ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Bagley III

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
Anyone think Bagley will stay in 2018 class until Dec. Enroll in College in Jan. Play Jan-March then enter the draft?

Diallo opened a new door for elite HS Sr's who want to get to the NBA as quick as possible. Unlike Diallo, I feel that other players will play to get the attention on Scouts.

Reactions: jamsession3
Billy Walker did it at Kansas State some years ago. I doubt it becomes a trend.

I have a feeling Bagley staying on the west coast. Don't think we have much of a shot at him.

I'd be cautious of the obvious rent-a-players. I'd rather go for the one and dones with some personality that care about a few other things than basketball: someone like Mo Bamba or Duval. There's nothing wrong with wanting to go pro at 19 (that's probably very wise if you're a top 10 player), but IMO Duke should be after guys with at least a glimmer of interest in being a college student. Guys like Bagley are so hyper focused on pro ball, that there's not much room left for the team itself. I'm referring to guys like Rivers. It's not to say these elite talents can't play for the team's best interest at times, Tatum for example really stepped up his defense and passing halfway through the year. Winslow's lightbulb came on at some point. It's hard for me to sit here and judge these young men without knowing them personally. I apologize to guys like Rivers and Tatum who probably have some interesting things they care about besides basketball. I just get the feeling some of these guys are only "sort of" in the brotherhood, or are only good with the brotherhood if they remain lottery picks.

I certainly don't want to go back to the days where a 100% committed Paulus is our best option, so I'm good with whoever we end up getting. I'm sure the coaches weigh the risks.

Last edited:
If he does stay on the west coast, anybody know where he's leaning? Arizona? UCLA?

Anyone think Bagley will stay in 2018 class until Dec. Enroll in College in Jan. Play Jan-March then enter the draft?

Diallo opened a new door for elite HS Sr's who want to get to the NBA as quick as possible. Unlike Diallo, I feel that other players will play to get the attention on Scouts.

He'd have to have graduated in May/June like Diallo did. Diallo was in the middle of a post grad year before he enrolled at UK.

Just don't see a lot of coaches taking a kid like Diallo if they are fairly confident that they will never play in an actual game for the school. Outside of Calipari, Self and Alford, just don't see other major programs putting up with it. Couldn't imagine K, Sean Miller, Izzo, Boeheim, jay Wright and even ole Roy allowing it.

Couldn't imagine K, Sean Miller, Izzo, Boeheim, jay Wright and even ole Roy allowing it.

I don't think any of those coaches, save Sean Miller, would go into a recruitment knowing it's a possibility.....that said, times have changed. K might not have recruited Shaun Livingston 13 years ago had the intent of him going out of high school been an option. But things changed there in a matter of weeks.

Other than McCormack, who are we looking at for the 4/5 spots? With returnees and recruits, we are looking really good at the 1-3. If we have "little" chance of landing Zion or Bagley, We really need another 4/5 or two who can contribute right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Other than McCormack, who are we looking at for the 4/5 spots? With returnees and recruits, we are looking really good at the 1-3. If we have "little" chance of landing Zion or Bagley, We really need another 4/5 or two who can contribute right away.

Oh yeah?

Marvin has set one official visit if i read correctly and that is DUKE in less than a month. So LETS GO DUKE!
I read that his father grew up in Durham and attended NC A&T and played football there. That could help Duke out maybe. But right now I'm still thinking he ends up staying on the west coast, but still a lot of time in his recruitment so we will see.

Should we get Bagley where we will stand with Tre' Jones. OFC

Absolutely agree... he can make any team a final four contender he's that good!
Hope he doesn't reclassify. I really like this team coming up. I realize he's a 'stud' but imo him coming would rock our chemistry. Until some rule changes to stop these kids from reclassifying, this will only get worse. My message to the kids: enjoy being a kid, sometimes being a grown up isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Hope he doesn't reclassify. I really like this team coming up. I realize he's a 'stud' but imo him coming would rock our chemistry. Until some rule changes to stop these kids from reclassifying, this will only get worse. My message to the kids: enjoy being a kid, sometimes being a grown up isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I think it would be a no-brainer to add him if he wants to be a Dukie, but I too would be worried about team chemistry and player motivation. Guys like Bagley have their priorities: 1) NBA 2) Personal Brand 3) Winning. I don't blame him; that's how I would be too. That means Duke comes third, even if there's plenty of overlap among those 3 goals. We got lucky with Tyus, Jah and Justise. They decided to play great team basketball and not worry too much about the rest. You never know if Duval, Carter, Trent and potentially Bagley are going to play nice, be coach-able, etc. It's well worth the risk IMO, because worst case scenario, we blow out other teams with talent alone. Best case scenario we win a title. This year is a particularly good year to play one and dones since we only need to pacify Grayson, who is an NBA talent himself. Vrankovic was never promised anything and our sophs are probably mature enough to handle another year with limited minutes (well, not sure about Marques after he almost transferred). Bottom line is, I think we accept the 1 year rental in this case.

Reactions: dbav
From what I've been readying today, he is seriously considering reclassifying and Duke is a serious contender. His father is from from Durham and mother still lives there. But if we've learned anything from The Black Falcon and Kevin Knox...well you get the idea

Reactions: skysdad

I share your concerns, but if he wants to come to Duke and play this season I dont see a scenario in which K says no.However I do likewise feel good about this team coming up, and would Bagley potentially tear down the CHEMISTRY this team might build up on its international trip??? OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I share your concerns, but if he wants to come to Duke and play this season I dont see a scenario in which K says no.However I do likewise feel good about this team coming up, and would Bagley potentially tear down the CHEMISTRY this team might build up on its international trip??? OFC
The only thing he'll be tearing down are the rims at the Banner Dome. Seriously though, chemistry has to be considered for a moment... then you offer him, because he's very, very good at the game of basketball.

Reactions: Skeelow22
You always take the talent, then you figure it out later.
It's a no brainer really. We would be insane to not want him on next years squad.

Reactions: Quavarius
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Quavarius
You always take the talent, then you figure it out later.
It's a no brainer really. We would be insane to not want him on next years squad.

We didnt figure it out last year, and dont give me the injuries alibi. We had just won in Brooklyn and laid an egg the first weekend of postseason NCAA play.... OFC

There needs to be a deadline for these kids to decide to reclassify. I mean we're in July, and all of the sudden a top dog player considers the option of being able to sign and go to college this upcoming season. Am I the only one who thinks this is more than odd? The staff has worked their tails off, recruited hard to get the team set for the next season and bam! a young stud makes himself eligible. The schools are in a tough spot as well, cause you don't want him going to your competition either.

For every 2015 team loaded with OAD talent there will be a 2017 team. I'll take 50% success rate any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Also I do not agree with the UK model of going after strictly guys that are OAD. I like our model best, get a few elite guys each year and sprinkle them in with guys that have been here and gone through the reps already

Next years team has our most accomplished senior since...Singler? That's outstanding and we also have a point guard who should be able to take care of everyone. I do question our ceiling though as we may not be as talented as years past or as other top teams next year. We also have major question marks inside even with Carter coming in.
Bagley, if he is anywhere close to what he is projected to be, would help all those issues.

Also I do not agree with the UK model of going after strictly guys that are OAD. I like our model best, get a few elite guys each year and sprinkle them in with guys that have been here and gone through the reps already

Next years team has our most accomplished senior since...Singler? That's outstanding and we also have a point guard who should be able to take care of everyone. I do question our ceiling though as we may not be as talented as years past or as other top teams next year. We also have major question marks inside even with Carter coming in.
Bagley, if he is anywhere close to what he is projected to be, would help all those issues.
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Your post earlier said always take the talent and figure it out later, now you say you don't like UK's model of strictly going after one and done's. You do realize, Socrates, that if Duke lands Bagley we will have 4 one and done's with a sophomore probably going pro and a senior don't you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT