam Silver to Coach K agree must change. Also, I think another NUANCE affected by the One and Done is defense.

The team which seemed to BUY IN most to vintage DUKE D in the past 7 years was the 15 team. Winslow could tie you up in knots and was a tremendous help-side defender. It seems under the current system by and large now, K and his staff have trouble establishing things schematically on a defensive basis w/the OAD's. Thats why I think its important to get a Javin DeLaurier minutes to help us on that end. Sure it will be nice to have Bagley, but I worry about losing a kid like JD...

OFC

BOOM! It's a wild ride with the OADs, but remember the mid 2000's when UNC had the better athletes and we were abused before the game ever begin? Now look at whose dominating the series. I remember those "K can't get a big man, Duke players don't do well in the pros, etc."

I like the view just fine now compared to what it used to look like.

Understandable. To each his own, you are excited about Billy who is at Duke 4 years and works his butt off to develop a nasty sky-hook, and that's fine.
I tend to be more excited about the five-star with the insane highlight video who is dunking on everybody and talking trash. He still gives Duke everything he has, but is only here for 9 months.

No formula guarantees a championship, but it's obvious the route that K has chosen, so may be best to get on board with the OAD train, I heard seats are still available.
Listen up Guru Gary, I have nothing against the oad model, just don't want a team full of them. I happen to like 2-3 a year, mixed with veterans. I want Billy the 4 yr guy, and I want the stud.
You seem to divert from the issue, which clearly was the draft status of a kid that hasn't even played a game yet for Duke. The key work here is Duke. I am stoked to see Duval make a great pass or score the winning basket while wearing a Duke uniform than I am for Tatum doing that for the Celtics, no disrespect to Tatum. He was a good player for Duke, got what he came to college for, and has moved on. On to the next set of stars at Duke, and I hope they help win #6 for K.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I agree with your point times have changed DRASTICALLY! Its the current landscape with this rule which everybody from Adam Silver to Coach K agree must change. Also, I think another NUANCE affected by the One and Done is defense.

The team which seemed to BUY IN most to vintage DUKE D in the past 7 years was the 15 team. Winslow could tie you up in knots and was a tremendous help-side defender. It seems under the current system by and large now, K and his staff have trouble establishing things schematically on a defensive basis w/the OAD's. Thats why I think its important to get a Javin DeLaurier minutes to help us on that end. Sure it will be nice to have Bagley, but I worry about losing a kid like JD...

OFC
Won't find a bigger Adam Silver fan than me, it's amazing what he has done for the NBA. The NBA has owned all sports headlines the past month, and there wasn't even real games being played. If there is going to be someone to step in and change the OAD model, it will be Adam Silver (which he has floated around already.)

As far as the defensive aspect goes, I do understand your part. Minus Justise Winslow, every OAD that K has recruited has been far more advanced offensively than defensively (Irving, Rivers, Parker, Okafor, Tyus, Ingram, Tatum, Frank, even Giles.) Literally every single one. For whatever reason, those are the guys K see's to fit best.
There are PLENTY of OAD's each year who are some of the best defender's in the country. Josh Jackson this past season for example, Justise Winslow obviously, Anthony Davis literally won a title with his defense.

The defensive minded guys are out there, we just haven't landed many...I think Wendell could be one though.

Won't find a bigger Adam Silver fan than me, it's amazing what he has done for the NBA. The NBA has owned all sports headlines the past month, and there wasn't even real games being played. If there is going to be someone to step in and change the OAD model, it will be Adam Silver (which he has floated around already.)

As far as the defensive aspect goes, I do understand your part. Minus Justise Winslow, every OAD that K has recruited has been far more advanced offensively than defensively (Irving, Rivers, Parker, Okafor, Tyus, Ingram, Tatum, Frank, even Giles.) Literally every single one. For whatever reason, those are the guys K see's to fit best.
There are PLENTY of OAD's each year who are some of the best defender's in the country. Josh Jackson this past season for example, Justise Winslow obviously, Anthony Davis literally won a title with his defense.

The defensive minded guys are out there, we just haven't landed many...I think Wendell could be one though.

I would say there are far more OAD's that don't play top notch defense than do. I think the AAU circuit has a lot to do with that. I would say our culture has a lot to do with that. Offense gets you paid, defense wins you championships. Please find me a youtube video of an up and coming star that has more plays on defense than offense.

The OAD culture leads to a lot of uncertainty and a disruptive turnover of personnel. A team like UNC has a pretty solid understanding of how their team is going to mesh year in and year out because they have far less turnover in their roster. Every year Duke has to land a slew of the best recruits to field a talented team and then play mad scientist trying to mesh it all together. There is no exact formula that we are missing, it is simply a difficult task trying to win over these recruits and then keep all of them happy and develop them within such a short timeline. There is only so much time to recruit a certain amount of players that there is no way to always get it all right, too many uncertainties that are impossible to predict. We got it all right with Jah Tyus Justise. We may have gotten it right if we hadn't had so many injuries to deal with last year. It is not as if we continue to swing and miss every single year. We are good, we are very good. We enjoyed a lot of success over the OAD era. Yes UNC landed a great crop that stayed multiple years and so they have 2 really really good years. But just because our rival goes deeper in back to back years does it mean we should abandon ship or go back to the drawing board. The OAD era is expanding it is not shrinking and just as easily as UNC can land a good crop they can land a mediocre crop and run into an extended period where not only do we continue to whoop their butt during the regular season but we go further post season as well.

So if all the stars align and Bagley does decide to play for Duke this coming season, when can we expect this to be announced?

Not much a clue but sooner rather than later I would guess. If he's gonna reclassify,regardless of who he picks, it's needs to get done with some speed. That way he can get his credits finished and get into school ASAP. I would guess probably announce by first week of August the very latest. But speculation from me at best.

Again let's just see what happens from the Duke visit!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT